Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xthetenth posted:

Murder comes up, strangely enough, when discussing actual murders that happened. Murder in forms that happen every day doesn't generally get used for discussion of things other than those particular murders. Using murder as a clumsy allegory for things that aren't actually murder tends toward cartoonish extremes, like say eating infants for nourishment.

So it's literally the same as this Bagley cartoon in all ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, it's people give a gently caress, but in the gently caress those guys sense not the poor ickle Koch feelings sense, right?
The Kochs matter, obviously, but my first thought upon seeing the cartoon was not worry over the poor poor Koch brothers being compared to rapists.

And believe it or not, people have given cartoonists heat in this thread for using unrelated murders like Martin or Brown as metaphors for whatever pet issue they have.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Except, again, you can't end up making a murder joke that a victim of murder can hear. You can offend their families, but you can't actually reach the victims.

Given the incidence of rape in the world, it is quite likely that rape jokes will reach actual rape victims.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

Racism is progressive, on the other hand.

That pronouns joke had nothing to do with trans people or whatever, it was a jab towards tumblr-likes, the alternative didn't even cross my mind, mr. racist shithead.

You're right, it was wrong of me to group all Eastern Europeans in with you.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

That pronouns joke had nothing to do with trans people or whatever, it was a jab towards tumblr-likes

Sweet own on the tumblr kiddies as a tag to a post it otherwise had nothing to do with, glad you're still holding firm in the internet culture wars.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

steinrokkan posted:

Racism is progressive, on the other hand.

That pronouns joke had nothing to do with trans people or whatever, it was a jab towards tumblr-likes, the alternative didn't even cross my mind, mr. racist shithead.

You realize that tumblr stuff comes directly from respecting trans people's pronouns right?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Being dismissive of people's actual issues, in favour of straw versions of those issues, while arguing that rape jokes are just fine? Huh.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, transphobic people use the same pronouns jokes, so maybe get new material for those sick burns on people nobody in this thread cares about.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Small Frozen Thing posted:

You're right, it was wrong of me to group all Eastern Europeans in with you.

Whoa, ice burn.

Somfin posted:

Except, again, you can't end up making a murder joke that a victim of murder can hear. You can offend their families, but you can't actually reach the victims.

Given the incidence of rape in the world, it is quite likely that rape jokes will reach actual rape victims.

How are you going to quantify the aggregate level of distress caused by a joke? I've been personally affected by a murder in my family, so that's my trigger. Why is it fair to expect me to make concessions that certain distressing jokes are better than others?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like this devil despite not being a particularly novel depiction of Satan.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Whoa, ice burn.

How are you going to quantify the aggregate level of distress caused by a joke? I've been personally affected by a murder in my family, so that's my trigger. Why is it fair to expect me to make concessions that certain distressing jokes are better than others?

You should do it because it's nice. If you asked someone not to make murder jokes around you, it would be nice of them to listen. Nobody is going to put you in jail for doing it, but they will think you are a butthole and might tell you as much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
For somebody posting in a political cartoons thread of SA you have loving thin skin.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

For somebody posting in a political cartoons thread of SA you have loving thin skin.
drat, down to that already?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rorus Raz posted:

You're not hardcore enough to handle political cartoons.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

steinrokkan posted:

Are you saying eating infants is a thing that happens commonly across the world?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The cartoon has a coherent message and it's delivered in an effective way. I would respect someone's wishes if they told me not to make references to something to their face, but I don't think it's reasonable to insist that everyone self-censor and pull punches when publishing stuff in general. We don't put trigger warnings on our posts here, afterall.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

You should do it because it's nice. If you asked someone not to make murder jokes around you, it would be nice of them to listen. Nobody is going to put you in jail for doing it, but they will think you are a butthole and might tell you as much.

How is that relevant to that Bagley cartoon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

xthetenth posted:

Are you saying eating infants is a thing that happens commonly across the world?

At points in history, in some regions, it was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rorus Raz posted:

Yes, because it's true and kind of laughable. The idea that mass media can be sensitive is divorced from reality.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

How is that relevant to that Bagley cartoon.

A lot of people have been raped so putting out a cartoon like that to a wide audience is pretty insensitive.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The cartoon has a coherent message and it's delivered in an effective way. I would respect someone's wishes if they told me not to make references to something to their face, but I don't think it's reasonable to insist that everyone self-censor and pull punches when publishing stuff in general. We don't put trigger warnings on our posts here, afterall.

This is the reasonable grown-up approach. Don't be a cuntwaffle to people who ask you to not reference something in front of them, but there is no obligation for society as a whole to self-censor and police for Rightthought just on the chance that someone is 'triggered' by what you write. And honestly, if just seeing something randomly pass by you is enough to cause you real harm, then you need serious help, not for everyone to hide anything that makes you feel sad.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Ohhhhkay, I'm just gonna post another week of Mallard

Mallard Fillmore: Year One (August 8-13, 1994)

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Sinestro posted:

This is the reasonable grown-up approach. Don't be a cuntwaffle to people who ask you to not reference something in front of them, but there is no obligation for society as a whole to self-censor and police for Rightthought just on the chance that someone is 'triggered' by what you write. And honestly, if just seeing something randomly pass by you is enough to cause you real harm, then you need serious help, not for everyone to hide anything that makes you feel sad.

