Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

I expected the Flash thread to be wall to wall bitching after reading this thread, and it wasn't bad at all. A few people voiced actual complaints about the quality of the last few episodes. I really like the Flash, but I'd be lying if I said the show didn't have a lot of little problems that bring it down for me overall.

Yeah honestly the argument for the last page of this thread was worse than the TVIV version of the same dumb fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

And bro if you don't a care about other people's opinions about poo poo why read TV forums at all?

I didn't say I didn't care about reading people's opinions. I said I don't care if people disagree with me or not regarding the direction of the show. It's their prerogative to think what they want. I'm not trying to change anyone's minds. If they don't like it I'm not bothered by them not liking it. All you can do is explain to people why you think they're wrong or right and that's about it. I'm more interested in discussion of the actual content for most shows anyway than gauging whether more people liked it or not.

Yesterday in some thread a guy was talking about how he didn't like Foggy on Daredevil. I told him I disagreed and I thought he was wrong because Foggy was awesome. I've seen a few people say that about the character. But I don't feel the need to go into the Daredevil thread and say "Man what is with all these people thinking Foggy is the worst character ever?" because that's not what's happening.

Nobody is saying Flash is a bad show or that Flash is the worst show ever. I'm sure you can find a couple of people that posted something dumb and hyperbolic in the thread but that's not the majority at all. Most of the ones saying there's problems are just not happy with a few mistakes the show's made recently and have found parts of recent episodes to be underwhelming. And most of them are just hoping it kicks those bad habits in the future. If you take the word of a handful of hyperbolic posters and in turn try to address that instead of the real criticisms it doesn't really help anyone.

And yes Arrow is worse for that but the majority of those people that in that thread saying that stuff are probably just comparing it to Flash and the constant stream of "cool" moments in that show and are finding Arrow to be lacking the same thing. Arrow is no longer the cool new shiny toy and it gets treated harsher for that reason. Is it fair? No. But it didn't help that the first half of the season was pretty weak especially in comparison to what was going on in Flash.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Remember when shows would hit their stride around season 3? Nowadays we day the same thing about episode 3. Get off my lawn.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
This season of Arrow really hasn't been helped by its completely underwhelming flashbacks, complete with horrible kid actor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Grem posted:

Remember when shows would hit their stride around season 3? Nowadays we day the same thing about episode 3. Get off my lawn.

Yeah, I'm not in a big rush to cast judgment on Iris considering it took until season 3 for Laurel to become a good character. Last night's episode seemed like its working toward something with Iris seeing as they had her independently figure out it wasn't Eddie.

Probably the biggest problem they have with Iris is that everyone else is too competent, so she doesn't really have anything that they need for her to do.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Grem posted:

I think the problem with that line of thinking in some cases is there is certainly a sense that some of these series are much more limited in nature. So if Agent Carter was marketed as a limited series, and it was, it just doesn't have time for 2 of the eight or so episodes to suck before it gets good. It just needs to be good. Period.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ToastyPotato posted:

This season of Arrow really hasn't been helped by its completely underwhelming flashbacks, complete with horrible kid actor.

Where are we going? Who are they? Where's my mom?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, while other episodes have hinted about it, tonight's flat out stated that the kid doesn't survive flashback times.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Well, while other episodes have hinted about it, tonight's flat out stated that the kid doesn't survive flashback times.

I almost clapped when he said that line. Then I imagined his death scene being so bad, that they cut it and had him just explain it instead.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think after tonight the B-plot of Arrow season 4 is the birth of Connor Hawke.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I think after tonight the B-plot of Arrow season 4 is the birth of Connor Hawke.

He already has a kid though, doesn't he? I thought his name was even Connor?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

Arrows problem is it's pacing. The story leaps forward over the course of a single episode, then the tires start spinning in the mud for another five episodes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Yeah. It kind of has to do with the nature of the two big arcs we've had so far. Who killed Sarah, and the League Ultimatum. With the death of Sarah, a murder mystery should have been able to carry half of a season, but they really waffled on it, mostly because, as has become apparent, they seemed to have killed her for no real reason? Malcolm drugs his daughter to get the League to go after Ollie, except that doesn't really happen anyway. So they basically made the first half of the season a set up to get Ollie in the position with Ras that he is now, for the second half. But the problem with THAT is that its a pretty simple ultimatum. The League will tear his life and city apart if he disobeys. A very clear warning. So he disobeys and then they do exactly what they said they would do and now he joins the League. Even more hilarious is that Ras is shown to be pretty goddamned merciful which means Ollie trying to take the blame for Sarah's death was pointless and actually caused way more problems in the long run.

I think there were better ways to put Ollie at odds with Ras, that could have still resulted in Sarah dying, without the weird BS with Malcolm and Thea that the continues to try to sweep under the rug.

