Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

wateroverfire posted:

If I could pay a man less because he might theoretically decide to gender switch and roleplay pregnancy I would do that in the name of equality.

#Progressive #EqualPay

I think you'd have to pay most men extra if you want them to roleplay this fetish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

I think you'd have to pay most men extra if you want them to roleplay this fetish

What if the RP were required and I paid less to those who opted out? And also paid participants less because pregnancy? Gender pay gap solved.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Since you're not requiring women to roleplay, can women get a raise if they have a hysterectomy or show proof of menopause?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Since you're not requiring women to roleplay, can women get a raise if they have a hysterectomy or show proof of menopause?

If they display their bronzed uteri as desk ornaments I will consider it.

Then pay them less because not as assertive in pay negotiations.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
There was a thing on NPR yesterday about companies getting rid of salary negotiation to encourage equal pay for women.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Miltank posted:

There was a thing on NPR yesterday about companies getting rid of salary negotiation to encourage equal pay for women.

Seriously? No bargaining power for any employee? The dream is alive. :911:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
We must protect the relative equality of our upper class white women.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'm really glad D&D has managed to produce 60 pages of cogent discussion of this totally real and not made up* phenomenon. Can anyone summarize for me what we've accomplished in this thread w/r/t clarifying the D&D mass line?

*not even a little bit

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm really glad D&D has managed to produce 60 pages of cogent discussion of this totally real and not made up* phenomenon. Can anyone summarize for me what we've accomplished in this thread w/r/t clarifying the D&D mass line?

*not even a little bit

Cultural Appropriation is a thing and we should consider it when someone is offended by it. Unless their reaction seems unreasonable or silly and then we shouldn't. No that is not begging the question at all.

/close thread.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

wateroverfire posted:

The tradgedy of leftism is turning everything into an outrage.

This is a good point, thank you for making it. Once everything is an outrage, nothing is an outrage.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Arglebargle III posted:

*not even a little bit

Namely that whitey bad and anything that a white american uses that may have originated in another culture is CA and also

Thankfully we have Effectronica and VitalSigns to tell us what horrible people we are and to white knight that poor woman from that country in Africa

edit: just like to add, not sure this is a completely tumblerina-only phenomena. My 15 year old came home this week telling me that they discussed CA in 10th grade Social Studies class, in a very blue collar school. I told her she's no longer allowed to braid her hair or eat shrimp lo mein

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 24, 2015

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Namely that whitey bad and anything that a white american uses that may have originated in another culture is CA and also
see? that's the problem of taking TumblrInAction (or gamers.txt or whatever) seriously.
It's kind of like people watching Rambo II and thinking that's a fair representation of what war looks like.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pauline Kael posted:

Thankfully we have Effectronica and VitalSigns to tell us what horrible people we are and to white knight that poor woman from that country in Africa

edit: just like to add, not sure this is a completely tumblerina-only phenomena. My 15 year old came home this week telling me that they discussed CA in 10th grade Social Studies class, in a very blue collar school. I told her she's no longer allowed to braid her hair or eat shrimp lo mein

Thats clearly a fakepost, and :lol: in general at what amounts to WND levels of entertainment.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Pauline Kael posted:

Given enough retards, their bullshit spills over into mainstream society.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Right you can't just lump everything together on superficial similarities, you look at the intentions and effects. There's no ill intent, there are no bad effects so it's fine. This is the standard we apply to lots of things, and it's the one that I am applying here.

Eating sushi, well that's just a good idea and doesn't contribute to negative stereotypes about Japanese people. Wearing a plastic feather headdress to a football game, ehhhhh not so much.

E: Ahahaha I used sexism as an example of valid complaints vs insane ones, and of course someone comes in with "well shouldn't a woman get paid less if she's just gonna have babiesbabiesbabies" :laffo: Hmm, Gantolandon I suppose now I get to tell you that you can't just disclaim wateroverfire and No True Scotsman him because hmmm hmmm you can't deny that he's on your side about CA and is saying some crazy poo poo that discredits your position ;)

I don't think your gotcha works. I can agree with wateroverfire about CA and disagree on other things. My arguments about CA cannot be taken verbatim to justify paying women less.