No. It's a cheap shock metaphor, Bagley can do better, and this is a loving stupid hill to die on.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'll have you know that "Political Cartoon Thread" is its own trigger warning.

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Something for you all to enjoy...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sinestro posted:

Nobody said there was any obligation. You're upset that something was being criticized and getting defensive over it. You are the one with the thin skin who has been triggered. I'm sorry you are so offended by people saying "that's a bad thing. My opinion is that you shouldn't do that thing."

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Good to know Fillmore has always just been liberalsLIBERALSLIBERALS!!!

That said they do seem to have more effort put into them than the current ones featuring DuckVoid(tm) technology.

Edit:

Lol Gary McCoy has the brain of a 12, perhaps a 14-year-old.

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 24, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

steinrokkan posted:

At points in history, in some regions, it was.

So what major subset of the culture of the country it was published in was it practiced? Tell me more about infanticide and cannibalism in 1700s Britain.

That is one side, the other is that it adds baggage that isn't really necessary and measurably diminishes how much the cartoon resonates with a bunch of us. The general audience of the cartoon isn't the population of a something awful thread, and different levels of tasteless and different bounds of just a joke apply.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The Quayle '96 strip got a laugh out of me.

God, he really thought Clinton was doomed, and now I want a fast-foreward to November '96.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lemming posted:

Nobody said there was any obligation. You're upset that something was being criticized and getting defensive over it. You are the one with the thin skin who has been triggered. I'm sorry you are so offended by people saying "that's a bad thing. My opinion is that you shouldn't do that thing."

By this measure every regular of this thread is a crybaby who has a meltdown every time a Conservative criticizes liberal ideas.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, being sensitive about what you say to victims of crime needs a huge amount of objective justification.

Also good job bringing up "that's my trigger" after mocking Tumblr and mocking the idea of pronouns. There is no way you are being genuine about having a trigger. If you were, you would understand why maybe people don't want to see crimes that happened directly to them used as metaphors for why the Koch Brothers are bad. Also why people with actual triggers hate how over-dramatic shitheads have co-opted their terminology.

I don't think anyone's arguing that it wasn't well made and effective. It was just tasteless and crass, and likely to cause distress to a segment of the population. The only self-censoring that would have happened would be his subconscious going "this is a lovely cliche metaphor about lady liberty being threatened with rape, maybe I could do better."

Sinestro posted:

Rightthought

Ughhhhhh. Goddamn it, did no-one else in here read 1984?

There is only 'thoughtcrime.' All thoughts are acceptable except those which are against the will of the Party. The fact that almost all thoughts are against the will of the party is irrelevant. Playing that card on "rape as metaphor detracts from the message of the cartoon" is a little bit loving overblown.

steinrokkan posted:

By this measure every regular of this thread is a crybaby who has a meltdown every time a Conservative criticizes liberal ideas.

You're only just realising that now?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ah, the rare "Why do they hate us"/"If general trend then why specific instance" combo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Somfin posted:

Yeah, being sensitive about what you say to victims of crime needs a huge amount of objective justification.

Also good job bringing up "that's my trigger" after mocking Tumblr and mocking the idea of pronouns. There is no way you are being genuine about having a trigger. If you were, you would understand why maybe people don't want to see crimes that happened directly to them used as metaphors for why the Koch Brothers are bad. Also why people with actual triggers hate how over-dramatic shitheads have co-opted their terminology.

I don't want to see certain crimes being thrown casually around either, but it's not going to happen, and in my experience vocalizing these opinions only leads to derision because it's not a popularly approved concern so I just tend to keep my mouth shut.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Dude, this is a thread entirely devoted to ragging on political cartoons. The cartoon had a serious problem; people ragged on it. Nobody is forcing Bagley to censor himself. If he wants to keep making cartoons about rape, then I guess he can see what the reaction is.

And y'know what, I give him enough credit to believe he probably won't keep making tasteless toons like that.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 25, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Lemming posted:

I started to write a post about how this was a poor argument because why would someone bring something up that they don't like if not to suggest that the thing change, but then I remembered what thread I'm in. :v:

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

The crucified Christian is wearing a clown nose, knowing that even in terrible times you have to look on the bright side. A Monty Python Cartoon.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sinestro posted:

I started to write a post about how this was a poor argument because why would someone bring something up that they don't like if not to suggest that the thing change, but then I remembered what thread I'm in. :v:

I'm glad that you figured out the hypocrisy in your original argument that my post was pointing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Beeg posted:

Mallard Fillmore: Year One (August 1-6, 1994)

To anyone old enough to remember 1994, was it really hard to find conservative journalists on TV back then?

That "giving the shirt off someone else's back" thing had me thinking about a relative's recent reaction to NGOs asking for money. "Why is it that it's the people who care about these issues, and avoid causing them in the first place the best they could, who have to donate money to alleviate the problems, instead of the people who cause the problems to exist in the first place?"

Conservatives give to charity because they don't want to pay taxes. With a charity, you choose if you give, how much you give, and to what purpose exactly you give, and it's tax-deductible. With government programs, you don't have direct control over where your money goes, you instead only have indirect control in that you vote for people whose policies are hopefully compatible with how you'd like taxpayer money to be spent, but -- and that's the real crux of the matter -- it means that your share of power is equal to that of every other voter out there, instead of being in direct proportion to your wealth.

• Locked thread