Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Police Automaton posted:

I'd be very surprised if there isn't already a torrent with all the mods out there right at this moment.

:lol: there is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Enzer posted:

To expand on this:

Of course, you'd have to make $9000 dollars before Bethesda gives you your 25% cut of $2250.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Posted this sarcastically in the joke thread but it got me to thinking: how hard would it be for Bethesda to put out an unavoidable official patch that, for instance, breaks the old version of SkyUI just after the new one goes up on the Workship for :10bux:? I don't think they're quite that evil OR stupid but it made me wonder...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Eric the Mauve posted:

Posted this sarcastically in the joke thread but it got me to thinking: how hard would it be for Bethesda to put out an unavoidable official patch that, for instance, breaks the old version of SkyUI just after the new one goes up on the Workship for :10bux:? I don't think they're quite that evil OR stupid but it made me wonder...

Normally I think this kind of talk about DLC and such is ridiculous but two days ago I wouldn't have thought Bethesda and Valve would do this pay-for-mods poo poo so who loving knows, maybe they will, I have no idea just how far they'll go.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lets just hope this backfires on a scale ala the new Sim City. I think there's a chance.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Pakled posted:

Normally I think this kind of talk about DLC and such is ridiculous but two days ago I wouldn't have thought Bethesda and Valve would do this pay-for-mods poo poo so who loving knows, maybe they will, I have no idea just how far they'll go.

They may as well just double down, because it is hilarious how fast this destroyed years of good will Valve had. Just let the rest of it burn.

Also, the paid items pending now have multiple cheat mods on them, rich merchants with x11 of the gold (the free version being x10), an invincibility mod masquerading as a character and a lot of mods mocking this.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Can't wait for nagware in immersion mods.

The people who know what they are doing will learn how to comment those things out.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

All interest in mods for me goes to essentially zero when I start having to pay for them. gently caress that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

WATCH TODD HOWARD START A loving WAR

Emptyquoting this from a few pages back because I just caught up with this bullshit.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

yo hook me up

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
"im rich off mod death" - todd howard, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was wondering about this about 10 pages back, but with a patch with code designed to break pretty much all mods (like it offsets asset id numbers or something, so its easy for modders to fix) so that it pretty much resets the compatible mod count to zero and allows mod creators to do a few trivial things to make their mods compatible again and to sell the compatible version.

I agree it's unlikely, but nowhere near as unlikely as I would have thought a week ago.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
What ever happened to Wrye? His Cathedral/Parlor idea got posted earlier; I'd love to hear his thoughts on this.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Only way I would pay for mods is if it were seamless and would just work, same as the game, or same as DLC. It's already a ton of work to get some of them to work together, now I get to pay to experience that? Yeah, aint happening. On top of that, a lot of mods I download I just try them out, then delete them right away.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ETPC posted:

The people who know what they are doing will learn how to comment those things out.

It's really easy. Two ways would be to simply delete the script that runs the pop-up or open the script up and comment stuff out or set the chance of a pop-up to 0%. There is no DRM or anything else to stop someone from doing that and once you know your way around the ck and papyrus it's really easy to do. 5 minutes once you got the basics down.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, the joke about modding for hours to play for a few minutes isn't funny when you're paying for it. We may be mentally ill for doing it for fun but we have some standards.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
The day modding became :filez:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

There are also tons of new torrents from Steam games on various sites popping up tonight. I guess some people are unhappy.

Pakled posted:

UPLAY and other similar systems took many weeks to crack but they managed it. I sincerely doubt Bethesda is that insane to try such an expensive stunt, then again...

Red Mundus posted:

It's really easy. Two ways would be to simply delete the script that runs the pop-up or open the script up and comment stuff out or set the chance of a pop-up to 0%. There is no DRM or anything else to stop someone from doing that and once you know your way around the ck and papyrus it's really easy to do. 5 minutes once you got the basics down.

