Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diabl0658 posted:

Dont take blood on a pretender for a blood nation, its a waste of points unless you want a blood bless. Try a regular lich with astral and death magic.

Except it's Ulm and you don't have blood+death on anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Blood is cheap to empower into though, 50 slaves isnt much compared to 50 gems

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ulm HAS to take blood on a pretender. Also as Ulm you're totally happy to patrol your cap if that starts your vamp engine early. GET THAT ENGINE ONLINE

Seriously there is no good reason to not take blood on your god, you have Black Priests to make your armies invincible in the early midgame and you want to be rolling in vampires and thralls ASAP otherwise.

Source: I have won every game I've played as LA Ulm

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 25, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Diabl0658 posted:

For the price it costs to empower enough to summon vamps you could have 2 vamps.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Oh yeah i keep forgetting they have vampires at blood 0. Please listen to people that are not me.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Diabl0658 posted:

Cheap or not, it's still a significant delay on mass vampire summons.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The great wall of Lemur is complete!

None shall pass!

(if only I could build underwater forts)

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Get a nature mage, theres a nature spell that grows a kelp fort in an underwater province.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

My big fight (EA, Agharta vs Mictlan) finally happened... and he won. :(

He had lots of buffed Jaguars, as I already knew.

My blade winds did decent damage but weren't enough to stop him, and my great Olms even divided in four groups usually attacked the same targets (his group of foul spawns and after his MR16 Ozelots mosly). I had a pair of spell scripting mistakes (typical) and in the previous turn I forgot to change the use of gems so I blew off the few gems I had which I had planned to use in this battle against a smaller enemy.
The worst wasn't losing my summons and melee troops, I can recover from that (and I killed 140 jaguars, which is also a noticeable loss for him). The worst was seeing my big group of Olms attacking once their 10 shots were spent. All my frontline was erased, but even then the rout didn't trigger so they went forward, and died. 110 of them. Against a stronger and more numerous enemy. :S

Which thinking about it, it was my mistake of recruiting so many, I should have done 30% less Olms and 30% more melee troops, precisely because they were so many the general retreat didn't trigger.

It was a long fight, he casted Rain in turn 3 and the rain stopped before the fight ended.

Still, now I have Maws of the Earth, and I didn't lose mages. Maybe I can still recover from the loss with that...

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Chairman Pow! posted:

I will be the pretender. Pool of blood looks tempting, but I have always heard you shouldn't blood hunt in your capital. It looks like I want a rainbow mage to get blood/death/astral plus some growth scales to support my blood economy

Other people have given good advice but just a heads up disciples game are big on early aggression. Yes you want BD to get the vampire engine started asap but you should probably get those paths on a combat chasis and leave the dormant immobile scales build to a nation on your team who needs the least help protecting themselves from invasion. You also want to be planning ahead of time what globals your team will contest, and probably set yourself up to cast them since your rp on LA Ulm will be insane as the game proceeds.

You can get a D3B3W7 dog of the underworld, which would be my choice for vampires + casting VW with your insane rp. Cast VW early enough and convince everyone to leave LA Ulm alone = you win. That's just one example, but I'd pair that kind of strategy with LA Atlantis instead of midgard so you know you'll have the W income to overcast it heavily.

Anyways the easiest way to lose as Ulm is to go greedy for endgame and not have a plan to deal with, like, dual bless Mictlan Atlantis team rushing you after year 1.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Holy crap you guys, thank you so much for all the awesome advice! I will definitely go disciple and let Midgard go for an asleep with good scales for us.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Boing posted:

None shall pass!

Gee, if only someone else had noticed that you had about 1000 forts going up and helped attacked you while you were still weak. That would have been great. :smithicide:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Slaan posted:

Gee, if only someone else had noticed that you had about 1000 forts going up and helped attacked you while you were still weak. That would have been great. :smithicide:

Good news, forts don't really make lemurs that much stronger anyway.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

RIP Snakes

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Boing posted:

None shall pass!

