Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

BraveUlysses posted:

row52.com buddy, use it!

also car-part.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

BraveUlysses posted:

nothing makes up for living in michigan

Fuckin a right

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

New brake lines just got here. Gonna have some "fun" swapping these in tomorrow and bleeding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hey too many tabs open...this was supposed to go here.

Yay Friday. Dropped off the VW for work so it sounds less absolutely terrible and have a boring Passat loaner. Wolfsburg edition whatever the hell that means, as far as I can tell it means badges and floor mats. Modern cars are so drat terrible.

Time for all you can eat tacos.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

For anyone that says Michigan is a hellhole I would counter that our lack of poisonous flora and fauna, destructive weather, earthquakes, and abundance of fresh water make up for the misery of snow six months out of the year

Speaking of snow, it snowed here and was 29º yesterday, today it's 60º and sunny :confuoot:

Conversely nothing makes up for the fact it's Michigan and the fact Australia is out to kill you just makes the fact this place is fantastic all the more special :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Raluek posted:

also car-part.com

car-part.com is awesome if you don't want to pull the parts yourself, I have to say. Prices are alright on occasion as well, I only paid 45 bucks for the complete headlight assembly I got for my car.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

For anyone that says Michigan is a hellhole I would counter that our lack of poisonous flora and fauna, destructive weather, earthquakes, and abundance of fresh water make up for the misery of snow six months out of the year

Speaking of snow, it snowed here and was 29º yesterday, today it's 60º and sunny :confuoot:

In CA we have rust free cars, even ones made by communists in Italy.

My mom got bit by a spider a few days ago though. She's an entomologist so I guess that's just a job hazard.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

My mom got bit by a spider a few days ago though. She's an entomologist so I guess that's just a job hazard.

How does that work? Aren't spiders not insects?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SperginMcBadposter posted:

New brake lines just got here. Gonna have some "fun" swapping these in tomorrow and bleeding.

What's with the crimped on thing in the middle of two of them?
Also thanks for reminding me. I forgot that I haven't done the rear hose for the Niva yet. The nut didn't want to budge so I walked away before I stripped it and ended up in a world of hurt. Got the other four done. More or less. They used these horrible things to lock the banjo bolts in place for the front hoses that required both brake lines for each caliper to be somehow held in the exact right place and the bolts rotated just right so their heads slipped into the 12 sided cutouts in the pressed metal thing. I just ended up getting the shits and bashing the locking things with a spanner until they kind of engaged the banjo bolts.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Raluek posted:

How does that work? Aren't spiders not insects?

They aren't but they hang out with a lot of insects. By which I mean try to eat them.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

General_Failure posted:

What's with the crimped on thing in the middle of two of them?

Slides into a clip to hold the hose.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Slides into a clip to hold the hose.

I was wondering. never seen one mid hose before. Usually it's some kind of bracket with a sleeve or grommet.

I'm trying to learn how to use Lightworks while I'm assembling a video using it on a deadline. How fun. I had to use OpenShot for the last one because it's so generic I figured it out no problem. Lightworks I found impenetrable until watching the quickstart video. It makes a lot of sense now I get the basics of how it functions. Also just discovered that I never installed flash. The video is for youtube and I needed to grab some of their royalty free "music" and discovered I couldn't play the tracks to see what they were like.

The free version of Lightworks is really good for a free product. Not perfect but has good features. It seems to have some memory leaks and hangs up for a while sometimes doing some unknown processing but it comes back if left for a minute or two.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just went to cop some dutches and got a silver dime back in my change! And my ex just texted me asking if I wanna be FWB. This weekend is off to a good start.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Well another attempt to quit smoking down the toliet. I'm starting to think I've got zero willpower whatsoever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Well another attempt to quit smoking down the toliet. I'm starting to think I've got zero willpower whatsoever.

Just have someone follow you around and smack the cigarettes out of your hand when you try to light one.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

OTOH here in the great lakes region we don't have to worry about where our next glass of water or shower is going to come from...

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

1500quidporsche posted:

I wish that addiction was simply a matter of willpower; however, it isn't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances and, like other addictions, it takes dealing with both the physical and psychological dependencies as you wait for your brain to return to normal.

-- an addiction & recovery educator and counselor-in-training who has kicked other substances but still smokes. Last year I stopped for six months, even.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Someone should invent a device that shocks you in the balls every time you light up. You'd quit then i bet.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Arriviste posted:

I wish that addiction was simply a matter of willpower; however, it isn't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances and, like other addictions, it takes dealing with both the physical and psychological dependencies as you wait for your brain to return to normal.

-- an addiction & recovery educator and counselor-in-training who has kicked other substances but still smokes. Last year I stopped for six months, even.

(feel free to take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional.)

I quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago. Tried many times before and failed. The reason why I succeeded this time was because I had a reason to not smoke that was greater than my reason to smoke. It sucked for the 2 or 3 weeks where I had mad craving for a cigarette but when you start thinking "no, I can't smoke because of X" then you stop thinking "ah one more ain't gonna hurt, I can always try harder tomorrow."

