Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Dalael posted:

gently caress! Sometimes I just can't loving understand this RNG bullshit. I can never hit anything long range with m y Nagato. Its ridiculous. Its not that I have bad aim or anything like that. If it was a matter of sucking at aiming, I wouldn't care as much. But when every single fuckign shot is perfectly aimed for the middle of the ship, but all god drat shells hit water on both sides of the ship its just infuriating. What pisses me off the most is when I'm fighting another Nagato at long range, and while my shots just land on both side, his hit non-stop.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

What's your name in game? I gave that treatment to several other Nagatos tonight. It needs the gun upgrade to not be a pile of poo poo at range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Lee Outrageous posted:

What's your name in game? I gave that treatment to several other Nagatos tonight. It needs the gun upgrade to not be a pile of poo poo at range.

Same as my SA name.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So, I had a game in the murder-machine named Cleveland tonight, and this happened:

Followed by this, easily the best DD game I've ever had:

Good times.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

James Garfield posted:

"[something nerds don't like] poi" gets fairly consistent results. "Anime is for children poi" works a lot better than without the poi.

Could someone please explain "poi" please? It appears I need to know what it means in order to fully understand botes.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Atomizer posted:

Could someone please explain "poi" please? It appears I need to know what it means in order to fully understand botes.

Something about an anime about boats. Kenculla I think? Kencolla? :shrug:

E: http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/03/30/kancolle-anime-characters-catchphrase-poi-is-poised-to-take-over-the-world-poi-poi/

TLDR: AH! Like I'm gonna read that poo poo for you.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dalael posted:

Something about an anime about boats. Kenculla I think? Kencolla? :shrug:

That helps me understand it even less. I don't watch gay Japanese cartoons for children.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Atomizer posted:

That helps me understand it even less. I don't watch gay Japanese cartoons for children.

Edited my post with a link which I think may explain it. Did a quick google search for you.

E: Don't get me wrong. Some anime can be cool. But from the first picture I saw about it, its one of those anime with pre-pubescent girls like the japanese are so fond of. loving weirdos.

EE: Fun fact, I stopped talking to a friend of mine once he admitted being more attracted to prepubescent japanese anime girls than to a real, live woman... I just did not know how to deal with that information.. It was way too loving awkward.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 25, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Dalael posted:

Edited my post with a link which I think may explain it. Did a quick google search for you.

Yeah, I went back and read the link, I guess that kinda explains it now. It's an anime thing that either retards will "get" because they watch terrible cartoons and also play botes, or people who've lost their virginity won't get and will look on in bewilderment.

I did try searching for poi but it means other things (e.g. food) so I wasn't sure exactly which thing was connected to botes.

Thanks for clearing it up though!

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Atomizer posted:

There's a Japanese browser game called Kantai Collection. It's very simple, about collecting ships like pokemon, fleet management, development and RNG. The catch is of course, that the ships are represented as girls. The game was a massive success when it came out, followed later by an anime adaptation and a lovely vita port still in the works.

A lot of the IJN fleet is in there, along with a couple of the famous German battleships, like the Prinz Eugen and Bismarck. All of the ships have lines of dialogue, in combat, for various menus, time-sensitive ones, and even when you simply click them. Out of these ships, there's the IJN destroyer Yuudachi. Instead of trying to explain what Poi is and embarrassing myself over what it actually means in a sentence in Japanese, you can experience the poi for yourself, here! (You can pick her other lines next to the "Set" button)

Basically, it's a tick in her lines. You can also "modernize" ships, and their appearance can change as a result of that. When Yuudachi gets modernized twice, she gets hair flaps that make her look more like a dog, further fueling her popularity.

For some reason, people get really mad when you say Poi in-game. I have no idea what that's all about, but that's the power of anime for you, I guess. :livintrope:

Edit: Welp this was kind of a redundant effort post in the end but hey.

OSad fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 25, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

OSad posted:

For some reason, people get really mad when you say Poi in-game. I have no idea what that's all about, but that's the power of anime for you, I guess. :livintrope:

Edit: Welp this was kind of a redundant effort post in the end but hey.

People get mad because:

1- Its loving annoying to read POI all the time.
2- Its loving retarded.
3- Its from another one of those anime thats all about pre-buscent girls which for some reason, japanese people think is okay to fantasize about (Modern Japanese culture is loving weird and if it wasn't for the international community, I am 99.9999999999999999999999999999 sure they'd be okay with pedophilia)
4- Prebubescent anime girls with dog ears? Sounds a lot like furries to me. (Guess they're okay with bestiality too)

I am sure there are more reasons than that, but those should be sufficient.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's also a famous Hawaiian dish that ranges from sweet to sour as it ages.

