Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Peanut and the Gang posted:

You know how there's that weird unicode for zalgo text or whatever that you can pretty much add pixels at random places on the line? Is there a thing where you can put a black and white image and it coverts that to the unicodes that make that picture? I want to make the harry potter HP but change the P to have the lightning bolt and post that on bookface.

Also why does that kind of text seem to work when I google for it, but breaks if I copypaste? I guess mac doesn't include all the unicode chars when I copy?

newfags don't know how to triforce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my home computer's power supply seems to have killed itself the other day. (computer wouldn't turn on, smell of ozone filling the room) i bought another one (same model and everything) yesterday, but swapping that in didn't give my computer the ability to power on. should i try replacing the whole motherboard now? or should i just call it a lost cause?

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

prefect posted:

my home computer's power supply seems to have killed itself the other day. (computer wouldn't turn on, smell of ozone filling the room) i bought another one (same model and everything) yesterday, but swapping that in didn't give my computer the ability to power on. should i try replacing the whole motherboard now? or should i just call it a lost cause?

have you inspected the motherboard, especially for things like bulging capacitors?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

have you inspected the motherboard, especially for things like bulging capacitors?

i have not, but i will image search bulging capacitors and see if i can find anything tonight

e: i do not have a lot of hope that i will find anything

because i'm not sure i can see what they're pointing out in this picture :saddowns:

but i will try

prefect fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 23, 2015

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

i have not, but i will image search bulging capacitors and see if i can find anything tonight

e: i do not have a lot of hope that i will find anything

because i'm not sure i can see what they're pointing out in this picture :saddowns:

but i will try

look at the top, where the three scored lines are

it should be totally level, not convex, and certainly not oozing brown goop

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if the capacitor failed badly enough the metal part will fly off the rest of it like some reverse bullet
or the capacitor will have all it's guts confetti'd out

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

prefect posted:

it may be worth it to pull the motherboard battery for a couple minutes. i've had certain cases of systems present similar symptoms and they powered up normally after a BIOS reset.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lightbulb Out posted:

it may be worth it to pull the motherboard battery for a couple minutes. i've had certain cases of systems present similar symptoms and they powered up normally after a BIOS reset.

i will search for a picture of my motherboard and attempt to locate the battery. thanks for the tip :tipshat:

(yes, i am this bad at computers)

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

its like 1" round and shiny

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

its like 1" round and shiny

but enough about your privates :haw:

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though:

Check that you bought a power supply with enough wattage to power your poo poo. If you have, try doing a de-dusting and make sure all the plugs are properly snug.

Though when a PSU explodes, it can also cause surges, so your mb may be hosed after all.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Migishu posted:

Seriously though:

Check that you bought a power supply with enough wattage to power your poo poo. If you have, try doing a de-dusting and make sure all the plugs are properly snug.

Though when a PSU explodes, it can also cause surges, so your mb may be hosed after all.

the power supply was 760W, and according to pcpartpicker, i need 440W

i almost want to use this as an excuse to buy a whole new computer, just so i can get one with an enormous case, so that i can actually get my hands in there and connect things on the first try and without dropping a bunch of stuff in there :downs:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
your motherboard battery should be a cr2032 watch battery on the board. it should be very easy to spot.

another thing i check is just plug in the motherboard & gpu to ensure that the board is powering up, as some other component may be causing the system to not power up.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

prefect posted:

get one with an enormous case, so that i can actually get my hands in there and connect things on the first try and without dropping a bunch of stuff in there :downs:

I did this, don't do it. A well designed small case is just as good as a huge case. I had some cooler master HAF trash and now I have a fractal core 1000 and vastly prefer the fractal.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I did this, don't do it. A well designed small case is just as good as a huge case. I had some cooler master HAF trash and now I have a fractal core 1000 and vastly prefer the fractal.

i also need to find a case that doesn't have any windows or lights on it. okay, it can have a power light, but not too bright :rant:

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

prefect posted:

i also need to find a case that doesn't have any windows or lights on it. okay, it can have a power light, but not too bright :rant:

antec and fractal design make monolith cases

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

yeah i have the "Fractal Design Define Mini" and it is extremely needs suiting

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i think i'm going to buy all the parts for a computer and then have the people at a local computer store assemble everything for me. that way, i get the satisfaction of knowing i picked the wrong thing as well as the comfort of being able to blame any mysterious problems on the assemblers

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
physically building the computer is the easy part, honestly.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

prefect posted:

i think i'm going to buy all the parts for a computer and then have the people at a local computer store assemble everything for me. that way, i get the satisfaction of knowing i picked the wrong thing as well as the comfort of being able to blame any mysterious problems on the assemblers

Just buy the systems in the parts picking thread and assemble them yourself. I'm still very happy with the system they were recommending three years ago. It worked out much better than when I randomly bought AMD oriented crap and stuck it in a $20 case with glowing lights and knockoff alienware heads on it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just assume the number of autistic man hours that goes into that thread could keep tabs on every train in america for a day.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I just assume the number of autistic man hours that goes into that thread could keep tabs on every train in america for a day.

is it particularly fishmech-heavy?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

is it particularly fishmech-heavy?

no they generally know what they're talking about unlike fishmech

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
every time i think i want to get a nicer desktop computer the first stop is that thread and the second stop is https://store.apple.com

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Just buy the systems in the parts picking thread and assemble them yourself. I'm still very happy with the system they were recommending three years ago. It worked out much better than when I randomly bought AMD oriented crap and stuck it in a $20 case with glowing lights and knockoff alienware heads on it.

i'm good at reading the parts-picking thread and using pcpartpicker.com; i have a problem with the actual assembly. there are too many plugs to connect and too many things on the motherboard to connect them to, and some of the plugs aren't supposed to be used, and most of the motherboard connectors aren't supposed to be used and the documentation is either nonexistent or impossibly terse :qq:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

prefect posted:

i'm good at reading the parts-picking thread and using pcpartpicker.com; i have a problem with the actual assembly. there are too many plugs to connect and too many things on the motherboard to connect them to, and some of the plugs aren't supposed to be used, and most of the motherboard connectors aren't supposed to be used and the documentation is either nonexistent or impossibly terse :qq:

the documentation for my asrock motherboard was actually pretty good and told me what to plug in where

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

prefect posted:

plug sata ports into the sata ports, starting at 0

the processor only goes in one slot

the motherboard manual will tell you where to plug in your memory

plug the power connectors into the power connectors, the documentation will tell you what ones are required

plug the video card into the pci-e x16 slot

everything else is just screws

it's not hard.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Lightbulb Out posted:

plug sata ports into the sata ports, starting at 0

the processor only goes in one slot

the motherboard manual will tell you where to plug in your memory

plug the power connectors into the power connectors, the documentation will tell you what ones are required

plug the video card into the pci-e x16 slot

it's not hard.

yeah, it kind of is, because you have front USB ports, front sound ports, fan plugs, all of which look identical

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

yeah, it kind of is, because you have front USB ports, front sound ports, fan plugs, all of which look identical

none of those connectors look alike

the motherboard manual will document the locations of where you need to plug that poo poo in at

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there is only one part nowadays you can gently caress up and that's putting the risers on the case for the board in the wrong spot and the board shorts out on it and fries

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there is only one part nowadays you can gently caress up and that's putting the risers on the case for the board in the wrong spot and the board shorts out on it and fries
i knew a guy who was building his first computer and didn't use those riser screws and shorted out his motherboard very quickly lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lightbulb Out posted:

none of those connectors look alike

the motherboard manual will document the locations of where you need to plug that poo poo in at

they're all just pins i guess but they're color coded

so i guess unless you're colorblind it's not really a problem if you read the manual

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Beeftweeter posted:

they're all just pins i guess but they're color coded

so i guess unless you're colorblind it's not really a problem if you read the manual

audio/usb i can believe but look at the silkscreen on the board & the manual and you will have no problems. fan headers look nothing like those, either.

also if you're building a new machine it should have usb3.0 which has a fancy new internal connector that is really hard to gently caress up

building computers is fun & easy and you shouldn't be afraid just take your time and put it together

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i decided to splurge and get a new gtx 970 card, and it has a 6-pin and an 8-pin power connector on the card

my psu only has two 6-pin connectors (and not 6+2 connectors), however the card came with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, will that suffice? i'm worried it will be underpowered or cause other issues

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
you can try it but it may not power on without two 8 pins. they will bitch at you before the system POSTs usually.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lightbulb Out posted:

also if you're building a new machine it should have usb3.0 which has a fancy new internal connector that is really hard to gently caress up

oh yeah i forgot about that. also since the header connectors only cover so many pins that + labels + color coding make it very difficult to gently caress up

Stymie posted:

i decided to splurge and get a new gtx 970 card, and it has a 6-pin and an 8-pin power connector on the card

my psu only has two 6-pin connectors (and not 6+2 connectors), however the card came with a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter, will that suffice? i'm worried it will be underpowered or cause other issues

anecdotally it should be fine, i got a 970 recently also and used that for a few hours until i found an 8-pin + 6-pin cable hiding in my psu box

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lightbulb Out posted:

you can try it but it may not power on without two 8 pins. they will bitch at you before the system POSTs usually.

idk about stymie's but mine only needed a 6 pin + 8 pin

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lightbulb Out posted:

it wont be able to tell the difference between a 6-pin with an adapter to 8 pins, and an actual 8-pin

the only real difference is how much the rail will droop under load, and i really doubt that card will pull enough current (more than like 22A?) to cause undue voltage drop in 12x16AWG

but the fact that the psu doesn't have any 6+2 or 8-pin connectors might be a sign that the psu is underpowered for that load

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Raluek posted:

it wont be able to tell the difference between a 6-pin with an adapter to 8 pins, and an actual 8-pin

the only real difference is how much the rail will droop under load, and i really doubt that card will pull enough current (more than like 22A?) to cause undue voltage drop in 12x16AWG

but the fact that the psu doesn't have any 6+2 or 8-pin connectors might be a sign that the psu is underpowered for that load

yeah, they're shorted together but i've worked with some quadros that complained. most ran fine even with dual 6pins though. the single 970 machine ive built had dual 8pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the card itself has one 6 pin and one 8 pin, so i would only need to use the adapter for one of the 6 pins

it fired up just fine, i suppose if it has any problems it would show up under load, but i'm not going to be taxing it that heavily, only 2 displays at 1920x1200

i suppose i'll find out, hopefully i won't have to splash out for a new psu too