Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

I started a Gnome Wizard, named Wizardry, because I am an uncreative goon who hates naming characters.

I got to lvl 8 and after I sold all my cloth armor (I had a robe and a staff left) I would able to buy Gate, Root, and my lvl 8 nuke. This is only going to get worse isn't it?

Red or blue? Starting plat is always available on blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Is there going to be an update to the thread RE: Velious? It's a pretty big announcement and should probably be reflected in the title of the thread. Also, the installation instructions are frustratingly incorrect.

This is the working installation guide:
https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651

IGNORE ALL OTHER INSTRUCTIONS, this is the one that works... if you have win8 make sure that you run in compatibility mode... DO get WinEQ2... it's FREE for EQPlayNice, which is what you want:
https://www.lavishsoft.com/wiki/index.php/WinEQ_2

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Daaz posted:

Ok i'll do that. I'll be on daaz/red, i'll shoot you a tell as soon as i see you!

Who else is on red? I'll add you to /w friend

Cool. Said wassup to Fotwen and he gave me a few of your names. Still waiting on a Fresh officer to come around. I'll be on tonight, see you guys later!

I'm on red, unfetereds the 29 necro.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

Is there going to be an update to the thread RE: Velious? It's a pretty big announcement and should probably be reflected in the title of the thread. Also, the installation instructions are frustratingly incorrect.

IGNORE ALL OTHER INSTRUCTIONS, this is the one that works... if you have win8 make sure that you run in compatibility mode... DO get WinEQ2... it's FREE for EQPlayNice, which is what you want:

Also make sure you run it as an admin, you can do that in the properties.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I'm on red, unfetereds the 29 necro.

Didn't realize you were a goon, Unfetereds. I don't think we've grouped but I see you in ooc. Are you in Kunark area?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Communist Q posted:

That'd be me. Feel free to hit me up for ports in game.

That'd be awesome they're really expensive from randoms and id a rather a goon get the money

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Anyone on Blue wanna farm some plat in the 50's before Velious drops? Thinking I could tank a Seb or Howling Stones group for a couple nights if anyone wants to pick a time they're not poopsocking a dragon

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

gepgepgep posted:

Red or blue? Starting plat is always available on blue.

This guy is on red.

I'm going a little alt crazy on blue. I decided on leveling an Enc on blue, so I could farm pp and gear for the classes I really want to play (either Monk, War, or Pal)

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.
Does anyone else have SLAMDUNKATRON officer status? I can't invite my own characters

edit: My wizard Queyin is almost 39 so if anyone needs ports off peak times look for me.

Arakan fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 22, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Went for 46->47 in solb last night and was a little disappointed at the exp rate. I think CoM is better and the pulls are easier.

Also: things are starting to get much more intense PVP-wise around this level because a single round of melee can chunk you for ~1/3 of your hp if you're a caster (plus tranquil staff procs are bs). I'm still not sure there's much I can do as an enchanter other than gate or dispel buffs. I know a big component of pvp is setting up rapture cc (unresistable mez) but I'm worried about folks self-casting DOTs on themselves even when I get to that point.

Speaking of which, if anyone is thinking of rolling a cleric, and highly recommended race/deity combination is either gnome/brex or human/brex because of the DoT necklace you get. Gnomes in general are apparently good at PvP because they are small (harder to target) and can see through walls, which is a really weird interaction with map geometry I don't know will be fixed. Both races can also wear robes, which is the BiS item after Veliious drops. Lastly, gnomes can wear small bronze armor, which is easier to come by than other bronze sizes.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Went for 46->47 in solb last night and was a little disappointed at the exp rate. I think CoM is better and the pulls are easier.

Also: things are starting to get much more intense PVP-wise around this level because a single round of melee can chunk you for ~1/3 of your hp if you're a caster (plus tranquil staff procs are bs). I'm still not sure there's much I can do as an enchanter other than gate or dispel buffs. I know a big component of pvp is setting up rapture cc (unresistable mez) but I'm worried about folks self-casting DOTs on themselves even when I get to that point.

