Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

They're not really any less bullshit than the other religions, they're just less popular.

You can't play a Christian on World of Warcraft. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yes, there are more world of warcraft players in my command than christians I'd wager

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The buddhist service was the most peaceful serene time(I fell asleep chanting) at boot camp second only to jerking off in the hallway heads. I never went to the wiccan service but one of my bootbuddies did and he said they played with fire and knives so it couldnt all be bad. The universalist was boring.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Wicca chaplain collar device.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I don't know about the other groups, but I'm pretty sure all you need for a Unitarian service is a coffee maker and a DVD of Cosmos.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
i'm a buddhist so i went to the buddhist service in boot and i love chanting and all, but they were kinda creepy.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
A dude I was in boot and now am in A-school with has a wiccan girlfriend or fiancee or something and she doesn't believe in medicine or marriage so they have to have the spirit of a tree bind them in matrimony with sticks or shrubs or something.

In the event he gets an infection from said binding he'll probably be better off with Wiccan healing than going to medical though, so I guess that's a plus

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Dingleberry posted:

Lol.

http://www.navytimes.com/story/mili...mmand/26205131/

"I'm a Druid and I'm gonna join the Navy which is sooooo in tune with nat-ure"

I always thought all religion was kinda lame but had to roll my eyes at the Wiccan Satanist whatever douches in boot camp.

Like when we dump trash into the ocean. Of course, no plastics.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

maffew buildings posted:

A dude I was in boot and now am in A-school with has a wiccan girlfriend or fiancee or something and she doesn't believe in medicine or marriage so they have to have the spirit of a tree bind them in matrimony with sticks or shrubs or something.

In the event he gets an infection from said binding he'll probably be better off with Wiccan healing than going to medical though, so I guess that's a plus

How do you get BAH if you don't believe in marriage. That poo poo is the worst religion.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

How do you get BAH if you don't believe in marriage. That poo poo is the worst religion.

It's free to live under a tree.

All Hail Our EarthMother

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
They're cutting more of us loose for force conversion/admin sep. I got the list of ratings this week I can [must] pick to convert to, if my 1306 to CTN doesn't get past the TechAd, that are taking E5s from my yeargroup. If [when] he rejects it I'll immediately route one to CTR, then CTM and if all fails screw it I'll go IT since they said I could go to that school without an extension and continue to limp towards my EAOS.

:siren: AO, YN(SS), CS(SS), AWO, MM, IT/ITS, FC(AEGIS), SO/EOD/SWCC/ND and PR :siren:

NCC is adamant that we'll have to force convert over and won't be allowed to sit the remainder of our time out here as CTIs (15 months). I'll get the last laugh as I drink a 40 on the sofa watching the ISIS conflict swells up on the news as the navy realizes it got rid of 180 9ARBs for no reason and can't handle a tactical mission of any decent scope without losing manpower to P3 billet priorities.

CS(SS) Analogical: "Have I ever told you guys about my time with the green berets?"
"gently caress off"
deep cover

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Analogical posted:

CS(SS) Analogical: "Have I ever told you guys about my time with the green berets?"
"gently caress off"
deep cover

Are you going to be more Hunt for Red October or Under Siege?

I'd imagine IT wouldn't be too bad, get to stay in the wonderful ~*IDC*~ at least.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011
Wtf happened to your guys Navy? I remember 6th fleet(that's the med and based in Italy right?)guys always being fairly happy for Military folks up till a few years ago then it turned into nonstop bitching..

Analogical
May 20, 2013

MegaJoe89 posted:

Wtf happened to your guys Navy? I remember 6th fleet(that's the med and based in Italy right?)guys always being fairly happy for Military folks up till a few years ago then it turned into nonstop bitching..

There was a time and place where sailors didn't bitch? :captainpop:

Even if IT pulls me from the DoD-side of things the school/experience can still fit on my resume and be applicable. Hardware/radio experience would actually benefit me so hitting the radioman side of IT wouldn't be a bad thing. If CTN says no and I do go IT this winter I'll be out next November anyway so there's probably not enough time to deploy me, maybe I can ask for some duty station I wouldn't mind hanging out at for eight months. Would they even send me OCONUS with that little time left? If I get to stay CONUS maybe I can ask to show back up at Meade. When I get out the plan is to get a job in DC and do AROTC reserve as I finish my degree, so I figure having a plan is better than not.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 25, 2015

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Analogical posted:

There was a time and place where sailors didn't bitch? :captainpop:

Lol there's always bitching, but its much more serious now. It seems like the drawdown are really hurting

Analogical
May 20, 2013

MegaJoe89 posted:

