Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Cardale really, REALLY should've gone pro last year. Not even for LOLBROWNS purposes, but because I don't think his draft stock would ever be higher. The way the predraft process has gone, he'd be a top-3 pick easy.

Cardale is a good quarterback but he has started literally 3 games in his college career. There is no NFL team out there that's going to take a player based on 3 games.

E: 3 drat good games, I'll grant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Matt Cassel had like 200 career passing yards at USC before getting drafted. I don't think Cardale would be a super high pick if he went, but you're crazy if you don't think there are some NFL teams out there that are absolutely desperate to find that needle in a haystack franchise QB.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Cardale's psychotic cartoon personality is also a clear indication he's destined for success in a field populated with people like Tom Brady who will avoid meeting the president because of a deflated balls joke

You'd be crazy not to draft him if he's available in the second, really

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
In an attempt to have something to talk about, some guys on Sirius this morning were polling listeners as to what kind of rules changes they'd like to see made in the near future.

One guy called in suggesting that when a team is backed up inside their own 1yd line and commit something like a false start, instead of half the distance to the goal, the penalty should be applied to where they need to reach to get a 1st down. I.e. if you botch a kickoff/punt return and are down inside the one, then someone has a false start, instead of it then being 1st and 10.0001, it should be 1st and 15 from the same spot.

I'm not entirely opposed to that idea.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Scarf posted:

One guy called in suggesting that when a team is backed up inside their own 1yd line and commit something like a false start, instead of half the distance to the goal, the penalty should be applied to where they need to reach to get a 1st down. I.e. if you botch a kickoff/punt return and are down inside the one, then someone has a false start, instead of it then being 1st and 10.0001, it should be 1st and 15 from the same spot.

How would it work on the opposite end of the field? (when the team is within a few yards of scoring, and the opposing team commits a penalty)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

cletus42o posted:

How would it work on the opposite end of the field? (when the team is within a few yards of scoring, and the opposing team commits a penalty)

You get to punch the mascot in the face.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Scarf posted:

In an attempt to have something to talk about, some guys on Sirius this morning were polling listeners as to what kind of rules changes they'd like to see made in the near future.

This is a horrible enforcement plan because it does not consistently fit within the enforcement rules for all penalties. The more exceptions you add the weirder the game gets. You'd need to redo the entire structure to work that way to make it accomodating (the end result is basically the same except near the goal line where it never was). This is also more difficult on your chain's crew & side officials, basically I see that change being a logistical nightmare and NOOOOO.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I think they should just be backed up inside the end zone and then you increase the number of safeties which is always a good thing

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Can any Dubai BBQ goons tell me if this P&B smokehouse is legit

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is why we need a short spring season of 3 games to test crazy rules under live conditions with skilled players.

For instance what if every drive started at your own 20 and you had 12 downs to get to the end zone!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Within ever set of downs, you must RUN THE DANG BALL at least once.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
12 players on defense

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Thermos H Christ posted:

Can any Dubai BBQ goons tell me if this P&B smokehouse is legit

This makes me wonder how tailgating in TAMU-Qatar is.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thermos H Christ posted:

12 players on defense

The entirety of the A&M fanbase would be on defense then?

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Scarf posted:

The entirety of the A&M fanbase would be on defense then?

Or you call the position the 12th man and thus permanently redefine the term. I doubt TAMU would be pleased about that.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

Or you call the position the 12th man and thus permanently redefine the term. I doubt TAMU would be pleased about that.

They would totally sue the NCAA

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Neil Armbong posted:

They would totally sue the NCAA

At the hearing their attorney just holds his nuts and yells at the panel.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LeeMajors posted:

TFF: Hyperbole Unwelcome.

God drat you

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

If Ohio was awesome, you assholes would stop infecting the rest of the country.

