Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm losing my mind at Spook in her castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

minema posted:

And here is what Ziggy looks like when he's
Spook got a nice present this year for Christmas

Her very own castle!

That is criminally adorable. :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
so where did you get those? I might consider getting something like that for the more active babies.

minema
May 31, 2011
Ours was from here http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet-castle-by-smartkitz, but I'm in the UK so I'm not sure where you could go in the US.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

That's the cutest! :3: I got one of those castles from a friend whose chinese was too small for it but Cc is too fat for the tiny doors :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
drat, 10 bucks wouldn't be too bad, or even 15 for something like that. Wonder if Petsmart has'em.

minema
May 31, 2011
I need some advice from all the guinea pig people in here.

We've had Ziggy and Spod since December now and they've been getting along fine. We're not sure how old they are but they were definitely fully grown when we'd got them, and they've lived together their whole lives. In the last week or so they've started getting more aggressive with each other. Spod is rumbling much more than normal, and then they both start squeaking and teeth chattering, and chasing each other around the cage. They've not gone for each other at all yet but I'm a bit worried they might do if it escalates. There's not been any changes in their cage or anything. Is it normal for boars to sometimes get more fighty or should I be ready to seperate them? It's definitely not a space issue since their cage is 5ft x 4ft!

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

minema posted:

We've had Ziggy and Spod since December now and they've been getting along fine. We're not sure how old they are but they were definitely fully grown when we'd got them, and they've lived together their whole lives. In the last week or so they've started getting more aggressive with each other. Spod is rumbling much more than normal, and then they both start squeaking and teeth chattering, and chasing each other around the cage. They've not gone for each other at all yet but I'm a bit worried they might do if it escalates. There's not been any changes in their cage or anything. Is it normal for boars to sometimes get more fighty or should I be ready to seperate them? It's definitely not a space issue since their cage is 5ft x 4ft!

Pigs always get in their moods. I wouldn't necessarily stress, check for battle scars in case a lot of nipping has happened. If there is a lot of wounds on either pig, or if they aren't calming down in the next week or so, you can give them a break from each other by separating the cage down the middle (with a grid or something so they can still see/smell each other), and just leave them separated like that for a week or so. After that, try reintroducing them on neutral grounds (like bathroom floor) to see how they act.

We had a pair of fosters that were brothers that went through all of this, and one continued to keep ganging up on the other. We wound up having to get them new younger pigs to pair off with before adopting them out.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

minema posted:

Our pigs do this every now and then, usually ends in humping and boar glue on whoever didn't get away in time. As has been said, check for actual wounds, if you see none then it'll mostly be posturing and I'm bigger than you stuff going on. Annoying, but not terribly worrisome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Meet Squiggle.

She is about six months old, though I've only had her a couple of months - for some reason nobody wanted her. She holds the current speed record for Figuring Out How To Unscrew The Ratmobile Door after managing it on her second time out, likes a bit of headroom in her nest and while you can't see it in that picture, she's quite unusually coloured - she's a tri-colour hamster with a brindled head.

I have no idea how you people take decent photos of your hamsters. One attempt I made to photograph Squiggle she managed to get completely out of the frame between me pushing the button and the image being captured, and they're always blurred.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
LET ME OUTTA HERE!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Captain Invictus posted:

LET ME OUTTA HERE!

Well, yeah, I've yet to see a hamster that didn't need a little tin cup.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you keep hamsters in an aquarium instead of a cage, they'll flop back and forth against the glass in lieu of grabbing onto bars. It's funny for a while until they start doing it for hours at a time.

Naturally they're content doing this instead of playing with the myriad treats, chews, and wheels I give them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Jedit posted:

Well, yeah, I've yet to see a hamster that didn't need a little tin cup.

Well my hamster will often try furiously to get back in her cage after you put her outside on the desk to explore. I once found her stuck after having climbed halfway up one of the side walls after she couldn't find the entrance and decided up and over would have been easier.

Too bad there's a roof.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
It's almost as if hamster have digital processing. A treat is either completely uninteresting or THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Jedit posted:

Meet Squiggle.

She is about six months old, though I've only had her a couple of months - for some reason nobody wanted her. She holds the current speed record for Figuring Out How To Unscrew The Ratmobile Door after managing it on her second time out, likes a bit of headroom in her nest and while you can't see it in that picture, she's quite unusually coloured - she's a tri-colour hamster with a brindled head.

I have no idea how you people take decent photos of your hamsters. One attempt I made to photograph Squiggle she managed to get completely out of the frame between me pushing the button and the image being captured, and they're always blurred.

Hello cutie :3: need to see that pretty coat colour please!

I just take videos instead, almost all non blurry photos I have are of her stuffing her face since it's the only time she's stationary. Or this one where she looks like a wall-eyed demon.

the egg box was merely the beginning...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Chinchilla people!