Unless they drastically change the structure of modding (they likely won't because that would imply atrociously severe coding overhauls), DRM can't really work. Oh you need to be online? Sorry but even legit owners can use cracked exes to bypass Steam usage.

VVV Remember, remember the 24th of... april ok that doesn't work.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 25, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Killsion posted:

We're going to need a good epithet for it a la "The September That Never Ended".

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

I'll always remember where I was the day the modding died.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Killsion posted:

I need some new swords for Skyrim...

:rolls up sleeves:

Time to hit the Dark Web. :c00l:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Fintilgin posted:

I need some new swords for Skyrim...

:rolls up sleeves:

Time to hit the Dark Web. :c00l:

Shoot, there's a subreddit specifically to pirate paid mods :jihad:

E:

theultimo fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 25, 2015

Dux Supremus
Feb 2, 2009
Stepping aside from Workshop Chat: I like the looks of Weapons of the Third Era MoS Edition and it's listed in the op but it got nuked a long time ago and I didn't want to use the original. I was unable to find an English version of 1.51. I did, however, find foreign language versions of 1.51 with BSAs and a patch to update the English 1.50 ESP and ESM to 1.51, and using these was able to put an English version back together. It should work as intended. Probably. It's here on MEGA if anyone wants it or wants to change the op link or whatever.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

theultimo posted:

Shoot, there's a subreddit specifically to pirate paid mods :jihad:

E:

Deplorable, I hope Gabe is aware and watching with eyes unclouded. He might have all the billions of dollars but he doesn't have billions of support.

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Did I gently caress up or is it impossible to comment on paid mods now?

Edit: Yeah they shut off ALL discussion of paid mods. Ask politely if a mod is broken. *removes critique of bad mods and the ability to inform oneself via reading reviews*

Octal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 25, 2015

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Octal posted:

Did I gently caress up or is it impossible to comment on paid mods now?

yeah they removed that because everyone was posting middle finger DLC haha

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Pakled posted:

Yeah I can't be mad at the modmakers for taking advantage of an opportunity that's offered to them. There's a lot of vitriol being directed towards them because of their decision that I don't think is deserved. I do think Valve and Bethesda have made an awful decision that fucks everybody else in return for a short-term gain and are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

I'm a little mad at the modmakers, not for wanting to get paid but for being so stupid about it. I assume it's a combination of greed & being such a pathetic starfucker that you will take any deal Bethesda/Valve offers you without considering if it's remotely fair or may have burdensome consequences on what was previously just your hobby. Reading explanations from modders like Isoku & Chesko makes it sound like these dumb assholes really thought they were collaborating with Bethesda & Valve here, like they were being let into the cool kids club to make the big bucks & finally be recognized by their heroes for all of their hard work, which is just precious. Like they originally assumed that they would get 75% and Bethesda/Valve would split 25% and were completely shocked to find out that it was the other way around, how naive is that? Chesko getting angry because he wanted to take his mods off the Workshop and Valve's lawyer laughing at him was adorable. I guess he honestly thought he was going to retain control over his mods through this and it's embarrassing and frustrating that people this dumb get to ruin our fun.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Can't wait for nagware in immersion mods.

"You are freezing to death! Download the FULL version to build a campfire"

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

I'll also call another thing. There will be communities around the pirated mods and there will be a "pirated mods" scene. Some few people will legit make good money off mods while most will be workshop "hundredaires" who would earn better money on the hour if they'd take up a part time job stocking shelves at the supermarket. The only one really profiting off this will be the companies behind it.