Lol there's always bitching, but its much more serious now. It seems like the drawdown are really hurting

It's hectic right now. A lot of people I know are getting told they can't stay CTIs, most are choosing to get out because the ratings offered are pretty meh and contracting is more appealing to them. My roommates both didn't get a quota and a guy on my team asked to go literally anywhere and was told there were no billets available, he just got moved over to the career counselors office because there isn't even a billet in the DoD side of our command (DoD billets and Command billets, basically operation vs admin). It really is just coming down to yeargroupings. We pray for war

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Analogical posted:

It's hectic right now. A lot of people I know are getting told they can't stay CTIs, most are choosing to get out because the ratings offered are pretty meh and contracting is more appealing to them. My roommates both didn't get a quota and a guy on my team asked to go literally anywhere and was told there were no billets available, he just got moved over to the career counselors office because there isn't even a billet in the DoD side of our command (DoD billets and Command billets, basically operation vs admin). It really is just coming down to yeargroupings. We pray for war

Baffles me how they dont feel like they need CTI arab. How's the private sector look for you?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Analogical posted:

They're cutting more of us loose for force conversion/admin sep. I got the list of ratings this week I can [must] pick to convert to, if my 1306 to CTN doesn't get past the TechAd, that are taking E5s from my yeargroup. If [when] he rejects it I'll immediately route one to CTR, then CTM and if all fails screw it I'll go IT since they said I could go to that school without an extension and continue to limp towards my EAOS.

:siren: AO, YN(SS), CS(SS), AWO, MM, IT/ITS, FC(AEGIS), SO/EOD/SWCC/ND and PR :siren:

NCC is adamant that we'll have to force convert over and won't be allowed to sit the remainder of our time out here as CTIs (15 months). I'll get the last laugh as I drink a 40 on the sofa watching the ISIS conflict swells up on the news as the navy realizes it got rid of 180 9ARBs for no reason and can't handle a tactical mission of any decent scope without losing manpower to P3 billet priorities.

"gently caress off"
deep cover

Doesn't make any sense to go FC(AEGIS). The training is like 2 years.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

truly a forward thinking Global Force For Good

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

Evil Overlord of Darkness
With the conflict over in the Middle East escalating these days, at this rate the Navy will be wanting to recruit quite a few more sailors if it gets any uglier than it already is. I'll wager that even CTI as a rating will open up some (if only on the Farsi side of things).

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Agreed, the Navy will definitely blow it and get rid of the guys who know the job and panic to find new ones and be behind the eight ball

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

Yeah, it's a vicious cycle indeed. You know what the worst part about it is? I've got another whole 2 1/2 years left, and I'm among the few smart enough to really see it coming -- yet I'm powerless to make the decisions because I'm not one of the brass.

Whoever first said that life's not fair deserves a cookie, and a punch to the face because he probably didn't do anything to fix it.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think the idea that you can't identify a problem without offering a solution is a stupid one and I find it prevalent in the Navy, where people who are most often in the position to identify a problem are rarely in a position to fix it.

Also, 6-8 months to go :woop:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

I think the idea that you can't identify a problem without offering a solution is a stupid one and I find it prevalent in the Navy, where people who are most often in the position to identify a problem are rarely in a position to fix it.

Also, 6-8 months to go :woop:

Dunno if you've seen the "4 Reasons I Am Resigning My Commission As A Naval Officer" article that's been making the rounds. http://taskandpurpose.com/4-reasons-i-am-resigning-my-commission-as-a-naval-officer/

The online response by senior (meaning mostly terminal O4s and O5s) has been "How dare she complain and criticize without recommending solutions! Priviliged millennial!" Which speaks volumes for itself. The fact that the institution doesn't tolerate any criticism or legitimate complaint basically dooms itself to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Howard Phillips posted:

Dunno if you've seen the "4 Reasons I Am Resigning My Commission As A Naval Officer" article that's been making the rounds. http://taskandpurpose.com/4-reasons-i-am-resigning-my-commission-as-a-naval-officer/

The online response by senior (meaning mostly terminal O4s and O5s) has been "How dare she complain and criticize without recommending solutions! Priviliged millennial!" Which speaks volumes for itself. The fact that the institution doesn't tolerate any criticism or legitimate complaint basically dooms itself to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Honestly I thought that her essay was pretty terrible, and not for the reason that you mentioned. There is a point to the "criticism without solution" thing but I agree that it is sometimes taken too far.

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

That is almost precisely why I'm pushing so hard to become a Naval Officer. Sure, it'll take quite a while before I'm in any true position of authority (when it boils down to creating change), but it is at least my hope that other like-minded Sailors will follow in this path, so that the Navy, bit by bit, becomes the dynamic and constantly evolving force that people [should] envision.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Goons with any power in the Navy can only end horribly and I support you 100%.

