Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there any repository of maps with pre-laid roads? That was always what I liked doing in the old sim city games, I have all the city management without having to obsess over aesthetics as hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
So one of my cities loads without any of the mods enabled (FPS display, finer road heights, steeper roads, postprocessing fx). All the custom assets are there but the mods have just... disappeared? I started another city and it doesn't have the same issue.

Anyone else have this bug or know how to fix it?

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Eiba posted:

I have a friend who pirated Cities Skylines, and she was happy with having done that until I started telling her about all the cool easy to use mods that were integrated into Steam. She owns the game now. I mentioned this potential charging for mod things and her first response was "welp, back to piracy".

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but people have been saying mods can be removed and replaced with a paid version. Wouldn't that effectively hold peoples save files hostage?

This whole thing sounds kind of absurdly lovely, and potentially removes a huge selling point of the game retroactively.

Bear in mind that publishers have to approve this on a per-game basis. It's up to Paradox as to whether or not Skylines mods are allowed to be sold.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess

saucepanman posted:

So one of my cities loads without any of the mods enabled (FPS display, finer road heights, steeper roads, postprocessing fx). All the custom assets are there but the mods have just... disappeared? I started another city and it doesn't have the same issue.

Try saving with a new save name, then loading the new save after restarting the game. I had that happen once and a few mods (specifically, toggle traffic lights, traffic report tool, and the mod that makes polluted grass brown instead of purple) disappeared, but they loaded fine after I saved and loaded the new save later.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Kikaimegami posted:

Try saving with a new save name, then loading the new save after restarting the game. I had that happen once and a few mods (specifically, toggle traffic lights, traffic report tool, and the mod that makes polluted grass brown instead of purple) disappeared, but they loaded fine after I saved and loaded the new save later.

Tried this but no dice. Thanks for the tip though I'll try it again when my next city breaks :v:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Supraluminal posted:

I actually thought he did a bad job with some aspects of the blending in that video. In particular the edges were too hard: Too many dense hedgerows along (nearly) every road, too sharp of a division between farm fields and suburbs. But maybe those are European things, I dunno.

I do like the look of just zoning sparse farm buildings, and the visual effect of brushing shrubs in some "fields." I wonder how functional it is, though, given how stupidly concentrated the fertile ground is in the game and how far service vehicles will have to drive to get to these buildings.

I wish the game just handled farms in a smarter way, like painting field textures as far as 12-16 tiles back from a road if there's room.

e: While we're on the general subject, I get irked by the way cities appear to exist in the vacuum of their region. It's one thing when you have a town of 2000 people, but a city with a dozen blocks of skyscrapers with completely untouched wilderness for kilometers in every direction?

In a way I think SC4's hard map cutoffs worked better for helping preserve the illusion; you can always pretend the suburbs and villages and farms are out there somewhere. In Skylines, you can see the world beyond your city, and it's empty as poo poo.

I don't know if there's a great way to address this. Procedural farms and small towns in the distance that disappear when you buy tiles near them? Some kind of skybox trickery? Honestly, even just letting me build different roads in areas I don't own would help a little, so it doesn't seem like my city is in the middle of a vast gulf only reachable by miles of divided highway.

His organic side was a pretty good representation of farmland in the UK:

This picture is what like 80% of the UK looks like from above. Copses are a pretty important thing to add to get the look right though, there are little tiny woods dotted everywhere amongst farmland here. I'd like to be able to paint in crops though, I have a few mods that give concrete and gravel areas as ploppables so I'm guessing it's possible to use a different texture. I want a load of blinding yellow rape fields.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That UI looks good, I'll try it. I have too many custom assets I'm getting sick of scrolling past all the time.

Eiba posted:

I have a friend who pirated Cities Skylines, and she was happy with having done that until I started telling her about all the cool easy to use mods that were integrated into Steam. She owns the game now. I mentioned this potential charging for mod things and her first response was "welp, back to piracy".

So... correct me if I'm wrong, but people have been saying mods can be removed and replaced with a paid version. Wouldn't that effectively hold peoples save files hostage?

This whole thing sounds kind of absurdly lovely, and potentially removes a huge selling point of the game retroactively.