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

I quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago. Tried many times before and failed. The reason why I succeeded this time was because I had a reason to not smoke that was greater than my reason to smoke. It sucked for the 2 or 3 weeks where I had mad craving for a cigarette but when you start thinking "no, I can't smoke because of X" then you stop thinking "ah one more ain't gonna hurt, I can always try harder tomorrow."

If you don't mind me asking what was the reason not to smoke?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I had to guess it would be not dying of some horrible health condition brought on by smoking.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

MustardFacial posted:

Aye, cold turkey is the only method that has worked for me, too, (my personal record is four years.) You're right: remembering what you value more than the relief of another cigarette (or drink or hit or pill) is key. I eventually forget how much I ended up hating my habit and how much work it took to get through the worst of it. This last quit I think I finally caved because I was gaining weight despite exercise and a sensible, well-tracked diet. I am terrified of getting heavy. Vain & stupid, I know.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

leica posted:

Jesus, gently caress that. People here freak out over harmless Black Racers, they would have meltdowns over those things here.

I was actually kind of surprised of this in the wiki article:

quote:

As this species tends to initiate their defence with non-fatal bites, the untreated mortality rate in most snakebite cases reported is 10–20%, which is not very high.

I thought for sure you're a dead person without treatment, but i guess in defense mode they don't give you a full dose, interesting.

Its all to do with how energy consuming it is to produce venom- it takes an enormous amount of energy to produce venom, so if you blow all your venom by dumping it into some spanner who doesnt know when to stop pissing off the angry snake then the next time you nail a mouse for food you might not have enough venom to actually kill the mouse and it escapes, which means you go hungry, which means you dont have the energy to produce venom and the cycle goes around and around until you starve to death. They also have TINY fangs- like 2-3mm long, so they wont even penetrate a pair of jeans if they bite you.

This being Australia tho, theres always something out there that doesnt play by those rules. Take the Mulga Snake for example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis

THESE bastards will bite you (sometimes without provocation too, they have been reported to bite people in their sleep!) and then just pump venom into you until they run dry.

The wetness is all venom, aussie snakes dont drool.

And they grow huge.

That one measured in at 221cm, or over 7'

And then theres the inland taipan. We've got two of these as pets at work in the Wildlife Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_taipan

Get bitten by that fucker more than an hr or so from hospital, better start to write your will. They have the most toxic venom of ANY snake in the world and one full envenomation will deliver enough venom to kill 250,000 mice or 100 men. Evolved to hunt warm blooded mammals in Australia and lives in the desert regions where you had to 110% make sure whatever you bit didnt gently caress off before you could eat it.

They're really cool, inquisitive and chill snakes. Its only if you do something dumb like step on one that your going to regret it.

Ive spent a fair bit of time doing work with the reptiles at work (mostly the maintenance on their enclosures) and could rabbit on for hours about them- australia has some of the coolest reptiles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just went to cop some dutches and got a silver dime back in my change! And my ex just texted me asking if I wanna be FWB. This weekend is off to a good start.

This can only end in tears...

....go for it.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Yay, snakes! :neckbeard: Here in W. KY the worst ones, IMO, are Copperheads because they can be unnecessarily aggro. Any other snake that I can verify as non-venomous and looks torpid is going to get picked up by me, when I'm fast enough.

Many years ago I was shooting photos on a hike and didn't see the Copperhead warming himself amongst leaves on the trail until I felt something hit the heel of my boot. I looked down behind me and Br'er Copperhead was coiled and puffy. I stood very still (and took a picture of him/her) then waitied for it to settle down and move away. This was before I had a cell phone and I was on the back end of the trail loop and the only person around. Gah.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Ferremit posted:

Ive spent a fair bit of time doing work with the reptiles at work (mostly the maintenance on their enclosures) and could rabbit on for hours about them- australia has some of the coolest reptiles.

Oh man, please do! Reptiles are my poo poo, and I love learning about new stuff.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
When 14" was driving with us on highway 35 there was a cloud of webs spun between the treetops crossing over the road. I have never seen something like that before but I'm convinced the spiders knew he was there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Das Volk posted:

When 14" was driving with us on highway 35 there was a cloud of webs spun between the treetops crossing over the road. I have never seen something like that before but I'm convinced the spiders knew he was there.

At two separate points of our route, no less!

Magical :3:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Could that have been webworms instead of spiders?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Arriviste posted:

Could that have been webworms instead of spiders?

It was a crisscross of a few thick stringers across the road overhead, not a thick matting like those worms make. I guess it's possible, but it didn't look like that to me.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Raluek posted:

It was a crisscross of a few thick stringers across the road overhead, not a thick matting like those worms make. I guess it's possible, but it didn't look like that to me.

Oh, wow! That would be creepy-cool.

