Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is anyone else furiously rubbing one out to the news that not only is the Comcast/TWC deal finito, but the Charter/Brighthouse deal is also dead, and the Comcast/Charter market divesting is dead too.

I'm a hater, but I have to give it to Obama on this one for not staffing the DOJ and FCC with robots looping "deal approved. deal approved. deal approved."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd love to see the right wing media machine start to try to spin as Comcast as a widdle poor innocent victim of the mean old job killing Obama administration, but I'm afraid it would work.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Radbot posted:

Is anyone else furiously rubbing one out to the news that not only is the Comcast/TWC deal finito, but the Charter/Brighthouse deal is also dead, and the Comcast/Charter market divesting is dead too.

I'm a hater, but I have to give it to Obama on this one for not staffing the DOJ and FCC with robots looping "deal approved. deal approved. deal approved."

Jesus christ.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antoinegara/2015/04/24/why-you-shouldnt-celebrate-the-collapse-of-comcasts-bid-for-time-warner-cable/

quote:

Celebrations of the collapse of Comcast's $45 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable may prove short-lived. Instead of a cable sector with lower debt loads and more cash available to bear the brunt of falling subscription prices or added capital investment, U.S. consumers are now likely to get their service from increasingly leveraged providers who may not have the financial wherewithal to handle the industry’s continued upheaval and its chronic spending needs.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
^^^^ That Forbes article is lickspittle right?

Vahakyla posted:

Are law enforcement agents from local and state level disarmed before getting close to the Prez? What about federal, non SS, agents?

Don't worry, that baby crocodile has been vetted.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Woolie Wool posted:

I thought one of the reasons the whole birther meme became so strong was that, as well as being black, Obama has a "foreign" name, so why would his real super secret Kenyan Candidate identity in the birther stories have a more familiar name? Barry Soetoro sounds like he could be one of the guys working at the Circle K down the road.

Because Barry Soetoro was his CIA cover identity for the project to teleport chrononauts to Mars from 1981-83.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Because Barry Soetoro was his CIA cover identity for the project to teleport chrononauts to Mars from 1981-83.

I wish the world was half as cool as infowars people thought it was.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Am I reading this wrong, or is it literally "Now people won't have to buy cable internet from a soulless megacorp because it's the only show in town, they'll actually have choices! Think of the megacorp's profit margin :qq:"

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

silvergoose posted:

"Celebrations of the collapse of Comcast's $45 billion takeover of Time Warner Cable may prove short-lived. Instead of a cable sector with lower debt loads and more cash available to bear the brunt of falling subscription prices or added capital investment, U.S. consumers are now likely to get their service from increasingly leveraged providers who may not have the financial wherewithal to handle the industry’s continued upheaval and its chronic spending needs."

Sounds like they need to be broken up like the Bells.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alter Ego posted:

Am I reading this wrong, or is it literally "Now people won't have to buy cable internet from a soulless megacorp because it's the only show in town, they'll actually have choices! Think of the megacorp's profit margin :qq:"

it's a bad thing for consumers that the increasingly unpopular and pricy services will become more expensive and shittier because

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

It's Forbes, so yeah.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
They would be so much stronger if they were all one corporation. Think of how efficient it would be!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ReidRansom posted:

It's Forbes, so yeah.

Yeah I'm not posting it because it's a valid opinion, I'm posting it because I saw the headline and thought "This has to be one of the worst written piles of crap linked from google finance"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OK, you can control 95% of the cable infrastructure in the county but you have to super mega promise not to gouge the poo poo out your customers ok :kiddo:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

^^^^ That Forbes article is lickspittle right?

Always. If you see Forbes, put on a poncho so you don't get slobber from the sloppy BJ you're about to see.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Radbot posted:

The new head of the FCC is a guy who ran a cable ISP in the 80s similar to AOL that was run out of business by the telecommunication companies' and AOL's business practices so he knows a thing or two about this. Like the one time putting a businessman in charge of regulation works, he got screwed and wants to unfuck it for everyone else.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"No seriously this is an example of where capitalism isn't going to have someone ready to take advantage of a business failing I mean it really, look at my face would I lie to you"

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

eNeMeE posted:

Always. If you see Forbes, put on a poncho so you don't get slobber from the sloppy BJ you're about to see.

The argument doesn't even make sense from a shill perspective. Charter is over leveraged so a deal between Comcast (which has low debt) and TWC (which has low debt) being blocked will lead to greater costs for consumers!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Just nationalize internet infrastructure and treat it as a public utility already.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Just nationalize internet infrastructure and treat it as a public utility already.

:qq: Bu...but private industry does it better...

For ridiculous profit margins

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah but actually this.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

McAlister posted:

A charity like the clinton foundation is a tool that makes money go away. A hedge fund is a tool that accumulates money. They are the opposite of each other. So the Clinton's charity is nothing like the Bush's hedge funds.

Oh, and if you like Terry McAuliffe you may have noticed that he also works for the Clinton foundation for no salary.

