Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wamsutta posted:

Just when you thought body cladding was maaaaaaybe over and done with, BOOM, VW lays a golden log.

Give us a Golf Sportwagen R, you imbeciles. Not this wannabe Outback.

I think they'll sell fairly well even though they're years late to the market. Naturally there won't be a diesel because you can't fit a urea tank anywhere on the vehicle since it has independent rear suspension :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Alltrack will sell well, the Sportwagen R would sell maybe 1,000 examples a year at most.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Alltrack will sell well, the Sportwagen R would sell maybe 1,000 examples a year at most.

I'd be one of those 1000 though and that's all that matters to me :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I still don't see the Alltrack selling a fraction of what Subaru does with the XV Crosstrek. I don't think they went far enough with the visual differences. It's not going to look "rugged" enough for the people who are buying that type of vehicle.

Both the Outback and the Crosstrek have a certain 'stance' to them. The Alltrack looks just like a golf wagon with a bit too much fender gap that they tried to cover with cladding.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I don't think it's meant to pull subaru buyers to volkswagen, i think it was meant to upsell VW buyers from a $20k golf to a $25k "crossover"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Isn't that the point of the Tiguan?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KakerMix posted:

I'd be one of those 1000 though and that's all that matters to me :(

I'd strongly consider it myself, but it just doesn't make sense for VW.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

bull3964 posted:

No, the point of the tiquan is to remind VW bosses that they're not now, and will never be a premium brand by selling in a year what the escape sells in a month.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

bull3964 posted:

The tiguan has no point

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The tiguan has no point

Without them, how could we have a lovely, annoying commercial filmed in a horse stable that plays twice every SINGLE loving COMMERCIAL BREAK?

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The tiguan has no point
The Tiguan exists so that Skoda can do a cheaper, better-equipped, and more comfortable version of it. :colbert:

e: Actually that probably applies to most VWs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

I still don't see the Alltrack selling a fraction of what Subaru does with the XV Crosstrek.

I'd be in a Crosstrek instead of my Golf if it came with a better engine option and didn't get the CVT standard if you want any options packages. I'd almost definitely upgrade for an Alltrack TDI, but that's not happening so I'll keep my Golf.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Without them, how could we have a lovely, annoying commercial filmed in a horse stable that plays twice every SINGLE loving COMMERCIAL BREAK?

Holy hell, it's a Canada-specific ad. No wonder it's not as funny as the other VW ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2Mgsr69Vs
The Tiguan: it came out of a horse's vagina.™ New, from Geely Volkswagen.

"Look out," she said, breathily, half-lidded eyes and plump lips teasing me like prey, "it's a thoroughbred."

She passed me the keys to a Tiguan. I could feel my vision dimming at the edges.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 25, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I still miss the "unpimp the auto" campaign. I wish all car ad campaigns could be that funny.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Speaking of VW the GolfR420 (formally R400? I guess?) is getting produced. This is the same insane-ness that fuels the idea behind the Hellcats, but instead it's super hot hatches. I love it.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I wonder how a $55,000 Golf will sell.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A friend of mine recently picked up a Golf R and it's a really nice car and super quick with like 300bhp but IT'S SO loving QUIET. There's virtually naff all noise coming from the thing as it winds up and disappears... The noise it does produce is really nice but there's just not enough of it at all. Stupidly quiet car.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

PT6A posted:

I still miss the "unpimp the auto" campaign. I wish all car ad campaigns could be that funny.

Isn't that the truth? Peter Stormare made those commercials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1MNEqCr748

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KakerMix posted:

Speaking of VW the GolfR420 (formally R400? I guess?) is getting produced. This is the same insane-ness that fuels the idea behind the Hellcats, but instead it's super hot hatches. I love it.

410-ish HP from a turbo 2.0L in a (kinda) mass-produced hatchback. What a world we live in.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sigma X posted:

410-ish HP from a turbo 2.0L in a (kinda) mass-produced hatchback. What a world we live in.

I'm interested in their reasoning to not go with the 5 cylinder. You always hear "X manufacturer doesn't bring X engine over because of federalization costs" but then you get them doing poo poo like this. I guess they think it would steal RS3 sales if they bring it over? I assume it's going to be a little cheaper, so it would probably do that anyway.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fknlo posted:

I'm interested in their reasoning to not go with the 5 cylinder. You always hear "X manufacturer doesn't bring X engine over because of federalization costs" but then you get them doing poo poo like this. I guess they think it would steal RS3 sales if they bring it over? I assume it's going to be a little cheaper, so it would probably do that anyway.