I am still enjoying the show, but this season has been kind of a mess.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

He already has a kid though, doesn't he? I thought his name was even Connor?

Oh yeaaahhh, I forgot about that. I was just trying to make a joke about the sex scene. Oh, and I checked just out of curiosity, Oliver's kid's name is still unknown.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I'm rewatching Daredevil because it's just that awesome but there's one question that's nagged me from the first watch that's carrying over to every other watching.

What the gently caress is up with Ben's wife? Obviously she's sick but do they ever say what she has? This seriously has bugged me about the whole thing, like they're supposed to be able to just be like "she is sick and you should care but we're not gonna tell you what she has to make it easier to empathize." Like I can glean she had some military job from the single cryptic mention he makes to previous stories he's done but everything about her is just never fleshed out in the least (unless I seriously missed something).

For a show that explains so much, this just seems like an oversight.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I assume it was supposed to be Alzheimer's, seeing as she had memory issues in his one conversation with her, as well as the similar issue's Wilson's mom had.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She's got the Peggy Carters.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

RevKrule posted:

I'm rewatching Daredevil because it's just that awesome but there's one question that's nagged me from the first watch that's carrying over to every other watching.

What the gently caress is up with Ben's wife? Obviously she's sick but do they ever say what she has? This seriously has bugged me about the whole thing, like they're supposed to be able to just be like "she is sick and you should care but we're not gonna tell you what she has to make it easier to empathize." Like I can glean she had some military job from the single cryptic mention he makes to previous stories he's done but everything about her is just never fleshed out in the least (unless I seriously missed something).

Why does it need to explain exactly what she has? Or why does it matter?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Basically once a woman survives past child bearing age in the MCU she becomes a rambling shell of a person, confused about what's going on and what her place in the world is, bedridden and destitute.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

BrianWilly posted:

Upper back pain?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

RevKrule posted:

I didn't really mind that they didn't get into it, but I just assumed it was cancer of some sort. That's probably me projecting, since my mom died from cancer last year. :smith:

FWIW, even non-brain cancers will gently caress with your head if you're late stage, because between the chemo and the painkillers, you're on drugs that would put down an elephant. My mom's cancer was all in her guts/lady parts, but she did many things just like Ben's wife: repeating what she just said, blanking out, forgetting who I was, etc... simply because she was so ripped on Wm S Burroughs levels of opiates in the hospital. Then at times she could be perfectly lucid, like in the funeral scene in DD.

So, yeah, I just assumed she had cancer of some kind. Actually, the more I think about it, I like that they didn't specify. Seems like some clever [lack of] writing to leave it so open-ended; the audience can fill in the blanks with whatever terminal illness they've seen a loved one suffer through. Didn't matter much to the story, you just needed to know "Ben's got a sick wife". CYOA (where A stands for ailment)

edit: threw in a spoiler tag for anyone who didn't binge

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 24, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Klungar posted:

I assume it was supposed to be Alzheimer's, seeing as she had memory issues in his one conversation with her, as well as the similar issue's Wilson's mom had.

It was. A lot of the characters mirror each other in different aspects and this was another one of them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Basically once a woman survives past child bearing age in the MCU she becomes a rambling shell of a person, confused about what's going on and what her place in the world is, bedridden and destitute.

Glenn Close was grand poobah in GotG at age 67 or so. And, uh... Thor's mom for a bit?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It was. A lot of the characters mirror each other in different aspects and this was another one of them.

What do you mean?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Electromax posted:

Glenn Close was grand poobah in GotG at age 67 or so. And, uh... Thor's mom for a bit?
There was that old woman who guarded the secret entrance to the facility who tried to machine gun the Nazi who tried to blow it up near the beginning of Captain America. She went down swingin' :rip:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

zoux posted:

What do you mean?

There's just, similarities, between characters throughout the series, mostly between Fisk and Matt but are little things for other characters. Urich is doing whatever he can to get money for his wife as she has Alzheimer and needs the help even if it will get him killed, Fisk will do whatever he can to keep his mother safe as she has Alzhemiers even if he has to kill.

Fisk and Matt have arguably the same origin and motivation and both eventually come to the realization that they need to become something more for the ~hell~ they are in. Both characters just go in different directions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

There's just, similarities, between characters throughout the series, mostly between Fisk and Matt but are little things for other characters. Urich is doing whatever he can to get money for his wife as she has Alzheimer and needs the help even if it will get him killed, Fisk will do whatever he can to keep his mother safe as she has Alzhemiers even if he has to kill.

Fisk and Matt have arguably the same origin and motivation and both eventually come to the realization that they need to become something more for the ~hell~ they are in. Both characters just go in different directions.

Oh yeah I see.

The show does do a good job of "we are not so different, you and I". That's cliched as hell, but usually it's bad because the villain and the hero are actually nothing alike. But Matt and Kingpin are very similar, it's just that Kingpin is willing to cross a line that Matt isn't. Which also makes the usually cliched as hell "I won't kill ever" moral dilemma actually an interesting look at why heroes are what they are and why villains are what they are.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RevKrule posted:

Based on some of the dialogue, I assumed that she was the source on a story that involved some nasty working conditions and suffered some adverse effect because of that. But I've only watched the season once, but he talks about it, when he mentions his bigger stories and how he met her the first time. The theme to those stories is that the people who push back against the oppressors end up getting hurt, but I don't recall him saying there was an explicit link.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Electromax posted:

Oh yeah poo poo Glenn Close owns. Thor's mom is an alien goddess, barely counts. For that matter, is Glenn Close an alien?

redbackground posted:

There was that old woman who guarded the secret entrance to the facility who tried to machine gun the Nazi who tried to blow it up near the beginning of Captain America. She went down swingin' :rip:

That lady owns, too. Me and my wife were watching it on FX the other day and that was definitely a highlight for us. She had a drat tommy gun!

Also there is Elena in Daredevil as well, she is pretty active. It's just pretty funny that a lot of older women in the MCU have "vague old woman dementia disease", and two are in the same show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nova Prime is an alien, yeah.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh yeah poo poo Glenn Close owns. Thor's mom is an alien goddess, barely counts. For that matter, is Glenn Close an alien?

That lady owns, too. Me and my wife were watching it on FX the other day and that was definitely a highlight for us. She had a drat tommy gun!

Also there is Elena in Daredevil as well, she is pretty active. It's just pretty funny that a lot of older women in the MCU have "vague old woman dementia disease", and two are in the same show.

Well the ones from the same show were probably meant as an intentional parallel, at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Nova Prime is an alien, yeah.

And a stand-up lady who believes you when you say you're not 100% a dick.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Oh yeah I see.

The show does do a good job of "we are not so different, you and I". That's cliched as hell, but usually it's bad because the villain and the hero are actually nothing alike. But Matt and Kingpin are very similar, it's just that Kingpin is willing to cross a line that Matt isn't. Which also makes the usually cliched as hell "I won't kill ever" moral dilemma actually an interesting look at why heroes are what they are and why villains are what they are.

I loved that you can kind of see Wilson's motivations, and especially that they weren't that dissimilar that Matt's, up until the good Samaritan speech. Wilson did see himself as doing good and viewed himself as the hero in his own story until the last episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

zoux posted:

Oh yeah I see.

I loved that scene with Wesley and Leland in the limo where Leland says "Why don't we just kill Healy?" Wesley explains that they've been dropping a lot of bodies lately and bodies leave a trail that leads to the killers, and even an organization as big as theirs can't consistently shut down every single investigation or keep every inquiry suppressed. It's a twisted counterpart to Matt's moral dilemma with beginning to kill, a sort of criminal ethical dilemma of when to stop killing. Both of them involve letting the immediate passion for their causes override the rational consideration for the future, and in the end Matt resists temptation and achieves his goals while Fisk's failure to rein himself in causes his downfall.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

McSpanky posted:

I loved that scene with Wesley and Leland in the limo where Leland says "Why don't we just kill Healy?" Wesley explains that they've been dropping a lot of bodies lately and bodies leave a trail that leads to the killers, and even an organization as big as theirs can't consistently shut down every single investigation or keep every inquiry suppressed. It's a twisted counterpart to Matt's moral dilemma with beginning to kill, a sort of criminal ethical dilemma of when to stop killing. Both of them involve letting the immediate passion for their causes override the rational consideration for the future, and in the end Matt resists temptation and achieves his goals while Fisk's failure to rein himself in causes his downfall.

I think that when the priest is talking to Matt about the tainted spring, that whole conversation is one of the better explorations of what sets a hero in the comic book sense apart from just a regular vigilante.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

And a stand-up lady who believes you when you say you're not 100% a dick.

I don't think anyone is 100% a dick...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Counterpoint: This guy would be pretty close. http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=149752

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Deadpool posted:

That rumor got started by a random anonymous post on reddit that was deleted by the person the started it. It's hilarious that all these sites are running with this based on something like that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/20/rumor-abc-planning-ms-marvel-miniseries

How does something like that get blown up like that? I will find the person responsible and pour hot coffee in their ears for getting my hopes up.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

How does something like that get blown up like that? I will find the person responsible and pour hot coffee in their ears for getting my hopes up.

Clearly, Skye will become the new Ms. Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Wolpertinger posted:

Clearly, Skye will become the new Ms. Marvel.

Another show with a non-white non-male lead!