Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Somaen posted:

Ukraine is an interesting component of this situation, because Kadyrov swore loyalty and protecting the interests of Russia and sent people to Donbass to show his deep loyalty. He must feel pretty betrayed after Putin let the investigators dig into the Nemtsov murder, arrest the assassin and now shoot some other guy in the middle of Grozny.

Swearing fealty and raising levies like it's the year of our lord 1015. Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Disinterested posted:

This poo poo is not complicated.

It is when you switch who you're supposedly responding to multiple times, with no indication thereof. You ninja edited your first post to reply to Skeesix, then you said in your followup that you were arguing with Cingulate- so your posting seems to have confused even yourself.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 23, 2015

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The Verkhovna Rada just passed an ammendment to the decomunization/Communist and Nazi symbol ban law to clarify which stuff they didn't ban. New exclusion is old documents (such as diplomas), and they made not applying to military stuff explicit, rather than subject to interpretation. Oh so does UP's report say, anyway --- I can't seem to find the amendment text on the Rada's site (the vote page just gives the original bill's number).

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Discendo Vox posted:

It is when you switch who you're supposedly responding to multiple times, with no indication thereof. You ninja edited your first post to reply to Skeesix, then you said in your followup that you were arguing with Cingulate- so your posting seems to have confused even yourself.

I'm p sure I didn't edit my post and at no point have been arguing with cingulate, who reiterated my view.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Cingulate posted:

Hey, can anybody link me to a good summary on the Nemtsov/Kadyrov thing? I have completely missed everything.
I am very convinced he is extremely passionate about the cause. He's never held back when going out in the field where the bullets fly.

I don't know if there's a good summary in English, I found these point to the key events:

1) http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/08/boris-nemtsov-five-suspects-appear-in-court-over-opposition-leaders-killing
2) http://carnegie.ru/eurasiaoutlook/?fa=59484
3) http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article.php?id=519667

However, all of them seem to be missing really hosed up facts that surfaced recently. The first is that on the 30th of May 2014, Nemtsov sent an official inquiry to the director of the FSB about the Chechen mercenaries being sent to Donetsk. Nemtsov's close friend Ilya Yashin says that it suggests he was digging on powerful people in Chechnya and it might've been the reason for his murder.

Secondly is that the investigative comittee of Russia was not allowed to question Ruslan Geremeev, who is suspected of being the organizer of Nemtsov's murder and was the deputy commander of the Sever specnaz battallion. He was heavily guarded by Checnyan special forces in his native village and the feds and investigators were told to gently caress off for a few weeks. After that he was reported to have fled Russia and has been spotted in the UAE.

Edit: Stratfor has a decent summary actually: https://www.stratfor.com/analysis/chechen-link-russian-activists-death

Somaen fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 23, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, in the field of linguistics he is actually a titan, but in history and political science, not so much.

He's enough of a titan in linguistics that he's even affected computer science with the Chomsky hierarchy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bearic posted:

Remember those horrible wildfires in Siberia that have killed over 30 people? A while ago a Russian official blamed the "opposition" for starting the fires.

Today, it came out that at least one of the wildfires was caused by a 1TV (Russian state TV) journalist who started a fire with a cigarette for a better 'background' in a video report. Seriously

http://m.gazeta.ru/social/news/2015/04/23/n_7135561.shtml
Primary source seems to be somewhat lacking. Are we sure this isn't "вброс"?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cA9cGUGr00

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

bearic posted:

Remember those horrible wildfires in Siberia that have killed over 30 people? A while ago a Russian official blamed the "opposition" for starting the fires.

Today, it came out that at least one of the wildfires was caused by a 1TV (Russian state TV) journalist who started a fire with a cigarette for a better 'background' in a video report. Seriously

http://m.gazeta.ru/social/news/2015/04/23/n_7135561.shtml

What a barbaric state.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russia will deplete most of their reserves by the end of the year if they continue the current level of support for the Ruble.

http://top.rbc.ru/finances/22/04/2015/5537975b9a79474dc1d65359

quote:

Sberbank has warned of the risk of exhaustion of the Reserve Fund in 2015

Deficit in the plan

This week, President Vladimir Putin signed a new amended draft budget for 2015. Due to the decline in oil prices budget revenues will be reduced by $ 2.5 trillion. rub., resulting in a budget deficit of 2.7 trillion rubles. Close his government expects from the Reserve Fund.