Already now the skyrim launcher and steams insistence on loving around with the data folder is crap if you use more than three mods and 3rd party launcher are worlds better, making mods downloaded via torrent actually more comfortable to use. This might lead in the future for future games to some ham-fisted mod DRM which will only gently caress over legitimate buyers of mods while the people pirating mods will be largely untouched by this, like it often is the case for DRM of content.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I'm a little mad at the modmakers, not for wanting to get paid but for being so stupid about it. I assume it's a combination of greed & being such a pathetic starfucker that you will take any deal Bethesda/Valve offers you without considering if it's remotely fair or may have burdensome consequences on what was previously just your hobby. Reading explanations from modders like Isoku & Chesko makes it sound like these dumb assholes really thought they were collaborating with Bethesda & Valve here, like they were being let into the cool kids club to make the big bucks & finally be recognized by their heroes for all of their hard work, which is just precious. Like they originally assumed that they would get 75% and Bethesda/Valve would split 25% and were completely shocked to find out that it was the other way around, how naive is that? Chesko getting angry because he wanted to take his mods off the Workshop and Valve's lawyer laughing at him was adorable. I guess he honestly thought he was going to retain control over his mods through this and it's embarrassing and frustrating that people this dumb get to ruin our fun.

"You are freezing to death! Download the FULL version to build a campfire"

longtime no see trixie :shepface:

dont' go back to GBS it's really bad

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Being angry about videogames brought me out of retirement.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Tell me you wouldn't have been stupidly naive at one point if one of your biggest dreams - or something you thought could lead to it - was materializing in front of you.

People sell their family members for money in some bad/poor places in order to obtain a modicum of anything... some of the modders hosed up royally and it's a far cry from the worst mistake that people have done in order to gain some sort of recognition or acknowledgement, let alone money.

Valve and Bethesda are pathetic for pulling that stunt and I hope it blows up in their faces. I also really hope the modding community fully recovers and that it teaches these 2 companies a lesson but I know better, something will remain after this.

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 25, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alasyre posted:

What ever happened to Wrye? His Cathedral/Parlor idea got posted earlier; I'd love to hear his thoughts on this.

The Nexus became such a No Infringement No Criticism Allowed zone that it wasn't a necessary thing anymore so it went away.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

longtime no see trixie :shepface:

dont' go back to GBS it's really bad

actually GBS is really good.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
It just occurred to me that disabling ratings and comments on paid mods turns them into even more of a crapshoot than before. No more comments section that contains solutions to common bugs in the mod. No suspiciously low rating to alert you that it might be totally broken. Even with a good mod manager it can be tricky to coordinate playing with severalmods, and Steam Workshop is crap for that, and not having access to comments just makes it all that much more difficult.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So, on the topic of actual modding. What is the recommended Follower mod of choice? Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Extensible Follower Framework, or Amazing Follower Tweaks?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I already found the mod subreddit and there's pretty much every interesting mod already linked to download on there (including the ones steam closed down). I have lost all interest in Skyrim (it was pretty small to begin with and I just revisited occasionally to look at mods) but it is a very interesting thing to watch how people organize themselves online ad hoc when something like this happens. I don't know anything about reddit, don't they have a policy against pirating or is it pretty much fine?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Actually, looking back at his website Wrye called it all along.

"I'm interested in what I call "mega modding" – i.e. very large scale mod friendly gaming. From my brief experience in attending the Austin Game Developers conference, modding is something that is very poorly appreciated in the gaming business. It seems that very few people in the business realize how large modding can be. Which means that there's a large business opportunity that has been largely untapped. More on this later. "

Either he was prescient, or he's behind all this! We want answers! Wrye! :argh:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Killsion posted:

So, on the topic of actual modding. What is the recommended Follower mod of choice? Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Extensible Follower Framework, or Amazing Follower Tweaks?

The one that's free.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Police Automaton posted:

I don't know anything about reddit, don't they have a policy against pirating or is it pretty much fine?

As far as I know they don't have any kind of site-wide anti-piracy policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Killsion posted:

I personally have had the least issues with AFT, I'm not sure if any of them went P2P but I like the features it brings. It can generate anomalies sometimes - rarely - but it has debug options that allow you to recover MIA followers (aka stuck in walls).

I've tried UFO but it seemed to bring me far more problems.

• Locked thread