Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

jivjov posted:

Sounds like you've got a bad drive

Well, it doesn't have any issues with keeping data on it (SMG2, Punch-Out and MKDS are on there fine) it just has issues with poo poo getting downloaded/installed onto it.

I've had this drive for a few years and when it was hooked up to my PC it frequently got knocked off the desk or slid off. So maybe that has some part in why its being such a lovely thing lately.

I switched the cable around (Putting the connecter that was in the bottom at the top and vice-versa) and it seems alright, but now it won't let me delete another corrupted download of MPT (Well, it started to delete, but then told me the data was corrupted again, checking details just tells me "An error has occured :downs:", so apparently the fucker has corrupted its own ability to delete poo poo.)

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Well, it doesn't have any issues with keeping data on it (SMG2, Punch-Out and MKDS are on there fine) it just has issues.

I've had this drive for a few years and when it was hooked up to my PC it frequently got knocked off the desk or slid off.

I switched the cable around (Putting the connecter that was in the bottom at the top and vice-versa) and it seems alright, but now it won't let me delete another corrupted download of MPT (Well, it started to delete, but then told me the data was corrupted again, checking details just told me "An error has occured", so apparently the fucker has corrupted its own ability to delete poo poo.)

Issues up to and including crashes and erroring out on downloads. You have a bad drive that has just enough life left in it to kinda sorta sometimes work.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

Issues up to and including crashes and erroring out on downloads. You have a bad drive that has just enough life left in it to kinda sorta sometimes work.

Cool, great.

Guess I'll have to get another one.

No big deal, it was only a 500GB one that I just wanted to repurpose because I didn't need it hooked up to my PC anymore but I guess its hosed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Cool, great.

Guess I'll have to get another one.

No big deal, it was only a 500GB one that I just wanted to repurpose because I didn't need it hooked up to my PC anymore but I guess its hosed.

Hard drives are cheap these days; especially in sub-terrabyte sizes. The only reason I'm using a 2tb drive on mine is because I already had it around. Were i buying a new drive just for the wii U, it would not be bigger than maaaaaybe 1tb and probably more like 500gb.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I got a 2 TB drive cuz it was like $4 more than a 1 TB.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

elf help book posted:

I got a 2 TB drive cuz it was like $4 more than a 1 TB.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

jivjov posted:

Hard drives are cheap these days; especially in sub-terrabyte sizes. The only reason I'm using a 2tb drive on mine is because I already had it around. Were i buying a new drive just for the wii U, it would not be bigger than maaaaaybe 1tb and probably more like 500gb.

Oh yeah, I know. The main reason I moved that 500GB one over to the Wii U was because I had just bought a nice 3TB for my PC for about $120.

I'll probably pick up a 1TB for the Wii U in the future, not terribly necessary right now since I don't buy digital unless its VC games but I imagine I'll need it eventually.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Junkie Disease posted:

For those that don't fully understand for 12ish dollars Mario Kart 8 gets 16 more tracks, more music, more characters, and more vehicles.
12 Dollars.
Its pretty dang great

It was a great pick-up at the time, because it got you extra Yoshi and Shy Guy colors.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

greatn posted:

Wait wait wait. Completing the tracks sure. You have to get gold trophies? What the gently caress is this bullshit.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Was about to ask that! Guess i'm gonna be doing vs race for a little while :sigh:
If you can't gold 150cc against the computer you are not ready for 200cc :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even if you can gold 150cc, you might not be ready for 200.

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
What I have learned from the MK8 DLC is that Nintendo is clearly ready to make another F-Zero game. One better be in development :colbert:

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

Even if you can gold 150cc, you might not be ready for 200.

It took me a few hours to get used to 200, and I had everything previously 3-starred. It really is a different way to play.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Junkie Disease posted:

For those that don't fully understand for 12ish dollars Mario Kart 8 gets 16 more tracks, more music, more characters, and more vehicles.
12 Dollars.
Its pretty dang great

You just reminded me that I preordered this DLC back a while ago (I think you got something for free for preordering). How do I "redeem" it now that I preordered it? I know this is a dumb question but I searched my e-mails for a download code or something but I don't see anything. I forgot because it was such a long time ago that I bought it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You just reminded me that I preordered this DLC back a while ago (I think you got something for free for preordering). How do I "redeem" it now that I preordered it? I know this is a dumb question but I searched my e-mails for a download code or something but I don't see anything. I forgot because it was such a long time ago that I bought it.

