Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Can't wait to stick any character design I don't like into that cool rear end iron man suit. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So the direct was just to say "no progress has been made translating it"?

Gameplay looks fun but that kinda sucks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Can't wait to stick any character design I don't like into that cool rear end iron man suit. :3:

I'm jamming loving helmet on every anime weirdo in my party for sure.

really fuckin sucks that there's still zero localization so I guess kiss a summer release goodbye

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So the direct was just to say "no progress has been made translating it"?

Gameplay looks fun but that kinda sucks.

Of course the localization has made progress. It's just that the translated build likely isn't in a presentable state yet. Also, they gotta save something for E3.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban posted:

Of course the localization has made progress. It's just that the translated build likely isn't in a presentable state yet. Also, they gotta save something for E3.

I was hoping for the very, very least they'd give a window for it's release.

The trailer itself lasted about 3 minutes it felt and featured the most bored sounding girl ever then just "here's gameplay of the japanese version have fun." Just a little let down as I expected at least a little bit more.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
So wait, you guys were expecting them to show a build with some but not all translation inserted? Partial translations can really mess stuff up, in particular with the fact that the new character set overwriting the old one even in places that you haven't translated resulting in pure gibberish.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What with the girl having the Freddy Kruger sweater?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I would expect more concrete release information come E3. If nothing's said at that point then you know a release date of this year is potentially hosed.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Khisanth Magus posted:

So wait, you guys were expecting them to show a build with some but not all translation inserted? Partial translations can really mess stuff up, in particular with the fact that the new character set overwriting the old one even in places that you haven't translated resulting in pure gibberish.

Yeah, the only thing that them showing this in Japanese means is that the English translation isn't finished. Disappointed that the only point of this direct seems to have been "Hey, this is a game that exists, by the way".

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I like the how hopeful Theme Of Fighting Dinosaurs is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Khisanth Magus posted:

My only two expectations were.
-Release window at best
-A sample of English voicework, just to hear what's coming up (even if it's just a trailer)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Scott's taste in armor is very questionable.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Noticed on their build it still referred to as Doll.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
The way they talk about the game (like not having an official name for the character classes) makes it sound like localization hasn't made much progress at all, though.

Like, that Dolls are called Skells is the only thing making this any different from some rando streaming an early copy of the Japanese game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Francis posted:

The way they talk about the game (like not having an official name for the character classes) makes it sound like localization hasn't made much progress at all, though.

Like, that Dolls are called Skells is the only thing making this any different from some rando streaming an early copy of the Japanese game.

The long part of translating a game is dialog translation(and codex translation for games that have them), which due to gameplay and story segregation can mostly be done in parallel of system translation like class names. I wouldn't be too concerned.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope "Insurance" for Dolls still makes it into the final version.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I really appreciate how in-depth you can get with customizing your robot's colors.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Huh, you can customise the house too. Neat.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Irrelevantly pissed off that they changed the name of the giant robots from "Dolls" to "Skells". It was already in English, for cripe's sake. Is it that horribly emasculating that your giant robot has a vaguely feminine name?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

They just confirmed later this year at least!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Curator posted:

Irrelevantly pissed off that they changed the name of the giant robots from "Dolls" to "Skells". It was already in English, for cripe's sake. Is it that horribly emasculating that your giant robot has a vaguely feminine name?

Dolls sounds stupid

Skells sound closer to Skeletons.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Anime Curator posted:

skell is fine, neither name's super great anyway so whatever. game's looking real cool, i'm super stoked

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Anime Curator posted:

I'm just going to call them gears anyway, I don't give a ffFUCK

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

as the person said:
"don't mind the word dolls up in the corner there, we are already working on that""

and I say to myself, "WHY???"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Running around and jumping on and off poo poo looks fun. Did the jump ever do much in Xenoblade? I can't recall anything other than it looking goofy.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Personally I'm glad they aren't using "Doll" for the giant robots because even though I'm not as sensitive to anime as others "Doll" makes me cringe/laugh at how terrible it is

Skell isn't great but it's definitely an improvement

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Testament is too spooky. Better change it to something more badass.

Motto posted:

Running around and jumping on and off poo poo looks fun. Did the jump ever do much in Xenoblade? I can't recall anything other than it looking goofy.
Fiora sounding like she's constipated.wav

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
Game looks absolutely great. I wonder if that Wii U bundle is going to make it over. I would be pretty much buying Wii U for Xenoblade X here. I might pick up Bayonetta 2 just because and FE x SMT down the road but Xenoblade would be the main draw.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

Personally I'm glad they aren't using "Doll" for the giant robots because even though I'm not as sensitive to anime as others "Doll" makes me cringe/laugh at how terrible it is

Skell isn't great but it's definitely an improvement

When I say the word, "Doll" I don't cringe or laugh or really do much of anything. Boy I guess I am the guy with the problems with the wording though!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't have a problem with "Doll", but I'm used to that from Turn A Gundam.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

the games looks great though and I will be sure to travel wiht my Doll..

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Anime Curator posted:

as the person said:
"don't mind the word dolls up in the corner there, we are already working on that""

and I say to myself, "WHY???"

Because it sounds stupid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
My pants remain thoroughly unshat

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
They're not Dolls, they're MOBILE suits and they have numerous points of articulation and are worth a lot if you keep them in package.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Motto posted:

the jump was pathetic in the first game so I was pleased to see you now get a big Crackdown-esque jump this time

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This game keeps making me think of a 2015 version of open world phantasy star except with cooldowns instead of a resource based combat system. I am pretty hyped for that reason alone but I am really hyped when I think about everything else too. Christmas is gonna rule this year.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Localization changes from the stream:

Primordial Wilderness -> Primordia
Forest of Nocturnal Luminescence -> Noctilum
Forgotten Canyon/Valley of Forgetfulness -> Oblivia
Continent of White Wood -> Sylvalum
Continent of Black Steel -> Cauldros
Life -> Lifehold
Ma Non -> Manon
Byas/Vyers/whatever -> Prone
Ru -> L
Doll -> Skell
Tatsu -> Tots

I might start using those when translating website updates (though there might only be one left), but I'll probably stick to Japanese terms in the short stories for the sake of consistency.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Skells is the name that popped out the most but all those other translations are pretty good.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Skell is dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not really any more dumb than dolls.

• Locked thread