It's just for Skyrim at the moment. I *think* you can subscribe to mods but you still need to actually have the data on hand and run it through a mod manager for it to really work properly, which differentiates it from Skylines' easy subscribe and we keep everything updated and organized for you. Not sure I usually just use the Nexus for Skyrim.

So if you remove your Skyrim mod everyone that has it already still has it unlike the Skylines' mods.

saucepanman posted:

This happened to me, it seems like you still have all the mod files but for whatever reason it doesn't read them from the folder. I just restarted my PC and Steam and it worked after that. You can manually re-add the files to the right folder and *make* it work but it's kind of a bitch because all the file folders are just numbers.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 23, 2015

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess

saucepanman posted:

Tried this but no dice. Thanks for the tip though I'll try it again when my next city breaks :v:

drat. How big of a city is it? I wonder if this is something that just has a chance of happening.

The only other thing I can think of trying would be to turn off all your mods (just mods, not assets or maps), load that save and then save in a new file, quit out and then reactivate everything you want to use before loading the save again, but that's a lot of trouble that may not work.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It's not a very big city, just around 50k. I'll give Mordin's fix a try soon.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

saucepanman posted:

It's not a very big city, just around 50k. I'll give Mordin's fix a try soon.

Just to clarify: for some reason there's two mod folders, iirc one is in the Cities Skylines folder and the other is in Steam's workshop folder. For whatever reason all my mods got moved from one to the other and they were all gone (even from the content manager in game) even though I was subscribed and I had the mod data in the other folder. I could have manually moved them - I moved a few to see if it would work - but what fixed it was just restarting everything and getting Steam to re-sync with the workshop or whatever.

Sorry about the vagueness; I'm on my work computer or I'd look at the exact folders.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

IS there some kind of trick to using cargo train terminals? I have a gently caress of a situation on my hands with cargo coming to my commercial districts, choking off the roads. I thought Id solve this with a cargo terminal, but now Im just moving my traffic problems around. :/

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Zero Gravitas posted:

IS there some kind of trick to using cargo train terminals? I have a gently caress of a situation on my hands with cargo coming to my commercial districts, choking off the roads. I thought Id solve this with a cargo terminal, but now Im just moving my traffic problems around. :/

Don't cross the streams. Always make your rail or road bridge over each other and avoid level crossings as much as you can.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Your cargo still needs to out to the world and put to your cities. I've got a main loop set up that hits all my industrial sectors, my port, and my main arterial lines into my cities. This loop then feeds into the outside world line at one junction.

You could try setting up an industrial intake only road that connects with your commercial districts to alleviate your other choke points.

It all depends on what your issue is, inbound into city or outbound to highways, then dedicating arterial roads / other options for your cargo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think a good rule of thumb is 2 (preferably 3) cargo train terminals per map square. It will keep a lot of your inter-city and intra-city cargo off the highways.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 24, 2015

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!

LonsomeSon posted:

Actually, if you mouse over the level bar for specialized industrial buildings, the tooltip will inform you that they always start at maximum level, for whatever reason.

Which is just CO trying to spin it positively. When regular industry upgrades, it starts demanding more educated employees. That never happens with farms, even though the actual structures depicted imply some pretty bitchin' agro-science going on. Each specialized industry seems to have a slightly different breakdown of uneducated/educated/highly educated job slots and no way to shift them upward.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I found a good way to keep your industry from going all abandoned and crying for workers is to just ignore the demand for commercial. It seems that when your population gets educated, they'd all rather be working commercial jobs at the expense of industry. If you just say "nah" they'll go to the industrial jobs. I try to build a little of both, but always keep my commercial need up a bit. Seems to be working.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fishbus posted:

Don't cross the streams. Always make your rail or road bridge over each other and avoid level crossings as much as you can.

Cities: Skylines - Don't cross the streams

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Megabound posted:

Your cargo still needs to out to the world and put to your cities. I've got a main loop set up that hits all my industrial sectors, my port, and my main arterial lines into my cities. This loop then feeds into the outside world line at one junction.

You could try setting up an industrial intake only road that connects with your commercial districts to alleviate your other choke points.

It all depends on what your issue is, inbound into city or outbound to highways, then dedicating arterial roads / other options for your cargo.

