Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Against green devotion you want to be bringing in Roasts, Heelcutters and Magmatic Chasms if you have them. What you take out is a bit harder. Definitely drop your Lightning Strikes because they don't have many good targets. Frank Karsten suggested taking out Wild Slash on the play but creatures on the draw (so you can take out their mystics) but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dohaeris posted:

drat, Xmage stopped working. Client launches but the connect window never shows up and I can't click anything in the toolbar. Have to kill it with task manager.

If you wait a long time it'll time out and let you try another server which also won't work. :iiam:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

If you wait a long time it'll time out and let you try another server which also won't work. :iiam:

If you want to goldfish you can play on localhost at least!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

If you want to goldfish you can play on localhost at least!

I am playing Shops, so yeah I pretty much do want to goldfish.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Dohaeris posted:

1 Scouring Sands
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel
4 Roast
2 Searing Blood
2 Destructive Revelry

Thinking about trying to fit a Harness by Force in there, as sometimes the matches I lose end with me having enough mana to strive it at least once, which could potentially end a game otherwise lost.

I like rending volley as a sideboard option recently. The amount of esper control floating around after CFB people lorded it as "the best deck in standard" has increased dramatically and its a easy answer to ojutai in game 2.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within
just had this happen with my living end against a modern UB mill brew, found it a bit hilarious. he had the good manners to let me resolve it all as well. i kinda screwed up screening it, but this was my final living end to hit (the others were binned). ended the game with 4 cards in library.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

How are the Eidolons working for you? I'm also playing Atarka Red and I currently don't have any but am seriously considering it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BattleCake posted:

How are the Eidolons working for you? I'm also playing Atarka Red and I currently don't have any but am seriously considering it.

Eidolons are so important against the Control matchup in which they make all of their countermagic/kill spells help you achieve your goal: killing them as fast as possible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

I am playing Shops, so yeah I pretty much do want to goldfish.

It's back up, btw.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy

Count Bleck posted:

Eidolons are so important against the Control matchup in which they make all of their countermagic/kill spells help you achieve your goal: killing them as fast as possible.

Agreed, you can almost see UB control players sigh when I play one of those turn two. They basically have to remove it first or everything they do pings them.

Heelcutters and Magmatic Chasms and Rending Volley are all good things to consider for the sideboard. I like Searing Blood a ton but I don't think I can use it much in comparison to the other stuff and my meta so I might side that out for something.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
lsv has a sweet new column on cfb where he presents a scenario and you figure out the correct play: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/whats-the-play/

i'm glad for more content like that. crux is out in my mind, i was leaning towards invocation to gain back some life but comments point out that deathdealer is going to be able to regen through the downfall so they'll sac the lion and blank your removal in hand, so i think bile blight is the pick so you can kill deathdealer after untapping, scryland, and then kill lion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

black potus posted:

lsv has a sweet new column on cfb where he presents a scenario and you figure out the correct play: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/whats-the-play/

i'm glad for more content like that. crux is out in my mind, i was leaning towards invocation to gain back some life but comments point out that deathdealer is going to be able to regen through the downfall so they'll sac the lion and blank your removal in hand, so i think bile blight is the pick so you can kill deathdealer after untapping, scryland, and then kill lion.

Bile Blight is just optimal for curve reasons as well. If you take Crux you either play nothing on turn 3, or you're relying on an untapped land draw to be able to actually cast it on 5. You take Bile Blight, play tapped lands turns 3 + 4 (while still casting spells those turns) and then you still have your untapped land in hand to find the most advantageous spot for the tempo boost (even if it's just windmilling out Ojutai on turn 5).

The lifegain isn't too relevant here, abzan is a deck that you can meaningfully stabilize the board against (unlike red aggro where you can "stabilize" and still lose to a topdeck stoke or something).

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015
So stop me if we're already gone over this, but, lets say i use Narset to rebound lightning bolt. I know it would trigger prowess the first time i would cast it, but would it trigger again after the rebound?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

MySwan posted:

So stop me if we're already gone over this, but, lets say i use Narset to rebound lightning bolt. I know it would trigger prowess the first time i would cast it, but would it trigger again after the rebound?

