Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

The other loving scary bit is that the cruise control stalk is right next to the turn signal stalk:

So not only are the turn signals weird compared to regular cars, fighting with their weirdness may accidentally engage cruise control when you really really don't want it (i.e. any time you're confused about turn signals).
Ugh, every time I drive my Dad's BM, I keep accidentally flashing my high beams at people rather than getting the cruise control!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

InitialDave posted:

Ugh, every time I drive my Dad's BM, I keep accidentally flashing my high beams at people rather than getting the cruise control!

I have a great vision in my head of you driving a 4 wheeled poop down the highway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nitrogen posted:

I have a great vision in my head of you driving a 4 wheeled poop down the highway.
It is a diesel.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I tried to wash my screen and just blinded the poor doofus in the prius in front of me today. I've only owned the car for nearly 2 years. I felt like a right prick though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I kinda like the nifty lane change signal feature.

Speaking of idiots

Single car. Straight down the street. I don't fuggin understand. That's a slight downhill, and I used to drive that road every day to go to school. I can't even think of a manner in which one must gently caress up to put a drat CIVIC on the roof there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Beach Bum posted:

Speaking of idiots

Single car. Straight down the street. I don't fuggin understand. That's a slight downhill, and I used to drive that road every day to go to school. I can't even think of a manner in which one must gently caress up to put a drat CIVIC on the roof there.

My cousin did that in highschool in a 25 mph neighborhood, she said she swerved to avoid a cat and rolled it. I forget if it was a Civic or a Corolla.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Powershift posted:

Woah, mercedes have signal lights now?

Two different idiots. I live in massachusetts, those were just the two most notable ones.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

PT6A posted:

One of my city's incredibly gifted drivers managed to cause a fatal, single-vehicle rollover on a straight expressway, in good weather conditions. I'm still curious how the gently caress that can even happen. I'm not sure I could roll my car on a dry expressway without hitting/clipping something first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl6K8ai5J9s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Amazing how many Aussie males don't understand oversteer, considering how many RWD cars there are here

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Beach Bum posted:

Speaking of idiots

~tallahassee~

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

You Am I posted:

Amazing how many Aussie males don't understand oversteer, considering how many RWD cars there are here

You think the average driver knows even the definition of the term?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

You Am I posted:

I've noticed that as well, I attribute it to the fact the worst weather most people see is a bit of light rain a few times per year, especially over here in Perth. A while back I was riding my bike home from work in just some normal rain, and watched a guy stop, make a right turn, and end up backwards on the verge after doing a 180 at about 15kph. No braking, no letting off the gas, no steering into the turn. Just foot on throttle the entire time until he was off the road and lost all traction in the wet grass. Just zero concept of loss of control.

Had the most WTF the moment driving home from work earlier this week. Merging onto the freeway in a construction zone with heavy peak hour traffic. It's a really lovely merge point, so you just have to rely on the freeway traffic to let you in, which almost always works fine. This time however, a guy pulling a trailer on the freeway decides he absolutely must be in front of the guy merging a few hundred metres in front of me, so speeds up to fill the gap and almost forces the merging guy into the jersey barrier. Not content with just running him off the road, he boxes the merging guy in between the truck/trailer and barrier, stops and blocks an entire freeway lane, climbs out of his truck and starts having a go. Yells at the guy for 30 seconds, hits his side mirror, spits on the windshield, then gets back in his truck and drives away. I had my wife, 2 year old and 7 month old in the car, so I just laid on the horn the entire time instead of swearing my head off out the window or something else dumb. Horn seemed to work quite well, I imagine it's hard to yell anything with a horn blaring a few metres away, so at least he gave up on that fairly quick.

Seriously, blocked half the freeway in a construction zone during peak hour, just because of some perceived merging slight. Guy that he blocked did exactly the right thing, kept the door/windows closed and didn't engage at all.