It's pretty gamey but one way to handle local and regional traffic is to have two freight terminals right next to each other, one that only feeds to the outside world and one that only connects to your regional network. Connect them with a road loop that doesn't connect to any other roads. Trucks will shuffle cargo between them. Like this. Garbage will pile up at the terminals but it doesn't matter.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

It's pretty gamey but one way to handle local and regional traffic is to have two freight terminals right next to each other, one that only feeds to the outside world and one that only connects to your regional network. Connect them with a road loop that doesn't connect to any other roads. Trucks will shuffle cargo between them. Like this. Garbage will pile up at the terminals but it doesn't matter.
Gosh, that's mesmerizing... but a lot of effort, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes. You're going to end up with the same amount of rail traffic after transferring all those goods... won't you?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

Gosh, that's mesmerizing... but a lot of effort, and I'm not sure what it accomplishes. You're going to end up with the same amount of rail traffic after transferring all those goods... won't you?

It keeps import-export trains from spawning for each individual freight station and completely clogging a shared network.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eiba posted:

It's a lot lower effort than trying to devise a freight traffic system that accounts for both local and regional traffic. The idea is it divides your freight into two separate systems: one going purely local, one going regional. The regional line can be a simple, dedicated railway out of the city, while your local line can be a loop or whatever. It's really easy to put together - just two freight stations with a loop.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

this game has pulled me away from KSP and that is the highest praise I can give it

~70k people. I have so many plans

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Hadlock posted:

I think a good rule of thumb is 2 (preferably 3) cargo train terminals per map square. It will keep a lot of your inter-city and intra-city cargo off the highways.

Do we know if the same thing applies to passenger terminals? I'm guessing not since in my current city my cargo loop is a model of efficiency while my seperated passenger lines are a clogged hellscape that looks like an orderly pinworm infestation with all the stopped trains and the surrounding streets are still having traffic problems.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 24, 2015

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Qwijib0 posted:

it's also a retirement community so most people commute on golf carts to the course, the rec center, then home. Nobody ever goes in and nobody ever comes out.

Not alive anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I thought you guys might enjoy my city's BRT.

There's this elevated road that goes in a circle around the city, and it has a bus lane but also occasionally an elevated bus lane above the elevated road.

This particular section goes off the ring road and ends at this thing.

Where the bus road curves and goes into this building. I have no idea what this is going to be when it's finished.

There's also a lot of stupid giant stack interchanges I'll try to get pictures of sometime. They remind me of Skylines every time.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Is there anywhere that has detailed stats on the parks in the game? I'm trying to make some in the editor and I don't want to gently caress up the stats.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Anyone know how land value is calculated? I'm finding it very frustrating that parks appear to have no intrinsic value, so plopping one in a neighborhood can actually leave a hole of low value that causes abandonment in the adjacent houses even while it boosts value in houses further away.

A related problem is the dropoff zone at the edges of built areas, which can cause other dumb situations:

This is the waterfront at the edge of my downtown core, adjacent to some of the most valuable land in town. There are tons of L5 residential buildings like half a block away, but value plummets on the riverside here. Seems stupid; I would expect a nice waterfront area with parks and stuff to be highly valuable.

===

Another gripe/request for help while I'm posting: I need help figuring out a good frontage road setup. This is what I have right now:

Not only is this wasteful of space, it creates these double intersections that can slow traffic down terribly. What I wanted to do was this:

Surface streets 5 tiles in, so I can leave one unzoned tile next to the frontage road. As you can see, though, the loving pain in the rear end street-snapped grid system chops the zonable area to poo poo if I try this with a road type that supports zoning for the frontage.

Even when I take pains to start the streets on the same grid, something inevitably happens to gently caress it up - I guess those ramp intersections mucked with the frontage road's alignment or something, I dunno. I might be able to fix it if I blasted the whole drat road and laid it down in a single uninterrupted stretch, but ugh.

This is also making me long for more road types and/or road configuration, as I'd love to use a higher-speed one-way road for the frontage to encourage cims to prefer it over surface streets. However, my current options are six-lane (super overkill given the traffic load right now), ramp (probably viable but the idea makes me die a little inside), or highway (at which point cims have no speed incentive to get on the actual elevated highway).

Anyone have any advice?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As near as I can tell, land value is just a magic sum of the services available in a given spot. Areas that have green access to all city services plus mass transit options seem to be the only way to max land value.