Dexter has been chewing the hair off of his front legs and I have no idea why. Changing his cage placement in the house (busy possibly stressful area with dogs to a not so busy area where it's quieter and off-limits to dogs) and changing climate (Texas to Nebraska) has not changed it. He is otherwise 100% fine. He's been doing it for close to a year now with no other behavioral changes or health problems. Should I just let it go or be worried about it? I would've taken him to the vet but until recently I lived somewhere with no exotic animal vets within a 2 hour drive. I googled it and all the hits were for them tearing out hair around their hips, nothing for idly nibbling leg hair. He's got stuff to chew on, a wheel to run on, and places to hide so I'm not sure what else I can do to keep him occupied.

Smokey, my other chinchilla, has been in the exact same situation and is totally fine.

The rear end in a top hat in question with weird hairless stick legs:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Dexter's twiggy bald legs

If you can read through the awful text formatting, http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/furbite.htm seems to suggest that chewing fur is akin to nail biting in humans, a bad habit that doesn't necessarily hurt the chin. Does he get enough out-of-cage playtime? Swap out toys occasionally/move their locations around to keep things interesting? Not overly dry or humid? It could be because he never learned proper grooming from his mom, the same reason my Amie gets fur mats around her groin that I have to trim down a few times a year.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

TunaSpleen posted:

If you can read through the awful text formatting, http://www.chinchillas2home.co.uk/furbite.htm seems to suggest that chewing fur is akin to nail biting in humans, a bad habit that doesn't necessarily hurt the chin. Does he get enough out-of-cage playtime? Swap out toys occasionally/move their locations around to keep things interesting? Not overly dry or humid? It could be because he never learned proper grooming from his mom, the same reason my Amie gets fur mats around her groin that I have to trim down a few times a year.

He started doing it when I went out of town for two weeks and all he saw was a petsitter for 15 minutes a day, I think he just got really bored and started chewing and just never stopped.

Clockroach
Dec 12, 2010
A hospital in my area is looking for therapy animals. I didn't expect it, but turns out they'd accept and register guinea pigs if I'm willing to put the time in. It looks like most of the criteria is "doesn't totally scramble away when startled". One out of my three boys would be perfect, because I think he saves all his energy for pooping and finding new uncomfortable positions to sleep in. (Of the other two, one's too skittish and the other is too active.)

Does anyone have any experience with that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
RIP Max, the best hamster I've ever had. Rescued him two years ago from my ex roommate's insane crack whore friend who wanted to feed him to a snake because her kids who owned it moved away; he was the most loving, hilarious, talkative, intelligent hamster I've ever seen. He was house trained and would actively try not to pee on people, and almost never bit, instead kind of holding your finger in his mouth, not chomping. About a month ago I think he had a stroke, and he just was never the same, sadly. I'm glad I happened to not go to work last night, I was able to spend the last few hours with him to comfort him before he died peacefully curled up in my hand.

Bye little buddy, you were one of a kind.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Aww no, poor Max :( RIP little guy

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Clockroach posted:

A hospital in my area is looking for therapy animals. I didn't expect it, but turns out they'd accept and register guinea pigs if I'm willing to put the time in. It looks like most of the criteria is "doesn't totally scramble away when startled". One out of my three boys would be perfect, because I think he saves all his energy for pooping and finding new uncomfortable positions to sleep in. (Of the other two, one's too skittish and the other is too active.)

Does anyone have any experience with that?

This would be an awesome thing to do with a pig who wouldn't get stressed out from the traveling and handling. The only downside I can see here is them potentially pooping/peeing on a patient. Otherwise it would be super adorable. :3:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Captain Invictus posted:

would actively try not to pee on people

Truly the greatest ham that ever lived. RIP Max.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

Party Boat posted:

Truly the greatest ham that ever lived. RIP Max.

For real. Max is certainly honored with a special place in Heaven.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He would grab your finger gently in his teeth and hold it there to let you know he was getting antsy and needed to go.

gently caress, lifespans are the worst part about hamsters. :(

crazycarl
Jun 13, 2001

Welcome to TB Diddlers in Mokena.

Where the special is always Dr Rassmusin's Hot Beef Injection and you can play "Whers my Manometer" with other diners
So last night when we gave our pigs their treats (oxbow vit c tablets), one of our older pair Capicola goes nuts for them and will take hers and run to the other side of the cage so her sister Prosciutto wont get it. Well when Capi was done with hers she decided that she wanted Prosciutto's not a bright idea since Prosciutto wont give it up at all, so after 3 attempts at the treat Capi runs over to me and starts chattering as if to tattle on her sister, all I could do was roll my eyes and giver her another tablet.

Also in the other cage I had tried a cuddle cup for the younger three, Mortadella, Pancetta, Genoa Salami, and all they wanted to do was chew the hell out of it and would only go into it to chew on it some more. So after deciding that I didn't want them to chew it anymore I pulled it out of the cage, Della didn't like this so she came to the front of the cage stared at me with a look like this :catstare: and once she knew I was looking right at her started chattering, my wife laughed and said "wow she is mad at you"

I love guinea pigs

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there a way to get female hamsters to not musk when picked up? Or whatever the horrific-smelling stuff they excrete when shocked.

