Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC7983 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Salton Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Pukestain Pal posted:

I'm so happy you figured out dat tone

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

KGW690_TriX800_1stRoll008-Edit
by Bud_lish, on Flickr

Scanned my first roll through a new to me GW690. Really enjoying it so far, and its going with me to Hawaii in a month!

Also first time shooting Tri-X at 800 and finally seeing some nice grain.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Here is a question best suited to this thread I think. My not that long suffering GW690 won't open the shutter anymore. Does anyone have any experience with THE GUY (like that one guy for old pentax cameras that I think has been brought up in this thread) for fixing medium format fujis anywhere in the states? I found a few places but would love to know if there is anybody goon-tested-and-approved.

How did I find out? I went to Ireland for a week and managed to bring back 9 blank rolls of 220 portra.

also dorkasaurus i like them better pink.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
When I was shopping around for my GW690II I was curious if I could get it CLA'd, so I emailed every authorized Fuji repair center and found out that they had all either closed or no longer service it.

People have mentioned Mark Hama doing good work, but he seems to specialize in Yashica TLRs, though his website claims he repairs all cameras.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
I just recently got a GW690II from a Japanese seller at a very reasonable price and it slipped through customs unnoticed saving me a chunk of cash. It seems in great condition, the seals are a bit deteriorated (which I knew going in) but it supposedly light tight, I'll find out when I get my test roll back tomorrow. I didn't realise how much of the camera was plastic, the way I've heard people go on about the newer model being plastic-ey so I presumed that it was all metal.

On a side note, do you think we'll ever see someone make instax backs for any medium format system camera? The RB/RZ67 seem like a good fit since the film width is a little over 6cm. The Lomo people have made some conversion kits for their cameras and I've seen people modify them to work on the Poloroid 600SE. It'd be cool to have some form of instant film on a decent manual camera seen as how FP-100C will probably disappear at some stage.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

There's already Graflox Instax backs for LF which would net you full coverage

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Dosse-Via by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

crap nerd posted:

I just recently got a GW690II from a Japanese seller at a very reasonable price and it slipped through customs unnoticed saving me a chunk of cash. It seems in great condition, the seals are a bit deteriorated (which I knew going in) but it supposedly light tight, I'll find out when I get my test roll back tomorrow. I didn't realise how much of the camera was plastic, the way I've heard people go on about the newer model being plastic-ey so I presumed that it was all metal.

On a side note, do you think we'll ever see someone make instax backs for any medium format system camera? The RB/RZ67 seem like a good fit since the film width is a little over 6cm. The Lomo people have made some conversion kits for their cameras and I've seen people modify them to work on the Poloroid 600SE. It'd be cool to have some form of instant film on a decent manual camera seen as how FP-100C will probably disappear at some stage.

I'm hoping that Fuji is moving enough FP-100C to justify keeping it going, but if they decide to stop it the only notice will be a post on a message board about what some guy heard from his store's distributor followed by the last 10 boxes of film being shipped out and the line being shuttered forever. Fuji is really bad at giving notice.

If they're shipping that little FP-100C I think Instax would probably be up on the chopping block soon too.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

crap nerd posted:

I would buy an RB Instax back in a hot minute.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm hoping that Fuji is moving enough FP-100C to justify keeping it going, but if they decide to stop it the only notice will be a post on a message board about what some guy heard from his store's distributor followed by the last 10 boxes of film being shipped out and the line being shuttered forever. Fuji is really bad at giving notice.

If they're shipping that little FP-100C I think Instax would probably be up on the chopping block soon too.

Instax at least the mini, won't be on the chopping block for a while. There's been massive supply issues here in Aus due to Japan not expecting the huge demand for film.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
yeeaahh, test roll seems free of light leaks

Ethanfr0me
Feb 2, 2012
This isn't even my final form.

Polaroids look awesome, getting 120 test rolls developed soon. Lovin' this beast.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
cool prop from the little known dirty harry sci-fi spin off

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

you were doing so well :(

crap nerd posted:

yeeaahh, test roll seems free of light leaks

Temple Bar?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008

Yep, I was just wondering around burning a test roll.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Anyone need 30+ 4x5 film holders? You got 6 hours to bid. http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewitem-sugg.asp?itemid=21133473

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tried developing sheet film in trays today. Never again.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Helicity posted:

I got sick of trying to find a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad that didn't have mechanical issues, haze, or fungus, and part of that is just really bad luck, so I bit the bullet on some large format gear.

