Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Durendal posted:

It seems like you are about to take a begging card. Pay 50 Rosengems to get food now!

Doesn't Munchkin have some kind of stat tracker app that comes with in-game advantages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Fat Samurai posted:

Doesn't Munchkin have some kind of stat tracker app that comes with in-game advantages?

The Munchkin level counter app does come with a one-per-game "boon". There's like 20 different possibilities, each as 'wacky' as any other given Munchkin card.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Incidentally, has anyone here PnP'd Rutibex's game? I am also a big fan of Agricola and am wondering how that one is.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Probably another trip to Draughts tomorrow, and may end up a two player fest. I know this is a very broad question but hope to get some ideas.

We would like to try some new stuff as well as old favourites, can anyone recommend any 2 player games likely yo appear at a board game cafe that are not only good, obviously, but can be taught from scratch ourselves or maybe with some help of a youtube video before attending? Games being about an hour long and learning them not being a pain in the arse.

For reference, we will be playing Carcassonne+exps, Suburbia+exp and maybe Memoir 44, if that helps establish skill ability and type of game.

Was thinking maybe Nations and Bruxelles but looking for suggestions!

Oh and I already own Tash Kalar, so not that one!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Palaces of Carrara, which I just got to try, seems extremely tight 2 player and definitely is the right length and can be easily learned, the rulebook is like 5 pages long and has bright pictures.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
So, verdict for iOS Coup:

Don't get it. The model sucks.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Keyflower is loving insane to buy right now, quit running up board game prices goons.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fat Turkey posted:

Probably another trip to Draughts tomorrow, and may end up a two player fest. I know this is a very broad question but hope to get some ideas.

We would like to try some new stuff as well as old favourites, can anyone recommend any 2 player games likely yo appear at a board game cafe that are not only good, obviously, but can be taught from scratch ourselves or maybe with some help of a youtube video before attending? Games being about an hour long and learning them not being a pain in the arse.

For reference, we will be playing Carcassonne+exps, Suburbia+exp and maybe Memoir 44, if that helps establish skill ability and type of game.

How light/heavy you looking at getting? Tash Kalar was going to be my first recommendation.

Patchwork is a good light one, easy to learn and looks pretty. Imagine if you tacked a basic economic engine onto one of those fill-in-the-spaces type puzzle games.
Jaipur is a decent light two player trading/set collection game and has a pretty pink insert, so, uh, that's a plus!
Hive if you don't mind something tactical and chess-like
Summoner Wars: Master Set is pretty easy to teach yourself on the spot and has a lot of variety in the box. It's probably about as deep as you want to get without learning rules in advance.

Of these, only Summoner Wars is on about the same level of depth as the other games you've mentioned though.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 24, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The End posted:

Are you kidding? $8 for each art pack (there are three). $1 for the ability to communicate. $ to remove ads. An energy mechanism that recharges or you can pay to play. It's nickel and done bullshit
The first ones seem fine, basically. You want to just have *the game*? Pay to communicate and remove ads - you're basically paying for the game at that point since the free version is just the demo. But the last one I'm confused about - what exactly does that mean?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Fat Turkey posted:

Caylus, classic worker placement game, is great at 2p and relatively straightforward. First game might be a bit longer while you're working things out, but you can definitely get it down to an hour, hour fifteen.

Coup, fast paced bluffing game with roles, has a really good 2p variant.

Dominion, if you haven't played it already. If they have them, start with the base set and Intrigue. Games typically run 20-30 minutes.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jimbozig posted:

The first ones seem fine, basically. You want to just have *the game*? Pay to communicate and remove ads - you're basically paying for the game at that point since the free version is just the demo. But the last one I'm confused about - what exactly does that mean?

It means you can only play so many games, turns, rounds, or whatever in one day for free (like those awful Candy Crush type iOS games).

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Unfortunately the cafe does not have Palaces, Patchwork or Caylus.

Hive is a good shout, we've played it before but it holds up well and I'd like to play again. He owns Jaipur but doesn't really like it, I think its OK.

Think we're looking for something with a bit more theme though, hence the thought of something like Nations. Er, yo be a bit clearer, where it feels like were actually doing something, not too abstract. I will check out Summoner Wars, but I dont think that magicky type of thing will appeal to my friend.

Its kinda tough though because I know my friend is a bit picky with theme. I've tries trying Castles of Burgundy with him but I know the dull art massively puts him off.

I didn't know you could do 2 player Coup.

Fat Turkey fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 24, 2015

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

It means you can only play so many games, turns, rounds, or whatever in one day for free (like those awful Candy Crush type iOS games).

