Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Bumblefuck! posted:

My sister just went back to visit Frankie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC3TNKebUXo

Turns out she's still a weird, noisy little gremlin

Is Frankie still in possession of The Precious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Dad story got me all misty :unsmith: There is something to really appreciate about a parent who really tries.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

kannonfodder posted:

I love how dogs will accept any animal as one of their own.

Yeah it's great when you click one on of those '25 unlikely animal friends' links and like half of them are dog/other animal friendships.

Foal wants a hug:
http://i.imgur.com/SARrk1w.gifv

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

kinmik posted:

"'Sup?"

It's not new, but I saw this again and I can't help but just delight in the expression of unbridled glee on this kid's face.

His name is Tootoo and he's number 22. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtw09TPTn1A

TURN UP THE SOUND

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bumblefuck! posted:

Frankie is awesome :allears:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

hahaha who the gently caress is making all of these costumes

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

casual poster posted:

hahaha who the gently caress is making all of these costumes

Whoever owns Crusoe, I guess.

And, truly, they are doing the lord's work.

I love the vid with the sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znM9YD2J3Cw

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

I guess you can say she...

Paid a duck bill

*throws on shades*

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
No she was just a victim...

of fowl play

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
She really should've taken a gander at her purse there.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Quit goosing around you three and post cute pics and stories of more awesome dads.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you
http://youtu.be/35T8wtmTbVg

Terrible FB share but I'd still like to spend my lunch in a glass box with kittens.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Birb Katter posted:

Quit goosing around you three and post cute pics and stories of more awesome dads.

Cute, but where's their fathers?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Black Swans maybe?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Die Laughing posted:

Cute, but where's their fathers?

They get those after they lose their fluff

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
Not the usual type of content for the thread but if anybody here hasn't heard of "The Button" On reddit it's a really interesting thing going on. People are calling it a social experiment even though nobody is really sure what it is. It is a timer counting down from 60 seconds. Every time someone pushes The Button the timer resets to 60.

It has been going on since April 1st and has never reached zero. Only Reddit accounts made before the button was created can push the button. Which means there's a limited number or people who can push it and the timer WILL run out eventually. But how long will it take? How many Pushers are there? Some people are abstaining from pushing altogether because they want to see what happens when the timer runs out.

There are little colored flair on reddit to signify at what time was left on the timer when you pushed the button. So for some it has become a game. Who can get the lowest number? Who can let the clock drop tantalizingly low before they click? But with hundreds clicking, it is not an easy task.
There are sites to monitor The Button. People have made videos talking about the psychology behind it, written songs, and stories, and made art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KORDUhA50M

I find it all so interesting.

I have not pushed The Button yet. I am waiting for when pushers are sparse. Maybe I can keep it going just one minute more.

The question is: Will you be a pusher?

https://www.reddit.com/r/thebutton/

http://jamesrom.github.io/

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bumblefuck! posted:

That's a rude thing to say about your sister.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

My earlier post, to be fair, only really scratched the surface of some of the things my dad experienced; He really did have a full life, and, in his own words, cherished every moment he was awake, because, in part, it meant he was thumbing his nose at Death.

For example, sure, he had to take 17 pills, twice daily, simply to stay alive, but all that meant for him was maintaining a schedule; Every morning, he'd get up, get dressed, have a bowl of cornflakes, and use the leftover milk to wash down his pills.
Look behind him, and you can see the Array of pill bottles;

That old cat, by the by, was a bit of a moocher; when Dad first had protease inhibitors added to his pill regieme, he changed his schedule to what I mentioned above; until that point in time, he had gotten the pills ready after eating, only to turn around and see the Old Witch nose-deep in his bowl, drinking his milk. He ended up with a glass of water that day. The following morning, he got his pills ready first, and gave her the leftover milk once he had his share to wash the pills down. So, that's pretty much how my dad dealt with the pets; much like unruly children, he'd be patient and allow some behaviour to slide, but he'd adjust and lay down the law when need be. The fact that the cat sat and waited for him to get up from the table also helped their relationship.

As a side note, I got the Old witch when I was 4 years old; she had a permanent kink in her tail (door slammed on it in a windstorm), and a scarred eye that she couldn't see out of (flying straw in another storm), but she had 18 years, and around 6 litters of kittens that were distributed to friends and family. She also purred like a car with a missing spark plug, and could open any door that used a latch, inside the house.