This might be crossposting from the general chat thread, but 1) Audi already said that boosting power of the 2.0 any higher makes it too peaky and laggy, and that adding the extra cyl really made a big difference, and 2) It's already going to cannibalizes sales of the RS3.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fknlo posted:

Because the spirit that made the Ur-Quattro what it was said it would exact revenge on them if they ever put a five-cylinder engine in a car undeserving of it again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

Doesn't the VW 5cyl merely have the power of a four with the economy of a six, or have they made a modern one?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Doesn't the VW 5cyl merely have the power of a four with the economy of a six, or have they made a modern one?

You're thinking of the one that was in the base golf/jetta. This is the one from the TTRS. The RS3 is also getting it and it would have made sense to put it in the super golf as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of hot hatches, please please please Peugeot put this 500hp hybrid hatch into production:

270hp 1.6L turbo 4-cylinder and two 115hp electric motors.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/308/91165/shock-493bhp-peugeot-308-r-hybrid-set-to-get-the-green-light

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rather impressed with the new Mustang. Got one as a rental for work and pretty decent. Ecoboost version with heated/cooled seats so must be the premium.

Hood is enormous though.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Bovril Delight posted:

Rather impressed with the new Mustang. Got one as a rental for work and pretty decent. Ecoboost version with heated/cooled seats so must be the premium.

Hood is enormous though.

I drove one over the weekend too, 6spd performance pack and I absolutely loved it, felt just about perfect to me. The only downside would be getting asked "why didn't you buy a V8?" constantly. I like the way the hood is.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KozmoNaut posted:

Speaking of hot hatches, please please please Peugeot put this 500hp hybrid hatch into production:

270hp 1.6L turbo 4-cylinder and two 115hp electric motors.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/peugeot/308/91165/shock-493bhp-peugeot-308-r-hybrid-set-to-get-the-green-light

That's a decent looking car and drive train. I love the colour even more, (I had one of my cars painted a similar blue before)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

SFH1989 posted:

I drove one over the weekend too, 6spd performance pack and I absolutely loved it, felt just about perfect to me. The only downside would be getting asked "why didn't you buy a V8?" constantly. I like the way the hood is.

Because:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

"Because I like having the option to spend a bunch of money modifying it to still be worse than the V8."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What about "i regularly drive up to the top of mount evans or pikes peak, at which the ecoboost would have more horsepower"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Turbo noises." :colbert:

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

KillHour posted:

"Turbo noises." :colbert:

vs V8 noises?

That seems dubious as reasoning.

What about, 'because it was the one i wanted you asshat, keep your stupid opinions to yourself.'?

Also, wouldn't it theoretically be the better autocrosser due to lighter up front?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

tijag posted:

vs V8 noises?

That seems dubious as reasoning.

What about, 'because it was the one i wanted you asshat, keep your stupid opinions to yourself.'?

Also, wouldn't it theoretically be the better autocrosser due to lighter up front?

turbo noises are this generation's V8 noises

tisssssssssssss

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why not both? :haw:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tijag posted:

vs V8 noises?

The regular GT stang isn't a flat plane V8, so yes. If you can afford the GT350, be my guest.

Edit: What I'm saying is Ford really does have a car for every enthusiast, now. You want a cheap practical car that's a ton of fun? Fiesta ST. You want to take every corner sideways? In the snow? Up a mountain? Focus RS. You want a pony car? Do you like turbos or American V8s? Oh you want your pony car to sound like a Ferrari? We got that too. You want a super car that actually competes with a Ferrari? Yup! It's loving mental. :psyduck:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 28, 2015

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The new Mustang is a quantum leap in pretty much every way and the Premium interior is way nicer than it has any right to be. Aside from the looks being kind of :effort: Ford just crushed it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sean10mm posted:

The new Mustang is a quantum leap in pretty much every way and the Premium interior is way nicer than it has any right to be. Aside from the looks being kind of :effort: Ford just crushed it.

They're also a good bit more expensive though, I got a 2013 V6 premium brand new for $22,500. I can't see swinging an ecoboost for under $28k at least.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Why not both? :haw:

Go the Triumph way and just slap two of their four cylinder motors together to make the worst V8 ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

You Am I posted:

Go the Triumph way and just slap two of their four cylinder motors together to make the worst V8 ever
Pretty literally what a flat-plane V8 is.

And yeah, the S550s are loving insane.
And expensive. My poor bank account. I want so badly to put the order in on 5/11. But I really should wait until December.

The bad side is I want Sync3 *and* cooled seats. Which means 2016. Without sync3 I could grab a 2015 and enjoy it this summer. Without cooled seats I could get a 2015 not-premium or a FoST. :(
If I could play with Sync3 for a while it would really help. Too bad its not out anywhere to play with.