How much does it cost for unlimited?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Texibus posted:

Keyflower is loving insane to buy right now, quit running up board game prices goons.
Look up what Key Market is selling for and try to tell me that Keyflower has an inflated price.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I wish they'd reprint Key Market. Looks fun.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
OK so WoW TCG is out. Is there a good CCG that is relatively cheap that I can use to get the thrill of opening card packs? Orrrr is there a board game that simulates this? Seriously I hate RNG in games but something about randomly drawing out of packs is so very satisfying.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Do any goons have words to say about Twilight Struggle? I really need to give it a play but haven't been able to yet. Does it warrant being the number one game on Board Game Geek for like 5 consecutive years?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bobvonunheil posted:

Do any goons have words to say about Twilight Struggle? I really need to give it a play but haven't been able to yet. Does it warrant being the number one game on Board Game Geek for like 5 consecutive years?

it's the literal best game ever and I love it to pieces. there's an insanely good VASSAL module (with automatic resolution, even) if you want to try it, but it's so so good

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

bobvonunheil posted:

It's brilliant. A (near) perfect marriage of theme and mechanisms, with a typically excellent GMT rulebook.

EDIT: Regarding iOS Coup - want stat-tracking? That's another paid extra. Nickel and dime bullshit all the way down. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for apps, but to have a complete version of this game, you're looking at something on the order of $30, without completely removing the stupid energy system. I love Coup, but that pricing is delusional.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

OK so WoW TCG is out. Is there a good CCG that is relatively cheap that I can use to get the thrill of opening card packs? Orrrr is there a board game that simulates this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game ?

Also, doing a draft (or cube draft) is both relatively cheap and gets you the thrill of opening card packs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fungah! posted:

it's the literal best game ever and I love it to pieces. there's an insanely good VASSAL module (with automatic resolution, even) if you want to try it, but it's so so good

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GrandpaPants posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/level99games/millennium-blades-the-ccg-simulator-board-game ?

Also, doing a draft (or cube draft) is both relatively cheap and gets you the thrill of opening card packs.

I do have a couple thousand magic cards from between somewhere between Ice Age and when Slivers came out. Not sure what would make a good cube though.

Also I have already backed that game. Hell yea.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

literally all i know about this game is that a friend of a friend liked the idea enough to lay down 750 on being a promo character. well, that's my story

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fungah! posted:

literally all i know about this game is that a friend of a friend liked the idea enough to lay down 750 on being a promo character. well, that's my story

I love Ideas.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

signalnoise posted:

I do have a couple thousand magic cards from between somewhere between Ice Age and when Slivers came out. Not sure what would make a good cube though.

There are probably some websites (cursory googling gives me this: http://www.cubedrafting.com/) that have lists of good cubes, although you may be restricted by card availability. I think the game wasn't as tightly designed back then, and probably less so with an eye towards drafts and other formats. Proxies exist for a reason, though!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, if you want to cube draft from a block: buy full common uncommon sets, print a proxy or 2 of all the rares, make boosters.

I have an innistrad and rise of eldrazi draft cube that are pretty fun to draft from, but need more dedication to learning the format than a normal cube because it's harder to evaluate those cards if you never played the format. Works better as a sealed format if you are playing with people who don't know the format but know magic

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

There's also a thread right [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560252]here[/ur] which is pretty good and has a lot of goon cubes for ideas. Even though it's not super active if you post a question you'll usually get a helpful answer.

Just make sure you know what you want at the outset - your cube might not look anything like anyone else's, but as long as it's :siren: fun :siren: for your group to draft then I'd call that a success.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I love Ideas.

「Same,  friend.」

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Actual Twilight Struggle content: It's a two player card driven game about the US and Russia's competition for global influence. Like most CDGs it has you play a hand of cards which can either be played for generic operations or a specific event. However, playing an opponent's event, even for operations, will cause it to occur anyway- so if the US played Fidel for ops the Russians still take over Cuba. This adds a huge layer of crisis management to the game- each hand requires you to figure out how to downplay your opponents cards while leveraging friendly or neutral cards to your advantage. In general you can discard one card a turn to the Space Race which prevents the event, and hold another card until the next turn. Spacing cards is the easiest way to get rid of them, although one-shot events like Ussuri River Skirmish and Quagmire will come back to haunt you after a reshuffle. TS has two to three reshuffles a game and you go through most of the deck twice which makes discarding an event generally less potent than just playing it when you have the chance. For example, Truman Doctrine wipes out Soviet influence in a contested European country. A Russian player triggering it in the early war makes you lose one or two influence in Finland or Czechlosovakia, no big deal. But if it survives into lategame, the Americans tossing it down after Tear Down This Wall or Solidarity have contested the vital battlegrounds of East Germany and Poland can be brutal. Even a hand that's entirely composed of enemy events can be a blessing in disguise since you'll be able to perfectly time when the events come out as opposed to having your opponent spring Voice Of America on you at just the wrong time. Some 'enemy' events can even be made to help you- Aldritch Ames' discard attack can be nasty, but a US play with only one card in hand results in them knowing exactly which card is lost- typically another Russian event. TS is simple, fast (for a wargame, under two hours), tense as hell, very thematic, and has a lot of depth. I may have a few nitpicks but it's an easy contender for the best game ever made.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