You're casting the spell again so yes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

black potus posted:

I love that poo poo. MaRo got his career started doing puzzles for The Duelist, and I used to love those YOU CAN'T WIN things on InQuest.

MySwan posted:

Yes. It's still casting a spell. Same with Flashback, by the way.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

black potus posted:

Flores has had a gimmick like this on tcgplayer for a while now every Monday, but his writing is so annoying I couldn't be bothered to actually read/care about them after the first few. Glad LSV is running with it now on CFB. I'd also go Bile Blight, hit Deathdealer with it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What mana rules article is MaRo going on about in his tweet?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

dragon enthusiast posted:

What mana rules article is MaRo going on about in his tweet?

This one. Note the url.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lancelot posted:

This one. Note the url.

Clone Zone sounds like a cool card name. Blue and/or Red, some sort of unplayable Mythic. Enchtanment, costs a buttload of mana, at the beginning of your upkeep, do the Clone Legion thing, those tokens have haste and die at EOT?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So they are bringing back mana burn, but mana now only empties at the end of turn?

Huh, Sword of Feast and Famine got a bit better (not that it needed it) and people hording Braid of Fire can now unload them on semi-casual players who wanna make big mana decks.

I'm not a fan but it makes sense, and I doubt it will be to major of an effect on the game.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Madmarker posted:

So they are bringing back mana burn, but mana now only empties at the end of turn?

Huh, Sword of Feast and Famine got a bit better (not that it needed it) and people hording Braid of Fire can now unload them on semi-casual players who wanna make big mana decks.

I'm not a fan but it makes sense, and I doubt it will be to major of an effect on the game.

Bazinga!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Clone Zone sounds like a cool card name. Blue and/or Red, some sort of unplayable Mythic. Enchtanment, costs a buttload of mana, at the beginning of your upkeep, do the Clone Legion thing, those tokens have haste and die at EOT?

Clone Zoness sounds like a cool dude to poo poopost with.

Madmarker posted:

It's very likely that they're fake. Also it's kind of a big deal for pestermite/exarch/port type effects although it's not like wizards would have a strong stance in defending the power of those cards cuz they are peak feelbads.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

I'm loving stupid! :buddy:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 24, 2015

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
:cripes: this thread sometimes

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ah I just read blogatog, it seems like it was a fake :

Blogatog posted:

dlilly8021 asked: So my group just saw the mana burn article. Is this real life?

No, the mana burn article is a parody article by I don’t know who. It was not written by me nor is in any way official. The mana rules are *not* changing with Magic Origins.

April 24, 2015 13 notes

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

It's fake.

I took the liberty of cutting some chaff from your post, hope it's okay.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

God I'm an idiot. :cripes:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

I took the liberty of cutting some chaff from your post, hope it's okay.

All good.

At least the article is an interesting mental exercise in "would wizards ever possibly do this".

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
*senator vreenak voice* its a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake *dies to mana burn*

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
The tweet by Maro that started this conversation said it was a fake and I explicitly said when I posted the link to look at the URL. :downs:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lancelot posted:

The tweet by Maro that started this conversation said it was a fake and I explicitly said when I posted the link to look at the URL. :downs:

yeah, you did, I just looked at the end of the url where it mentioned the mana stuff, like a genius

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Madmarker posted:

yeah, you did, I just looked at the end of the url where it mentioned the mana stuff, like a genius

I literally woke up and saw a link and saw a link near the last post in the thread and read it.

I'm smart. :buddy:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I guess people just missed the CloneZone thing at the bottom of the page scrolling with you. With a link to the page editing site and obvious Facebook, Twitter and Reddit buttons.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Having mana only empty at end of turn would actually be a good change. Is there a reason it doesn't already work that way other than inertia and Braid of Fire?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Having mana only empty at end of turn would actually be a good change. Is there a reason it doesn't already work that way other than inertia and Braid of Fire?

Pestermite/Wasteland/Rishadan Port on upkeep is a pretty common interaction they'd need a good reason to remove entirely.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I didn't notice the URL but I did notice this:

quote:

the last big shift was attached to the release of the Magic2010 core set in 2005.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
That fake article says Magic 2010 came out in 2005.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense, M15 came out in 2010.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

M20 was an amazing draft format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011