Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Tormented posted:

But WoW was never that hard on getting into upper content, Wildstar took that page from Everquest. Where not until a couple of years ago you still had to do decades old raid content just to get the items needed to do current raids.

Going to assume you're talking about Epic 1.0s here.

EQ Epics were so hit and miss. They ranged from lackluster(Necro, Wizard) to You Need This Or You Are A Scrub(Cleric, Bard). Some classes wouldn't even get groups if you didn't have it.(Mage) Then there was the random difficulty some of them were to obtain. I am so glad I didn't play a warrior. I mained a rogue who had their epics delivered mail order for free pretty much.

My Ragebringer is still in my rogues ranged slot before they changed it to main/offhand. I would hotswap in a Gundrak Harpoon for backstabs until the day came when I got a Primal Spear. I thought I read they added in an NPC in Plane of Fear that will spawn your epic mob for you now. About 10ish years too late but sure why not.

This doesn't have anything to do with Wildstar but I do like Everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Givin posted:

Going to assume you're talking about Epic 1.0s here.

EQ Epics were so hit and miss. They ranged from lackluster(Necro, Wizard) to You Need This Or You Are A Scrub(Cleric, Bard). Some classes wouldn't even get groups if you didn't have it.(Mage) Then there was the random difficulty some of them were to obtain. I am so glad I didn't play a warrior. I mained a rogue who had their epics delivered mail order for free pretty much.

My Ragebringer is still in my rogues ranged slot before they changed it to main/offhand. I would hotswap in a Gundrak Harpoon for backstabs until the day came when I got a Primal Spear. I thought I read they added in an NPC in Plane of Fear that will spawn your epic mob for you now. About 10ish years too late but sure why not.

This doesn't have anything to do with Wildstar but I do like Everquest.

Yeah, it wasn't a hard lockout but with certain classes you were expected to have certain item rotations to be invited to any raid hence you had to farm up those old items which could mean you had to attune yourself to a "classic" raid.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I liked when people compared the wildstar attunement to BC's, and they neglected the fact that the attunement for BC was for every single raid in all of BC. Getting into karazhan took a guild group about an hour if two of you had epic flying to summon people to the next instance for the group stuff and then another half hour to hour for you to do, and getting into karazhan is the equivalent raid for what they put in wildstar. There was that giant infographic for BC that they liked to post to prove that wow had attunements that were just as bad and see they know what they're doing you just don't remember.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it also neglected to say that as bc went on they started removing the attunements and sunwell didn't even require one

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Bauxite posted:

I liked when people compared the wildstar attunement to BC's, and they neglected the fact that the attunement for BC was for every single raid in all of BC. Getting into karazhan took a guild group about an hour if two of you had epic flying to summon people to the next instance for the group stuff and then another half hour to hour for you to do, and getting into karazhan is the equivalent raid for what they put in wildstar. There was that giant infographic for BC that they liked to post to prove that wow had attunements that were just as bad and see they know what they're doing you just don't remember.

No I remember but everyone was directly referring to Classic WoW which for some reason keeps coming up. BC had the long quests lines with multiple dungeon runs but nothing to crazy and stuff you would be doing anyway to gear up.

Wildstar just went batshit insane with this old tried and failed concept.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Almost like Blizzard learned from their mistakes and started to slowly correct them to make the game more palatable to non-poopsockers, unlike Wildstar

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Uh, Blizzard learned The Wrong Lessons. Wildstar is WOW Done Right, after all.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My entire guild got attuned to tempest keep because one group completed arcatraz heroic and we shuffled in like 30 other people to touch the cheevo button to complete it. i dont see the problem with attunements???