If you load up the game it should install the new patch, and then once you have the patch it'll tell you the DLC is ready and start downloading that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

elf help book posted:

If you load up the game it should install the new patch, and then once you have the patch it'll tell you the DLC is ready and start downloading that.

This exactly.

I tried to find out how to do it forever last night without actually putting the game in. I had a ballgame on, and didn't want to play yet - I just wanted to get the download/install going.

Finally, I just put the disc in and started the game, then it started the auto-update.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
How is the Metroid Prime trilogy? I only ever played the first one on Gamecube. I was disappointed when I saw there's no Pro controller support. Is the wiimote and nunchuk setup decent?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Smoremaster posted:

How is the Metroid Prime trilogy? I only ever played the first one on Gamecube. I was disappointed when I saw there's no Pro controller support. Is the wiimote and nunchuk setup decent?
loving stellar games. The Wiimote controls are better than the Gamecube controls IMO.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Smoremaster posted:

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 were designed with the Wiimote and nunchuck in mind. Pro controller support would require significant changes to the game to make it work. The general consensus in this thread seems to be that the Metroid Prime trilogy is one of Nintendo's best game series.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Smoremaster posted:

It's awesome and three of the best games of the 2000's. Wiimote aiming works very well though you can tell sometimes the first two games weren't designed with it in mind, but otherwise if you're at all used to aiming with a Wiimote then the games control very smoothly.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 were designed with the Wiimote and nunchuck in mind. Pro controller support would require significant changes to the game to make it work. The general consensus in this thread seems to be that the Metroid Prime trilogy is one of Nintendo's best game series.

How was Prime 2 designed for a controller that didn't exist yet?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jivjov posted:

How was Prime 2 designed for a controller that didn't exist yet?

Lets back up for a moment, was it on the Gamecube? I'm sorry, cause I thought it was on the Wii.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Lets back up for a moment, was it on the Gamecube? I'm sorry, cause I thought it was on the Wii.

Prime 1 and 2 were on GCN, 3 was on Wii, and then trilogy came out for Wii, back porting the pointer controls back to 1 and 2.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

jivjov posted:

Prime 1 and 2 were on GCN, 3 was on Wii, and then trilogy came out for Wii, back porting the pointer controls back to 1 and 2.

That's probably where I got confused.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

Thank you! I already had the update that had the (first) DLC so I didn't even think of that. Kind of weird the game needs a whole update to download new DLC but whatever! Thank you again!

Hopefully this game eventually has every track from every Mario Kart game some day! :retrogames:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I guess just to remind people, there's a Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct in like 30 minutes

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

they are going to announce a variety of Doll amiibos

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Smoremaster posted:

You don't want to play those games with a Pro Controller. The Wii-mote pointer controls are great and feel darn close to FPS-ing it up with a mouse and keyboard.

Oh and the games themselves are just fantastic! Very atmospheric and still look very nice despite how old they are at this point. I've almost finished the third game and I've loved (nearly) ever minute. I've never played Metroid before, either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

I guess just to remind people, there's a Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct in like 30 minutes

http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/04-24-2015/

I missed that this was happening. Thank you for the heads up. Keeping my expectations low though for any english details.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Anime Curator posted:

they are going to announce a variety of Doll amiibos

I am angry at how bad I want this.

Oh god they are probably going to tell us what the Shulk Amiibo will do in this game even though it comes out next week in Japan already.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It starts now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSgf283mmd4

edit: The Trinenn

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you! I already had the update that had the (first) DLC so I didn't even think of that. Kind of weird the game needs a whole update to download new DLC but whatever! Thank you again!

Hopefully this game eventually has every track from every Mario Kart game some day! :retrogames:

The 4.0 patch has more stuff than just the DLC Pack 2 content. There's also 200cc mode, 10 new stamps, and a handful new Mii racing suits. All that stuff is patched in for free.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dolls are now Skells

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That the UI is still not translated makes me think they're targetting holiday and not fall

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Aren't they just reusing the gameplay footage from the JP direct? I feel like that explains that one away.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tatsuta Age posted:

Aren't they just reusing the gameplay footage from the JP direct? I feel like that explains that one away.
No, they're playing live.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

No, they're playing live.

My bad, I stopped watching, I thought they were still replaying the "explaining the world/story" part.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I support flying around and fighting in giant skeletons.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

My bad, I stopped watching, I thought they were still replaying the "explaining the world/story" part.

did you think the direct would only be 3 minutes

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Watching this, it just feels like what a modern Phantasy Star would be like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Anime Curator posted:

did you think the direct would only be 3 minutes

I stopped watching because it just looked like the footage from the JP direct and I had stuff to do.

• Locked thread