Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
One thing Rickenbacker has beyond just about anybody else is absolutely insane resale value. Disclosing all the issues I had, I still came within :10bux: of breaking even, I would have done even better but the first guy backed down so I contacted the fellow he beat out with a second chance ebay offer. Being willing to ship overseas helped, but it seemed silly that anyone would pay more for a used instrument than the same thing NIB.

I'd almost consider nabbing a couple just to flip because apparently people have no idea what they cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hello all!

Building up my calluses and practicing everyday. I'm learning "Anesthesia-Pulling Teeth" in typical bass-metalhead fashion, and for the opening riffs, is it easier to move your fingers to hit each note individually or keep all your fingers pressed on the notes and just hit the strings? In general, when you guys play a song which do you do?

To put what I'm trying to say more clearly, say you have the following tab

-------------------------------
---------------------11-----
---------------------11------
-------------9----------------

Do you guys put your finger on 9, then eleven, then eleven, or do you put 3 fingers on all the frets then just use your right hand to play the riff?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

That depends on whether the notes are intended to all ring out or not. If the notes are all intended to ring out like a chord, then clamping your fingers on all the notes at the same time is the easiest way to go. If the notes are meant to be played individually, then they should be fretted individually.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

That depends on whether the notes are intended to all ring out or not. If the notes are all intended to ring out like a chord, then clamping your fingers on all the notes at the same time is the easiest way to go. If the notes are meant to be played individually, then they should be fretted individually.

That's what I kinda noticed in my playing but hearing it put into words helped. I was playing the bassline to Maggot Brain and noticed it sounded a lot better when all my fingers were clamped on all the notes, whereas in a song like Anesthesia Pulling Teeth the notes sound much better when they are played individually (in my opinion at least.) Thank you!

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Could someone recommend a amp head in the same range as a Fender Rumble 500 (the head unit)? The Fender seems to review good, but I'm having trouble Google-ing other products in the same price range/ capabilities range that might be superior or whatever. You guys know anything or perhaps a good site where I can locate this information?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PadreScout posted:

Could someone recommend a amp head in the same range as a Fender Rumble 500 (the head unit)? The Fender seems to review good, but I'm having trouble Google-ing other products in the same price range/ capabilities range that might be superior or whatever. You guys know anything or perhaps a good site where I can locate this information?

It's basically a Fender-branded Genz-Benz, since Fender bought them out.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
Yeah, I read the op, but in short, I'm picking up a bass, I already play guitar (6 string) but now I'm looking for a bass for mostly metal/rock music, will the ibanez in the OP be good enough to dick around with? also would be nice to have some other recommendations or advice on how much ideally someone should spend on their first bass.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I owned a GSR-200 for a few years and I never really felt limited by it or anything. In all honestly I upgraded primarily because I was sick of the color.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Epsilon Plus posted:

I owned a GSR-200 for a few years and I never really felt limited by it or anything. In all honestly I upgraded primarily because I was sick of the color.

but ibanez in general are a decent 'go to' then? If I don't get that one I can get something similar.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

itsjustdrew posted:

but ibanez in general are a decent 'go to' then? If I don't get that one I can get something similar.

I'm a Fender man. So my instinct is to tell you to buy a Fender, even if you're not interested in buying a bass.

But, of the instruments that I own that aren't Fender, I have two Ibanez: an acoustic bass guitar (because they make a cheap, good one), and a 5-string fretless Soundgear (because I wanted a fretless, I was 19, and the only one being sold at the only store I could shop at was an Ibanez Soundgeear 5-string fretless).

Since then, I've played a bunch of basses, and Ibanez makes a good quality instrument for a very affordable price. They have put the 6-string into the price range of just about anybody--when I was a kid, it was hard to find one for less than $1000, and that was 1990 dollars.

tl;dr: Ibanez is pretty good.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Ibanez now sells base model Soundgear basses with overseas-made Nordstrand pickups. I've been playing basses with Nords for almost ten years and I didn't know they weren't the normal deal MIA pickups until I got home from NAMM and read a press release. They're AWESOME.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
Great, I'll have a look around, I've played with ibanez guitars so it's a brand I trust if nothing else. Any thoughts on 4vs5 string?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Jonithen posted:

One thing Rickenbacker has beyond just about anybody else is absolutely insane resale value. Disclosing all the issues I had, I still came within :10bux: of breaking even, I would have done even better but the first guy backed down so I contacted the fellow he beat out with a second chance ebay offer. Being willing to ship overseas helped, but it seemed silly that anyone would pay more for a used instrument than the same thing NIB.

I'd almost consider nabbing a couple just to flip because apparently people have no idea what they cost.

Yes, it's crazy, and I don't understand it. The 4003 is a better made instrument than the 4001, and the electronics are easily retrograded for those who want that. I've had offers of up to 3 times the cost of a brandnew 4003 for my old 4001 and it's only a 70s model without the horsehoe.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

itsjustdrew posted:

Great, I'll have a look around, I've played with ibanez guitars so it's a brand I trust if nothing else. Any thoughts on 4vs5 string?

Slightly more expensive than the Ibanez but I have heard great things about the new Marcus Miller v7 by Sire.

As for 4v5 it's really just a preference thing mainly dependent on what styles of music you like. Just know that most 5 strings are 16-17mm spacing instead of the 19mm most 4 strings are.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Epsilon Plus posted:

I've been playing a GSR200 for like 4 years now and it's still OK. It took me a while to understand the active EQ thing and the best way to use the pickup volume controls, but it's been heaps of fun to play and learn on. I want to get something nicer, but that's got nothing to do with hating this instrument. That said, and although I like the shape, it's the plainest looking thing, especially in black.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Sup bass thread, finally got my Christmas present in!

The strings on it are garbage sounding (even though they are Elixirs which I thought were supposed to be decent?) and the knobs could do with being replaced since they are plastic and ugly as hell, but otherwise I love this thing. It's super light compared to my other basses and I can do all that fancy guitar-ish stuff but still be playing a bass. Pretty happy with this bass, just need to scrap up some bucks between the bills to get a good set of strings. Probably will be getting the La Bella ones from bassstringsonline.com that are for the Fender VIs unless someone has a better suggestion, or any thoughts about strings really because I am totally dumb at them. I wouldn't mind a heavier gauge but I am not sure how well it would sit on this bass. Anyways, technical specs from the site if you're interested:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=2&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=58&color=CL01

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have these on my OLP MM5 (Musicman Silhouette copy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/olp-mm5-baritone-guitar):

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-2837-Slinky-6-string/dp/B0002DUVJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430061184&sr=8-2&keywords=bass+vI+strings

The reviews mention them not fitting on Fender-style Bass VIs, but they should fit on the Ibanez's 3x3 layout (no problem with the 4x2 on mine). The low end isn't as punchy as a full scale bass, but the strings don't feel floppy and they sound solid. The higher strings ring pretty clear for chord stuff as well.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

DrChu posted:

I have these on my OLP MM5 (Musicman Silhouette copy http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/olp-mm5-baritone-guitar):

http://www.amazon.com/Ernie-Ball-2837-Slinky-6-string/dp/B0002DUVJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1430061184&sr=8-2&keywords=bass+vI+strings

The reviews mention them not fitting on Fender-style Bass VIs, but they should fit on the Ibanez's 3x3 layout (no problem with the 4x2 on mine). The low end isn't as punchy as a full scale bass, but the strings don't feel floppy and they sound solid. The higher strings ring pretty clear for chord stuff as well.

I'm not exactly the best at stringing things and having a little bit of extra length might be useful to me... but they're also 8bux right now, so it's hard to lose with that price. I'm conflicted.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

EvilChameleon posted:

I'm not exactly the best at stringing things and having a little bit of extra length might be useful to me... but they're also 8bux right now, so it's hard to lose with that price. I'm conflicted.

The issue with the Fender-style Bass VIs is the extra length needed because of the bridge/tailpiece setup. Since you've got a string-through bridge that wouldn't be a factor.