Speaking of which, if anyone is thinking of rolling a cleric, and highly recommended race/deity combination is either gnome/brex or human/brex because of the DoT necklace you get. Gnomes in general are apparently good at PvP because they are small (harder to target) and can see through walls, which is a really weird interaction with map geometry I don't know will be fixed. Both races can also wear robes, which is the BiS item after Veliious drops. Lastly, gnomes can wear small bronze armor, which is easier to come by than other bronze sizes.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Fright_Forged_Helm

Erudite Cazic-Thule cleric for the best clicky item. This is a free self see-invis. The also have a Fear mask (saved my rear end in more than one PVE mistakes) and a badass purple version of the MM shield. Plus, they can quest for the Aegis of Life without too much faction work. Oh, and Dark Elfs like you, just not the clerics as usual.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 22, 2015

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As a monk, I get wrecked by rogues in pvp. I don't even go to the popular zones but it still happens sometimes. Without a See Invisible item, a rogue can just hide and drop from your targeting. This particular dude also had J Boots, which made it hard to catch up and hit him after he back stabbed. No Fungi, though, so it was actually somewhat fun, though two sarnak casters aggroed me and kept alternating spells so I couldn't FD them off. Ended up eating an xp death, even though the PK was hitting me after the stupid sarnak blinded me.

Would have felt amazing to beat the guy, but my friend said the dude ran to get healed by some OOR guy when he'd been dropped to 5 percent, so it was probably unwinnable. Super lame that one See Invisible item would have shut him down hard, but they cost 3k for the crappiest one.

At least casters can gate and have a decent shot at escape, no such option for melee.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
^^^ Exactly why ERU/CT clerics are so essential, imho.

See invis is literally required on Red if you hope to survive 40+. SKs have their clicky circlet of shadow, also, so a lot of gankers are impossible to kill with that. Best part of having that helmet on my cleric was meleeing SKs while they went invis to immediately pop them out for the rest of my group to continue hitting them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

I'll post a new thread for Velious. The games mods have repeatedly ignored any request to change the thread title in the past. I think they largely ignore anything to do with MMO HMO, but who knows.

I'll get started on fixing some of the links. The old original .org domain is apparently no longer forwarding properly and I was too lazy to fix them to the .com domain while it was still working. The install instructions are otherwise fine afaik. Duxa's installer is easier for a lot of people than manually dicking with ini files (or so the people who asked me to put those instructions in a year+ ago said) and WinEQ2 can be useful for some people but does nothing relevant for most systems these days aside from setting core affinity. I wish EQemulauncher was still being supported, but manually patching isn't too terrible. If anyone knows of another auto-updater that doesn't suck, feel free to let me know and I'll include it in the next OP.

EDIT: OP updated with the .com domain change and velious release info. If anyone has anything else they'd like to include in the next thread's OP, now is the time to let me know. I've got PMs if you'd rather send it there.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 22, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

I'm still not sure there's much I can do as an enchanter other than gate or dispel buffs. I know a big component of pvp is setting up rapture cc (unresistable mez) but I'm worried about folks self-casting DOTs on themselves even when I get to that point.

As an Enchanter you're basically relegated to dispel & tash duty on R99. Chaotic Feedback doesn't have the same resist check as it used to on live (was rarely fully resisted), so you can't interrupt effectively. Skilled players will self-DOT with a potion that I can't remember the name of - its a very weak DOT.. Stinging Wort maybe?

You still have pretty beastly dispels, though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I still have a 40 dark elf cleric on Red if anyone wants to level in that range.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

^^^ Exactly why ERU/CT clerics are so essential, imho.

See invis is literally required on Red if you hope to survive 40+. SKs have their clicky circlet of shadow, also, so a lot of gankers are impossible to kill with that. Best part of having that helmet on my cleric was meleeing SKs while they went invis to immediately pop them out for the rest of my group to continue hitting them.

