Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Paul MaudDib posted:

The speculation is that it won't affect existing NVIDIA pricing though - it's meant to slot between the 980 and the Titan X both in terms of performance and retail cost.

I have to wonder how big a market that actually is. The 980 is already near the top of what's sensible for the majority of discrete GPU-buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I thought a 970 paired up with an i5 2500K @4.2Ghz would be able to run GTAV more or less maxed out at 1080p.
I was wrong. :smith: Inconsistent framerate, drops down to the 30s at times. So weird.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

betterinsodapop posted:

I thought a 970 paired up with an i5 2500K @4.2Ghz would be able to run GTAV more or less maxed out at 1080p.
I was wrong. :smith: Inconsistent framerate, drops down to the 30s at times. So weird.

The first patch out absolutely tanked framerate and it's been like that since. The game at release ran smooth as hell.

Knowing Rockstar they probably implemented anti-cheat or something with the first patch.

Here's the patch notes from the first patch:

quote:

GTAV PC Patch 1.01 (online 1.24)
Fixed an issue where the GTAV Launcher would use an abnormally high percentage of CPU and sometimes crash
Fixed an issue where frame rate would drop when left-clicking the mouse while driving

Added a grid to the Golf mini-game to show the topology of the green while putting
Fixed an issue where a character’s eyebrows or other facial features could change erroneously when transferred to PC
Fixed an issue where a some players were asked to transfer their GTA Online character while a transfer was already in progress
YouTube uploads via the Rockstar Editor will now correctly resume if Internet connection is lost during the upload and later restored
Fixed a rare issue where the game could crash while using the Rockstar Editor
Projects containing deleted clips will now load properly in the Rockstar Editor and warn the player of the missing clips
Fixed an issue where birds were not recorded correctly in Rockstar Editor clips
Corrected an issue where certain characters in Windows usernames would cause the Launcher to fail to load or other undesired game behavior. For details, see this page.
Fixed an issue where players with one garage would not be able to replace an existing vehicle if the garage was full and the new vehicle was purchased from an in-game website
Additional fixes to prepare for iFruit support
Crew Tire Smoke can no longer be purchased if you are not in a Crew

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 23, 2015

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Seriously inconsistent. I also have a 2500k (@4.6 ghz) but only a 270x 4GB so I figured I'd need to turn the settings WAAAY down to stand a chance at playing 2560x1600. Turns out the game itself runs well on some high settings thanks to all my VRAM but the opening cutscene at the therapist's office runs like poo poo no matter what settings I use so that part in and of itself is useless in gauging gameplay performance for me.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

betterinsodapop posted:

I've got a non overclocked 3570k and a 770 and can run it at 40-60 fps with everything on very high and the sliders maxed so that seems odd. Maybe I just notice the frame dips less. One thing that really helped my frames actually was running it on an ssd.

Given how well gta runs on my 770 actually I'm thinking I might not bother upgrading to a 970 for the Witcher 3.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Hello thread.

Two weeks ago I posted here about an issue with my Titan X. Where overclocked it performed nicely until the next day when the card started to do half-second "distorted screen blips" whenever it booted 3DMark (and eventually any 3D program) and was consistently dropping in performance all throughout the day. Everybody came to the conclusion that the card was bad, and so I made a RMA and waited two weeks to get a new card. In the process, I was using my 780 as a replacement and it worked fine as there was no graphical defects or drops in performance.

Now that I got my new card, a day after putting it in and using stock settings it's showing the same symptoms as the other card. I want to scream. :unsmith:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Mutation posted:

Hello thread.

Two weeks ago I posted here about an issue with my Titan X. Where overclocked it performed nicely until the next day when the card started to do half-second "distorted screen blips" whenever it booted 3DMark (and eventually any 3D program) and was consistently dropping in performance all throughout the day. Everybody came to the conclusion that the card was bad, and so I made a RMA and waited two weeks to get a new card. In the process, I was using my 780 as a replacement and it worked fine as there was no graphical defects or drops in performance.

Now that I got my new card, a day after putting it in and using stock settings it's showing the same symptoms as the other card. I want to scream. :unsmith:

Are you still overclocking it ? Mine is overclocked with a custom bios and has 0 issues. I can't imagine you got 2 cards in a row that are bad. Is your power supply up to the task?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It's not overclocked, and the PSU is a 750W XFX Gold Standard whatever: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207029 It's reputably known as the second best PSU on the market.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Did you check the serial before you sent the card. Its not uncommon for cards deemed "fine" and sent back during the RMA process

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The card came back in a whole new package, but let me check the serial number.

edit: the serial numbers are different.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 23, 2015

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Hi guys, I'm considering upgrading my graphics card. I want to go from an MSI Twin Frozr R6950 to a Gigabyte GTX 970 (which will run me like $300 on Newegg). My current setup is pretty decent with the games I usually play (tf2, dota 2, league, etc.) but I've basically given up on running more recent games at high settings at high framerates.

I just want to check before I get any buyers remorse: is the upgrade that I'm going to get by shelling out $300 on a video card rather than the $200 I did 2 years ago going to show me really significant improvements? Or is the difference going to be marginal enough that I should skip on upgrading video cards for another year or two?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

cerious posted:

Hi guys, I'm considering upgrading my graphics card. I want to go from an MSI Twin Frozr R6950 to a Gigabyte GTX 970 (which will run me like $300 on Newegg). My current setup is pretty decent with the games I usually play (tf2, dota 2, league, etc.) but I've basically given up on running more recent games at high settings at high framerates.

I just want to check before I get any buyers remorse: is the upgrade that I'm going to get by shelling out $300 on a video card rather than the $200 I did 2 years ago going to show me really significant improvements? Or is the difference going to be marginal enough that I should skip on upgrading video cards for another year or two?

Video cards are not getting cheaper. As nodes keep getting smaller and smaller, prices just keep going up and up. The 970 is pretty much the best price/performance card you can buy right now and should serve you for a few years. It'll be a huge upgrade from a 6950.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

That is an insanely large jump in graphics grunt. Worth every penny.

Also: get another MSI Twin Frozr. Also worth every penny.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cerious posted:

I upgraded from a 6970 to a 970 and it was more than worth the upgrade, everything doubled or tripled in performance and I could not be happier with my purchase, since you are upgrading from an even lower end card you should see an even larger performance increase than I did.

Get a 970, be happy.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I upgraded from a 6970 to a 970 and it was more than worth the upgrade, everything doubled or tripled in performance and I could not be happier with my purchase, since you are upgrading from an even lower end card you should see an even larger performance increase than I did.

Get a 970, be happy.

Yeah so after you said that I checked the dates, and I didn't realize that I was making essentially a 3-year upgrade, not a 2-year upgrade like I thought I was. Consider me convinced, which is now even better considering I'm going to upgrade my CPU by an even larger margin (from an i5 670 to an i5 4690k, which is something like 4.5 year difference between release dates).

cerious fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 23, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

veedubfreak posted:

Video cards are not getting cheaper. As nodes keep getting smaller and smaller, prices just keep going up and up. The 970 is pretty much the best price/performance card you can buy right now and should serve you for a few years. It'll be a huge upgrade from a 6950.

Just think, a 750 Ti beats the pants off a 6850. Just imagine what a 970 will do.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

cerious posted:

Yeah so after you said that I checked the dates, and I didn't realize that I was making essentially a 3-year upgrade, not a 2-year upgrade like I thought I was. Consider me convinced, which is now even better considering I'm going to upgrade my CPU by an even larger margin (from an i5 670 to an i5 4970k, which is something like 4.5 year difference between release dates).

Wow, yeah that is going to be a massive upgrade to both GPU & CPU, you'll be really happy with both of those upgrades I think. :)

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah that'll be nice

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Thoughts on the Gigabyte GV-N75TOC-2GI? I'd like something with dual HDMI outputs and the selection seems to be pretty slim.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Are you sure you need dual HDMI? You can just use a passive DVI to HDMI converter if you're only concerned with video, not audio or the more exotic features of HDMI.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xcore posted:

Titan X is obviously pretty new but when is the "next gen" expected from each team?

GM20x is already their 'next-gen.' Pascal isn't due until 2016. They know there's no rush to get it out for Q1 or Q2 '16, so my guess is we'll see the GTX 1070/1080 (a guess) around the same time in 2016 that we saw the 970/980 in 2014.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I think nvidia's gonna do new numbers or skip to 1100s, because having a nvidia 1080 when 1440 and 4k is all the rage will make their sales dept flip their poo poo.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Truga posted:

I think nvidia's gonna do new numbers or skip to 1100s, because having a nvidia 1080 when 1440 and 4k is all the rage will make their sales dept flip their poo poo.

Yeah. Wikipedia has it listed as the 1000 and 1100 series, so I went with it. They'd be an idiot not to go to a simple "4K" nomenclature:

nVidia GeForce GTX 4K 8, then they could ditch the "Ti" bullshit and make the mid-stream refresh the GTX 4K 8.5 (or Ti 8 :rolleyes: ). Use 2KM and 3KM for laptop/mobile parts that don't have to power a 4K screen, and 4KM for those that can or do.