The only issue I had with mine was the .090 E string was a tight fit, but it did fit. Since your guitar was intended to be E-e from the start it is probably not an issue.

And yes, the $8 price point does make them at lot less a gamble than the &30+ Labellas.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So I'm trying to play stoner doom bass in an Electric Wizard/Sleep style.

I'm using a Mark Bass amp and an OKKO Diablo pedal. How do I turn all the dials to get that doomy, deep fuzz sound but still have note clarity? It seems it just always ends up clipping, how do I prevent that?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Kvlt! posted:

So I'm trying to play stoner doom bass in an Electric Wizard/Sleep style.

I'm using a Mark Bass amp and an OKKO Diablo pedal. How do I turn all the dials to get that doomy, deep fuzz sound but still have note clarity? It seems it just always ends up clipping, how do I prevent that?

Are you using a bass with active electronics? Cause that into an overdrive into the front of an amp may be a little too hot. Not that I really know what to do because I play everything into a 25W practice amp, but turning down your Active EQ/amp gain might help? EQ wise I recommend taking out what you don't want but not adding too much, by which I mean: turn down highs a decent bit, only turn down mids a little, and only turn lows up by one or two notches.

The settings on your bass as well as where and how hard you play are a big part of it too I think, because these are most directly influencing the signal going into your pedal (unless it's in an FX loop I suppose). I try to turn my bass and fuzz pedal to levels where, if I pluck a string in my normal fashion, the note only juuust breaks up a little, and then when I want really fuzzy I play much harder. Playing closer to the bridge will also add to note clarity I think.

I hope something here is useful to you!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

FiestaNinja posted:

Are you using a bass with active electronics? Cause that into an overdrive into the front of an amp may be a little too hot. Not that I really know what to do because I play everything into a 25W practice amp, but turning down your Active EQ/amp gain might help? EQ wise I recommend taking out what you don't want but not adding too much, by which I mean: turn down highs a decent bit, only turn down mids a little, and only turn lows up by one or two notches.

The settings on your bass as well as where and how hard you play are a big part of it too I think, because these are most directly influencing the signal going into your pedal (unless it's in an FX loop I suppose). I try to turn my bass and fuzz pedal to levels where, if I pluck a string in my normal fashion, the note only juuust breaks up a little, and then when I want really fuzzy I play much harder. Playing closer to the bridge will also add to note clarity I think.

I hope something here is useful to you!

Will definitely fool around with this new info when I get home, but I think you've probably solved the problem. Thanks man :)

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

This. This is a fun instrument. I'd have preferred the fretless one; but, for the price, I couldn't be happier.
Came with a great case, I feel like I can take and play this thing everywhere now.
Sounds great, brought it in to practice and that big upright-esque tone seemed to impress everyone in spite of any doubts. Personally, I love the big fat fundamental but it gets a little muddy when you try to push in the overtones so I'm gonna try running it through my SWR for that aural enhancer next time around.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

JayKay posted:

I manged to crack the nut on my G&L L2000 and need to get it replaced. From some TB threads, it appears that my best action would be to take it to a bass tech and have them custom make a replacement for me. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what it might cost?

Update: My local tech charged $15 for the part and $40 for labor.

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
The line item for replacing nut when I had a bunch of stuff done on mine was $44 so that's somewhere in the range. Either you were not had, or we both were.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

In December 2013 I picked up a super cheap Silvertone bass beginner's kit. I pretty much just used it to use on Rocksmith and a very occasional jam. Although, I really felt that an actual good bass would improve my sound and just be plain more enjoyable.

So, I decided to head over to Guitar Center yesterday and see what I could get. Maybe trade my old one in for a discount.