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Cosmic Fury posted:

That is almost precisely why I'm pushing so hard to become a Naval Officer. Sure, it'll take quite a while before I'm in any true position of authority (when it boils down to creating change), but it is at least my hope that other like-minded Sailors will follow in this path, so that the Navy, bit by bit, becomes the dynamic and constantly evolving force that people [should] envision.

Knowing what I know about your navy and Italy's navy your good intentions will leave you burned out by about your 4th year of being a officer and either resign in anger or become part of the problem lol. This was always my intention, to be a "model soldier" but all it did was get a hell of a lot on my plate. I'm in a position where I will feel guilty for leaving the armed forces, but know I would be better utilized and appreciated in one of the intelligence agencies. I've come to the conclusion that these things can't be fixed, no matter how much respect and awards you've earned in your career.

Sorry if this is makes no sense I haven't had my coffee and my English sufffers because of it lol

Edit: basically if a young officer starts to make positive changes than all the incompetent old folks will actually look incompetent for not having made these obvious changes years ago and they can't be having that. At best they steal your idea and take all the credit.

son gay. so what fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 25, 2015

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

UoI posted:

So far Mr. Nice! holds the record for getting hosed for over a grand by his CO, but I'm confident you can deckplate your way to 2k, Cosmic Fury!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

MegaJoe89 posted:

Knowing what I know about your navy and Italy's navy your good intentions will leave you burned out by about your 4th year of being a officer and either resign in anger or become part of the problem lol. This was always my intention, to be a "model soldier" but all it did was get a hell of a lot on my plate. I'm in a position where I will feel guilty for leaving the armed forces, but know I would be better utilized and appreciated in one of the intelligence agencies. I've come to the conclusion that these things can't be fixed, no matter how much respect and awards you've earned in your career.

Sorry if this is makes no sense I haven't had my coffee and my English sufffers because of it lol

No you clearly and concisely conveyed your main point, that everything should be nuked from orbit. Namaste.

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

MegaJoe89 posted:

Edit: basically if a young officer starts to make positive changes than all the incompetent old folks will actually look incompetent for not having made these obvious changes years ago and they can't be having that. At best they steal your idea and take all the credit.

Then at least changes will have been made, and I'll have gotten out of the military as a bitter vet, on my way to a well-paying job. I know as a junior sailor that I'm gonna get screwed if a good idea of mine gets implemented. Sure, I'll not get the credit for it, but at the very least life won't be as big of a shitstorm as it usually is. Ultimately, I win either way -- but getting called out for a good idea would be great icing on the cake, I admit...

It takes a really kickass chain of command to really get the ball rolling, and it's too bad that I've only seen a couple that actually work well all the way from the ground up. For example, my old one had a kickass upper chain of command while the majority of my immediate superiors were douchebags, didn't know any better, or simply didn't care. It's a travesty, I know, and I can only change so much no matter what position I find myself in.

When I was a kid, I was all about "making a difference" when I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Hell, I still admit to not entirely knowing what it means. But at least if I can improve my lot in life as well as those that work under me, then I'll at least be satisfied with that. After all, it's better than sitting around and twiddling my thumbs while I'm watching dumbasses living it up better than me.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

UoI posted:

That is only true if we see MML on the cover of Navy Times.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just remember, being a good [sailor/officer] is like being a good whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

Which is why my iron underwear is the best investment I ever made.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cosmic Fury posted:

Which is why my iron underwear is the best investment I ever made.

Holy crap I just drove my buddy to the airport to pickup his mom and not only is she hot for her age (10yr older than me) she's also drunk from her Austin layover.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

LingcodKilla posted:

Holy crap I just drove my buddy to the airport to pickup his mom and not only is she hot for her age (10yr older than me) she's also drunk from her Austin layover.

Nooooo shipmate remember your sapr training if she's drunk she can't consent!

Jk dude be a mother fucker

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

"gently caress off"
deep cover

Remember the chat we had at work yesterday? What I told you still stands. Go IT...it will net you a much more tangible skillset on the outside than anything else in that list.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Just remember, being a good [sailor/officer] is like being a good whore. The better you are the more you get hosed.

qft

MegaJoe89 posted:

qft

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I prefer the duffel blog response
http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/04/jcs-dont-care-youre-resigning/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nooooo shipmate remember your sapr training if she's drunk she can't consent!

Jk dude be a mother fucker

Thanks for the reminder shipmate.

If I drink a six pack really quick I think I'll be on the same level though.

• Locked thread