There's apparently a performance art based around spinning balls on string in rhythmic patterns called Poi. Modern Poi uses glowstick technology to make some performances a really trippy experience.

Also the balls/objects can be on fire :staredog:

I have learned something neat today. Now I can make references and call pubbies uncultured rubes for not getting them as they wallow in their plebian anime memes :colbert:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Suggesting I use alt has really helped my carrier game. And then I got to the independence carrier and realized how lovely dive bombers really are. Atleast I sunk a battleship that game by ramming him.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Dalael posted:

gently caress! Sometimes I just can't loving understand this RNG bullshit. I can never hit anything long range with m y Nagato. Its ridiculous. Its not that I have bad aim or anything like that. If it was a matter of sucking at aiming, I wouldn't care as much. But when every single fuckign shot is perfectly aimed for the middle of the ship, but all god drat shells hit water on both sides of the ship its just infuriating. What pisses me off the most is when I'm fighting another Nagato at long range, and while my shots just land on both side, his hit non-stop.

:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Earlier I lost a Wickes on Wickes duel because literally every hit from the enemy Wickes was a citadel hit. I even hit it with a torpedo, and hit with more of my shells than the enemy ship, and it was irrelevant because the enemy shells happened to disperse onto a favorable part of the aim circle. :(

Exponential damage RNG is stupid.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

As I'm just starting out, what should I focus on, getting higher tier ships or upgrading my lowbie ships? Also what are sone of the better ships to aim for?

I haven't played tanks much and all the options confuse me :negative:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Willeh posted:

As I'm just starting out, what should I focus on, getting higher tier ships or upgrading my lowbie ships? Also what are sone of the better ships to aim for?

I'm intentionally being a dick and just firing HE all the time because 1) it's fun setting people on fire and making them burn (no pun intended) their repair kits, and 2) gently caress it, who cares it's all meaningless and will be reset.

Aim for the Cleveland and the Kongo as good mid-tier targets.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 25, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Willeh posted:

Don;t worry too much about loving things up and getting the wrong upgrades, it's all getting wiped at the end of CBT heading into OBT soft launch. Just drive ships, find ones you enjoy and remember them for after the reset; there'll be plenty of advice on the right upgrades to get later, especially since half of it is likely to change anyway. I have so many tanks with "wrong" vents on them now.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
My strategy has been to pick the ships that go bang and make the enemy ships go boom and it's been working out p good so far

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The best part about playing American cruisers is when you get a salvo dead on that blows somebody clean in half, and they accuse you of buying your aiming skill from Russia. :allears:

"But I was turning!"
:qqsay:

Maybe one slow, unmodified turn isn't that hard to lead!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Willeh posted:

Get the St. Louis, fully upgrade it.. pimp out to the max. Never ever sell it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

demonR6 posted:

Get the St. Louis, fully upgrade it.. pimp out to the max. Never ever sell it.

Yeah, the St. Louis is sort of the Churchill III of WoWS. A giant brick of a ship that makes you feel giddy firing off an all-gun broadside, even if you're barely scraping past 10km effective range.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think after playing many, many games with the Cleveland, I finally got a handle on the ship and it is definitely my favourite ship in the game so far. I think the upgrade that gives you a better RoF is necessary, the turning rate on the guns isn't too bad and you can improve it with your captain/upgrades anyway. The thing will absolutely smash cruisers, destroyers and even battleships if they are otherwise preoccupied and you can pump 6 second volleys. I'm pretty bad at aiming but with the Cleveland I don't even really need to aim. I love it.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Tekopo posted:

I think after playing many, many games with the Cleveland, I finally got a handle on the ship and it is definitely my favourite ship in the game so far. I think the upgrade that gives you a better RoF is necessary, the turning rate on the guns isn't too bad and you can improve it with your captain/upgrades anyway. The thing will absolutely smash cruisers, destroyers and even battleships if they are otherwise preoccupied and you can pump 6 second volleys. I'm pretty bad at aiming but with the Cleveland I don't even really need to aim. I love it.

There is no upgrade that increases RoF. The one you're thinking of actually decreases RoF, while giving higher turret rotation speed. The upgrade that increases main battery accuracy is a no-brainer in that slot on most/all ships.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

PirateBob posted:

There is no upgrade that increases RoF. The one you're thinking of actually decreases RoF, while giving higher turret rotation speed. The upgrade that increases main battery accuracy is a no-brainer in that slot on most/all ships.
Ummm there is. The upgrade for the guns gives 7.5 rounds per minutes with 32.7 sec turning time, as opposed to 6 rounds per minute with 22.5 sec turning time for vanilla guns.