Dad was never a heavy-set person; his heaviest weight, including that woolen jacket you can see in the above image, was 155 pounds; and, as a side effect of the various pills, he had to deal with lipodistrophy, which effectively skeletonized his face and upper arms; he almost-literally had popeye arms, in that his forearms and hands were normally-proportioned, but his biceps and triceps, while defined, were so slim that I could use one hand to encircle his upper arm. Didn't stop him from slinging around 60-pound haybales like they were nothing, until the late 90's, when his elbows were replaced. (The bones had become so damaged by joint bleeds at that point that the 'head' of the radius and ulna were the thickness of your average pencil)

Anyhow, I wanted to share some of the more-interesting stories he had in his life; as he lived through the proper advent of what's now modern rock, he tended to listen and absorb music like a sponge; when 'House of the Rising Sun' became a hit, while he was still living in the Rocky Mountains, he and his brother hiked up the side of the mountain nearest Pentiction, B.C., with a battery-powered radio, which was reasonably expensive kit at the time. with the pair having sat down on a boulder around halfway up the mountain, high enough for clear radio signals, my dad and his brother cycled through eighteen stations, and listened to House of the Rising Sun, from start to finish, 17 times. It's almost like radios back then had nothing to play.

When he was 15, he got to visit Vienna with his family. In that time, he purchased a gallon jug of good wine, and, in his own words, 'Met a great many interesting people at the various consulates, shared drinks with several, and was exposed to culture and history that left a deep and abiding interest in histories of the world' He still managed to finish the wine, to boot.

He also ended up with Scurvy when he was going to university. As a rule of thumb, if your food budget is 2$ a day, even before 1970, you simply won't get enough fruits and vegetables in your system to keep you hale and hearty. To be fair, he also got married both times he went to university, which is the reason my (half-)sister is 13 years my senior.

Interesting story about her, too; Dad fought, and won custody of my sister because her mother was, well, very heavy into the 'alternative lifestyle' choices of the 70's (drugs, partying, holistic medicine, etc.), and the court ruled in his favour as my sister had been rendered dreadfully ill by her mother's neglect. However, my dad, at the time, couldn't care for his daughter, as he was newly-divorced, and in rather dire financial and emotional straits; so, he proposed to the court that, if she assented, his mother could care for his daughter. And that's the story of how my sister is also my aunt; she was adopted by my grandmother.

A more-recent story, also related to music, was probably the only time my dad blew his stack at someone, and the reason why he deeply loathes the song 'Hotel California'. While he was again at university, some 5 years after the first run, one of the tenants in the rooming house he lived in would stay up all day and night, higher than a kite, with that song on repeat, on maximum volume, such that you could hear it at the opposite end of the building. Through headphones. Now imagine trying to get slome sleep at 2 AM when the refrain starts and you can hear Every. Single. Word. Like it's being shouted into your ear.

The day that tenant moved out was probably the happiest day of that boarding house's life.

I have more stories to relate, but I think this is a good run for the time being; I'd like to hear your own awesome dad stories, too.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

drrockso20 posted:

There's a biographical comic about Andre The Giant and it's full of touching little moments

Here's a short video from the Princess Bride cast, shortly after Andre passed - everyone loved the guy and all he wanted was to be treated like a regular dude. Mandy Patinkin near the end got me a little misty, I won't give it away though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZg8XMdgX8Y

Geolicious posted:

Whoever owns Crusoe, I guess.

And, truly, they are doing the lord's work.

I love the vid with the sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znM9YD2J3Cw

Oh my god, the related videos with a compilation of a TON more...I love the little ramps they built so the dogs can get on the beds and stuff :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xds8pp3ASk

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Apr 25, 2015

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The joys of parenthood :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

WHO IS loving WITH MY.... oh it's my kid..... carry on :sigh:

:3:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dog eats bee, turns into cartoon dog.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The angriest kitten

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
We let the chickens out to free range two weeks ago. Last weekend we got more than two feet of snow. Candace does not like it. When I sat down, she got out of the snow.

Candace Doesn't Like Snow by torgeaux, on Flickr

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

It keeps meowing as it sticks it's face in the food. "Meow meow meomrfmm mfwmmmm"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

Dog eats bee, turns into cartoon dog.

Bees! :argh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I really hate to be THAT person but just leave the drat cat alone.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Sure, it's cute when they're young, but there's nothing sadder than a fat old cat who growls constantly at you when you go over to your invalid Gramma's house to feed it, even when it's choking down the Fancy Feast.