Also, as for my saying to 'expect' Pascal around September '16, I have absolutely no loving evidence to support that. I'd just assume since we're expecting the 980Ti around that time this year that they'll try to hit it for Pascal the following year. I do somewhat doubt we'll get another '970' out of the Pascal launch at first, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 24, 2015

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I'm in the process of planning out my new PC as my 5 year old machine, with a graphics revamp along the way, is showing its age now.

I'm planning on getting a 1440 monitor and was looking to pair that with a 970. Obviously nothing is future proof, but is there any reason to think a 970, and adding a second for SLI in the future won't handle 1440 resolution at a decent quality for 'a while'?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GPU nomenclature is the biggest pile of bull.
Let's leave it at that.

Still though Nvidia's current nameing scheme is probably the most sane GPU names have ever been.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Has there been a more confusing and meaningless naming scheme than AMDs current one?

They're selling VLIW5, GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 cards under the 200-series brand, with lower numbered cards often having newer generation architectures with more features than higher ones :eng99:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

Has there been a more confusing and meaningless naming scheme than AMDs current one?

They're selling VLIW5

Woah, you're right. OK, so nobody's going to buy those cards because they're ultra-low end in the stack, and I didn't even know they existed, but yes, that's an absolute clusterfuck.

The 300 series needs to be GCN 1.1 and 1.2 parts only, in my opinion. It's annoying GCN 1.0 isn't getting VESA Adaptive Sync.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

GPU nomenclature is the biggest pile of bull.
Let's leave it at that.

Still though Nvidia's current nameing scheme is probably the most sane GPU names have ever been.

Although not the worst, it is a bit bizarre that 7xx and 9xx straddle each other, with the 750 being a Maxwell card, but the 760 and 780 not being Maxwell, but the 960, 970 and 980 being Maxwell.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 24, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

They're selling VLIW5, GCN 1.0, GCN 1.1 and GCN 1.2 cards under the 200-series brand, with lower numbered cards often having newer generation architectures with more features than higher ones :eng99:

Don't forget that RX XX5 is sometimes better than RX XX0x (265 is faster than 260x), and sometimes worse (285 is slower than 280x). And the fact that the card that is two 290x's has an additional 5 in there just to confuse people.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Nvidia's current lineup isn't totally innocent - there's the Maxwell-based 750ti.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Both "suck". One is far worse than the other though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Can you even buy the Terascale R5 series cards at retail?

Also, my prediction for Nvidia's next GPU nomenclature: GTX X.60, X.70, X.80.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kazinsal posted:

Can you even buy the Terascale R5 series cards at retail?

Also, my prediction for Nvidia's next GPU nomenclature: GTX X.60, X.70, X.80.

Yes, in fact, they are probably one of the easiest cards to find retail because Best Buy carries them in practically every store. Which is pretty lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Although not the worst, it is a bit bizarre that 7xx and 9xx straddle each other, with the 750 being a Maxwell card, but the 760 and 780 not being Maxwell, but the 960, 970 and 980 being Maxwell.

There's some logic there: the 750ti is first generation Maxwell, which to the end-user is closer to the 700 series in features since it lacks MFAA, HEVC and HDMI 2.0.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The first patch out absolutely tanked framerate and it's been like that since. The game at release ran smooth as hell.

Knowing Rockstar they probably implemented anti-cheat or something with the first patch.

Here's the patch notes from the first patch:

I got so screwed by this. It halved my framerate. I went from reliably 100-120fps to 50-60fps. I have no idea what they messed up, but they need to fix it.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
The patch is actually a PSA by Rockstar trying to convince you to stop giving them money for making the same game since San Andreas but with more checkboxes filled.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

cisco privilege posted:

The patch is actually a PSA by Rockstar trying to convince you to stop giving them money for making the same game since San Andreas but with more checkboxes filled.

Cool, since GTA3 proper is the last game I actually bought. I still have San Andreas on my shelf that I picked up when Circuit City closed for like 5 bucks.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

cisco privilege posted:

Its funny because it is a good game, better then San Andreas even!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dunno if this has been posted yet but....

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/supply-of-amd-radeon-r9-390-series-may-be-constrained-report/

Apparently, 390 supply might be low for a while even after release, because of slow HBM production.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Truga posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet but....

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/supply-of-amd-radeon-r9-390-series-may-be-constrained-report/

Apparently, 390 supply might be low for a while even after release, because of slow HBM production.

The story of AMD. Slow to market, good product, no supply. They just can't manage to win. Gonna be a shame if they do manage to go under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Maybe AMD will get lucky and someone will find a crytocurrency the 390 works great for