Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Exercising your way out of being fat might work when you're younger, but as you get older you really need to clean up your diet if you want to get lean. Eating clean is a better idea in general than trying to 'out-exercise' a bad diet. Also, as someone pointed out, it's much more economical in terms of time to just eat oatmeal with fruit than try to go to the gym and do enough work to undo the intake of 3 pancakes. Still, 30 lbs since December? Thats an impressive amount of weight loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I seem to recall a story from his autobiography about how his speech was a long, rambling mess and it was widely predicted that it'd be the end of him in politics.
This. It was painful, clocked in at over 40ms and his biggest applause line was 'in conclusion.' It was already late at night and people were waiting for the announcement/introduction iirc so it was doubly bad in that it sucked all the air out of the room. After that speech he was like the Aqua Buddha or Bobby Jindal of the Democratic Party for awhile. He earned the moniker Comeback Kid several times over since then.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So POLITICO is saying that Jeb Bush's biggest weakness in the GOP primary is his support of Common Core.

Fill me in here - what exactly is Common Core, and why does the Republican base hate it so much?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo posted:

Fill me in here - what exactly is Common Core, and why does the Republican base hate it so much?

It is a set of standards for broad curricular goals developed by a group of states.

The Republican base hates it because it's a plot by the Obama administration to turn your kids gay using Agenda 21.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

It's a term that idiots have twisted into "way of doing things that is different than what was I was taught 30 years ago, therefore bad."

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also much like Obamacare and the sorry state of US healthcare, It (and by proxy, Obama and the current Democrat party) is blamed for every single thing wrong with the US Education system.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DaveWoo posted:

So POLITICO is saying that Jeb Bush's biggest weakness in the GOP primary is his support of Common Core.

Because instead of beating kids over the head with multiplication tables they teach kids how to multiply numbers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Because instead of beating kids over the head with multiplication tables they teach kids how to multiply numbers.

Here is the only argument somebody could manage when I asked what was bad about it:

Uniform testing and all that poo poo would be a good idea if it's a system that isn't designed by retards

Common core was designed by retards

It is a waste of time and state resources

Our children end up retarded

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Nonsense posted:

Here is the only argument somebody could manage when I asked what was bad about it:

Uniform testing and all that poo poo would be a good idea if it's a system that isn't designed by retards

Common core was designed by retards

It is a waste of time and state resources

Our children end up retarded

In itself, it's a good idea, but the implementation can go off the rails. Districts that test their kids too much aren't really accomplishing anything.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Spun Dog posted:

In itself, it's a good idea, but the implementation can go off the rails. Districts that test their kids too much aren't really accomplishing anything.

And this is relevant, of course, because obviously overtesting is a completely new problem that only common core has.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

DaveWoo posted:

How Bill Gates pulled off the swift Common Core revolution

Common Core is really the final step in the defunding of education. 50 years ago, states paid 70% of the cost of public schooling. Then, states started getting run into the ground by "small government people", and an increasing amount devolved onto counties and districts to keep their schools running. This also has de facto resegregated schools. Because of a bunch of loving around, with NCLB as a real landmark, the federal government had to step in to supplement the ever-decreasing funds of school districts. (As an aside, much of the "poverty" of school districts is actually due to administrative bloat and terrible mismanagement.) Well, now private industry is the one holding out the carrots through state-level proxies.

Really, this is another example of Republicans hating a thing when a Democrat does it. Common Core is a regressive educational policy, if I can borrow that term's meaning in the context of taxation; it requires standardized testing for every single class in a public school, even the arts, and ramps the difficulty up even more than NCLB did. So, in effect, rewards from Common Core go to the schools which are already succeeding because of SES and high levels of parental educational achievement, and poor, rural, and urban schools are basically hosed because they're already light-years behind what's being tested.

Moreover, a lot of the implementation of CC is tied to "school choice", meaning that in some states, the end result is an open door to privatizing public schools.

So, again, Republicans should loving LOVE Common Core. It aids the wealthy and successful while hurting the poor, further defunds education and injects SHITLOADS of corporate contracting for people like Pearson who write the tests, and is a cutting edge for finally killing American public education. In truth, the people doing the most protesting that I've seen are liberal.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Alter Ego posted:

As stupid as the idea sounds, the fact that Jeb Bush is dieting so rigidly could actually hurt him in the primaries. Part of bonding with voters is eating whatever horrible local food they put in front of you (see: Fred Thompson eating moose chili).

Hey now, in no way can moose chili be described as "horrible."

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Exercising your way out of being fat might work when you're younger, but as you get older you really need to clean up your diet if you want to get lean. Eating clean is a better idea in general than trying to 'out-exercise' a bad diet. Also, as someone pointed out, it's much more economical in terms of time to just eat oatmeal with fruit than try to go to the gym and do enough work to undo the intake of 3 pancakes. Still, 30 lbs since December? Thats an impressive amount of weight loss.

Isn't oatmeal just empty carbs, not dissimilar to pancakes? Even the sugar content is he same if you eat one of those quaker oats instant packets.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Wanamingo posted:

And this is relevant, of course, because obviously overtesting is a completely new problem that only common core has.

Never said it was, but I have seen more than a few instances of it happening with the SBAC rollouts. As far as I can tell some places are more worried about testing their students than instructing them. This mainly applies to the administration and not the teachers themselves.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Thank you for the brief overview of Common Core and why it is a Bad Thing.

Turn your signature off.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Wheeee posted:

Thank you for the brief overview of Common Core and why it is a Bad Thing.

Turn your signature off.