I have first hand knowledge of the Clinton foundation, and they do a lot of great work in Africa, specifically. A little more elevated from street level problems than a VSO or Save the Children or something, but its remarkable how quickly they ramped up and provided funds for needed projects to sit across the table of a USAID or the like. They do help a lot of people (with only the attendant problems of any international charitable organization, really).

zoux posted:

OK, you can control 95% of the cable infrastructure in the county but you have to super mega promise not to gouge the poo poo out your customers ok :kiddo:

Don't forget expand services in rural areas. Enforcement mechanism? What enforcement mechanism?

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

quote:

more cash available to bear the brunt of falling subscription prices or added capital investment

"No seriously, once we buy out all of our competition I promise we'll lower prices and spend on better infrastructure even though we'll have every incentive to do the opposite."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sorus posted:

I'm willing to give the Navy a pass; they do more than just blow up brown people (anti-piracy, sea search and rescue, etc). The other branches of the US military though have no redeeming features.

The Army Corps of Engineers does good work pretty darn regularly.

The Air Force's humanitarian work mostly consists of air delivery of aid material. Neither exciting nor high-cost-effectiveness, but I guess it counts.

(also since when does "anti-piracy" not involve shooting/blowing up Somalians and Malaysians)

Oh, and there was also Obama's utilization of a wider swathe of the Army for the Ebola relief efforts.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

I have first hand knowledge of the Clinton foundation, and they do a lot of great work in Africa, specifically.

Benghazi is in Africa!
More proof she funded and planned the attacks!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way, how do TW and Comcast operate legally even NOW, deliberately choosing cities so they don't need to compete with each other like they do?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way, how do TW and Comcast operate legally even NOW, deliberately choosing cities so they don't need to compete with each other like they do?
A lot of this is corruption at the local level actually, with city councils more or less granting monopolies to a given cable company.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's perfectly legal to do that as long as there's no explicit agreement. Even if they both think that as long as they don't move into the other's territory the other won't move into theirs, that's legal absent an actual agreement not to compete.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(also since when does "anti-piracy" not involve shooting/blowing up Somalians and Malaysians)

Protecting people from said Somalians and Malaysians is a good use of force.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

It's perfectly legal to do that as long as there's no explicit agreement. Even if they both think that as long as they don't move into the other's territory the other won't move into theirs, that's legal absent an actual agreement not to compete.
If that's the standard of evidence for an antitrust case, how do antitrust cases ever happen? Isn't there an equivalent of the RICO law for antitrust?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The Army Corps of Engineers does good work pretty darn regularly.

The Air Force's humanitarian work mostly consists of air delivery of aid material. Neither exciting nor high-cost-effectiveness, but I guess it counts.

Oh, and there was also Obama's utilization of a wider swathe of the Army for the Ebola relief efforts.

Almost no counterpiracy operations end in killing.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It technically qualifies but I somehow don't think anti-piracy is the same kind of blowing up brown people that post was referring to.

^^^also that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Maarek posted:

Sounds like they need to be broken up like the Bells.

No, the phrase you're looking for is "last-mile un-bundling"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

No, the phrase you're looking for is "last-mile un-bundling"

Which is why ATT invested so heavily in DSL upgrades....oh wait.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Benghazi is in Africa!
More proof she funded and planned the attacks!

Benghazi Benghazi Benghazi!

The worst Tora sequel.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

If that's the standard of evidence for an antitrust case, how do antitrust cases ever happen? Isn't there an equivalent of the RICO law for antitrust?

It needs to be explicit in some way. If firms behave in ways beneficial to each other without saying they want to, it is legal. Firms can get other firms to do so by 'signaling'.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

As someone who once responded to a pirate attack, I can certifiably say that you don't know what you're talking about ;)

All branches do a considerable amount of humanitarian aid, though, the Navy and Air Force do a lot of the heavy lifting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unified_Response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_response_to_Typhoon_Haiyan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tomodachi

The community events as well as the response to Typhoon Haiyan are some of my proudest moments in the Navy.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boon posted:

All branches do a considerable amount of humanitarian aid, though, the Navy and Air Force do a lot of the heavy lifting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unified_Response
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_response_to_Typhoon_Haiyan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tomodachi

The community events as well as the response to Typhoon Haiyan are some of my proudest moments in the Navy.

I am going to unilaterally state that aid personnel count as supplies so I was still technically right.

(Thanks for the citations.)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Trabisnikof posted:

Which is why ATT invested so heavily in DSL upgrades....oh wait.

They did, though. They probably just aren't called AT&T anymore. For example, Century Link is the current name of the entity that absorbed the Baby Bell that used to service my area and there's no reason to think the same re-conglomeration wouldn't happen to a bunch of regional cable providers - especially because a bunch of regional mergers got us where we are today in the first place.

Last mile un-bundling has nothing to do with how bad DSL is. Old assed phone lines are just not capable of the speeds you can get out of shielded coax.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
We can now make hologram Congressmen and the first person they tried it out on was Blake Farenthold :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Blowdryer posted:

It needs to be explicit in some way. If firms behave in ways beneficial to each other without saying they want to, it is legal. Firms can get other firms to do so by 'signaling'.

"I cannot coordinate with my [competitors] in any way, so I publicly call on them, speaking as a private citizen, to not [invade my territory and I won't invade theirs]."

• Locked thread