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The only dumb pseudo attunment from BC was the Nightbane urn. And that was only poo poo because Blizzard believed for the longest time that players wanted to fight 360 degree chain cleaving mob packs in Shattered Halls.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is nightbane the dragon skeleton in karazhan? Obtuse attunements for a single fight within a raid are cool. Nightbane was cool. He was like the 14th boss in Karazhan so it wasn't a huge deal that you skipped him most of the time.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The dreadlord in dire maul is also cool, because basically nobody ever saw him even though he had his own loot tables and BiS bracers for warriors at the time.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

I kind of wish they did an attunement that didn't gate access to the content, but not doing the content made it more difficult. Think of it like choosing to either bring an item that cut a boss's aoe damage in half or choosing to be Men. I don't know how that would work out at all, but gently caress if you want to have this hardon for attunements at least play around with the idea or something.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The coolest attunement was The Lurker Below.
Less cool but still kinda cool attunements are the guy who had an ability that just killed you unless you had an onyxia hide cloak (was it nef?)

I guess basically a boss can be esoteric and obscure as gently caress as long as only one person has to present the regal dragoncock statuette required to draw him forth.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

The coolest attunement was The Lurker Below.
Less cool but still kinda cool attunements are the guy who had an ability that just killed you unless you had an onyxia hide cloak (was it nef?)

I guess basically a boss can be esoteric and obscure as gently caress as long as only one person has to present the regal dragoncock statuette required to draw him forth.

The best part about lurker below was having 24 people sit around in position waiting and watching one guy fish.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Literally The Worst posted:

Almost like Blizzard learned from their mistakes and started to slowly correct them to make the game more palatable to non-poopsockers, unlike Wildstar

It wasn't even a "mistake", though, that's the point Bauxite and Tormented are trying to make. The Wildstar devs never understood that the raids were, and should, always be accessible during Warcraft's lifetime. They eventually abolished the concept of the "breadcrumb attunement" to guide you to other content entirely, but the point was almost never to make content inaccessible. (The only content they made truly inaccessible was Naxxramas, and despite the attunement for that being actually rather punishing, it was really inaccessible due to its ridiculous tuning.)

Tormented posted:

There was NEVER a time where the window didn't work. Blizzard did think about not having the "Shortcut" during beta but then just went with this.

Ah, but to :goonsay: a little bit, this is also not quite correct. The "run through Blackrock Depths to get to the raid instance" concept did make it to live launch, and was how you did it up through patch 1.3 in March 2005; the window attunement was added at that point. It was implemented mostly due to server stress and instance issues, actually, rather than anything else: Warcraft, it has to be remembered, was never designed with a seven-figure playerbase in mind. The idea was that only a limited number of people would even be interested in raiding conceptually, and so it wouldn't strain the instance servers too heavily if people had to run through an old instance after full wipes. Instead, the instance servers were getting hammered in general and I remember there being constant problems with groups within a raid getting new, uncleared versions of BRD and getting cut off, never mind the other raid lockout issues Blizzard had early on.

But even at all that, the fact remains: Molten Core originally had no attunement at all. The attunement was "could you get 40 people to wreck your way through Blackrock Depths and reach the entrance". Even Vanilla WoW's raiding was hilariously accessible compared to Wildstar - the only challenge was finding all the bodies you wanted. Wildstar's idiotic attunements have no real comparison in Warcraft's history.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In general, I find that the challenges which attunements offer are fine as long as they are fun. The problem is what they reward. They gate content and the reward is unlocking that content. I say that they get rid of that reward and replace it with really interesting and unique loot. Make the reward something that is more interesting than high stats.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
All difficult content should have a semi-difficult (but not long) attunement step to:
1. Keep horrific people out of the pool of players attempting it
2. To allow horrific people to pay me money to let them into the pool.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Tormented posted:

There was NEVER a time where the window didn't work.

I thought male Tauren couldn't get through the window at one point? Or was that female Tauren?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How do yall feel about the new backwards attunement system where you're able to do any raid at any time except the wall comes from humans who refuse to play with someone who can't link a legendary item created from within that dungeon?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

How do yall feel about the new backwards attunement system where you're able to do any raid at any time except the wall comes from humans who refuse to play with someone who can't link a legendary item created from within that dungeon?

