Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I thought it was also funny how the hero Saitama thinks is so dumb is an homage to Anpanman (just like Saitama himself!), a hero with bread for a head who was basically Superman except he'll let you munch on his head if you're hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

AnonSpore posted:

I thought it was also funny how the hero Saitama thinks is so dumb is an homage to Anpanman (just like Saitama himself!), a hero with bread for a head who was basically Superman except he'll let you munch on his head if you're hungry.

And how does Powdered Toast Man fit into this hierarchy?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crain posted:

And how does Powdered Toast Man fit into this hierarchy?

I don't know, but he'd fit right in there somewhere that's for sure.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

tsob posted:

Looks familiar, is that the old persona of the All Might analogue in the My Hero Academia pilot chapter?

Gas masks and cowboy hats, a popular hero outfit.

It's not just popular amongst children, adults rate it quite high as well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

NowonSA posted:

The Baked Potato represents the oppression of the poor by the rich. The butter on his head is the small, insignificant pay and favors the rich give to "butter" up the masses.

And don't get me started on flying around using farts...

I love that Saitama does increasingly remarkable heroic feats and never gets credit. Like, it gets more and more ridiculous. I'm looking forward to him one-punching a giant dragon into a million pieces and everyone just assuming it had a hidden bomb inside it or something.

Saitama will beat the entire Hero Organization in an arm wrestling competition at the same time, with Tatsumaki and Fubuki holding him back psychically, and people will still assume they just handed him the match.

What'd solve the problem is if he toyed around with the monsters after they beat everyone. Or punted them into the mesosphere. You can't explain away someone kicking a monster the size of a house forty+ miles into the air!

But that'd kill a lot of the humor of the story so I doubt that'd actually happen.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NowonSA posted:

I love that Saitama does increasingly remarkable heroic feats and never gets credit. Like, it gets more and more ridiculous. I'm looking forward to him one-punching a giant dragon into a million pieces and everyone just assuming it had a hidden bomb inside it or something.

This just happened though

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
"That was no dragon, it was just an overgrown turtle covered in crap. A child's pet was cruelly mistreated by being flushed down the toilet then punched by a bald man on stage!"

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I hope someone in-story makes the "it was swamp gas/a weather balloon" excuse to handwave Saitama's achievements.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
drat, this manga's version of the TMNTs is horrific!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Saitama is the coolest uncool dude in the world.:allears:

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Gameberus is really neat.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
I laughed out loud to a Comic first time in my life.

twice.

Fax Man and Saitama's special power slayed me.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
One Punch Man is really... good.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Zzulu posted:

One Punch Man is really... good.

:agreed:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

One Punch Man is ok.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

One Punch Man is about a man with strong punch who is very bored.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

that was a good special chapter that i enjoyed reading

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Terper posted:

One Punch Man is ok.

It's worth a read, if you're bored.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Upcoming animation lookin good

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
One-Punch Man is up for an Eisner this year.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Kuvo posted:

where can i buy that shirt
You can't buy it you need a full stamp card.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the deal with issue/volume numbering? I read a lot of western comics, but One Punch Man is the first manga I've ever read as it was being published, and I'm a little confused. The latest issue available is 44.5, but the one before it was 44.3. They also have different subtitles even though they're given the same issue number?

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
The artist tends to go back a lot and add new chapters in between old ones, and also redraws certain chapters to make the art better, so I imagine that mucks up the chapter numbering quite a bit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

One-Punch Man originated as a webcomic written and drawn by a guy known only as "ONE." Japanese hotshot illustrator Yusuke Murata caught wind of it later and struck a deal with ONE to redraw his work for a wider audience, including official publication. ONE's art is fairly...simple, I guess you could say, whereas Murata's operates on another level entirely. Subsequently, it takes him longer, so sometimes he'll adapt a longer chapter in shorter chunks, or even redraw/redesign something several times.

All of this is condensed and cleaned up for the individual volume releases.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

One-Punch Man originated as a webcomic written and drawn by a guy known only as "ONE." Japanese hotshot illustrator Yusuke Murata caught wind of it later and struck a deal with ONE to redraw his work for a wider audience, including official publication. ONE's art is fairly...simple, I guess you could say, whereas Murata's operates on another level entirely. Subsequently, it takes him longer, so sometimes he'll adapt a longer chapter in shorter chunks, or even redraw/redesign something several times.

All of this is condensed and cleaned up for the individual volume releases.

That makes sense. Why the skip from 44.3 to 44.5 though?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Ah, that's a little different.

A lot of series will sometimes churn out an intermission or interval chapter between "Actual" chapters. These chapters are usually either unimportant or merely incidental to the existing storyline, and are frequently denoted as X.5, "Halfway" between the previous chapter and the next. In One-Punch Man's case, you'll notice chapter 44.5 pretty much has nothing to do with the rest of chapter 44 before it.

Your confusion is due to the way the uploaders have chosen to identify different segments of the same chapter, which bears similarities with how interval chapters are usually marked out. In a published volume, chapters 44.1, 44.2, and 44.3 would all be condensed into one, single chapter, so it'd be easier to identify chapter 44.5 as its own thing.

Individual chapters getting chopped up isn't the norm, so this isn't a problem you'd run into with the ordering in most other comics.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It gets really fun when Murata goes back to an already released chapter and adds/changes pages

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
For extra bonus confusion, some sites number the chapters differently than others. Some number the redraw according to Murata's release schedule, while some number it according to what point in the original webcomic it corresponds to. Considering Murata publishes anywhere from 5 to 50 pages at a time, trying to judge the pacing from numbers alone is a little difficult.

Just start at the beginning, keep clicking next and try not to think about it.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I started reading through OPM again and in the third chapter I think I noticed someone. Look here: http://bato.to/read/_/153181/onepunch-man_ch3v2_by_boon-scanlation/11 in the bottom right panel - is it King?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, King's whole thing is that he doesn't really let his constant pants-wetting terror show on his face.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nah, King's whole thing is that he doesn't really let his constant pants-wetting terror show on his face.

You say that, but http://bato.to/read/_/279068/onepunch-man_ch38_by_nerieru-scans/5

The real reason it's not King is because he has the facial scars by then.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
King's real personality is what people expect from Saitama, and Saitama's "serious" personality is what they expect from someone who looks like King. King's efforts to hide his terror make him look intimidating as gently caress, yet he can't find the resolve do anything but passively go along with what happens to him. That's exactly the sort of blandness that people associate with Saitama's unassuming demeanor.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
To be fair, all King has going for him is an imposing presence and a grandmaster poker face. If those don't work, he's got nothin'.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
What happens when Garou goes after him? :ohdear:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

King doesn't so much have a poker face as he's just too goddamn terrified to move his face at all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder what role Fubuki is going to take in Saitama's little band of buddies. Hopefully she'll do more than just be The Woman of the group.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cthulhuchan posted:

To be fair, all King has going for him is an imposing presence and a grandmaster poker face. If those don't work, he's got nothin'.

Don't forget insane luck. Literally every time someone is finally set on "calling his bluff", to continue the poker analogy, a real hero shows up to take care of the situation.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Rivensteel posted:

The King Engine will roar.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Rivensteel posted:

He will be challenged to an honorable battle of Video Games and find out that King is indeed the strongest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Now I wanna see King vs. Terence T. D'Arby.