Keep your rings--I never have to tell anyone 'I'm from Ohio.'

you bring this up in like literally 2/3 of your posts

e: Jones would have gotten drafted, but it wouldn't have been before like the 5th round or so. He's not a very accurate passer and no one wants to invest a lot in a dude with that tiny a sample size of games (especially when he wasn't even good in one of them). Coming back and trying to win the job probably didn't hurt him that much. He has the advantage of being the only healthy one right now and even if Barrett takes the job back someone still might take a late round flier on Jones, which was probably the best he was going to do anyway. Maybe he should have struck while the iron was hot but I don't think he cost himself a ton of money or anything.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 24, 2015

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Scarf posted:

At the hearing their attorney just holds his nuts and yells at the panel.

while the other attorneys at the table lock arms and sway back and forth, sawing 'em off.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Neil Armbong posted:

while the other attorneys at the table lock arms and sway back and forth, sawing 'em off.

"Wow that's so cool and intimidating" -- no one in the court room

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oklahoma State commits violations

Punishment's nothing major, mostly just restrictions on coaches ability to scout recruits and a small fine. Also apparently $500/game is the arbitrary amount that you'll get fined if you let a player that should be held out play a game.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Thermos H Christ posted:

12 players on defense
Dooley was way ahead of his time.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

VDay posted:

Oklahoma State commits violations

Punishment's nothing major, mostly just restrictions on coaches ability to scout recruits and a small fine. Also apparently $500/game is the arbitrary amount that you'll get fined if you let a player that should be held out play a game.

Is this all related to those Sports Illustrated articles that shook the world of college football to it's very core?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pitt is announcing Scott Barnes from Utah State is their new AD.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

cletus42o posted:

Dooley was way ahead of his time.

just like les planned

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Is this all related to those Sports Illustrated articles that shook the world of college football to it's very core?

hey get this, some college football players *glaces side to side nervously* *waves you in close* *drops voice to a whisper* smoke weed

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
As Pickens pulls the fine money out of his sock, somewhere else in the world Thayer Evans furiously masturbates.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

MourningView posted:

hey get this, some college football players *glaces side to side nervously* *waves you in close* *drops voice to a whisper* smoke weed

Those thugs!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
UCLA schedules a home-and-home with Cincinnati in 2018/19.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

VDay posted:

UCLA schedules a home-and-home with Cincinnati in 2018/19.

Why

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Adidas solidarity? I don't know, could be entertaining.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Dan Guerrero is dumb? Why else would you agree to a home and home with a mid-major with a stadium that seats 30K.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The SEC is bitching and moaning about Michigan's satellite camps in their back yards. So Harbaugh invited every coach in NCAA to attend Michigan's camps to speak and participate.

Bob Stitt has already accepted an invite.

Lmao

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Georgia Tech/Boston College game in 2016 in Ireland is off. The Gaelic Athletic Association, which runs the stadium it was set to take place in, says that the strength of the US Dollar compared to the Euro has made the game financially unfeasible. Unofficially, they were also apparently pissed that the timing of the Penn State/UCF game last year ended up forcing some gaelic football game to play in an alternate venue or something.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Regnevelc posted:

The SEC is bitching and moaning about Michigan's satellite camps in their back yards. So Harbaugh invited every coach in NCAA to attend Michigan's camps to speak and participate.

Bob Stitt has already accepted an invite.

Lmao

So, by "the SEC" you mean a couple of schools & Dabo at Clemson? This isn't the 4-D chess or masterful trolling by Harbaugh that you're suggesting.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide
Pretty sure the entire SEC and ACC are pissed that Harbaugh's holding camps in their backyard when they can't do it more than 50 miles from their school. I don't think they're even allowed to accept his invitation.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Raku posted:

Pretty sure the entire SEC and ACC are pissed that Harbaugh's holding camps in their backyard when they can't do it more than 50 miles from their school. I don't think they're even allowed to accept his invitation.

They're pissed off that they made a gentleman's agreement not to do it to each other and the B1G has basically laughed in their faces about it and done them anyway. So they're (ACC/SEC) following the intent of the NCAA provision others aren't no one is on the same page about these things and so GRUMBLY WORDS FROM EVERYONE.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I thought the reason the SEC and ACC didn't allow other schools to satellite their camps is because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I was certain the camp restrictions were by conference.

• Locked thread