The edges of the city always seem to have poo poo land value, there might be some bonus for proximity to jobs or something.

Parks definitely don't improve land value, I custom built a parks that cost 1,000,000 to place and it didn't do poo poo to the land value calculation.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Land value is very closely tied to surrounding density, which is why things at the edge drop off and why quite often that 1x1 tile building filling that awkward spot in a high-value block will be a touch lower. The land value system is pretty bad :(

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

As near as I can tell, land value is just a magic sum of the services available in a given spot. Areas that have green access to all city services plus mass transit options seem to be the only way to max land value.

The edges of the city always seem to have poo poo land value, there might be some bonus for proximity to jobs or something.

Parks definitely don't improve land value, I custom built a parks that cost 1,000,000 to place and it didn't do poo poo to the land value calculation.

I think parks improve value through providing leisure access, like any other service I guess but maybe with a greater degree of impact on residential value in particular? I dunno. Either way, yeah, they don't seem to contribute value in a direct way.

Baronjutter posted:

Land value is very closely tied to surrounding density, which is why things at the edge drop off and why quite often that 1x1 tile building filling that awkward spot in a high-value block will be a touch lower. The land value system is pretty bad :(

Well, "density" in the sense of "surrounded by lots of zoned, developed land," yes. Not, it seems, in the low/high zoning density sense, since the most valuable part of my city is a low-density residential neighborhood next to the downtown core.

Kikaimegami
Feb 4, 2005
Machine Goddess

Baronjutter posted:

This is an issue I've been having with the Zion map. There's a few of those tiny places that despite having great service coverage, this one spot keeps getting abandoned after bitching about land value for a while. I've taken to just plopping down a little 1x1 park on these when I notice them so I don't have to keep seeing the icon pop up. At least the automatic bulldoze mod means I can ignore them for a while until they actually irritate me.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought you guys might enjoy my city's BRT.

There's this elevated road that goes in a circle around the city, and it has a bus lane but also occasionally an elevated bus lane above the elevated road.

This particular section goes off the ring road and ends at this thing.

Where the bus road curves and goes into this building. I have no idea what this is going to be when it's finished.

There's also a lot of stupid giant stack interchanges I'll try to get pictures of sometime. They remind me of Skylines every time.

These look amazing. Do you know why the bus lane has been elevated so drat high?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
The CityCopter mod is out.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430898838

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Shockingly enough, CityCopter is not compatible with Traffic++ (the older stable one anyway).

e: although activating and unactivating it a few times and enabled ghost mode on the older one let it work. weird.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 25, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Friction posted:

These look amazing. Do you know why the bus lane has been elevated so drat high?

No idea. Most of the time it's just the inside lane on that regular elevated road below. My guess is it's elevated because there it has a split off so it can dead end into that building, and there's also a road interchange so it's probably just easier to have it way in the air to do that.

I assume the building is going to be some kind of central station or depot.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Supraluminal posted:

This is also making me long for more road types and/or road configuration, as I'd love to use a higher-speed one-way road for the frontage to encourage cims to prefer it over surface streets. However, my current options are six-lane (super overkill given the traffic load right now), ramp (probably viable but the idea makes me die a little inside), or highway (at which point cims have no speed incentive to get on the actual elevated highway).

Anyone have any advice?

Build a pedestrian walkway in the tile facing your city the length of the frontage road. It'll prevent it from creating zoning and make four tile zones towards the frontage road off the next road in.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dried out a river and threw a highway down:

Still working on expanding around it.

Tried to make a .gif of an interchange but it ended up being a gig :downs: I'll work on it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 25, 2015

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

That dude Scotland Tom who made Powatan Creek and Tenasi River made a new map. Looks like gentler terrain than his other stuff but with a cool farmland look.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Moridin920 posted:

Dried out a river and threw a highway down:

Still working on expanding around it.

Tried to make a .gif of an interchange but it ended up being a gig :downs: I'll work on it.

This is super cool looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did the CS devs mention in game terrain modifications with the tunnels addition? I see pictures like this and want to do some earth works. Many of the highways here in Dallas, in particular highway 75 coming out of downtown looks almost exactly like this, but were excavated rather than drained.