I forgot that I have some film macro shots of webworms online: album

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Moving on.

I think I'm figuring out the deal with low-rolling-resistance tires. A few weeks ago I got a 2015 Focus with the N/A 2.0 and a 5-speed... Unless I make an effort to keep it conservative, I basically can't pull off from a stop without doing a burnout. Like that poo poo happens all the time without even trying. I mean seriously, 160 horsepower used to be a lot, sure, but this is supposed to be a quiet efficient commuter, dammit. Whatever advantage the harder rubber may have had in terms of tread life is loving gone. That's without any opportunity to see what it can do in some curves, too, cause there really isn't a decent driving road in my area. Do summer tires generally get worse tread life than normal all-seasons, or does that just depend on the particular tires, the particular car and your foot?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Friar Zucchini posted:

Moving on.

I think I'm figuring out the deal with low-rolling-resistance tires. A few weeks ago I got a 2015 Focus with the N/A 2.0 and a 5-speed... Unless I make an effort to keep it conservative, I basically can't pull off from a stop without doing a burnout. Like that poo poo happens all the time without even trying. I mean seriously, 160 horsepower used to be a lot, sure, but this is supposed to be a quiet efficient commuter, dammit. Whatever advantage the harder rubber may have had in terms of tread life is loving gone. That's without any opportunity to see what it can do in some curves, too, cause there really isn't a decent driving road in my area. Do summer tires generally get worse tread life than normal all-seasons, or does that just depend on the particular tires, the particular car and your foot?

The transmission on the focuses seem to be chirp happy early in their lives, by about 4000 miles or so you either get used to not flat footing it or it adjusts how it applies power.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've got Azenis on my Miata and they actually don't wear too bad for a summer tire. On the flip side, I got a set of Kuhmo summer tires for the HHR and they wore out WAY faster than I expected. Not getting those again.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

The transmission on the focuses seem to be chirp happy early in their lives, by about 4000 miles or so you either get used to not flat footing it or it adjusts how it applies power.
You mean the manual manual, or the automatic manual? I made a point to stay the gently caress away from the DCT, plus I get the theft deterrent effect of three pedals.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

T1g4h posted:

Oh man, please do! Reptiles are my poo poo, and I love learning about new stuff.

Alright!

Continuing on the theme of "Australias full of poo poo thats going to kill you if you fart in the wrong direction", the Common Death Adder.

Again, because Australia, its one of the most venemous land snakes in the world, but its not related to the European Adder- those are vipers, these are members of the Elapid family, which is only found in Australia and the surrounding islands (like New Guinea)

They really are the gooniest of all the snakes too, Short, Fat, lazy. They will literally spend their entire life underneath one shrub if they dont have any need to move- there was a PHD student a few years ago that was doing their thesus on the death adder and ended up having to choose another species of snake because the one adder he DID find, moved less than 500mm in 6 months of daily study. Death adders hunt by deception- they have a rapidly tapering tail which is often white and heavily segmented, kinda like a big grub.

Theyre masters of camoflage and have very good eyesight, so they cover themselves in leaves and just sit there waiting for something to wander by, then start to wiggle their tail like a grub on the surface. A bird or a small mammal will see that and go investigate it looking for a meal and then the snake strikes, with one of the fastest strikes of all the australian snakes- we had one for a venemous animal awareness course and its strike is faster than the eye can see.

If you get bitten by these, your really loving unlucky or your rooting around under bushes or leaves barehanded, which is just stupid in australia in the first place.

Its always fun to look at the list of snakes and see just how many australian ones rank highly in the "Going to gently caress you up" lists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dangerous_snakes#Most_venomous

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

OTOH here in the great lakes region we don't have to worry about where our next glass of water or shower is going to come from...

You like eating things that aren't corn? Then you should worry too.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

If you don't mind me asking what was the reason not to smoke?

Long story short: I love my wife more than I love to smoke.

I'll tell the full story later if people are interested. I hate phone posting.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 25, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

car-part.com is awesome if you don't want to pull the parts yourself, I have to say. Prices are alright on occasion as well, I only paid 45 bucks for the complete headlight assembly I got for my car.

There are some pretty badass we-pull junkyards out there. The guys I bought the Lexus diff from (found via car-part) actually popped the cover to verify ratio and check the condition of the teeth and stuff (and RTV'd it back on- though they used the red stuff) before they took my cc# and shipped it out, and it only cost $20 more than the local PNP charges for one.

Pulled a Makita 9005 out of the scrap bin at work today, only needs a cord and brushes. I love free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

This can only end in tears...

....go for it.
Free lube!

leica posted:

I've got Azenis on my Miata and they actually don't wear too bad for a summer tire. On the flip side, I got a set of Kuhmo summer tires for the HHR and they wore out WAY faster than I expected. Not getting those again.
Tire wear is heavily dependent on vehicle weight, not just treadwear rating. I usually run stickier tires on small stuff because it lasts long and is a lot of fun.

• Locked thread