As for "intentions and effects" part, you are now moving your goalposts. It was only about effects before. Yeah, the intent means a huge lot for definitions such as sexism, which tend to assume some specific mindset of the perpetrator.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Nonsense posted:

Thats clearly a fakepost, and :lol: in general at what amounts to WND levels of entertainment.
How do you know fakepost from realpost? Are fakeposts anything that make your pet cause look stupid?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

How do you know fakepost from realpost? Are fakeposts anything that make your pet cause look stupid?

Yes.

Ormi
Feb 7, 2005

B-E-H-A-V-E
Arrest us!

Pauline Kael posted:

Maybe just stop and give your opponent the benefit of the doubt instead of sticking them with the stupidest thing you can find from a completely anonymous source. It's already intellectually dishonest, but there's a documented history of people making fake tumblr and Twitter accounts to post things just like that and manufacture outrage. That account in particular was one of them IIRC, that's why it was censored in the screencap when redistributed.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Ormi posted:

Maybe just stop and give your opponent the benefit of the doubt instead of sticking them with the stupidest thing you can find from a completely anonymous source. It's already intellectually dishonest, but there's a documented history of people making fake tumblr and Twitter accounts to post things just like that and manufacture outrage. That account in particular was one of them IIRC, that's why it was censored in the screencap when redistributed.

You're right, I should respect the leading voices raising awareness about Cultural Appropriation and never associate them with the teeming hordes of tumblerinas and Professional Outrageists complaining about Gwen Stefani and the take out Chinese place

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Pauline Kael posted:

Reminds me of the USAnian* actress who expressed surprise at how many 'African-Americans' she saw on her first visit to Paris.

*I require acknowledgement for this display of sensitivity toward Mexicans and Canadians.

Oh, how I love this thread. It's the best of D&D.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Ormi posted:

Perhaps the fetishists could give CA skeptics the benefit of the doubt, and stop shrieking racism when teased about their pet theory. What a thin-skinned bunch you are.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ormi posted:

If this is what's happening, it seems pretty straightforward to say "Oh yeah, those guys are idiots, here's how to distinguish us from them." The problem is the natural understanding of cultural appropriations is that it would include things like eating sushi, and it seems like a typical response is "No one actually cares about that." It seems reasonable to only talk about things that people care about, but it's also basically a request to go on an idiot hunt, and if all you have to do is locate an idiot to make your point, that's a pretty low bar. If we're going to talk about things that not-idiots care about we need a mechanism to distinguish them.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

If this is what's happening, it seems pretty straightforward to say "Oh yeah, those guys are idiots, here's how to distinguish us from them."
This is actually a very fair point.

Is there anything besides a smell test to tell the silly CA from the non-silly apart?

quote:

You're right, I should respect the leading voices raising awareness about Cultural Appropriation and never associate them with the teeming hordes of tumblerinas and Professional Outrageists complaining about Gwen Stefani and the take out Chinese place
There is a larger problem than just Cultural Appropriation, it is Idea Appropriation where well-meaning theories get filtered, taken out of context and weaponized by a bunch of narcisists on social media as a way to validate the dumb ideas they already had. CA was thus appropriated.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Ormi posted:

I feel less inclined to give anyone a benefit of doubt if I'm treated as an another incarnation of Hitler whenever I refuse to speak proper lingo.

twodot posted:

If this is what's happening, it seems pretty straightforward to say "Oh yeah, those guys are idiots, here's how to distinguish us from them." The problem is the natural understanding of cultural appropriations is that it would include things like eating sushi, and it seems like a typical response is "No one actually cares about that." It seems reasonable to only talk about things that people care about, but it's also basically a request to go on an idiot hunt, and if all you have to do is locate an idiot to make your point, that's a pretty low bar. If we're going to talk about things that not-idiots care about we need a mechanism to distinguish them.

From what I saw in this thread, reasonable people with important issues are actually happy to argue alongside idiots and never correcting them through the entire thread.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
You need to ask before you borrow something that doesn't belong to you, right? So why not just ask before you borrow a culture? I think I've solved this problem, everyone can go home.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Shayu posted:

You need to ask before you borrow something that doesn't belong to you, right? So why not just ask before you borrow a culture? I think I've solved this problem, everyone can go home.