While I disapprove of your choice of nations, I do approve of fortspam. :colbert:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

I do approve of fortspam. :colbert:

Same.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slaan posted:

Yeah i mean the counter to this is still "temple your provinces" im not really sure why anyone cares about Lemurs building forts

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Was the f9s9 jaguar bless tailored toward killing me, Lemuria, specifically?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

No. I went F9 for the bless and S9 for wishes if I survived to late game. I went after you because gently caress Lemuria/Ermor.

I Love You! posted:

Yeah i mean the counter to this is still "temple your provinces" im not really sure why anyone cares about Lemurs building forts

Taking Lemuria's provinces are a pain in the rear end without forts. There are no supplies there and no rewards for doing it. With a fort on it, it makes taking it even worse because you have to stick an army to knock down the door. And because of the free pop spawn, there are almost certainly troops inside the fort, so you can't just leave a small force of militias sitting there as they will get wrecked. Taking Lemuria on in a war goes from lovely to really, really lovely.

VVV That.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 25, 2015

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Having actually played a game against fort-spam Lemuria to completion it sounds like you all are seriously under-estimating how much breaking through freespawn fortspam is going to suck. Unless he can be ignored and the necessary thrones claimed elsewhere.

Fortspam with domkill nations isn't a strategy for breaking your opponents' armies. It breaks their will to continue playing the game. Which is really what playing Lemuria/Ermor is all about

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Slaan posted:

All of the forts in the world won't help him attack his neighbors effectively though. He will have a really lovely line of stuff that separates the map and only a madman would try to go through it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

All of the forts in the world won't help him attack his neighbors effectively though.
Yeah other than all that freespawn and stuff.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

It's not good though.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It isn't. I'd rate it as "bad".

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Yeah other than all that freespawn and stuff.

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

It's not good though.

Wrap it up domkillailures

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ghosts don't have a siege penalty which makes it really irritating to breach unless you're playing as LA Agartha with tons of sappers or have a gigantic doomball of demons.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They can also summon poo poo-loads of shadows/shades/shadebeasts and sneak them into whatever forts you're besieging. Or just sneak in mages and summon them in right under your feet.

Good luck!

edit: I think shadows have poo poo strength, so they're not very good at rebuilding walls.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 26, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Don't attack lemur land then jesus christ this isn't even hard, don't attack them. Just dompush. Who cares if their forts are hard to take DONT ATTACK THEM. They are bad and once you have research their thugs are useless just loving stand there until they go away

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Getting them to leave is the hard part and Lemur's dominion tends to be to high compared to other nations. Especially if they own a few thrones.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Getting them to leave is the hard part and Lemur's dominion tends to be to high compared to other nations. Especially if they own a few thrones.

You don't want them to leave. Why would you want them to leave? That doesn't even make sense. I'm not sure what people aren't getting. Lemur has no blood sac in LA, an age of massive blood. They can be surrounded with temples and priests and their dom won't spread. Lemur does NOT have a particularly great domscore typically because they have to take a bless/awake god to do anything, and having a high score does shitall anyway unless you are stubbornly refusing to build temples and priests, in which case it's 100% your fault for getting run over.

A few mages with anti-undead spells and they can't even expand through brute force. Every player just keeps temples up on their border and waits for them to die, JUST LIKE WITH A WATER NATION. If you have somehow let them balloon out of control that is entirely due to really bad play decisions on top of enormous mistakes.

Lemur are hands-down one of the weakest nations, if not the weakest, in the game and have massive exploitable handicaps but if you absolutely refuse to build temples around them and leave them alone you can certainly lose through sheer force of will.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 26, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

They can't preach with undeads either so unless they get a high priest, the best they can do is make h1 priests for 60g and try to preach with those.

It is a nation that will unironically spam telestic animates someplace to try and avoid losing their dominion on a thing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's because you want their thrones and it's not easy preaching through their temples and forts since they have literally nothing else to spend money on.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

It's because you want their thrones and it's not easy preaching through their temples and forts since they have literally nothing else to spend money on.

