Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Valeyard posted:

when i ride the poor bus my 4g reception is at full strength in the particuarly lovely rundown parts of the city

and there is this one place that without fail completely kills ANY phone signal, surounding a highschool, its weird

some schools here used to jam cell signals before it was strictly illegal, maybe thats why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeftweeter posted:

some schools here used to jam cell signals before it was strictly illegal, maybe thats why

maybe. it definetelty seems too coincidental, but it must affect the houses that are on the other side facing the school. and there are some shops and little cafes and stuff too. so I would imagine someone would have had to kick up a fuss at some point over the years but who knows

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

PleasureKevin posted:

so google is disrupting cellular by becoming a reseller and marking up the prices?

who could live with only 5gb of data on their phone/mobile hotspot? ????

thatnt

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
its probbably just overloaded, a high school would have several hundred simultaneous data users, cause those kids all text and look at videos in class and the wifi is censored

source my gf is in placement at a high school and they never stop using their phones

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Smythe posted:

gmail search is insanely ownage in my xp

:agreed: which is what makes youtube's search that much more frustrating. it's like- come on guys. i know you're better than this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
so if i live in a major metro area and my employer reimburses my cell bill which carrier should i go with? i've been on verizon just because i've always been and haven't bothered to check the others but it looks like t-mob isn't poo poo-tier anymore?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Necc0 posted:

so if i live in a major metro area and my employer reimburses my cell bill which carrier should i go with? i've been on verizon just because i've always been and haven't bothered to check the others but it looks like t-mob isn't poo poo-tier anymore?

if your employer pays for it stick with verizon because they've got the best coverage in the us

and if a natural disaster hits the network that will stay up the longest is probably verizon because they care more about keeping poo poo running than anyone else (ask any louisiana emergency/government employees which network stayed up after katrina hit)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Necc0 posted:

verizon or at&t. they're pretty equal at this point. no point in switching if you're happy with your service. only big issue with verizon can be their phone selection, but they have iphones and nexuses 6 and motos x and those are p much your best options regardless.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the conventional wisdom was Verizon has wider coverage, AT&T has a faster network. the problem is if you're not getting an LTE signal you're still likely to get pretty decent speed out of AT&T HSPA+, while Verizon drops you into their super-lovely CDMA 3G network and you might as well kill yourself. also I don't know if vz figured out how to do voice and data at the same time yet (lol).

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

the conventional wisdom was Verizon has wider coverage, AT&T has a faster network. the problem is if you're not getting an LTE signal you're still likely to get pretty decent speed out of AT&T HSPA+, while Verizon drops you into their super-lovely CDMA 3G network and you might as well kill yourself. also I don't know if vz figured out how to do voice and data at the same time yet (lol).

if you have a VoLTE capable phone now you can do voice/data simultaneously now on verizon

the reason you couldn't before was voice calls were going over CDMA and the phone cant simultaneously be on both CDMA and LTE (except a few godawful monster phones literally packed in two chipsets to do this which is an insane battery drain)

CDMA is actually REALLY good at voice, but yeah 3G data is lol because there's no capacity by 2015 standards

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

i'm pretty sure Verizon has their network such that LTE covers their entire CDMA footprint to the point that they're going to be selling LTE-only phone starting next year

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also the reason why the conventional "wisdom" is that at&t's lte network is faster than verizon's is because verizon had almost a year head start on at&t in launching lte, so their network matured and got more lte subscribers before anyone else in the us

verizon's lte network in many major metros was actually getting slowed down from too many lte subscribers, but they're augmenting their 700 MHz spectrum with AWS spectrum in a lot of cities to fix capacity issues (what they advertise as "X-LTE" on their stupid loving commericals)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i also love how at&t has completely ripped off "can you hear me now/it's the network" verizon commercials from 5 years ago with those two idiot technicians talking about "we put the radios on the TOP of the towers for better signal strength"

it is somewhat interesting to note, because verizon's older 700 mhz poo poo actually does have all the radio baseband equipment at the bottom of the tower and pumps up via coax to the antennas, which does result in power loss, whereas at&t is doing more remote radio heads...but how the gently caress is anyone watching one of those commercials going to even know/understand that