OK I found an old P99 thread discussing this topic and it might be useful for new people thinking of rolling one:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182257

The useful post is on page 6:

quote:

Cleric rankings:

1. Gnome Bertox for size and disease clicky dot. Wall sight. Robe.
2. Gnome Brell for size and cultural--not a good deity if new on red unless transferring massive amounts of blue plat. Wall sight. Robe.
3. Halfling--size and sneak secondarily to help in dungeon pvp and pve. No robe.
4. Human Bertox for disease clicky dot. Robe. See invis helm, fear mask.
5. Dwarf Brell for cultural armor with wis and MR but as with gnome cost prohibitive. Medium size. No robe.
6. Human/Erudite evil--Bertox or Inny gives you access to see invis clicky without too much faction work on human. Might be possible to faction on a good deity, but no point that I know of. Snare necklace is a joke and not worth it. Fear mask situational--can fear pets in dungeons without spell swapping. Quested shield is ok if 1st red char, but no long term benefit. Robe.
7. High Elf Tunare ranked near the bottom until Velious where clicky root and quested PoG items will move this ranking up. Robe.
8. Dark Elf--can't think of anything good except hide which might get you out of a jam occasionally before you can afford invis pots. Robe.

Gnome overshadows all clerics on pvp server due to size since you can hide easier and won't be noticed as soon as other clerics. Sure gnome has worse stats, but avoiding damage is worth more than better stats. Bertox best deity so you can dot yourself with the necklace to stop mezzes, at least until you run into an enc with cure shield. Also will save some money, inventory room, and time on resupply runs buying crimson pots.

See invis right click helm is nice short to mid term for human and erudite clerics when starting off new and you don't have the money for boh, but eventually you will get one so long term benefit is negligible.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Gorbag, if you want some of my gear, send a message to Glowers. I'm giving it all to him. Tegg, send Glowers a tell. He'll reimburse you for what you loaned me.

Don't play on Red99. The community is the worst once you hit a certain point. I've gotta say I've enjoyed playing up to 45, but everything after that has been abysmal. After my night tonight, I'm done.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 23, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Communist Q posted:

Gorbag, if you want some of my gear, send a message to Glowers. I'm giving it all to him. Tegg, send Glowers a tell. He'll reimburse you for what you loaned me.

Don't play on Red99. The community is the worst once you hit a certain point. I've gotta say I've enjoyed playing up to 45, but everything after that has been abysmal. After my night tonight, I'm done.

Yeah it's getting pretty rough for me too. Having people abuse geometry so they can nuke you down is pretty stupid. Also having people waiting to gank at the zone line is also stupid.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Communist Q posted:

I feel the same way. Red is great if you want to tickle your nostalgia and level up fast into your 40s, but after that you really can't ignore the shitheads in the community unless you really just want to solo and don't mind going to really out of the way places to do it.

Blue has its own special set of problems in the end game but there's a whole bunch of nice and chill people to group with all the way to 60, and you can avoid the raid drama poo poo as long as you don't mind not having BiS gear - being in a smaller/casual raid guild to snag planar and sky stuff is pretty chill, and a lot more content will be available for those kinds of guilds in just a few weeks.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Communist Q posted:

Ugh, that was always my fear and why I never felt super motivated to get above level 40 or so. I'll be sad to see you go, Fotwen; what happened exactly, or is it just a combination of things?

I can imagine once you get in range of all the loud morons in OOC the PVP aspect becomes front and center, but the journey up to 40 is my favorite part. In some respect, there would always have been a wall for me because even if I got to 60, I don't have the time or commitment to see lots of end game stuff or learn how to PVP this ancient game.

The xp bonus makes for a fun nostalgia trip and there's fairly little PKing; don't suppose you'd consider an alt? Seems like you made up your mind; do you have a Steam id? Would be fun to play other stuff with you as well.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Ugh, that was always my fear and why I never felt super motivated to get above level 40 or so. I'll be sad to see you go, Fotwen; what happened exactly, or is it just a combination of things?

I can imagine once you get in range of all the loud morons in OOC the PVP aspect becomes front and center, but the journey up to 40 is my favorite part. In some respect, there would always have been a wall for me because even if I got to 60, I don't have the time or commitment to see lots of end game stuff or learn how to PVP this ancient game.

