Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Happy 42nd birthday to the cricket world's favourite Pakistani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

gay picnic defence posted:

What was that about?

Stokes has been "sledging" Samuels all match, Stokes goes and gets himself out, and tada!

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

gay picnic defence posted:

What was that about?

Samuels wanted to pay his respects to a fallen ginger. I think everyone found it amusing except for Stokes, who appears to be a humourless oval office. They've been sledging each other since the first test. Anderson gave Samuels a send off in the first innings. Hopefully they do a guard of honour or something for him in the second innings.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

monkeu posted:

I'm just going to leave this here so I can find it when the Ashes roll around and everyone starts whining about the big mean Aussies sledging the poor noble English lads again.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/sledging-england-west-indies-second-test-ben-stokes-stuart-broad-chris-jordan-marlon-samuels/2015-04-23

We're alright thanks, the world cup is over now, you can stop posting here

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The IPL is the true world cup though and that hasn't finished yet

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
England sledging people? I doubt it. Joe Root looks like he still loses his lunch money to the school bully and most of the others are far too public schooled to resort to vulgarity.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Joe Root for his age is an absurdly good talent. Him and Kane Williamson are scarily good for under 25.

Can't wait to see how England ruin him lolz.
Sadly, I can already think of three possibilities:

1. That back problem. If it becomes chronic, he might go the way of Atherton and Clarke.
2. Getting the captaincy and reacting badly to it.
3. Going back to opening the batting and reacting badly to it.

Or hey, all three at once because the selectors never rain but they pour. On the other hand, he's showed in the way that he's bounced back from the Ashes tour that he's pretty good at working out when something's going wrong and then fixing it, so maybe he'll overcome these things too. For now, I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts :unsmith:

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 24, 2015

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Broad was self-admittedly a good bloke until he spent a season playing club cricket in the western suburbs of Melbourne

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
I suspect that Stokes would last exactly 5 seconds in a physical confrontation with Marlon Samuels who is an extremely big unit.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

but when Stokes made that Ashes ton everyone was saying how brave he was to face up to MiJo and the rest of the team could learn from his example

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Lionel Richie posted:

We're alright thanks, the world cup is over now, you can stop posting here

On the contrary. I'm getting pumped for back to back Aussie Ashes white washes :swoon:

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Stokes can handle himself I reckon, he's probably done a bit of rugby league so if it got down to a bit of rumble and tumble he'd be straight for the finger up the anus or whatever those people get up to.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

monkeu posted:

On the contrary. I'm getting pumped for back to back Aussie Ashes white washes :swoon:

I don't think Aus is good enough to go 5-0 in England. I'm thinking 3-1 at best.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Stokes' feeble fist crumpled against a flimsy locker door. He would have no chance against Big Marlon

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost
The weather in England isn't good enough for a 5-0 anything.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

-Spiffy- posted:

The weather in England isn't good enough for a 5-0 anything.

Unless we are playing football.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

monkeu posted:

Once again the Aussies prove themselves to be racist bastards. When we have both Rashid and Moeen in the side, phwoah, multi-cultural wash all over the place

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I hope Carberry comes back tbh. All the Aussies were scared of him.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

I do hope Root gets made captain for the ashes. It would be good to have two children at the toss of the coin.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
If Roebuck was still alive he'd be very eager to cover the series

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well this thread just went out the window.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Airstream Driver posted:

I do hope Root gets made captain for the ashes. It would be good to have two children at the toss of the coin.

but the australian captain is a decrepit old man

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

serious gaylord posted:

It still puzzles me why he and KP were made the scapegoats from that series.
(I do know why, but logically it never made sense).

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Reminder that the ECB wouldn't fly Carberry's mum out for boxing day, but the Perth Scorchers let her stay for a few weeks I think.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

RideTheSpiral posted:

but the australian captain is a decrepit old man

I must admit I completely forgot about him. He'll probably break his hip at the old people's home before the first test though.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Scylo posted:

If Roebuck was still alive he'd be very eager to cover the series

he'd give alistair cook a jolly good canning on the bottom

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

No Australian person knows what to do when faced by a black man in a space helmet. It is confusing on multiple levels

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The earrings are very intimidating.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
If Chris Rogers bats out the Ashes without getting a duck he will have the most test innings with one

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Scylo posted:

Reminder that the ECB wouldn't fly Carberry's mum out for boxing day, but the Perth Scorchers let her stay for a few weeks I think.

Reminder that they flew out a bunch of relatives for the other English players but not Carberrys.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

RideTheSpiral posted:

I suspect that Stokes would last exactly 5 seconds in a physical confrontation with Marlon Samuels who is an extremely big unit.

Phwoar, bit hot this.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

RideTheSpiral posted:

If Chris Rogers bats out the Ashes without getting a duck he will have the most test innings with one

I'd completely forgotten he even existed.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

This record was held by James "Jimmy" Anderson until a couple of years ago

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

serious gaylord posted:

Reminder that they flew out a bunch of relatives for the other English players but not Carberrys.

wasn't it because they said that carberry's mum would be a distraction for him, but the partners and kids of the other players obviously wouldn't be

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Drugs posted:

This record was held by James "Jimmy" Anderson until a couple of years ago

I'm not calling you a liar but this can't possibly be true and you should consider why youre lying on the internet like this

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
England's record for most career ducks is jointly held by three people: Monty, Harmison and... Michael Atherton.

Both Jimmy and Broad are five behind, which means that they might just beat that record

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Good bowling that

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Josh Butler out!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

England only going over at 3.07, so terribly boring