You can turn all signatures off, which you should do, in the user control panel.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Isn't oatmeal just empty carbs, not dissimilar to pancakes? Even the sugar content is he same if you eat one of those quaker oats instant packets.

Oatmeal has lots of insoluble fiber, which is quite healthy and helps with metabolism and could contribute to weight loss. It also helps with the feeling of being full and discourages snacking. The instant oatmeal packets are terrible of course, but a bowl of steel cut oats is in a different league altogether than loving pancakes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Dog the Bounty Hunter makes an ex-MTV VJ cry by endorsing Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWmQ6TLBgA

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Jeb Bush, starved, will devour Chris Christie live on stage during a debate.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

A Bag of Milk posted:

Oatmeal has lots of insoluble fiber, which is quite healthy and helps with metabolism and could contribute to weight loss. It also helps with the feeling of being full and discourages snacking. The instant oatmeal packets are terrible of course, but a bowl of steel cut oats is in a different league altogether than loving pancakes.

This. Oatmeal undoubtedly has a lot of carbohydrates (27g per serving), but a pancake is almost straight sugar. There's a huge difference.

To get gut chat back on track, Is Chris Christie gonna try to lose weight again? Last I heard he'd had lap band surgery and lost some weight, but every public appearance since then it doesn't seem terribly significant to me.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

He's lost somewhere around 50-70 lbs.

It's just that he started at like 350+ so he's still pretty fat, like around 300.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Campaigning is grueling and busy as hell. I think Mitt was the last one to keep up his exercise schedule the whole time.

Having notifications enabled in the HUD of MittOS probably helps.

-TIME FOR YOUR RUN

-TIME TO HUG ANN

-COOKIES IDENTIFIED: PREPARE LIGHTHEARTED INSULT TOWARDS HOST

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They should just keep all of it in their mouths, and then at the end of the photo op just spit out all the bites taken.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

There's also the White House Correspondents' Dinner tomorrow.

Speaking of which, do we normally have a separate thread for that, or are we allowed to do TV IV-style posting in these threads?

Separate thread from going of previous years. I look forward to this and the Values Summit with the glee and anticipation normal people view traditional holidays.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011

Joementum posted:

In which Dog the Bounty Hunter makes an ex-MTV VJ cry by endorsing Hillary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWmQ6TLBgA

Am I weird for generally liking that guy?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

He said wetback once, and he was imprisoned by Mexico for violating its laws. Then again Mexico only gives a poo poo about its citizens who are rapists and child murderers.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

mastervj posted:

Am I weird for generally liking that guy?

Careful, if two more people admit to sorta kinda liking him he'll form an exploratory committee and probably win the Republican nomination.

Edit: Dog/Jindal ticket. :getin:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

VanSandman posted:

Jeb Bush, starved, will devour Chris Christie live on stage during a debate.

It would probably improve democracy if every candidate were required to go on The Ultimate Diet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

messagemode1 posted:

He's lost somewhere around 50-70 lbs.

It's just that he started at like 350+ so he's still pretty fat, like around 300.

The after photo here was a year and a half after getting the surgery.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidam Viator posted:

How Bill Gates pulled off the swift Common Core revolution

Common Core is really the final step in the defunding of education.

Remind me again, what state are you in?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

A Bag of Milk posted:

And they're way more flavorful than regular rolled oats too, so you can get away with using just a tiny amount of brown sugar or whatever you use to sweeten it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

radical meme posted:

Remind me again, what state are you in?

He's in Florida, if I recall correctly? Which would make you wonder why he's still a true believer in accelerationism, since Rick Scott has hosed poo poo up pretty badly and he's still in office.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

He's in Florida, if I recall correctly? Which would make you wonder why he's still a true believer in accelerationism, since Rick Scott has hosed poo poo up pretty badly and he's still in office.

Don't worry, I'm sure once Miami vanishes beneath the waves Florida will rise up and institute full communism.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Big news for the inhabitants of Bizarro Earth.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Oh email inbox! You're so silly.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure once Miami vanishes beneath the waves Florida will rise up and institute full communism.

No, see, if you vote Republican, dismantle every entitlement program, grant conservatives monopolies on every avenue of power, and let them pass whatever laws they want, then you're absolutely certain to end up with real communism!

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

TheBalor posted:

No, see, if you vote Republican, dismantle every entitlement program, grant conservatives monopolies on every avenue of power, and let them pass whatever laws they want, then you're absolutely certain to end up with real communism!

To tie it back to common core

QV's accelerationist beliefs are:

A. SMART

B. DUMB AS HELL

C. GEORGE WASHINGTON

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zelder posted:

To tie it back to common core

QV's accelerationist beliefs are:

A. SMART

B. DUMB AS HELL

C. GEORGE WASHINGTON

D. BASED ON AN IRRATIONAL BELIEF THAT LATIN SHOULD BE TAUGHT IN HIGH SCHOOL

FTFY

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

TheBalor posted:

Yep, it's worked like a charm for Syria and Somalia. I mean, there's the whole "burning, war-torn hellhole" phase you have to go through, but I'm sure they'll get full communism eventually.

Somalia's gotta be close, they've been in the "burning, war-torn hellhole" phase since 1991, that's 24 whole years of experiencing abject misery. Any day now the people of Somalia are gonna rise up and get full communism. Any day now.

Jesus loving Christ, Somalia has been a burning, war-torn hellhole for literally my entire life; that is horrifying to realize.:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I actually believe that Latin or a romance language should be a required course in High School. So I think that's one of his less controversial stands but I appreciate his posting.

• Locked thread