As the director of the Center for Macroeconomic Research (CMR) of the Savings Bank Julius Tseplyaeva, in reality, the government may have to spend to cover the budget deficit much more. The main reasons - reducing oil and gas revenues due to the strengthening of the ruble and the rising costs of transfers to the regions.

Oil and gas revenues may be less

As stated in the review "New Realities Russian state finances", prepared by the CME Savings Bank, in 2015, we can not exclude a significant growth of the ruble even at oil prices of $ 50 per barrel. This has a positive impact on consumer demand, but will lead to a further reduction in oil and gas revenues. "For example, the weakening of the dollar to 55 rubles. reduce the price of a barrel with 3075 rubles. up to 2750 rubles. This will lead to a further reduction in oil and gas revenues of 600 billion rubles., That the government will have to compensate for the expense of the Reserve Fund ", - explained Tseplyaeva.

Chief economist for Russia and CIS countries "Renaissance Capital" Oleg Kuzmin agree that at certain times of the ruble may strengthen even at a stable price of oil. "The situation in the financial market has stabilized, we see the normal volatility of the ruble," - he said.

According to Kuzmin, the Central Bank will not explicitly oppose the strengthening of the ruble. "The expected reduction in the rate of the Central Bank are related to the factor of inflation. We can see that from the beginning of the year the regulator to cut rates, but the ruble is still growing, "- said the economist. As for raising rates on foreign currency Repo (the end of March the Central Bank increased three times the cost of funding for banks in foreign currency), then, as explained Kuzmin, CB simply reduces the pressure on foreign exchange reserves, and also uses the rate hike as a tool to combat the schemes carry trade.

"In a situation of further strengthening of the ruble at constant prices of oil revenues of the budget, of course, be reduced," - says the first vice president of Gazprombank Ekaterina Trofimova. According to her calculations, with the average annual rate of 45 rubles. / US $. Government will need to find an additional 400 billion rubles.

Regions are asking the ruble

Another major item of expenditure, due to which the budget deficit could grow, is a transfer region. Because of falling revenues from income tax and personal income tax revenue shortfall of regional budgets can make 650 billion rubles. The volume of transfers to the regions, budgeted in 2015 is 619 billion rubles.

"It is difficult to expect that the regions will be able to fund additional loss of income (particularly on income tax and personal income tax) due to market sources," - said the study Sberbank. Even in the more prosperous 2014 managed to place 111 billion rubles. regional securities when refinancing needs in 121 billion. rubles. Increased significantly and debt of regional budgets to banks: at the end of 2014 - 1.07 trillion rubles. According to Tseplyaeva, some regions may require support to maintain the accumulated debts, and "transfer can easily grow to 1.2-1.3 trillion rubles.".

In addition, according to Tseplyaeva, although the situation in the banking sector returned to normal, we can not exclude that the banks need additional assistance from the state. Additional funding may be required and companies. The list of strategic enterprises MER includes 199 companies, while the support of 170 billion rubles. the state promised only "United Aircraft Corporation".

The budget deficit may be partly offset by additional revenues from VAT. But this, according to CMR Savings Bank, a total of 200 billion rubles.

Will the reserve fund

As a result, the government may require additional 800 billion rubles., Which have to be taken from the reserve fund, sums up Julia Tseplyaeva. According to the economist, the situation repeats 2008-2009, when the lion's share of the reserve fund was spent. By the end of 2010 it amounted to 770 billion rubles in all.

By the end of 2015 the Reserve Fund may be even less. As the Tseplyaeva, depreciation of the euro against the dollar and the ruble has already led to a decline in the fund since the beginning of the year in ruble terms to 545 billion rubles. April 1, the fund was 4.4 trillion. rub., this year it is planned to take out up to 3.1 trillion rubles. Taking into account the additional amount of $ 800 billion at the end of the year in the fund may remain little more than 10% of the current amount of funds.

In this case, the government's ability to find other sources of borrowing (in addition to the Reserve Fund) to cover the budget deficit is extremely limited. For example, according to the plans in 2015, the Ministry of Finance must place OFZ $ 1 trillion rubles. "Probably, this plan will have to be adjusted so as not to displace from the market of corporate borrowers. And past experience says that plans to deploy never performed: in 2011 the Ministry of Finance managed to place only 58% of the planned amount, and in 2013 from the planned to the OFZ 1.02 trillion rubles. was taken by only 300 billion, "- said the study Sberbank.

"I do not think that the Ministry of Finance will have problems with the financing of the budget deficit, even with strong ruble. The current oil price exceeds the budgeted more than $ 10 ", - says Mills. She believes that the budget deficit this year could be around 3.5% of GDP.