After trying a few, I decided on a Schecter Riot-5 that was on sale:

Can't say how good it is compared to anything decent but it's a hell of a lot better than my old one! I really love the B and E strings on it. Maybe it's the pickups or just overall better construction but I can really feel the lows coming out of my amp in a way I couldn't before!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Went to my local music shop, saw a V2 VT Bass for $109. I tried it out and fell in love immediately, now it's waiting for me on layaway. I just finished building a pedalboard and I had a whole plan about what to mount on it for a bunch of crazy effects and now this thing makes me want to sell it all and just go with a single pedal setup. I'll keep the pedals for fun, but I'm pretty amazed how good that thing sounds on its own.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Cross posting from new gear thread:

My Carvin Pb4 came in today. It feels and plays beautifully, I'm in love with it.

Super glad I went with the ebony fingerboard, I wasn't sure if it was gonna clash with the rest of the look but it works fine and it feels so good.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 14, 2015

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Looks cool - active or passive?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Both the P and the J pups are passive. The passive tone is killer and I'm not really hurting for active basses atm.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
goddamn I love matching headstocks. Post them if you got 'em!

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I've got a no-name frankenbass with some active PJ EMGs and a questionable wiring job. The knobs are wired as volume-volume-tone and when I have both volumes all the way up, it makes this ugly farty distortion noise. Rolling the volume back on either knob fixes it but I'd like to have the full range. I can post a picture of the wiring when I get home, but I was wondering what my first step in troubleshooting this should be. They're an older set of EMGs, before the solderless ones. I have two wires coming into the little wiring chamber from each pickup, a red and a white.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well it sounds like you're getting clipping. Very first thing I would check is that the pots are actually the 25k that you use with EMGs, but I would think that's the case since it's only when both are fully up. Worth checking though.

Wiring-wise, for EMGs the red wires all go to the battery connector, the whites go to the various pots. I'm having some difficulty finding any official EMG diagrams from the pre-solderless era (and there are a couple ways to do it) but here is a Seymour Duncan active J-bass diagram and it looks almost like the EMG VVT setup here that is solderless and for all I know the difference could just be in how the solderless pots handle grounds.

Anyway generally the first thing to check when you get weird noise aside from the correct numbers is that all your wires have good solder joints.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Battery might be going dead too. If you haven't replaced that recently, then try that first.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Bass-related news, Chris Squire has been diagnosed with an uncommon type of leukemia :\

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/05/19/chris-squire-yes-leukemia/27571503/

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Scarf posted:

Bass-related news, Chris Squire has been diagnosed with an uncommon type of leukemia :\

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/05/19/chris-squire-yes-leukemia/27571503/

i had no idea they still tour

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been playing for a while now, not super-seriously, but I'm considering upgrading from my weird Dean knock-off humbucker something bass to an instrument I can actually identify that sounds a little better. I'm pretty much set on getting a 5-string, but beyond that I'm not sure where I should start. I saw some recommendations for the Ibanez Soundgear basses, and I'll definitely be checking those out, as my main guitar is an Ibanez and I've been joyously happy with it. What other brands do I definitely need to check out? I'm hoping to keep it under $600, and I'd be using it mostly for metal and hard rock, at least initially. How are the recent Squier models? I figure a Fender 5-string is out of my range.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
When I was looking for a 5 string I had a pretty low budget and ended up settling on an LTD.

For $420 it's very well built and sounds great.

I haven't touched it since I got my Carvin :smith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MockingQuantum posted:

I've been playing for a while now, not super-seriously, but I'm considering upgrading from my weird Dean knock-off humbucker something bass to an instrument I can actually identify that sounds a little better. I'm pretty much set on getting a 5-string, but beyond that I'm not sure where I should start. I saw some recommendations for the Ibanez Soundgear basses, and I'll definitely be checking those out, as my main guitar is an Ibanez and I've been joyously happy with it. What other brands do I definitely need to check out? I'm hoping to keep it under $600, and I'd be using it mostly for metal and hard rock, at least initially. How are the recent Squier models? I figure a Fender 5-string is out of my range.

You'd be surprised. Don't rule out getting a nice used Fender 5'er. Or a nice used anything... Don't feel like you have to go new to get a good bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Always visit music stores and play the used instruments. They're a great way to save money, and there's a chance of finding one with a nice pickup upgrade already done to it.

someone out there has my old jackson dinky with the really nice dimarzio set and I hope they like it