Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Kajeesus posted:

Ted Rall makes poo poo cartoons about drones because that's the only kind of cartoon he's able to produce, but he's absolutely not wrong about drones. Anyone involved with the US drone program in the Middle East should be tried in the Hague, and this thread's attitude on the subject kind of baffles me. Are drones really okay just because Ted Rall is incapable of competently making a point?

The Iron Rose once wrote a huge effort post on how drones and our drone policy are actually cool and good, you guys just don't understand the reality of the situation.
I think it's mostly just kneejerk Ralliosis with the rest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spoiler: nobody actually gives a gently caress about the Koch brothers, but people do care about rape being used as a prop to score cheap burns on people entirely unrelated to the subject.

Also Bagley is still cool he just made a bad cartoon. I hope this post has been informative.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I think it's a good cartoon, in that it's shocking, to the point, clear in message, great composition etc. Whether it's too shocking and inappropriate for the importance of its topic is another matter and one which depends on your political feelings. I don't know what Koch bros have done recently that would merit such a harsh and insensitive treatment. But objectively the frat rape cartoon is better than the flag cartoon which is lame both visually and humouristically.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Horsey's "A Thing Happened"?

There's AGC in there somewhere but I can't find the right phrase for it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I kinda like the cartoon. CU being a spiked drink is a pretty good metaphor since it's got that whole "name that implies collective individual people but is actually about corporations and incredibly rich fucks" thing going on.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

I think it's a good cartoon, in that it's shocking, to the point, clear in message, great composition etc. Whether it's too shocking and inappropriate for the importance of its topic is another matter and one which depends on your political feelings. I don't know what Koch bros have done recently that would merit such a harsh and insensitive treatment. But objectively the frat rape cartoon is better than the flag cartoon which is lame both visually and humouristically.

Isn't Scott Walker gearing up for a presidential race? He's their creature so that might be what's bring them up in Bagley's mind.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rorus Raz posted:

Spoiler: nobody actually gives a gently caress about the Koch brothers, but people do care about rape being used as a prop to score cheap burns on people entirely unrelated to the subject.

Also Bagley is still cool he just made a bad cartoon. I hope this post has been informative.
Rape as metaphor is just not a great idea in any way.

That cartoon posted earlier with the dad scorning the Rolling Stone story was better in this regard; his daughter wasn't meant to represent anything other than the victims of sexual assault.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
GIven the Koch Bros' :ancap: libertarian views why would you trust any food or drug product they offer at their frat parties?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

TheDarkFlame posted:

Is that even close to being a thing that has been said? I guess I know the answer already (Clinton never said "bibmo"), but it's worth asking in case Skelley isn't just making up whole-cloth reasons to complain about someone.

Sure. Rand Paul has been doing that a lot recently.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kegluneq posted:

Rape as metaphor is just not a great idea in any way.

That cartoon posted earlier with the dad scorning the Rolling Stone story was better in this regard; his daughter wasn't meant to represent anything other than the victims of sexual assault.

This.

Goddamn that Rolling Stone cartoon hit hard. I randomly thought about it today and it made me sad.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore: Year One (August 1-6, 1994)

To anyone old enough to remember 1994, was it really hard to find conservative journalists on TV back then?

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's true, this apology was almost as infuriating for me to listen to as his legalistic arguments years ago about the drone strike program in general. I really, really don't want to hear about how blowing people up is ok because they've extensively investigated the laws on the subject.
Glad to know I wasn't alone in nearly having a stroke listening to Democracy Now! today.

beepsandboops posted:

New Sutton:

Tempted to replace (Modern Day Madman) sign with ANGRY WHITEY
Ah yes, those cartons of e-cigarettes we're all so familiar with :confused:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Mallard Fillmore: Year One (August 1-6, 1994)

To anyone old enough to remember 1994, was it really hard to find conservative journalists on TV back then?

"Old enough to remember 1994?" I was in college in 1994... :negative:

But no it wasn't hard at all. The "both sides must be represented even if one is batshit insane" was in pretty full swing even before then. Fear of being tarred as "liberal media" started becoming a thing around the 1988 elections if my memory serves me correctly. That was around the time "liberal" became an epithet too I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Get off the Internet, old man!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Genpei Turtle posted:

But no it wasn't hard at all. The "both sides must be represented even if one is batshit insane" was in pretty full swing even before then. Fear of being tarred as "liberal media" started becoming a thing around the 1988 elections if my memory serves me correctly. That was around the time "liberal" became an epithet too I think.

Holy poo poo, you have a high-pitched voice for someone in their 40's.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Note Tinsley's Rush Limbaugh reference. Limbaugh's generally credited with being the first commentator to heavily push the "liberal media" idea. It was one of his big branding successes - he was selling himself as the Conservative Alternative, and the narrative stuck.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Small Frozen Thing posted:

You've spent too long in this thread if you think that's a bad cartoon.
Or you're Iron Rose.