Earth Reborn is the only one I have experience with

*pant*
*pant*
*pant*

Hey guys I heard someone mentioned Earth Reborn and came running :sweatdrop:

On a side note, holy jesus gently caress re-learning Mage Knight & adding Lost Legion after like a year so you only kinda remember most rules enough to not want to baby step through the walkthrough but not enough to not have to constantly look up every little thing. drat, it's the worst way to (re)learn the game. At least the first time around I could just read the text and do what it said without needing to also integrate in the expansion stuff on the fly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

signalnoise posted:

OK so WoW TCG is out. Is there a good CCG that is relatively cheap that I can use to get the thrill of opening card packs? Orrrr is there a board game that simulates this? Seriously I hate RNG in games but something about randomly drawing out of packs is so very satisfying.

Here's a way to get free Hearthstone packs. You also get a free pack for playing the game on your Android or iphone. Other online digital games probably come with free packs as well.

Millenium Blades is an upcoming board game by Level 99 games that will simulate the entire CCG experience. Don't know if it'll come with packs.

I don't know of any way to open physical packs for free.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Thank God euro shipping is prohibitively expensive ($43 for a $50 game, lol) because I'm hyped as poo poo on the idea alone. Even despite anime.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the impression I got. Why did you bring up Archon out of the blue? Is it related in some way? I've never heard of it. I can understand Viticulture having more appeal to an older audience I guess, but that doesn't seem like a reason to pick up a sub-optimal game.

Does anyone have any experience with Pearl Games? I picked up a copy of Troyes in French because it was cheap and there's no in-game text that matters but it'd be nice to get a reference sheet that wasn't in French for my non-French speaking pals. Mostly I'm wondering if there is any chance they'd be able to send me one or if I just have to print off the pdf.

Sounds like you need a trip to boardgamegeek.com where you can get the answers to both of your questions. Here is the page for Archon. And here is the page for Troyes where you can find a file for surely any purpose in Troyes.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Lorini posted:

Sounds like you need a trip to boardgamegeek.com where you can get the answers to both of your questions. Here is the page for Archon. And here is the page for Troyes where you can find a file for surely any purpose in Troyes.

I had just started reading about/looking into Archon cause it sounds interesting.
Watching the Rahdo right now...
:stare: that board.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the impression I got. Why did you bring up Archon out of the blue? Is it related in some way? I've never heard of it. I can understand Viticulture having more appeal to an older audience I guess, but that doesn't seem like a reason to pick up a sub-optimal game.

Does anyone have any experience with Pearl Games? I picked up a copy of Troyes in French because it was cheap and there's no in-game text that matters but it'd be nice to get a reference sheet that wasn't in French for my non-French speaking pals. Mostly I'm wondering if there is any chance they'd be able to send me one or if I just have to print off the pdf.

I wouldn't say Viticulture is at all sub-optimal. It's a really tight game, partially because it is simple. But it's also got some complexities, even moreso when you add in Tuscany (though at that point it's $100 game).

But the theme is really accessible, and I think that adds to the ease of play as well. A person has, on some level, a basic knowledge of how to make wine, and they can somewhat translate that to the game.

Everyone I've played it with, from my wife who hates games (but loves wine) to every level of board gamer from novice to expert (with the exception of one, who just irrationally hates it because math) has loved it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has anyone ever set up a goon cube draft tournament, like through Lackey or Cockatrice or whatever?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

Has anyone ever set up a goon cube draft tournament, like through Lackey or Cockatrice or whatever?

If you are talking about Magic, you probably should look in the Magic threads around here.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

ChiTownEddie posted:

I had just started reading about/looking into Archon cause it sounds interesting.
Watching the Rahdo right now...
:stare: that board.

The board's pretty busy, yeah. Once you get used to where stuff is it's not a huge problem, though.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

StashAugustine posted:

Twilight Struggle :words:

Thanks for this. I'm trying to write a summary for a game I haven't even played yet and still do it justice :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Any opinions on Imperial Settlers from people who have played it more than once at a con on a tired Sunday morning? Are there issues with it that pop up after a few plays?