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mishaq posted:

i also love how at&t has completely ripped off "can you hear me now/it's the network" verizon commercials from 5 years ago with those two idiot technicians talking about "we put the radios on the TOP of the towers for better signal strength"

it is somewhat interesting to note, because verizon's older 700 mhz poo poo actually does have all the radio baseband equipment at the bottom of the tower and pumps up via coax to the antennas, which does result in power loss, whereas at&t is doing more remote radio heads...but how the gently caress is anyone watching one of those commercials going to even know/understand that

that's why all they say is that they put the radios on the top of the towers

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

PleasureKevin posted:

iCloud dumb arse

icloud is terrible. like, really bad.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fyi carriers have a huge incentive to roll out lte and get people using it asap because it's way cheaper in terms of operating costs and spectrum utilization, like 1/4th-1/10th as much

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mishaq posted:

i also love how
same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Progressive JPEG posted:

fyi carriers have a huge incentive to roll out lte and get people using it asap because it's way cheaper in terms of operating costs and spectrum utilization, like 1/4th-1/10th as much

it was funny at first when a lot of MVNOs were restricted from being able to use LTE, but that went away very quickly for these exact reasons (except verizon, a lot of MVNOs on verizon are restricted to 3G only but lol if you're using an MVNO on verizon)

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

mishaq posted:

No, but you see they optimized it.

It's now optimized.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Verizons phone network is trash and idk how much of their cell network depends on it.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No, but you see they optimized it.

It's now optimized.

I LIKE HOW the actor playing the Indian guy loses his accent sometimes.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Sprint + T-Mobile is better than either individually. There were even rumors of the two merging recently.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mishaq posted:

is that why att has a way higher number of employees Independent contractors with no link to att at all killed by from falling from towers?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DuckConference posted:

is that why att has a way higher number of employees Independent contractors with no link to att at all killed by from falling from towers?

no thats because at&t is a lovely company headquartered in texas

edit: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/cell-tower-deaths/ :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

DuckConference posted:

most of those are employees of subcontractors, not the typical "independent contractor" and it is the responsibility of the subcontractor to adhere to any relevant safety standards and provide safety equipment

this assumes that the subcontractor is not the lowest bidder because they're a fly by night company that doesn't give a gently caress about safety.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the other thing is that its a ton easier to do that job if you're not following proper safety

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and att can't be sued because they're several layers removed from providing proper climbing equipment. "hey, thats sad, but all we did was drive the costs down through bidding wars while increasing the complexity of jobs and demand it be done faster than ever. we had no idea that the people we hired wouldn't do a good job!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shaggar posted:

Verizons phone network is trash and idk how much of their cell network depends on it.

in some areas they are trying to replace the former with the latter.

it isn't going well.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

in some areas they are trying to replace the former with the latter.

it isn't going well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/05/opinion/when-the-landline-is-a-lifeline.html

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

another google earnings results and CPC is down 7% year over year. 14 straight quarters now :xd:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I read that and thought "cremnob was right". revenue up 14%, profits up 4%. they're really squeezing that stone.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
extremely pleased with my switch from gmail to fastmail. now to find a good RSS feed service other than feedly (it uses google login) and basically delete my google account forever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

feedly allows logins from a bunch of different services it's the best rss reader, I even pay for pro some people like the old reader

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Granbar posted:

extremely pleased with my switch from gmail to fastmail. now to find a good RSS feed service other than feedly (it uses google login) and basically delete my google account forever.

i like inoreader

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

The Management posted:

I read that and thought "cremnob was right"

:rip:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
cpc will go down every year because display ads are trash

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

feedly allows logins from a bunch of different services it's the best rss reader, I even pay for pro some people like the old reader

digg reader literally

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
jfc whatever chrome update I just got ruined the bookmark system, it was fine before

now its unusable

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Valeyard posted:

jfc whatever chrome update I just got ruined the bookmark system, it was fine before

now its unusable

ive always assumed that bookmarks in chome were intentionally terrible so that people would use search more instead

why else would they be hidden under 5 menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

chrome is a bad browser made by an advertising company

• Locked thread