I was thinking after the fact, if I've got 2 kids in the car, do you think I could get away with just running over someone who pulls a stunt like that, and then just claim I feared for their safety? I'd never actually do it, but man it sure is nice to dream. Also, we were thinking it would be hilarious if someone just pulled up alongside, hopped out and drove his truck away while he's out ranting. Just drive it up a couple km where the construction ends and leave it in the ditch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

One of my city's incredibly gifted drivers managed to cause a fatal, single-vehicle rollover on a straight expressway, in good weather conditions. I'm still curious how the gently caress that can even happen. I'm not sure I could roll my car on a dry expressway without hitting/clipping something first.

If it's the one from last night, my theory is that she drove her Maxima too fast, made some abrupt movement, got the car into a tankslapper, panic-lifted, counter-steered off the side of a highway, did a flat spin into a drainage culvert, and then went up the other side of the culvert and rolled the bitch 80 meters through a fence onto a golf course, ejecting her unbelted passenger. Tank slappers are probably how most people have single vehicle crashes going straight at high speeds and I bet being drunk didn't really help her recovery skills.

If you have to go off the road, try to go off straight.

A couple years ago someone in an Astra going northbound at 64th & Deerfoot did an even more incredible smash - she slid out of the right lane onto the grass, drove up the inside of a cloverleaf and launched directly into the centre of a bridge abutment, obliterating her car at 180kph.

Probably looked just like this classic, except on the right side of the road:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ6CPIM1ZCs

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 24, 2015

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Saw two Prius drivers actually use their turn signals and drive perfectly fine.

The other 20 I saw, however...loving idiots.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

This conversation is SO stereotypically Australian.

"Oy, mate! Ya al'roight?"
"YeaAA mate. Facken' couldn't give us a bloodly tow mate, yeah mate cause you got any bloody tchunes on."
"Woat 'appened?"
"Ohh ha heh, well I wedged 'er on this bloody...fackin'...railin' mate. I'll be honest with ya mate, I was facin' that way an I'm ended up facin' this way mate."

I love Aussies :allears:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
There's been plenty discussion about lovely driver stereotypes, like the geezer gold caddys/buicks and bro trucks and whatnot, but I've wondered a little about what might give a hint that the guy in the next lane is probably a decent driver.

I thought maybe your basic classic car, or anything 10+ years old without dents/scrapes/bald tires? Maybe there's not a lot to really indicate it because you don't notice the ones that don't gently caress up.

I dunno, its just idle thought. What do you all think about it?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've been cut off and abused by every make and model of car I can name, likewise every stereotypical jerkbag car has let me in or otherwise behaved reasonable. It's nothing to do with the car.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Except BMW's. All BMW drivers are pricks. Except me of course, I was a fantastic BMW driver.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I dunno, performance car + percieved status + immaturity = dick drivers

Unless you are a van driver. I think they are required to suck in order to get a company van to drive around in

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Cakefool posted:

It's nothing to do with the car.

It's about the odds. If I see a bro truck with stacks and a hippiehater.com sticker, I expect a 50% chance of dick maneuvers, or a gold caddy with a faded Romney sticker, I figure good odds of 35 max in a 45 zone. They don't always fit the stereotype and its nice to be pleasantly surprised.

Like I said, the ones that don't drive like buttheads don't stand out so I guess it'll remain an unknown pending further observation.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Locator posted:

Except BMW's. All BMW drivers are pricks. Except me of course, I was a fantastic BMW driver.

Jeremy Clarkson commented that Audi drivers are the new BMW drivers.

In the UK, at least, I agree with him.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

spog posted:

Game recognize game

;)

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Holy gently caress, I researched that a bit, and not only did he do it in an '85 Firebird, he actually lived to tell the tale, relatively unscathed.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

dee eight posted:

There's been plenty discussion about lovely driver stereotypes, like the geezer gold caddys/buicks and bro trucks and whatnot, but I've wondered a little about what might give a hint that the guy in the next lane is probably a decent driver.

I thought maybe your basic classic car, or anything 10+ years old without dents/scrapes/bald tires? Maybe there's not a lot to really indicate it because you don't notice the ones that don't gently caress up.

I dunno, its just idle thought. What do you all think about it?

People with both hands on the wheel, who are staying perfectly in the center of the lane.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sigma X posted:

People with both hands on the wheel, who are staying perfectly in the center of the lane.