Well, you can't stop regular people being lovely, but I can stop developers being lovely people with their game by not buying or playing it.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

In addition to what Bauxite said, this is not new. It has always existed and it always will in one form or another.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Perhaps the ultimate achievement is earning the respect of your disgusting peers.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

More like joining a good guild so you can rightfully ignore/make fun of these people. For me, triggering the sperglords is an achievement in itself. It is the best daily quest.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My experience is joining a party and being unable to tell which is which. Cards in mouth, etc, etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

To be fair I've heard they made the attunement slightly easier. I think you just have to complete the dungeons now, rather than speedrun them, and they were always the only part of the chain that was actually difficult. And the boss of the raid drops an item that you can give to another player to instantly attune them. The real question is whether there will ever be another person who wants to get attuned to a Wildstar raid who isn't already.

Gaybee
Jul 16, 2002
To anyone still playing: Is there a high population idling in cities? I know sub numbers would be pretty low, but there should be some activity going on.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

To be fair I've heard they made the attunement slightly easier. I think you just have to complete the dungeons now, rather than speedrun them, and they were always the only part of the chain that was actually difficult. And the boss of the raid drops an item that you can give to another player to instantly attune them. The real question is whether there will ever be another person who wants to get attuned to a Wildstar raid who isn't already.

Yeah, uh, the problem with attunements wasn't ever how hard or easy they were. It was that it was a bunch of terrible lovely busywork chores that didn't get you anything except access to content.

And unless they changed it that item only dropped from the last boss in the 40 man raid, so gfl getting one of those.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bauxite posted:

Yeah, uh, the problem with attunements wasn't ever how hard or easy they were. It was that it was a bunch of terrible lovely busywork chores that didn't get you anything except access to content.

Yep, this is why Attunement went away in WoW, because no matter how palatable pointlessly jumping through hoops, is it's still pointlessly jumping through hoops. I could see a short, simple breadcrumb quests to lead into a raid but nothing like Wildstar infographic of failure. Attunements in Wildstar are nothing but cargo cult nonsense: Carbine never learned that you don't need some sort of tedious busywork to separate the HARDCORE RAID DUDES from the casuals, actual good raid bosses do that quite well. But then again Wildstar didn't have those either, it's funny he was brought up a little bit ago because the final boss of Genetic Archives, the initial 20-person raid was basically just Lurker Below.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I thought the TBC attunement was kind of neat, except for the rep grind and the need to do it again if you had multiple characters.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

The Moon Monster posted:

The only change was making it to bronze. You stiill have to contend with the rest of the attunement.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Schubalts posted:

Ok, getting closer. I found a gif I had saved of an aircombo to a grab, but for a different class. It's a spinning piledriver.

I think Kirbysuperstar made this one. From back when we had a thread for Chinese B&S.
Holy poo poo. B&S is Blade and Soul right? Did it ever come out over here because that's something I would love to throw at least a month's sub into on the promise of being able to Inazuma Drop assholes.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Gaybee posted:

To anyone still playing: Is there a high population idling in cities? I know sub numbers would be pretty low, but there should be some activity going on.

i was reading a wildstar thread somewhere cause i was curious on the state of the game and a dude posted a picture of 7 dudes doing a mount conga line with "WOULD A DEAD GAME HAVE THIS??? STOP SAYING DEAD GAME"

worth noting that he was in a main city and there was not a single player not in his tiny conga line

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pierson posted:

Holy poo poo. B&S is Blade and Soul right? Did it ever come out over here because that's something I would love to throw at least a month's sub into on the promise of being able to Inazuma Drop assholes.

You have to download the chinese version because NCSoft never bothered localizing it.

Or the japanese one actually, it went f2p recently

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 25, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Blade & Soul is the gigantic oily buttock simulator you've always dreamed of

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

that was a big fart

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

i know it blew the rear end out of her costume right

ACTUAL GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE

no really that is from the game

no, seriously!

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right? And there was a whole little teacup storm when they toned down the naked child butt for the US release?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It has such a race but it's like, one of 4 or 5 active and fairly popular titles that has "the pedo race"

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right? And there was a whole little teacup storm when they toned down the naked child butt for the US release?

That was Tera I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Bauxite posted:

And unless they changed it that item only dropped from the last boss in the 40 man raid, so gfl getting one of those.

Well, the post I was quoting did say "slowly".

• Locked thread