Someone didn't check the B/S/T thread. >:(

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

BANME.sh posted:

When I was shopping around for my GW690II I was curious if I could get it CLA'd, so I emailed every authorized Fuji repair center and found out that they had all either closed or no longer service it.

People have mentioned Mark Hama doing good work, but he seems to specialize in Yashica TLRs, though his website claims he repairs all cameras.

Mark Hama CLA'd my Kalloflex. He did an awesome job.

He took 3.5 months despite saying 2 weeks. Never answers emails or phone calls. So be prepared for that. But he did a good job.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC8266 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

Still screwing around with the Mamiya Press and the juicy 6x9 negatives it produces. The 50 year old technology kicks rear end and takes names still to this day. It makes me giddy.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
So, finally got my first few sheets of LF scanned. I knew the results were going to be... interesting, since I was
a) using the camera for the first time
b) focused without a loupe on a shaky tripod
c) hadn't checked it for light leaks
d) put the film through my checked luggage (oops)
e) didn't compensate for bellows extension so probably underexposed.

That said, I kind of like the effect. It's like Holga, only really incredibly expensive! :D

Dad with X-Ray, Light Leaks and Scratches by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

a stranger by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

skin tone success!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Wandering with the Bronica:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Chinese Checkers by Nick Bremer Korb, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Stirling Road by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

That looks great. Great tones etc etc blah blah. Really lovely photo. Very crisp. I got a new macbook retina on account of my last one being smashed in half after I watched American Sniper on a bottle of rum and snapped it. Photos on a screen look unbelievable now....everyone's photos from the past few months look amazing... alpkanphel especially loving your stuff... so consistent!

(is there any sense of unrealism with this super-definition? is it 'untrue' representation of a pic?)

I have a heap of film from my last trip to the ice over the last five months to develop, most of it slide and a bit of portra but I'm poo poo scared to send it in and get it developed because I'm broke rear end.

Anyway....
Really great to catch up on all your work over the last few months. Everyone doing great... I hope you are all well and healthy.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 29, 2015

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Figured I'd share a neat little thing with you guys. My school has a rail camera i've been eyeballing for close to a year, but it didn't have a lens board to go with any of the two lenses that were with it. I got to talking with the lab tech and we got to work 3d printing a lens board to fit!

So far there's been no problems with lightleaks or fog!

It's a big image, i'll have a chance to scale it down in an hour.

The Modern Sky fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 30, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Understanding posted:

Figured I'd share a neat little thing with you guys. My school has a rail camera i've been eyeballing for close to a year, but it didn't have a lens board to go with any of the two lenses that were with it. I got to talking with the lab tech and we got to work 3d printing a lens board to fit!

So far there's been no problems with lightleaks or fog!

It's a big image, i'll have a chance to scale it down in an hour.

That's loving cool. Hopefully it works!

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
The test exposure show no fog and odd scattering.

There's one more lensboard to make, a Copal 1 i believe.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Is it possible to trade lenses between lens boards in any kind I'd simple way or does it need to be mounted professionally every time? Is there some sort of adapter board situation?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Go to the section on "Attaching Lenses to View Cameras"

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-primer/

Just have a lens board for each lens, they cost nearly nothing and can be made from nearly anything stiff enough to hold the weight of the lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You can get a technika to larger board adapter if your camera takes those huge ones. That way you can carry your lenses with a much smaller foot print. I have one for my 8x10 which takes 6 inch boards.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bolzano by alkanphel, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

coast by mydoski, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
When a camera repair guide tells you to use oil very sparingly, please follow that advice.

The 80mm lens that came with my Mamiya C220 was behaving weirdly. The shutter wouldn't move unless you manually cocked and fired it a half dozen times. Needed to warm up I guess. The shutter speeds were off as well, at least according to my home made shutter speed tester.

I took it apart (surprisingly easy) and thought maybe it needed a bit of lubrication after all these years. The guide I was following said to use the smallest amount of oil possible, but I still used too much. A bunch of it seeped onto the shutter and aperture blades

:negative:

Just spent the last two hours cleaning them as best as I could using rosonol and isopropyl. At least I think I fixed the shutter, but I'm gonna let it sit overnight and see if it's still working the same after resting for a few hours.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Who Broke NY by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Posting by Shrieking Muppet, on Flickr

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

:wow: