Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

He had a son who he based android 16 off of so someone had to have liked him for at least 9 months.

Probably the hot lab assistant who's internship at Red Ribbon Inc. rode on being Dr. Gero's occasional booty call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Parrotine posted:

That filler episode was repeated beat-for-beat in a filler episode in GT, only instead of fighting demons it was demons in SPACE :v:

Hahaha, wow. How can GT even have filler?

facebook jihad posted:

There was a point where in my viewing of DB that I just started skipping all the blocks of filler episodes. The anime is actually good if you watch it that way.

While I understand this perspective, I still do get enjoyment out of the filler, even if it obviously isn't as good as the material directly adapted from Toriyama's manga.

Besides, DB is short enough that I can manage through it while still being entertained.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
That episode is better in retrospect when you consider kid Goku nearly bumped into Dabura. It also helps if you remember he's wearing Shu's clothes for that entire arc. Unless that's a different arc. Point is, Goku stole an anthropomorphic dog's clothes until they were reduced to rags over the course of a season. Then on his way to the tournament he killed and skinned a tiger and wore the skin like Tarzan.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rudoku posted:

Toriko 2. Forget about the Troll Doll transformation, and re-kill the IGO President.

I'm one of the few that kinda likes Toriko, so that's nice.

How has Bleach been plodding along? Is there enough now to get the anime going again? Or is it still slow/not worth it?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Bleach quit being worth it the second they set foot in the Soul Society, it just didn't become obvious until later.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is there an audience for those Dragon Ball X One Piece crossovers?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Bleach quit being worth it the second they set foot in the Soul Society, it just didn't become obvious until later.

Meh, I thought it was entertaining through the end of the Soul Society arc. It only really started to slide after that, when Kubo just kept introducing legions of new characters and like a dozen quirky JRPG minibosses the heroes had to get to before they could even get to the ten real bosses on their way to the three actual for realsies final bosses and it became obvious how Ichigo's buddies couldn't win a fight to save their lives while even the most boring Lieutenant who wasn't even important the last time you saw them a hundred chapters ago got like an entire episode of dispatching one of the literal millions of minibosses so that they could look cool without actually doing anything of consequences. And, you know, the way characters would get their poo poo loving wrecked stopped being remotely shocking once it became so obvious that Kubo can't let anyone with anything resembling popularity actually die.

Honestly, I feel like Bleach would have been way way way better if someone forced Kubo to circle like...10, maybe 20 characters and told him "This is your cast. These are the only people who matter at all. Nobody else is allowed to get more than incidental screen time. If you want to introduce somebody new, you have to resolve one of these people's stories first." I liked the action scenes and the general conceit of the Zanpakutos and stuff, but goddamn if there has ever been a worse case of casting bloat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The Soul Society has its moments, but it's also where a lot of Bleach's long-term problems first rear their heads. I know a lot of people have a soft spot for it since it's where Bleach got serious and wasn't yet stupid, but so many of its current issues can be traced back to that arc that I really can't give it a pass.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

The Soul Society has its moments, but it's also where a lot of Bleach's long-term problems first rear their heads. I know a lot of people have a soft spot for it since it's where Bleach got serious and wasn't yet stupid, but so many of its current issues can be traced back to that arc that I really can't give it a pass.

Not to push the derail too long, but which problems are you talking about? I can certainly see how you can trace the casting bloat to there and that's easily Bleach's biggest problem, but I wouldn't say that it was fully formed yet - I don't remember Kubo trying to give all twenty six or whatever Captains and Lieutenants serious amounts of screen time the way he really started doing getting into the Arrancar bits and beyond, plus the sheer number of characters and minibosses and organizations Kubo introduced once the Arrancar and Vizards started floating about make the 13 squads look compact and concise.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 24, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I thought Bleach was a perfect serious until the end of the Soul Society part personally. If they had ended just after saving Rukia, it'd be my favorite show. I mean, there's a ton of loose ends and less good parts even during this part, but it wasn't getting entirely stupid and everyone felt really fleshed out and had their motives for what they were doing.

I also kinda liked the idea of Vizards, but loving hell if that got really boring and felt like it took a generally more boring direction after that. The Arrancar's probably the symptom of why it got awful.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Last night was watching some Kai and finding how much different it feels with all the filler gone when Goku first dies etc. One thing I couldn't help but think was how everyone calls Raditz weak yet he was stronger than anyone else on earth at that time. And of course as time goes on unless you are killed off for all time you can keep training and rise up to absolutely crazy levels of strength. Weren't most of the Z fighters supposedly somewhere near the first form of Frizea by the time the show ended. It's one hell of a jump. And they were considered the weak ones.

It left me wondering, is there anyone who can't really power up like them? If someone keeps training won't they always just get stronger and stronger. Even if they won't match some they will still be stupidly powerful eventually. Yeah I know trying to rationalize the power jumps is a fools attempt but is there someone who couldn't get any stronger no matter how much they tried?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Keltar posted:

Weren't most of the Z fighters supposedly somewhere near the first form of Frizea by the time the show ended.

No, the Z-Fighters were somewhere in the millions by the end of the show, the show just stopped actually recording Power Levels

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

Not to push the derail too long, but which problems are you talking about? I can certainly see how you can trace the casting bloat to there and that's easily Bleach's biggest problem, but I wouldn't say that it was fully formed yet - I don't remember Kubo trying to give all twenty six or whatever Captains and Lieutenants serious amounts of screen time the way he really started doing getting into the Arrancar bits and beyond, plus the sheer number of characters and minibosses and organizations Kubo introduced once the Arrancar and Vizards started floating about make the 13 squads look compact and concise.
Cast bloat was honestly one of the smaller problems with SS, since it was pretty clear Kubo was trying to throw Ichigo and his friends off the deep end. Of course he kept doing it, but it's probably the least of the arc's immediate sins. On a similarly small note, it's also where Kubo started getting lazy with the scenery.

More substantively it's where Aizen shows up, Kubo chokes when it comes to killing anyone not evil, and the series begins its downward spiral into a world where only Ichigo really matters. Aizen I've never liked. Just about the only interesting thing about him is the twist that he's evil. He was a fairly generic nice guy prior to the reveal and the most generic villain once the jig was finally up. He also "Kills" Momo, except she gets better, then defeats Hitsugaya, but doesn't kill him, only to proceed to wreck a bunch of people thereafter and not kill them either because...uh...because. Instead he flies off to create/recruit a bunch of underlings he doesn't need to fight and fail to kill the people he could've killed himself, making them stronger. But that's getting into later arcs.

Ichigo himself is probably the biggest problem with SS (and subsequently much of the rest of Bleach) since he's paradoxically the only party member to get anything done while having none of his accomplishments really mean that much within the context of the plot. The vast majority of the arc's intrigue happens without him, and he only even meets Aizen after the dude's shown his true colors. His only real role was to serve as a distraction allowing Aizen to move more freely (which makes less sense the longer Bleach goes on and the more and more powerful Aizen is implied to have always been). Ichigo doesn't even really succeed at saving Rukia either since she's released as a matter of course once it's revealed it was all a plot which Ichigo played very little part in unraveling. Alternatively, he's the only character who really gets any fights that matter* alongside insane power ups permitting him to simply BE better than his opponents rather than actually besting them. Got a good chuckle out of the Turn Back the Pendulum arc when it was revealed Byakuya's been practicing his swordplay for centuries but with Urahara's help Ichigo eclipses him in an afternoon. Other people fight and get schooled or fight and win but to no ultimate purpose.** Or almost fight, but then don't.

The fights themselves are largely terrible, but that's a larger issue that encompasses most shounen so it's not really fair to pick on Kubo alone.

Fast-forward to the Fake Town arc, you have Aizen effortlessly stomping several top shinigami and most of the vizards. "We need Ichigo!" Shinji cries. Of course we do, because nobody else matters, though they may start mattering after that point since that's where I dropped it.

* ᴵˢʰᶦᵈᵃ'ˢ ᶠᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵈᵒᵉˢᶰ'ᵗ ᵐᵃᵗᵗᵉʳ⋅
** ᴴᶦ ᴵˢʰᶦᵈᵃ⋅

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The fact that Aizen's return in the latest few chapters of Bleach was met with cheers of joy must blow your mind then.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Not really, but then most people I've talked to who like Aizen do so for reasons that have nothing to do with his quality as a character or even an antagonist.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BlitzBlast posted:

The fact that Aizen's return in the latest few chapters of Bleach was met with cheers of joy must blow your mind then.

:psyboom: Was the rest of the story just that bad?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He had a very impressive chair, you see.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

:psyboom: Was the rest of the story just that bad?

The Quincys are ghost nazis that were last put down a thousand years ago. They were created by the son of the Soul King, and for "reasons" said son created the Quincy to be a fodder force for him so he could become powerful enough to destroy the soul king. Everyone loses a fight so Soul Society pulls out Aizen who in a professor X wheel chair did more in 3 chapters than has been done in 3 years of Bleach. The Bach vs Captain Monk fight was good, although we all knew Captain Monk was boned from the start. Also Ichigo is half Quincy half Shinigami Half Human half cat half god half space lizard.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 24, 2015

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Bacontotem posted:

The Quincys are ghost nazis that were last put down a thousand years ago. They were created by the son of the Soul King, and for "reasons" said son created the Quincy to be a fodder force for him so he could become powerful enough to destroy the soul king.

Please stop making me want to read bleach

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Bacontotem posted:

The Quincys are ghost nazis that were last put down a thousand years ago. They were created by the son of the Soul King, and for "reasons" said son created the Quincy to be a fodder force for him so he could become powerful enough to destroy the soul king.
Also, Ichigo is "Everything."

Part-shinigami, part-hollow, part-quincy; everything.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

reply is not edit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aizen is the loving worst but someone else was in the final boss seat, so Aizen would at least not be in that role and with any luck his appearance would cause things to actually progress. Turns out he does nothing and the plot goes on as if he didn't show back up at all, so Kubo sure showed me I guess. His appearance was still lauded because he was smug about things, but it sadly was no substitute for plot progression.

Edit: Real reason people accepted Aizen coming back is because there was a period of what must have been almost a year of Ichigo coming down from the sky to save the day, and then as soon as he got down he failed to accomplish anything and had to go back up which led to like 15 chapters of Ichigo and co standing in a cannon waiting to be shot into the sky. After he got there he accomplished nothing and got thrown back down leading to about 10 chapters of everybody else getting ready to be shot into the sky for backup (some of these happened concurrently with Ichigo failing to accomplish things, to be fair) with like 5 consecutive chapters of "finally, now we can go to the sky" And that finally finished with this week's chapter which then focused on Ichigo's attempts to get back to the sky which will likely take at the very least 5 more chapters of nothing. So anything new happening was greatly appreciated.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 24, 2015

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'd say one of the worst things about Ichigo is that he has one of, if not the single most boring fighting style of anyone in the show, and indeed is one of the most boring Shonen protagonists I can think of in regards to fighting style(pre Shippuden Naruto and indeed the rest of Team 7 for that matter are also really boring Shonen protagonists when it comes to fighting styles)

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

There was a point where in my viewing of DB that I just started skipping all the blocks of filler episodes. The anime is actually good if you watch it that way.

I actually liked Colonel Silver's filler arc more than many canonical parts.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Petiso posted:

I actually liked Colonel Silver's filler arc more than many canonical parts.

Yep, I liked it too. It showed a different threat from what we'd seen before.

One thing I like about the Red Ribbon army story is how it shows all these animals working alongside humans. It also shows that Dragonball world is so sparsely populated that it has a sort of Wild West feel to it. The whole story does a lot of great world building. I like Goku's 1st Tenkaichi Budokai for this reason as well. The Crane school vs Turtle School tournament arc didn't do much for me because it didn't shown us a new side of the world and it didn't show us a new side of Goku.

Now the King Piccolo story, that shows us a new side of Goku!

Now I'm hungry. I'll have a steak and a side of Goku?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So Multiverse is taking Zen Buu's character in an interesting direction. Looks like they're building him into the sort of "Not actively malevolent, but too powerful and self absorbed to be benevolent" force-of-nature type of character.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, Battle of Gods was really fun. Good dub work, too. Probably helped that I'd been warned early on that the new movies are more about the comedy and cast interplay than the action, though - I can see why a few folks might have been grumpy about not getting all the sweaty man-punching they wanted, even if seeing a proper Dragonball fight with modern animation technology and sprightly movie pacing was still quite a treat.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Ruggington posted:

Please stop making me want to read bleach

Dont.

Please dont.

Its just so bad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KoB posted:

Dont.

Please dont.

Its just so bad.

Seriously, reading Bleach is a waste of your valuable time even by manga standards.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
EDIT: Let me rephrase that.

Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece are the students of Dragon Ball, and Bleach is the failure that is never going to graduate and is one day going to get expelled.

I'm not good with analogies.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 24, 2015

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One Piece is Goku, Bleach is Yamucha.

Naruto is, I dunno, Tien or something.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If One Piece and Naruto are Ryu and Ken, then Bleach is Dan Hibiki.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, Battle of Gods was really fun. Good dub work, too. Probably helped that I'd been warned early on that the new movies are more about the comedy and cast interplay than the action, though - I can see why a few folks might have been grumpy about not getting all the sweaty man-punching they wanted, even if seeing a proper Dragonball fight with modern animation technology and sprightly movie pacing was still quite a treat.

My impressions from reading are that the new Resurrection of F movie is a lot more punchymans than Battle of Gods. I rather liked the new take that BoG had, but I want to definitely see the new movie.

As for figures, it seems they announced a Golden Freiza and SSGSS Goku from Figuarts, and people are already taking preorders on eBay for a huge markup. One seller saying "This won't be on Amazon" to try and push theirs. It can also be found on BBToys for a bit above retail pre-order too, but less than eBay.