The xp bonus makes for a fun nostalgia trip and there's fairly little PKing; don't suppose you'd consider an alt? Seems like you made up your mind; do you have a Steam id? Would be fun to play other stuff with you as well.

He basically got bind point camped in com by someone that should be permabanned

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

He basically got bind point camped in com by someone that should be permabanned

He was helping me out. I was there (man!) We started early in the night in Kurn's and a a bard trained him, and then stabbed in his little face until he died. After the pretty crappy rescue / cr effort, we decided we'd go up my faction in RV. By now it's like 2am est. Manmode kept pk'ng him in the bank while he was trying to help me out with some caysh. He'd pk him, then go out of the bank and wait until he'd try to come in and get his body, and repeat. It sucked watching my mentor get bullied and molested :( Red is nothing but a bunch of sociopathic mouth rapists.

Thanks for all your help yesterday, Fotwen! It's a bummer to see ya go! I am rethinking my time on red after last night, too. I'v got a 30 bard on blue i think i'm gonna get back on. I'll feel it out over the next few days.

Edit: Nice. Got enough faction from turning in bandages to use the bank, but got killed by guards leaving RV.

Yeah im done on red. See ya guys on blue!

edit2: i'm all alone on blue and i need goons to say what's up to my bard Daaz

Daaz fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 23, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Daaz posted:

He was helping me out. I was there (man!) We started early in the night in Kurn's and a a bard trained him, and then stabbed in his little face until he died. After the pretty crappy rescue / cr effort, we decided we'd go up my faction in RV. By now it's like 2am est. Manmode kept pk'ng him in the bank while he was trying to help me out with some caysh. He'd pk him, then go out of the bank and wait until he'd try to come in and get his body, and repeat. It sucked watching my mentor get bullied and molested :( Red is nothing but a bunch of sociopathic mouth rapists.

Thanks for all your help yesterday, Fotwen! It's a bummer to see ya go! I am rethinking my time on red after last night, too. I'v got a 30 bard on blue i think i'm gonna get back on. I'll feel it out over the next few days.

Edit: Nice. Got enough faction from turning in bandages to use the bank, but got killed by guards leaving RV.

Yeah im done on red. See ya guys on blue!

edit2: i'm all alone on blue and i need goons to say what's up to my bard Daaz

I didn't know it went on all night! Isn't Fotwen in Fresh? Why didn't they help?

Daaz
Feb 20, 2004

D.I.Y.

I didn't know it went on all night! Isn't Fotwen in Fresh? Why didn't they help?

Because they suck? I dunno. He was getting keered all night and noone really cared. I even tried to recruit help a few times.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Nah, I'm done with my nostalgia trip. Blue seems way too top heavy, and Red is a clusterfuck once you have to deal with the server's general population. I'd rather not waste any more time at this point.

Total it was like 2 hours of dealing with griefers and trying to get out of CoM completely naked while getting a train run on me while I was naked and without mana. This has happened for like the last 4 nights, and last night was the last straw. I don't get how someone can enjoy killing someone naked/afk, but most of the population of red gets something out of it. As for Fresh, they're loving useless unless you're close friends with people since they're a huge guild.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 23, 2015

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Communist Q posted:

Nah, I'm done with my nostalgia trip. Blue seems way too top heavy, and Red is a clusterfuck once you have to deal with the server's general population. I'd rather not waste anymore time at this point.

Total it was like 2 hours of dealing with griefers and trying to get out of CoM completely naked while getting a train run on me while I was naked and without mana. This has happened for like the last 4 nights, and last night was the last straw. I don't get how someone can enjoy killing someone naked/afk, but most of the population of red gets something out of it. As for Fresh, they're loving useless unless you're close friends with people since they're a huge guild.

Communist Q posted:

Nah, I'm done with my nostalgia trip. Blue seems way too top heavy, and Red is a clusterfuck once you have to deal with the server's general population. I'd rather not waste any more time at this point.