...and those who aren't on facebook on their phone whilst driving.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

spog posted:

As much as it pains me to agree with Clarkson on anything, he is 100% correct about the U.S. as well. I recently moved to an area full of yuppies and rich IT workers, and hooooly poo poo the bad drivers.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

PT6A posted:

No, I know what may have caused this one because I've done it before myself. Certain makes of car have turning signals that operate a little bit differently from normal. For example, in my Mustang, one moves the turning signal to the top or bottom of its range to turn it on and keep it on. If you just want a few blinks, you push it halfway, either up or down, and release it when you're finished. It turns off immediately. My Dad's Mercedes does not work like this! To turn the signal all the way on, you do the same thing! However, when you push the signal halfway, it will turn on for (I think) 4 blinks regardless of when you release it. So, I go ahead and hold the signal halfway down and change lanes. The signal stays on. Thinking I've pushed it all the way to the top, I tap it down. Now it's blinking 4 times for the other direction. It took me a while to realize what the gently caress was going on and that the thing to do was just leave it the gently caress alone, and I can't imagine how much a pillock I looked to the people around me.

loving "new technology" trying to get too clever, I tell you what...

I had to come back to this because I ran into the same issue when I rented a Ford Edge back in October of last year. I was that idiot that was signalling back and forth but only because despite signal stalk technology being more than adequate for the past century, some manufacturers are seeing fit to change it. Here's the excerpt from the Edge manual:

quote:

DIRECTION INDICATORS
The turn signal lever does not mechanically lock in the upward or
downward position when activated. The turn signal control activation and
cancellation is electronic.
• Push down to activate the left turn
signal.
• Push up to activate the right turn
signal.
• Push the lever again in either direction to manually cancel turn signal
operation.
Note: Tap the lever up or down to make the direction indicators flash
only three times to indicate a lane change.

It works perfectly fine once you know how it works but if it's new to you, it can be pretty baffling. No excuse though if you've owned the car at least a couple weeks and don't know how it works.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SiliconX posted:

Here's the excerpt from the Edge manual:

That almost, but not quite, works like a motorcycle turn signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5impZhA2UeY

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Twice in two days now I've had cars in a turn-only lane next to the lane I'm in decide at the moment the lane ends that NOPE they don't want to turn or be in that lane and would rather just cut me off, almost causing me to rear-end them...then leave their blinkers on (yeah, they both actually used their blinkers. Not to turn into MY lane when they cut me off, but when they were in the turn-only lane) for the next mile and a half.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

SiliconX posted:

I had to come back to this because I ran into the same issue when I rented a Ford Edge back in October of last year. I was that idiot that was signalling back and forth but only because despite signal stalk technology being more than adequate for the past century, some manufacturers are seeing fit to change it. Here's the excerpt from the Edge manual:

It works perfectly fine once you know how it works but if it's new to you, it can be pretty baffling. No excuse though if you've owned the car at least a couple weeks and don't know how it works.

I remember the exact same thing in a rental F-150, the good thing about it is that with the indicator not locking in place you get less zombies driving 20 miles down the interstate with their turn signal on. OTOH I remember my first time driving a car with a signal that locked like normal but had the 3 flash bump feature "for lane changes" and I was the driver going down the road flashing every direction trying to figure out WTF was going on. My Impala has turn signals like normal but also the bump for lane changes and I feel it is simply not long enough to make a lane change, 3 flashes (or however many the vehicle does, I think it's more than 3) means you have already started your lane change, it does not signal long enough to give the drivers around you warning that you are about to start a lane change.

Unrelated but on the question of "where are the good drivers?" they are all in the right lane, doing the limit or the limit + 5 as I pass them in the left lane going slightly faster than they are. There are really thousands of good drivers out there, but confirmation bias makes people think the roads are doomed. And Audi, BMW, Porsche, <luxury brand>, and Dodge drivers are always assholes. :)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Crotch Fruit posted:

3 flashes (or however many the vehicle does, I think it's more than 3) means you have already started your lane change, it does not signal long enough to give the drivers around you warning that you are about to start a lane change.