Edit: sorry I meant the module, not upgrade. My mistake for making it unclear.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

PirateBob posted:

The upgrade that increases main battery accuracy is a no-brainer in that slot on most/all ships.

I don't know, the RoF/Turret turn time upgrade is pretty nice, especially on battleships.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's a rate of fire downgrade, actually, it makes your reloads longer.

It's pretty bad.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

El Disco posted:

I don't know, the RoF/Turret turn time upgrade is pretty nice, especially on battleships.

How often are you turning the turrets around in a BB? Enough to sacrifice 10% of your DPM?

Assuming you aren't just confused about what that upgrade actually does...

vvv
lol. I made the same mistake the first time I bought an upgrade. The description is somewhat unclear.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 25, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

hopterque posted:

It's a rate of fire downgrade, actually, it makes your reloads longer.

It's pretty bad.

PirateBob posted:

How often are you turning the turrets around in a BB? Enough to sacrifice 10% of your DPM?

Assuming you aren't just confused about what that upgrade actually does...

Oh for fucks sake, I thought it was a bonus to RoF. :doh:

brb, destroying some upgrades...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

El Disco posted:

Oh for fucks sake, I thought it was a bonus to RoF. :doh:

brb, destroying some upgrades...

Welp.. gently caress me. Didn't need all that money anyway!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Hatsuharu Trip Report, Day 3 1/2:

:stonklol:

I'M FREE! FREE AT LAST!

gently caress this cursed tub forever, off to the junkyard she goes.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I totally bought into beta like a scrub and gently caress is it awesome. I'm only rocking tier 2 cruisers but still it puts a smile on my face.

I can't wait to group up with some of you goonies.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just had a Cleveland game where I shot down 33 planes. I bet that carrier driver was really not happy with me, especially when I went and sunk him. I even shot down a scout :haw:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Pubbies just can't wrap their head around how to hit someone Tokyo Drifting the map edge. Killed a ~half health Amagi and full health Kongo because they missed everything forever at like 12km.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Playing the Phoenix kind of feels like I made a wish with a monkey's paw. I keep getting the most XP of anyone in the game... but my team always loses.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
http://wowsdb.info/

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Magni posted:

I'M FREE! FREE AT LAST!

Are those stats only for the Hatsuharu? How do you get that? I can get my overall summary, but not by individual ship that I've found so far.

Also, holy poo poo pubbies are stupid. Low tier game earlier, we have a St. Louis and Chikuma? (the T2 IJN cruiser) vs. a Kawachi. The Chikuma is capping, the St. Louis is fighting the Kawachi who is on our cap. St. Louis does a decent job (could have won if he'd had an entire broadside on target) and keeps the Kawachi reset until the Chikuma has 50% cap, so with only the Chikuma and Kawachi (at 8k health) left, the game is won. Right up until our Chikuma leaves the cap to go back and fight the Kawachi. *ugh*. He can barely get there in time, but when he gets there and is almost to come out from behind an island to light the Kawachi, he comes to a dead stop, sits there for a minute, and then begins to move ahead, so that when he comes around into the open he's doing maybe 3 knots, at less than 3km from the Kawachi. Salvoed out in one shot of course.

:negative:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Hmm, the Kagero is actually pretty good.

Torpedo speed is more important than it looks.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Magni posted:

I'M FREE! FREE AT LAST!

I'm surprised you made it through the Mutsuki. I sure didn't.

Best part was getting the Fletcher and realizing that it has better torpedoes too.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is this still buy-in only?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Tindahbawx posted:

Is this still buy-in only?

Pre-ordering a package gets you into the Closed Beta immediately, but the application page for testing is still working, so you could just apply to be a beta tester and wait, you might get selected if they want to expand the number of testers at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

The Locator posted:

Are those stats only for the Hatsuharu? How do you get that? I can get my overall summary, but not by individual ship that I've found so far.

Take a look at your account on the WoWs webpage. It has a more detailed stats page.

Vengarr posted:

I'm surprised you made it through the Mutsuki. I sure didn't.

Best part was getting the Fletcher and realizing that it has better torpedoes too.

Well the Fletcher is three tiers higher than the Mutsuki. :v:

I found her to be kinda meh, but actually useable. Just pretend you're a ninja every ~90secs by either throwing torps at someone from beyond your detection range or by ambushing and killing someone around a corner or by sneaking through half the enemy team to murder the carrier. The Hatsuharu has more useable guns, but is a bigger tub that gets detected from farther out and the same torps and it's just painful.

Fubuki OTOH? Enough guns to make them really useful for HE spamming at DDs and carriers, 3*3 torpedos with the upgraded ones having 15km range and with the concealment mod upgrade you're actually less visible than the Hatsuharu.

Magni fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 26, 2015