Ok well that sucks and I know exactly what you're going through because I've been in similar (though not identical) Spots lately. If only we has some goon presence on the server that we could coordinate a group somewhere that wasn't going to get camped to gently caress all.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Well, it's that and how terribly broken pvp is with a +/- 4 oor. Half the time you end up in pvp situations where one of your group mates is getting gang banged by a troll and some gnome while there's jackshit you can do because they're just outside of your range. Unless you keep people that close in level, someone is going to get bullied and picked on, and there will be nothing you can do besides throw heals at them. Plus while I thought I'd be up for EQ pvp, the terrain exploitation, and just how binary the pvp is based on gear/consumables/class, or if you're even able to help your friend at all, just makes it an insufferable experience.

Communist Q fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 23, 2015

FayGate
Oct 5, 2012

Disregard my earlier post. I've transferred all my plat off red and will be playing on blue from here on out. Hit me up if you wanna do some early level stuff, in as Steeks the Paladin.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
If anyone needs a hand with stuff on Blue, I'm almost done with this god awful semester and will be semi-active again spending most of my time helping goons. Look me up on Smrt, Illtair, or Bugen or get at me in this here thread.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Currently level 10 enchanter named Lolpedia, let me know if you want to group. Currently farming belts in CB. Should I go elsewhere?

Dirt
May 26, 2003

FranktheBank posted:

Currently level 10 enchanter named Lolpedia, let me know if you want to group. Currently farming belts in CB. Should I go elsewhere?

Crushbone is great money for as long as you can stand it. Those belts are such a good income source.

At level 12, if you feel like soloing/duoing, steamfont near the Minotaur caves, or the 4 Minotaur spawn near the lfay zone in is crazy good money for low levels. Minotaur axes sell for 3p9g, and they drop gems that sell for anywhere from 4s to 20p. Drakes/Earth Elementals/Harpies(near the Minotaur cave) all drop gems too.

That's what I did, and I made a ton of cash.

I have a level 17 Mage named Innernette. Hit me up when you get a little higher if you want to wreck some stuff with pets.

edit: also go do the Stein of Moggok quest. Easy 300pp. Also a great item for you.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 24, 2015

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Someone buy me a circlet of shadow before velious nerfs it.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
So I've been playing a ranger on Blue for a week, but since I put all my points into STA I'm considering remaking him with STR or DEX instead. As I'm only nearly 7, should I do this?

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Anarch posted:

So I've been playing a ranger on Blue for a week, but since I put all my points into STA I'm considering remaking him with STR or DEX instead. As I'm only nearly 7, should I do this?

At level 7 I'd say yes. It's not really that much play time to get back to 7, and you're never going to forget that you spent the points in STAM instead of STR or DEX. It probably wouldn't be that huge of a difference long run, at 60 with Velious gear you'll be fine yad yada yada, but it makes something of a difference, and you're catching it early.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009
I thought STA was typically the way to go?? STR and DEX are a lot easier to boost with items.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
fotwen that stinks about the pk and like I said on other thread if ya wanna just chill with us hard with our group (clr sk enc nec dru) and level up with us that'd be cool. could just grab groups at all the other less used dungeons and just hang hard. I'll he playing more now that hs baseball season is done

anyone on red hit up yawn/snore if you need any help /plvling

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

I'm back on blue on my lvl 16 ranger named Maed. Anyone wanna group or sell me a silver swiftblade or woodsman's staff?

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

the last signal... posted:

I thought STA was typically the way to go?? STR and DEX are a lot easier to boost with items.

Yeah it is. I am not sure who told him what, but whoever it was was wrong. Also, there is practically no reason whatsoever to use starting points in DEX as it is nearly worthless in EQ. STR is useful, but easy as hell to raise, so that leaves STA. Save yourself the trouble, Anarch, and keep the Ranger with STA so you don't wish you had later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Maed posted:

I'm back on blue on my lvl 16 ranger named Maed. Anyone wanna group or sell me a silver swiftblade or woodsman's staff?

Hey Mead, just grouped with ya in unrest. Tibmit.

• Locked thread