For your sake, I hope it's not the latter.

I feel weirdly flattered.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Holy poo poo, you have a high-pitched voice for someone in their 40's.

Uh...what? My voice is nasal but not particularly high pitched, at least not any more. Are you confusing me with someone else?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Jesus Christ, Rush Limbaugh signed a contract in 2008 that pays him $400 million through 2016. Glad to know drinky duck looks up to him.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Sorry, you did the Metal Wolf Chaos LP, right? I hope I'm not confusing you for someone else.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Sorry, you did the Metal Wolf Chaos LP, right? I hope I'm not confusing you for someone else.

That was 8 years ago. I was in my early 30s then.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Your voice broke in your mid 30s?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rorus Raz posted:

"Nobody cares about Koch brothers"
lol

Please stop using strong metaphors in satire, think about the feelings of mothers when you write about eating irish babies, pls, also respect my pronouns.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Come now, you have to admit that it's kinda tasteless. As someone else said, if it was a conservative drawing Obama date-raping Liberty you'd be incensed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I would be mildly amused by the absurdity of the metaphor, as I was when cartoonists actually used that metaphor. Cartoons depicting murder don't even raise an eyebrow, I don't see why this should be different.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Well one side is full of lies and the other is the truth so they are different

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How often does murder crop up in political cartoons? Legitimate question.

Also, rape is seen as more serious and more sensitive than murder, this shouldn't be news to you.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

"Nobody cares about Koch brothers"
lol

Please stop using strong metaphors in satire, think about the feelings of mothers when you write about eating irish babies, pls, also respect my pronouns.

People give a gently caress about money in politics. The Koch Brothers are merely a particularly visible pustule on that mass of horror.

Also, 'lady liberty being raped by modern bad guy du jour' is not a loving strong metaphor, it's a weak cliche.

Finally, go gently caress yourself if you think that everyone who disagrees with your taste in rape-based humour is trans*.

steinrokkan posted:

I would be mildly amused by the absurdity of the metaphor, as I was when cartoonists actually used that metaphor. Cartoons depicting murder don't even raise an eyebrow, I don't see why this should be different.

You will never be able to make a murder victim re-live the worst moments of their lives with a casual joke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

Finally, go gently caress yourself if you think that everyone who disagrees with your taste in rape-based humour is trans*.

what

Somfin posted:

You will never be able to make a murder victim re-live the worst moments of their lives with a casual joke.

Victims of various violent crimes don't have loved ones, good to know.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A "respect my pronouns" joke straight out of loving nowhere from a dude confusing edge with satire, what a loving shocker.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jay Rust posted:

How often does murder crop up in political cartoons? Legitimate question.

Also, rape is seen as more serious and more sensitive than murder, this shouldn't be news to you.

Murder comes up, strangely enough, when discussing actual murders that happened. Murder in forms that happen every day doesn't generally get used for discussion of things other than those particular murders. Using murder as a clumsy allegory for things that aren't actually murder tends toward cartoonish extremes, like say eating infants for nourishment.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
He is Eastern European, it's not like having regressive attitudes towards sexual minorities is exactly a shocker.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Someone said "Do people really care about the Koch brothers' feelings?" to which I said no, but whatever misrepresentation helps your weird crusade.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rorus Raz posted:

Someone said "Do people really care about the Koch brothers' feelings?" to which I said no, but whatever misrepresentation helps your weird crusade.

Yeah, it's people give a gently caress, but in the gently caress those guys sense not the poor ickle Koch feelings sense, right?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Victims of various violent crimes don't have loved ones, good to know.

You will never tell a joke involving murder to the direct victim of murder.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Phi Lambda Male

"Florida Man"?

Jedit posted:

Is there something special about Phi Lambda that I'm missing? I would have used Sigma Alpha Male.

God dammit, it was supposed to be "phi alpha male." :argh:

I knew I would screw that up, and I got it wrong even after researching/double-checking the letters! (I assumed incorrectly that Greek-Alpha wouldn't look identical to English-A, and that mixed me up).

It's a mistake, and I'm gonna have to fix it digitally, which I hate doing. At least the shape of each character is similar enough that it'll be fairly easy to alter.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

He is Eastern European, it's not like having regressive attitudes towards sexual minorities is exactly a shocker.

Racism is progressive, on the other hand.

That pronouns joke had nothing to do with trans people or whatever, it was a jab towards tumblr-likes, the alternative didn't even cross my mind, mr. racist shithead.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Where the hell is this sudden racism coming from? wtf

• Locked thread