As an aside, it looks like my best bet to collect some of the figures I missed will be an eBay lot, instead of buying them individually. Just seems like you can get a ton more bang for the buck.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I realized that something I posted earlier may not have been clear, so I'll rephrase. I also want to revisit it because I was looking through translated Toriyama interviews on Kanzenshuu, and I found some good stuff from the man himself on panel size and his design principles.

The reason you can have the sensation of time continuing to march on in one section of a panel while you sweep your eyes to the other side as in my comment on this panel:

is because you're reading the whole comic from a "zoomed out" point of view. (That's why I was talking about what it's like to wear shutter shades to a concert.) When you see a film, that one moment fills nearly your entire field of view (particularly if you are in a cinema.) You have no choice but to focus on the entire frame. When you read a comic, each panel is “zoomed out” because unless you are terribly far-sighted or terribly near-sighted, you're probably reading with the comic book between one and two forearm's lengths away from your face. Because each panel is comparatively “far away” you can focus on individual components much better than you can in a single frame in a movie.

Anyway, Toriyama here mentions here the importance of panel sizing.

Akira Toriyama posted:

With comics, there’s the aspect of how you’re actually looking at an entire spread of two pages. You’re aware of how, “this panel is bigger than this one, so it’s a more powerful scene”. So, if [digital comics] all come out with the same size panels, it might feel a bit “off”.

Kanzenshuu includes this footnote:

Kanzenshuu posted:

Toriyama’s comment pretty aptly describes the problem with modern “keitai manga“, comics formatted to fit the screen of a mobile phone.

And some more interesting comments by Toriyama on his design philosophy and background in advertising:

quote:

Wired: In drawing comics, what is your ratio of visual information to textual information?

Toriyama: Really, as far as information is concerned, the visual side is bigger.

Wired: With what stance do you view words?

Toriyama: At any rate, I don’t waste much time blathering on about useless things. As a rule, you can understand the content to a certain extent with just the pictures, and words are nothing more than a supplement to them. I had that drilled into me by my first editor, I guess you could say…. If you’re going to come out and say something, then make it something that will strengthen the characterization even further, is what I mean.

Wired: You have to choose carefully.

Toriyama: Yes, that’s right. Instead of blathering on and on, how are you going to keep it concise? 

Wired: Toriyama-san, whether it be Dragon Ball or Dr. Slump, I think your works have a large number of really “stand-out” characters that are able to coexist.

Toriyama: That might be something that was fostered in me through doing advertising design. I think that the very fact that I had to draw all these different things for supermarkets and big retailers, looking back on it now, came in handy.

Wired: Without realizing it, you were learning the basics….

Toriyama: Right. Also, keeping a deadline was also something that was fostered in me at that company. (laughs)

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/wired-japan-1997-akira-toriyama-interview/

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 24, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Bleach is so bad that I kind of like Naruto in hindsight just for not being loving Bleach.

e: also, comics formatted to fit mobile screens are terrible, Comixology has the right idea- reading a comic in smart view on there is remarkably similar to that gif you posted.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Bleach is so bad that I kind of like Naruto in hindsight just for not being loving Bleach.

e: also, comics formatted to fit mobile screens are terrible, Comixology has the right idea- reading a comic in smart view on there is remarkably similar to that gif you posted.

Oh yeah? I'll have to check them out, I am totally unfamiliar with digital comics because like a decade ago they were really really bad.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Xibanya posted:

Oh yeah? I'll have to check them out, I am totally unfamiliar with digital comics because like a decade ago they were really really bad.

The big examples I can think of that have a starkly different design than print comics (ie not stuff like Onepunch-Man which is just a comic but online with occasional spreads and such) are korean Manwha like Tower of God, which are explicatly formatted for mobiles, being like a long roll of pages rather than a book. Or like, Homestuck and such but that has actual animation and such to map out the passage of time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I've never read Homestuck but I sure have heard a lot about it and recognize the zodiac critters as coming from it. I might look at Homestuck "for research purposes only"...but I won't read fuckin' Bleach. I have seen the long roll of paper thing done really well by the likes of SMBC though. I do think that's a good use of the medium.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Xibanya posted:

I might look at Homestuck "for research purposes only"

What have I done :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Bleach isn't really that much of a time waste if you've been reading for years. There's so little dialogue and such huge, basic panels that you don't even spend five minutes a week.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So Multiverse is taking Zen Buu's character in an interesting direction. Looks like they're building him into the sort of "Not actively malevolent, but too powerful and self absorbed to be benevolent" force-of-nature type of character.

Yeah, it's neat. Goku seems like the dominant personality, but since it's still Buu his perspective is all off.

• Locked thread