I mean, I still laughed, but both that cat and my Gramma's need to realize they're getting fed and also overreacting.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sel Nar posted:

awesome dad stories

I've posted about this awhile ago, but I put together a thread some time back that was about my awesome grandfather. After the thread retired I pulled them together into a blog. My fiancee illustrated the posts. I still miss my grandpa (Poppa Lou) like crazy, and every holiday season I'll return to the blog and post more things. This was the first post: https://hannukahharry.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/hannukah-harry-a-primer/

and everything else can be found here.

https://hannukahharry.wordpress.com/

Check it out if you want more "cool dad stuff", cause hey he was still my dad's dad.

mick ohio
Sep 24, 2007

So I says to Mabel, I says...

Sel Nar posted:

I have more stories to relate, but I think this is a good run for the time being; I'd like to hear your own awesome dad stories, too.

Please start a Dad Story thread! I want to read more!

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

mick ohio posted:

Please start a Dad Story thread! I want to read more!

I wouldn't know where to start, to be honest. Dad had a huge amount of stories from his life experiences, or having some related to him (Like the time his Uncle Gordon decided to clean out the farm's outhouse with a 1-kilo coffee can full of black powder, instead of using a shovel. Needless to say, things went ~UP~ instead of Sideways like he predicted), and while I like to think of myself as a decent wordsmith, I really can't do justice to the way my Dad was such a figure in my life.

Though, considering his reaction to being told he had 6 months to live, a short anecdote;

"Hey, honey, my doctor told me I have six months to live."
"Really? When did he tell you that?"
"Seven months ago."

Your Poppa sounds like a Best Dad; someone who'd move heaven and earth for the sake of family, and for the sake of making you smile. I would have loved to have met him.

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
I just got caught up on this thread, and wanted to contribute another “Badass but Uplifting Wrestler” to the mix, Mick Foley.

If you’re unfamiliar with wrestling, Foley is considered an industry legend for his on-screen antics, as well as his extremely high pain threshold and tolerance levels.

But he’s also a nice guy, known for his philanthropy, and devotion to Tori Amos’ music as well as Christmas.

He wrote about this in Slate magazine, but Tori Amos’ song “Winter” wrecked him from the first listen, claiming it was “the most beautiful song I had ever heard.” Fifteen years later, he got to meet Tori at the San Diego Comic Con and described the meeting like this:

“I was about 10 feet from her when she looked over, got up from her chair, and extended both her arms. ‘I can hug you?’ I asked, disbelieving. And then Tori put her arms around me. Though I probably outweigh her by 200 pounds, I felt like an innocent child in the arms of an angel. Laugh if you want, but this is how I remember it—I was a child, and she was an angel.”

Through Tori, Mick got involved with the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN). He started with financial donations, but soon took their training course to be an online counselor. Under an anonymous screenname, he would stay at his computer all through the night, while his wife slept, trying to help people who had begun their conversation with the words “Tell me why I should live.” (Paraphrased from an interview he did on Roddy Piper’s podcast.)

He even went so far as to start an annual donation drive and auction, once offering to mow the lawn, with a push mower, of anyone who contributed $5,000.

Eventually, he cut back on his work with RAINN, due to the emotional toll of counseling, and because he got wind that Tori had said “Tell Mick, he’s done enough.” But he still contributes. Realizing that the auction excluded people who couldn’t pay lots of money, he changed it to a yearly raffle, where anyone who contributed $5 got a one “ticket” chance to be Mick’s VIP guest to that year’s Wrestlemania.

But mick also has a love of Christmas, especially Santa Claus. This past year, he and Morgan Spurlock produced a documentary, I Am Santa Claus, which chronicles a year in the life of people who dress up and play “mall Santas” each December. (Trailer: https://youtu.be/AuBbmJckcrM). Foley also gets into the spirit by doing it himself – learning the art of how to be Santa, to the point where he can do it incognito. Even to the point of going on a Christmas themed episode of WWE Raw, getting hit by a car, and fooling the audience - until he pulls out one of his signature moves from his in-ring character, “Mankind.”

https://youtu.be/CRx2I8gUx50
https://youtu.be/Vfg5WeTM1fg

TL;DR – Mick Foley looks scary, and should be dead, but is one of the nicest, most uplifting wrestlers.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Sel Nar posted:

Your Poppa sounds like a Best Dad; someone who'd move heaven and earth for the sake of family, and for the sake of making you smile. I would have loved to have met him.

He truly was. My biggest disappointment is that my fiancee will never get to meet him and vice versa. Her providing the stroies with the illustrations though has been a really awesome way to build a connection to him and sometimes I even forget that they haven't met. It's a distant second to the real thing, but it's still a second :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Workout buddy
http://i.imgur.com/04GEDxU.webm

• Locked thread