I can't wrap my head around why it would mean that and what the problem is with 3 flashes before you change lanes?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I can't really explain his sentence, but my car also does three flashes and it's not enough in traffic. It flashes twice before I even begin changing lanes, giving one last flash just as one set of wheels crosses the line. I need four flashes minimum.

My usual method is to hit the flasher, start changing lanes, and hit the flasher a second time part way through. That gives me 5-6 flashes to work with.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/04/23/woman-shot-near-windsor/26232009/

There have been a few windows shot out and now a woman has been hit in the neck. This section is notorious for people that just cruise at the speed limit in the left lane.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If it's the one from last night, my theory is that she drove her Maxima too fast, made some abrupt movement, got the car into a tankslapper, panic-lifted, counter-steered off the side of a highway, did a flat spin into a drainage culvert, and then went up the other side of the culvert and rolled the bitch 80 meters through a fence onto a golf course, ejecting her unbelted passenger. Tank slappers are probably how most people have single vehicle crashes going straight at high speeds and I bet being drunk didn't really help her recovery skills.

If you have to go off the road, try to go off straight.

A couple years ago someone in an Astra going northbound at 64th & Deerfoot did an even more incredible smash - she slid out of the right lane onto the grass, drove up the inside of a cloverleaf and launched directly into the centre of a bridge abutment, obliterating her car at 180kph.

Does that apply to fwd cars? I thought "don't lift" was meant for rwd setups.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just tap the stalk a second time when the first triple flashes ends. Or I click it on. Either way is no big deal to perform.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I usually don't care if the flashes stop once I'm on my way to the other lane. I guess to me the signalling is something that should happen before, not necessarily during the lane change.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Does that apply to fwd cars? I thought "don't lift" was meant for rwd setups.

Any abrupt movement is going to help unsettle the car further; in a lot of cases you see people go from full throttle to zero throttle and shoves the weight of the car forward onto the front tires, which shocks them some more.

It is true that in the case where a car is fishtailing from the rear letting go of the throttle will put more weight onto the front which lets you steer, but I'm willing to bet that there was some good old fashioned panic steering also happening and she found the right combination of weight distribution and wheel position to catch the rubber-band effect when she suddenly got grip in the front. She probably ended up with terminal understeer rather than terminal oversteer owing to the fact it was an FWD, and the elevation change of the ditch added the extra push.

Of course all of this also assumes that the drunk blowing down a highway at night in a 14 year old Nissan Maxima has kept her car in maintenance and her tires at the appropriate tread level.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 24, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also, it doesn't matter which wheels are doing the thrusting; in a turn you're generally traveling at (relatively) constant speed anyway.

Also, no matter the layout, the rear wheels are what keep the car pointing straight, especially under braking. You've got forward momentum anchored by a braking force up front; picture it like pushing up on a pendulum. If it's even slightly off-center, that pendulum is gonna swing up pretty drat quick without something holding it in place.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I have a confession to make, I was a person you drove with. A few years back I had just come off of an alighted and went to visit family, took the ride back from PA on I80 bout 2/3rd the way through Jersey. One moment I think I'm fine, the next I hear shouting from my mother in the passenger seat and it's dark? I opened my eyes, going sideways left at an unknown rate of speed. Oh poo poo!

I had no idea what the hell was going on, but I managed to remember that the car was FWD, and so I gassed it and went full left, managed to get myself going straight again and back on the roadway before pulling over. Somehow between passing out and recovering, I managed not to hit anything and chose drat near the only grassy median in the entire state with nothing to hit.

Since then I've had my Jesus moment and turned my terrible driving habits around including fatigued driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

B4Ctom1 posted:

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/2015/04/23/woman-shot-near-windsor/26232009/

There have been a few windows shot out and now a woman has been hit in the neck. This section is notorious for people that just cruise at the speed limit in the left lane.

Yikes. The entirety of Colorado seems to be notorious for people who just cruise at the speed limit in the left lane. Overall we probably don't have it as bad as other states though. My wife can get upset with me for changing lanes back and forth but sometimes I'd just rather go 3mph slower in the right lane and not be in the line of cars passing.