The shocking part is pretty much unavoidable because hamsters are little bundles of panic most of the time

Like even if I get them to climb onto my hand of their own volition they'll still likely do it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Cuddle cups were kind of hit or miss with my pigs. Some were all gently caress YEAH COMFY THING and others were like "cool another thing to chew and pee on"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Is using a small towel just too boring and practical to be a solution? :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
If I pick up my pig 2 things will immediately happen

a) pee
2) she will spend the entire time pulling the loops out of the blanket

So I've resigned myself to just sitting next to the cage and petting her which she seems OK with

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adult Sword Owner posted:

If I pick up my pig 2 things will immediately happen

a) pee
2) she will spend the entire time pulling the loops out of the blanket

So I've resigned myself to just sitting next to the cage and petting her which she seems OK with

The ones I had as a teenager would either try to sit under my chin or just scurry up my shoulder and try to sit on top of my head. They wouldn't hump or anything, just try their damnedest to climb up and sit there.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there a way to get female hamsters to not musk when picked up? Or whatever the horrific-smelling stuff they excrete when shocked.

The shocking part is pretty much unavoidable because hamsters are little bundles of panic most of the time

Like even if I get them to climb onto my hand of their own volition they'll still likely do it.
None of my 4 girls have done that, as far as I've noticed anyway. Cc will rub herself on everything if she's in a new place and you can definitely smell something but not when I pick her up. You learn something new every day! And you're sure its not just pee?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

My hamster hasn't had very many issues with peeing on people. Just occasionally. And she seems a little too carefree sometimes about situations in which she should be scared in... :v:

Here is her exploring a laptop! This was right before little Babs decided to climb up onto the shoulders of the laptop user and making a nest out of her hair.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 24, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

teenytinymouse posted:

None of my 4 girls have done that, as far as I've noticed anyway. Cc will rub herself on everything if she's in a new place and you can definitely smell something but not when I pick her up. You learn something new every day! And you're sure its not just pee?

It's a single drop of white liquid that is literally vomit-inducingly nasty smelling. These girls are the only hamsters I've ever owned to do this, and they do it almost every time you pick them up.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

BABS! :kimchi: she's so tiny! I always forget how tiny the tiny ones are!

Sorry Invictus, still no clue. You have all Syrians right? Their pee is milky looking but I've never had any "excretions" that made me want to barf. Have you tried a hamster specific forum?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

teenytinymouse posted:

BABS! :kimchi: she's so tiny! I always forget how tiny the tiny ones are!

Sorry Invictus, still no clue. You have all Syrians right? Their pee is milky looking but I've never had any "excretions" that made me want to barf. Have you tried a hamster specific forum?

Her attempts at eating a single grape will always warm my heart. :3:

Yeah I haven't ever heard of that excretion thing hm...

minema
May 31, 2011
Unfortunately my Syrian hamster Spook passed away a month ago. She was only a year old, I was checking on the pets one morning and noticed she hadn't touched her food bowl, lifted up the lid to her house and she was all curled up and cold. :(

Me and my boyfriend were very upset, and it was very bizarre not having a hamster around any more. Today we decided it had been long enough and we have a new hamster! His name is Newton and he is adorable. :3: I will take some pictures when he is less terrified. We also splashed out on a new house for him - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Savic-Hamster-Navy-Blue-Cage/dp/B003XLEFXG, and it is amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

minema posted:

Unfortunately my Syrian hamster Spook passed away a month ago. She was only a year old, I was checking on the pets one morning and noticed she hadn't touched her food bowl, lifted up the lid to her house and she was all curled up and cold. :(
This might sound gross, but before you bury her or whatever, check her teeth. It's possible her teeth grew too long and she could no longer eat. I've had it happen before, the teeth on hamsters and other rodents can grow insanely quickly and sometimes they just don't want to chew on things.

I just periodically check mine and use some model clippers to cut them a few millimeters above where the gums end between the teeth. It can be difficult to wrestle them down to get it done, but I find that puffing a bit of air in their face startles them momentarily, which can give you enough time to get the bottom teeth between the clippers and make sure you don't cut the tongue/gums/cheeks etc. I give them a treat right after and they immediately forget all about the struggling they just went through.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minema
May 31, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

This might sound gross, but before you bury her or whatever, check her teeth. It's possible her teeth grew too long and she could no longer eat. I've had it happen before, the teeth on hamsters and other rodents can grow insanely quickly and sometimes they just don't want to chew on things.

I don't think that was it, she was eating fine the days leading up to her dying. I think she probably just had a heart attack/stroke/something similar in her sleep. :(

Oh hey, I have some of those clippers already, will definitely keep an eye on Newton's teeth. Thanks!