Good point. My German family awaits your permission slip for use of a car.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's so great that we've had all this discussion of this real and important issue on the Earth. Can anyone summarize what the thread has decided on the subject of cultural appropriation so I can use it going forward in my life to improve my moral uprightness?

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Arglebargle III posted:

It's so great that we've had all this discussion of this real and important issue on the Earth. Can anyone summarize what the thread has decided on the subject of cultural appropriation so I can use it going forward in my life to improve my moral uprightness?

Don't be an rear end in a top hat, have respect for stuff that's important to other people.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
So basically CA adds nothing of value in any meaningful way to any discussion about anything.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

CarrKnight posted:

So basically CA adds nothing of value in any meaningful way to any discussion about anything.

I find it useful for talking about cultural appropriation, but if you don't want to talk about cultural appropriation it's probably not that useful.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Obdicut posted:

I find it useful for talking about cultural appropriation, but if you don't want to talk about cultural appropriation it's probably not that useful.

No. Every example about CA brought forward turned out to be about something else. CA is terrible precisely because it is deployed so poorly.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CarrKnight posted:

No. Every example about CA brought forward turned out to be about something else. CA is terrible precisely because it is deployed so poorly.

CA, within the context discussed in this thread, and the times I've encountered it in the wild, is nothing more than a bludgeon for intemperate Tumblerinas to yell at their dads and other assorted miscreants to try to force their half baked ideas on others. The supposed victims of CA, like the previously mentioned take out Chinese restaurant owner, want nothing to do with the driving philosophy of so many overweight white teenage other kin

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

Don't be an rear end in a top hat, have respect for stuff that's important to other people.

this is my water fountain, not your water fountain

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

CA, within the context discussed in this thread, and the times I've encountered it in the wild, is nothing more than a bludgeon for intemperate Tumblerinas to yell at their dads and other assorted miscreants to try to force their half baked ideas on others. The supposed victims of CA, like the previously mentioned take out Chinese restaurant owner, want nothing to do with the driving philosophy of so many overweight white teenage other kin

Not everybody who disagrees with you (and me) has dyed hair and signs herself with #killallmen. Get over it.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

CarrKnight posted:

Not everybody who disagrees with you (and me) has dyed hair and signs herself with #killallmen. Get over it.

Huh? You might be in the wrong thread. I mean, I'm sure there is some overlap between #killallmen and #angryaboutsushi but I didn't think I was describing garden variety angry feminists. People who (non ironically!) bring up CA as a tool to badger other people are profoundly childish and pretty much the textbook definition of Tumblerina

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

CarrKnight posted:

Things can actually be two things at once. Things can be cultural appropriation and also something else.

Cole posted:

this is my water fountain, not your water fountain

Nah, that's segregation. We're talking more about "This is our sacred mountain, don't carve the heads of your presidents into the side of it, thanks."

I mean, we already did that, but at least let's not do that again, that'd be really lovely of us.

Anyway, as it was from the start, cultural appropriation is pretty simple, and the 'what to do' part about it is basic human decency. So you really don't have to worry about cultural appropriation that much if you're not a jerk and actually pay attention to what bothers other people and why. If you want to study the interaction of minority and majority group sociologically, cultural appropriation is a useful academic context. If you want to talk about one fo the ways the dominant culture erases minority culture, it's good for that too. But in the end it's just a concept and a phrase and you're not going to lose out by not using it as long as you get what the actual concept is.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Obdicut posted:

Nah, that's segregation. We're talking more about "This is our sacred mountain, don't carve the heads of your presidents into the side of it, thanks."

no, we're talking about white dudes singing along with rap music

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Cole posted:

no, we're talking about white dudes singing along with rap music

Don't forget white male Americans eating Italian Ice, literally shaking here, don't even get me started on Taco Bell

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
Obsicut: "I am talking about this"

Pauline Kael "No, I've decided you are talking about something completely different because it validates my fears of swarthy Italians and Mexicans taking away my desserts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Obsicut: "I am talking about this"

Pauline Kael "No, I've decided you are talking about something completely different because it validates my fears of swarthy Italians and Mexicans taking away my desserts"

You can pretend the concept of CA is whatever you like. The reality of CA, as used in 'popular' culture is a lot closer to how I'm describing it than some abstract academic concept, but by all means line up with fat angry white teenagers, I'm sure you'll fit right in

• Locked thread