Kuzmin of "Renaissance Capital" believes that Sberbank forecast too pessimistic. "Keep in mind that the Ministry of Finance calculations based on a conservative scenario of economic development. We believe that the price of oil is above $ 60 per barrel., And the dollar on average will cost 57 rubles. The budget deficit will total 2.2 trillion rubles. ", - He said. According to Kuzmin, the probability that the Reserve Fund will be spent for the entire 2017, is very small.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Currently drinking a nice large grog in anticipation of the Russian collapse.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Currently drinking a nice large grog in anticipation of the Russian collapse.

London-Putinites will cook the books to make Russia look stronk.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russia will deplete most of their reserves by the end of the year if they continue the current level of support for the Ruble.

They are talking about a specific reserves fund in their reserve pool. Right now total currency reserves supposedly around 350B dollars or 17.5 trillion rubles (in the Bank of Russia), in addition there is a separate wealth fund.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 23, 2015

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So falling foreign exchange rates were bad for Russia, and now the rebound is also bad for Russia? :psyduck:
Maybe it's just that Russia is bad for Russia?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TasogareNoKagi posted:

So falling foreign exchange rates were bad for Russia, and now the rebound is also bad for Russia? :psyduck:
Maybe it's just that Russia is bad for Russia?

Very simply: a falling Ruble is bad for consumers but better for the government, a rising Ruble is better for consumers but not so great for the government.

Remember, that oil is sold on the world market for a X number of rubles versus the dollar, and then the government pays public workers and expenses with those Rubles. The more Rubles they sell for, the more they have on hand. However, if the Ruble strengthens then the opposite happens. This is assuming the price of oil is constant.

In this case though the price of oil is likely going to go up while the Ruble stabilizes: the Ruble is at $50 right now and Brent is at $64.
Sberbank assumes it will be 2750 rubles per barrel for the rest of 2015, while right now it is 3200 Rubles which is a fairly significant difference.

There are obviously various scenarios you can work out: the price of oil and the Ruble fluctuates all the time, and the acceleration of change can be highly variable.

Edit: Oh and it is pretty likely the Bank of Russia is going to lower rates further which will likely depress the Ruble further, if anything they are worried the Ruble has appreciated too much (the above reason being one). One thing is they seem to also want a healthy discount on the Euro.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 23, 2015

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

MaxxBot posted:

This is the main question I've had for leftists for a while now, given that I don't actually know any in real life I haven't been able to ask it. They seem to be completely occupied with (often correct) arguments about how bad American imperialism and hegemony can be but they stop there, when really their job would have to be to explain why Russian/Chinese imperialism/hegemony would be preferable to having it come from America.

Leftists (of the non-crazy variety) tend to be opposed to imperialism in principle. It's just that many have a blind spot when it comes to empires other than the big dominant one.

On a more pragmatic level, I expect things from America. I don't expect anything from Russia because it's a morally bankrupt hellscape of corruption and poverty, and the same applies to China, so if it's Yank hegemony that preserves the peace, fine. I like Americans. Thing is, "benevolent hegemony" means being held to a much higher moral standard than the aforementioned autocratic shitholes, so the US should still be mercilessly called out when they act like domineering neocolonial assholes. (ie about half the time)

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

kalstrams posted:

Primary source seems to be somewhat lacking. Are we sure this isn't "вброс"?
At first, this was being reported that said that he started fire-fires (Ukraine Today, lol, and a few other outlets using ambiguous language), but then some more info has come out since that makes it sound like he just started a dinky little fire for a TV shot (while the big wildfires were still going) and it didn't necessarily spread.

Still, he's a goddamn moron, but not as bad as I thought at first.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

bearic posted:

At first, this was being reported that said that he started fire-fires (Ukraine Today, lol, and a few other outlets using ambiguous language), but then some more info has come out since that makes it sound like he just started a dinky little fire for a TV shot (while the big wildfires were still going) and it didn't necessarily spread.

Still, he's a goddamn moron, but not as bad as I thought at first.

Gotta give the Russians a pass here, this is something I wouldn't be surprised by if it was a local TV station in the USA. Fire Tracker 8000 *blurry red tinted image of a water tanker, a fire, a crying person, and a firetruck, with a target symbol and Fire Tracker 8000 overlaid*

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Guildencrantz posted:

Leftists (of the non-crazy variety) tend to be opposed to imperialism in principle. It's just that many have a blind spot when it comes to empires other than the big dominant one.

On a more pragmatic level, I expect things from America. I don't expect anything from Russia because it's a morally bankrupt hellscape of corruption and poverty, and the same applies to China, so if it's Yank hegemony that preserves the peace, fine. I like Americans. Thing is, "benevolent hegemony" means being held to a much higher moral standard than the aforementioned autocratic shitholes, so the US should still be mercilessly called out when they act like domineering neocolonial assholes. (ie about half the time)

Yeah, I just don't view a lack of imperialism or some sort of stable multi-polar world as Ardennes described as being particularly likely outcomes. It seems to me that a rampdown of American hegemony, which most leftists seem to really want, would almost certainly result in a ramp up of hegemony from even less "benevolent" sources. That's not to say I support a lot of the excesses that the US is currently involved in, I just don't think the dramatic scaledown that leftists call for would result in the net reduction of imperialism that they think it would.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 24, 2015

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Another convoy from Russia has crossed into Ukraine and returned:

http://www.osce.org/om/153171

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bitcoin bastard posted:

Gotta give the Russians a pass here, this is something I wouldn't be surprised by if it was a local TV station in the USA. Fire Tracker 8000 *blurry red tinted image of a water tanker, a fire, a crying person, and a firetruck, with a target symbol and Fire Tracker 8000 overlaid*

It's the main national channel, though. :)
Not that I wold be surprised by national NBC/ABC/CBS pulling a dumb stunt like that, either.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

OddObserver posted:

It's the main national channel, though. :)
Not that I wold be surprised by national NBC/ABC/CBS pulling a dumb stunt like that, either.

Whoops on the local/national thing, and yeah it's not like anyone lied about their helicopter related antics lately on the national stage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
So (Afghani-Ukrainian) Journalist-turned-MP Musfata Nayem has gotten his hands on what's supposed to be internal memos of Akhmetov's DTEK conglomerate:
http://blogs.pravda.com.ua/authors/nayem/55397eabd8918/
(in Russian, still reading). It covers their strategy to pressure the government to fire the energy minister, since they feel their monopoly in certain markets may be threatened.
Stuff like inserting stories to media, including international (DW), staging "protests" --- there were a couple in the capital the last couple of days, etc. Something between tinfoil
territory and PR, it seems. On past days, they mention meetings with Danish and Swedish ambassadors --- if true, that could be somewhat questionable, no?
(It also discusses how they want to continue operating across conflict line --- which may be enough to throw a whole bunch of people in jail...)

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
The opposite end of the spectrum from the Texan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSQgQeVUEc

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

MH17 news, of sorts

quote:

Dutch expert fired after showing MH17 victim photos in public lecture

A Dutch expert helping to identify victims from last year’s MH17 airliner crash in Ukraine has been fired after showing photographs of the dead at a public lecture, the government said Thursday.

“The collaboration with George Maat has been terminated,” the justice minister, Ard van der Steur, told lawmakers in parliament.

The minister had earlier described the lecture given by Maat, an anthropologist at Leiden University, in the southern city of Maastricht as “completely inappropriate and in bad taste”.

Journalists from private television channel RTL Nieuws attended and first reported on the lecture, which was organised by a medical students association, during which Maat showed photos of victims’ body parts and explained elements of the identification process.

Thomas Aling, a spokesman for the Dutch national forensics investigation team LTFO, said earlier on Thursday that Maat had been suspended from his work while further action against him was being considered.

“Apparently he showed photos that cannot be shown at a public meeting,” Aling said.

Maat is also accused of making comments outside his realm of expertise, notably about the causes of the crash, which were “incorrect”, Aling said.

All 298 passengers and crew onboard the Malaysia Airlines jetliner – most of them Dutch, Malaysian and Australian – died when it was shot down at high altitude over rebel-held eastern Ukraine in July last year.

The lecture was given in early April to an audience of around 150 people and showing the photos would have been allowed for educational purposes if the general public were not allowed in.

A Facebook page advertising the lecture clearly said that it was open to the public.

The deputy head of the MH17 Air Disaster Association, Evert van Zijtveld, said that showing the photos was “shameful and very shocking for victims’ relatives, this adds to the grief”.

Maat said he thought the lecture was restricted to medical students.

“It appears that other people were there, I hadn’t realised,” he said in a statement released by the police. “I’m very sorry to have hurt or distressed victims’ loved ones.”

Kiev and the West claim that the plane was shot down by the separatists using a BUK surface-to-air missile supplied by Russia. Moscow denies the charges, pointing the finger at Kiev.

The Netherlands has been charged with leading the investigation into the cause of the incident and identifying the victims of the flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

sparatuvs posted:

The opposite end of the spectrum from the Texan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTSQgQeVUEc

What are the laws concerning Americans killing each other while fighting abroad?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah, I just don't view a lack of imperialism or some sort of stable multi-polar world as Ardennes described as being particularly likely outcomes. It seems to me that a rampdown of American hegemony, which most leftists seem to really want, would almost certainly result in a ramp up of hegemony from even less "benevolent" sources. That's not to say I support a lot of the excesses that the US is currently involved in, I just don't think the dramatic scaledown that leftists call for would result in the net reduction of imperialism that they think it would.

It very well may not, but in the case of the US, may simply not have the same superiority of economic resources over its competition it once had and so there is a question about how you handle that. It could be relatively peaceful economic competition or what it is occurring now, which seem a growing number of proxy wars. The influence of the US obviously isn't going to disappear, and it will probably be the strongest country in the world for most of this century but the superiority of that strength is going to have greater limits.

As for the benevolence of imperialism, that is an endless debate that is probably going to cover decades of foreign policy and how much you economic philosophy you ascribe or not to it. Personally, I think many issues of American foreign are tied to much of the economic ideas we either promote or try to lead through with example with. That said, China and Russia ascribe to similar ideas if in sometimes even more stark form but ultimately there is the argument to be made there needs to be some type of ideological competition out there even if it doesn't exist at the moment.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Apr 24, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dolash posted:

What are the laws concerning Americans killing each other while fighting abroad?

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

Donetsk, don't tell.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W6aDu_CmGM
Author of video claims that opposition backs miners' protest with hard currency.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 24, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Brown Moses posted:

MH17 news, of sorts

quote:

The lecture was given in early April to an audience of around 150 people and showing the photos would have been allowed for educational purposes if the general public were not allowed in.

:psyduck: this is stupid.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seems like there is something up with advocates from Kyiv. Camouflaged men, allegedly, deny them entrance to the 3rd Gathering of Ukraine's Advocates for a few hours already. What is special about this gathering are elections of Ukraine's High Council of Justice. ZN suggests that there might be inside conflict between Kyiv's advocate council and National association of advocates.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

kalstrams posted:

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W6aDu_CmGM
Author of video claims that opposition backs miners' protest with hard currency.

I don't think Hrivnya counts as "hard" currency.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

I don't think Hrivnya counts as "hard" currency.
I thought about it, but I failed to come up with a pun even I would find funny.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

As for the benevolence of imperialism, that is an endless debate that is probably going to cover decades of foreign policy and how much you economic philosophy you ascribe or not to it. Personally, I think many issues of American foreign are tied to much of the economic ideas we either promote or try to lead through with example with. That said, China and Russia ascribe to similar ideas if in sometimes even more stark form but ultimately there is the argument to be made there needs to be some type of ideological competition out there even if it doesn't exist at the moment.

Yeah, the only problem I have with America as global hegemon is that America currently practices a predatory and frankly dangerous form of capitalism if TPP, TTIP, ACTA and so on are any indication. American hegemony will give rise to transnational corporations with as much or more power than individual states which is unacceptable in my opinion. Still the alternative is a bi or multi polar world order where Russia and/or China are the other pole and that's even more problematic. If America could stop selling itself wholesale to corporate interests (they can't) then it would be a no brainer.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, the only problem I have with America as global hegemon is that America currently practices a predatory and frankly dangerous form of capitalism if TPP, TTIP, ACTA and so on are any indication. American hegemony will give rise to transnational corporations with as much or more power than individual states which is unacceptable in my opinion. Still the alternative is a bi or multi polar world order where Russia and/or China are the other pole and that's even more problematic. If America could stop selling itself wholesale to corporate interests (they can't) then it would be a no brainer.

Well there is also the issue that the particular brand of economic mindset that is popular in all 3 "powers" is very short term style of capitalism, China itself may already be on the verge of a financial crisis and in Putin's Russia it is obvious. Ultimately, the preferable result for many is the type of "Goldilocks" zone that happened in Sweden for example, but the question is how you get there.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 24, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You talking about getting a visa or do you need directions?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Ardennes posted:

Well there is also the issue that the particular brand of economic mindset that is popular in all 3 "powers" is very short term style of capitalism, China itself may already be on the verge of a financial crisis and in Putin's it is obvious. Ultimately, the preferable result for many is the type of "Goldilocks" zone that happened in Sweden for example, but the question is how you get there.