Yes it is because preach is focused and temples are not. With a decent number of h2s you can preach a province from black candle dom10 to your dom in a couple turns.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

amuayse posted:

Maybe don't let them grab enough thrones early on to make a difference? Also preaching is much stronger than temples as is blood sac so no theres no way they have enough temple checks to press their dom if you are paying attention past the very early game. And they can't even preach so they're hella hosed.

Like I count 23 temples in that map posted, that is loving kid's stuff and there's no way you can't outpreach/temple/blood sac that poo poo especially considering they are surrounded on all sides by people. If Lemuria (who has an almost nonexistent income) can build 20 forts you definitely can have build up a good body of temples by that point.

I mean it's possible it's too late to do poo poo about it so unless some blood nation rises up and takes over maybe you should just bow down to ghostly leaders.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 26, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

what is blood sac

I get that it has something to do with blood magic but

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I Love You! posted:

Maybe don't let them grab enough thrones early on to make a difference?

People don't want to fight lemuria early game because its a losing strategy. You lose troops which cost gold and lemuria lost nothing. Thus, they don't stop Lemuria from expanding and Lemuria is able to grab a few thrones. Then, nobody wants to attack Lemuria because all the population is dead, there are forts everywhere and there are other enemies to deal with; Lemuria is free to pick off provinces from guys engaged in combat with others. Suddenly, Lemuria controls 1/5 thrones and needs to be dealth with, but is, again, really annoying to fight against. So the remaining one or two powers launch an assault on Lemuria. But as Lemuria has freespawn and forts, horrors don't do poo poo, thugs/SC taken provinces can be taken back quickly, and the billion ghosts in their castles mean you need to keep an army around to actually beat down the gate. An army which is now unable to guard your borders against the ghosts attacking broadly across your entire front, and which costs gems to upkeep via food items and battle magic to deal with all the ghosts.

Eventually the player gives up unless they do really well, because attacking Lemuria is terrible at all levels of the game. It has the same problem as the water nations- fighting it is a long, annoying slog that benefits absolutely nobody and which can be recovered from easily. Lemuria is weak on paper, but quite strong in the metagame because of normal player psychology. They don't win games, they just outlast them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Goons are amazing at being distracted by Lemuria while someone else wins the game.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I did win a game as Atlantis where I won by doing literally nothing but cap the thrones from AI players while all the other major powers tried to fight Lemuria due to an early Burden of Time. I didn't fight Lemuria at all and I was glad for that.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Slaan posted:

People don't want to fight lemuria early game because its a losing strategy. You lose troops which cost gold and lemuria lost nothing. Thus, they don't stop Lemuria from expanding and Lemuria is able to grab a few thrones. Then, nobody wants to attack Lemuria because all the population is dead, there are forts everywhere and there are other enemies to deal with; Lemuria is free to pick off provinces from guys engaged in combat with others. Suddenly, Lemuria controls 1/5 thrones and needs to be dealth with, but is, again, really annoying to fight against. So the remaining one or two powers launch an assault on Lemuria. But as Lemuria has freespawn and forts, horrors don't do poo poo, thugs/SC taken provinces can be taken back quickly, and the billion ghosts in their castles mean you need to keep an army around to actually beat down the gate. An army which is now unable to guard your borders against the ghosts attacking broadly across your entire front, and which costs gems to upkeep via food items and battle magic to deal with all the ghosts.

Eventually the player gives up unless they do really well, because attacking Lemuria is terrible at all levels of the game. It has the same problem as the water nations- fighting it is a long, annoying slog that benefits absolutely nobody and which can be recovered from easily. Lemuria is weak on paper, but quite strong in the metagame because of normal player psychology. They don't win games, they just outlast them.

I guess maybe this is what happens when all of the people playing are really, really bad at decision-making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

what is blood sac

I get that it has something to do with blood magic but

Priests of certain nations, notably EA Pangaea, EA LA Mictlan, at least one of the EA heims, and hilariously, Marverni, can sacrifice up to their holy level in blood slaves to in temples to produce an additional temple check per sacrifice, spreading your dominion. It's a must for Mictlan, as this is their only way to spread dom, and a massive boon for EA Pangaea, since between cheap temples and that ability, you can get ridiculous domspread going.

• Locked thread