Yeah I agree, a well regulated market with a generous social safety net is the ideal, but as you said, America's way past that point now. It will be hard to roll back the changes that have occurred over the past 15-20 years in terms of deregulation, globalization and destruction of trade unions especially as both American parties are essentially the same on those issues and a third party challenge is almost impossible due to the way the American system is set up. And as goes America, so go her allies and dependents. And, as you said, its not even like the Chinese or Russians are offering anything different. Its the same poo poo with the added bonus of strong authoritarianism. Who knows though, maybe Google or Apple or Goldman Sachs will be benevolent masters. :v:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This discussion is timely to me since I was just thinking of how the company towns in East Ukraine fit into the larger Left discourse, but failing to come up with anything particularly insightful.... but perhaps the very issue is worth pursuing.

Anyway, lots of smaller (and even non-small: Mariupol) towns are heavily economically dependent on businesses owned by a single oligarch, giving them basically god-like standing in the community; people may not dare vote against the oligarch's wishes. Oh, and despite the industrial nature there isn't really a credible union movement to try to balance their power.

So... people already are living under corporatist masters, and often those that got in their position.by out right theft and murder.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Final accusations out for Savchenko. Source.

quote:

Asisstance in murder of two or more persons, assistance in murder attempt of two or more persons by a group of people, motivated by political hate, via generally dangerous means, and trespassing of borders of Russian Federation.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah I agree, a well regulated market with a generous social safety net is the ideal, but as you said, America's way past that point now. It will be hard to roll back the changes that have occurred over the past 15-20 years in terms of deregulation, globalization and destruction of trade unions especially as both American parties are essentially the same on those issues and a third party challenge is almost impossible due to the way the American system is set up. And as goes America, so go her allies and dependents. And, as you said, its not even like the Chinese or Russians are offering anything different. Its the same poo poo with the added bonus of strong authoritarianism. Who knows though, maybe Google or Apple or Goldman Sachs will be benevolent masters. :v:

I guess you could always hope that some of the smarter people in DC start picking up on those issues, and push for reform if only to shore up American influence. In a sense, Obama's foreign policy recently is pushing in a more dovish direction (Cuba, Iran). However, the ultimate issue is at least in terms of economic ideology, the political culture in DC and obviously the financial culture in New York and London is still very rigid and that isn't likely to change.The result of this is that Russia and China can appeal to nationalism and historical nostalgia very easily because such deep cynicism has already set in there. I mean if you talk to a Chinese worker about the necessity of breaking up the state owned enterprise he works at, he probably isn't going to be very receptive for a reason.

OddObserver posted:

This discussion is timely to me since I was just thinking of how the company towns in East Ukraine fit into the larger Left discourse, but failing to come up with anything particularly insightful.... but perhaps the very issue is worth pursuing.

Anyway, lots of smaller (and even non-small: Mariupol) towns are heavily economically dependent on businesses owned by a single oligarch, giving them basically god-like standing in the community; people may not dare vote against the oligarch's wishes. Oh, and despite the industrial nature there isn't really a credible union movement to try to balance their power.

So... people already are living under corporatist masters, and often those that got in their position.by out right theft and murder.

I think it is a dual edged sword from the viewpoint of the people in those towns. The local oligarch is likely abusive, corrupt and will probably respond to genuine union movements with thugs, and if anything he is closely analogous to a 19th century robber baron. However, in a globalized world, on the other hand he offers predictability to workers and their families since he is unlikely to simply walk away from local factories and mines sas he has a personal investment in the place.

It is obviously a sad trap though, and in Eastern Ukraine (as in other parts of many former Soviet states) this sort of dire compromise happens because people feel they have no choice and many times they honestly don't.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Steinmeier starts up appeaso-mobile again:
http://www.rferl.org/content/ukraine-eu-trade-deal-steinmeier-russian-concerns/26976163.html

quote:

BRUSSELS -- A leaked letter from German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier urges the European Union to quickly ease "Russian concerns" regarding the implementation of a free-trade agreement with Ukraine.

In the letter addressed to European Commission President Jean-Paul Juncker, which was made available to RFE/RL, Steinmeier called for a resumption of three-way talks between the EU, Ukraine, and Russia in order to identify "practical solutions."

• Locked thread