Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Yeah, I've not heard much griping about formations and the like, honestly. The bonuses are cool and balanced by, as you note, the high cost and required models. Personally, I love the Decurion style and glad more books are moving towards it. The Aspects are all awesome as well.

Most of the hate assumes your opponent uses a CAD and spams D weapons or Bikes, neither of which have an outside balance besides "ehhhh they get sort of costly, I guess?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
But if you take the single guardian host you can spam 12 Wraithguard/Knight/Fighters perfectly legally. It seems like a very easy book to break.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Fire dragons in a wave serpent were a core of old Eldar lists. Could someone explain how wraithguard with a potential D flamer weapon would be a worse pick now? It used to be the dragons supplied almost the equivalent fire vs most targets for the same cost.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Some gameplay footage from Regicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NO5wHRm1BM

Not exactly chess I guess, but still looks pretty basic.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

TKIY posted:

Some gameplay footage from Regicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NO5wHRm1BM

Not exactly chess I guess, but still looks pretty basic.

THIS AINT YOUR DADDYS CHESS!

*throws a grenade*

OH YEAHHH

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I had held out hopes that all the rumours were part of a GW sting to try and plug the leaks, that GW Employees were shooting each other up like in The Departed. It will be interesting to see if the reality is anything like some of the worries that have been expressed.

As such it won't affect me so much on account I lose mostly anyway. Although I did d win my first game at last weekends tournament and was, for a short period, top of the leaderboard. Until I was tabled in the next round.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Von Humboldt posted:

Yeah, I've not heard much griping about formations and the like, honestly. The bonuses are cool and balanced by, as you note, the high cost and required models. Personally, I love the Decurion style and glad more books are moving towards it. The Aspects are all awesome as well.

The worst offenders on the formations front are pretty much the ones that have been around for a long time now- the Adamantine Lance and Firebase Support Cadre. The majority of the newer formations and in the decent-to-good range, but none of them are as game-breaking as those two. (The Corpsetheif Claw, from DE, is very strong but suffers from being part of the DE codex and thus doesn't have great support or allies.)

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

AbusePuppy posted:

The worst offenders on the formations front are pretty much the ones that have been around for a long time now- the Adamantine Lance and Firebase Support Cadre. The majority of the newer formations and in the decent-to-good range, but none of them are as game-breaking as those two. (The Corpsetheif Claw, from DE, is very strong but suffers from being part of the DE codex and thus doesn't have great support or allies.)

Why all the DE hate? Are they really that bad in your meta or something?

Sisters or Dark Angels or Chaos I would understand, but why the DE?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Reynold posted:

THIS AINT YOUR DADDYS CHESS!

*throws a grenade*

OH YEAHHH

Ork killing simulator. Though that's a thing that can be said of every warhammer video game. Orks must die indeed.

Is that a statue in the background of the video of the demon thing from Legend? Brutal.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Why all the DE hate? Are they really that bad in your meta or something?

Sisters or Dark Angels or Chaos I would understand, but why the DE?

DE suffer from being pretty good against some things, but just completely folding up and dying horribly against others. Their codex lacks options (as large swathes of of are essentially useless) and, combined with their poor ally matrix, puts them in a position of lots of games simply coming down to who you happened to match up against. They will, for example, roll over Orks or Tyranids most of the time as well as Biker Marines, but die horrifically to GK, Tau, Eldar, and Necrons. It's just a really poorly-designed codex that lives entirely on the back of two weapon profiles and the Haemonculii supplement does essentially nothing to fix that.

DE can win fights, but along with GK they exemplify the lazy design philosophy of a lot of the early 7E books- turn unique rules into USRs, make the special characters lovely and worthless, make the best unit from the previous codex weaker and then call it a day.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I've played against DE as Necrons a few times, and I have never not loving rolled them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Eldar Formations and Warhost doesn't look at first glance awesome then you realize that the Aspect Host at minimum units in it can move 12" and still shoot because of Battle Focus, then they all have BS5 or WS5 makes the Aspects well worth taking. It even makes Shining Spears kind of good with Bumping their WS up to 5.

I think it's pretty cool.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Oh yeah, the bonuses are absolutely terrific, it's just a matter of building the list around them.

Something bothering me is that I often take 1 unit of Shining Spears - that is a favourite unit of mine (despite their underwhelming rules changes) and WS5 would help them, but obviously I am giving up BS5 on other aspect units unless I take an aspect formation specifically for 3xclose combat aspects. And I am considering some conversions for scorpions or banshees. Don't know how well they will fit into a mobile force though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Seems like spacing infiltrating Striking Scorpions, a D-Cannon battery, and a Wraithknight is a pretty good away to deny huge swathes of the board to an opponent.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Or just the D-Cannon battery, with a unit a Wrathguard walking in front will pretty much own half a 4x4

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

It's like somebody over there read my mind. 3 shots and a better range makes the laser destroyer way more attractive. With POTMs it costs the same as 3 rapiers with the exact same gun, but it can move and shoot. More fragile though and that side armor still sucks big time.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Definitely agree on the formation stuff. I ran a Decurion formation for the first time yesterday using a Reclamation Legion of two units of 10 Warriors, 10 Immortals in a Night Scythe, 3 Tomb Blades and the Overlord as well as 5 Lychguard. Just to run the basic Core formation is expensive but very worth it for the extra chance of successful Reanimation Protocol rolls. The Canoptek Harvest unit is crazy powerful with the ability to use RP on Canoptek stuff.

Funnily enough I played against a friend's Eldar using the new book yesterday and while he doesn't have the force he wants to run yet, it was interesting. Lack of D weapons and Jetbikes so can't really judge but Wraithknight being a GC is painful for sure. I sat there crossing my fingers every time he rolled the Stomp attacks against my Nightbringer shard (which was awesome. Gaze of Death is not to be messed with.) since a 6 just removes it from play. Was still a pretty epic fight though. Wave Serpents definitely aren't as nasty as they used to be but can still put out a decent amount of firepower.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Oh yeah, the bonuses are absolutely terrific, it's just a matter of building the list around them.

Something bothering me is that I often take 1 unit of Shining Spears - that is a favourite unit of mine (despite their underwhelming rules changes) and WS5 would help them, but obviously I am giving up BS5 on other aspect units unless I take an aspect formation specifically for 3xclose combat aspects. And I am considering some conversions for scorpions or banshees. Don't know how well they will fit into a mobile force though.

I would not worry about them not being mobile, with the formation bonus of always run 6" Scorpions can book it at 12" that first turn and Banshees move 15" if they decide to run. So not exactly slow pokes.

Fuegan posted:

Definitely agree on the formation stuff. I ran a Decurion formation for the first time yesterday using a Reclamation Legion of two units of 10 Warriors, 10 Immortals in a Night Scythe, 3 Tomb Blades and the Overlord as well as 5 Lychguard. Just to run the basic Core formation is expensive but very worth it for the extra chance of successful Reanimation Protocol rolls. The Canoptek Harvest unit is crazy powerful with the ability to use RP on Canoptek stuff.

Funnily enough I played against a friend's Eldar using the new book yesterday and while he doesn't have the force he wants to run yet, it was interesting. Lack of D weapons and Jetbikes so can't really judge but Wraithknight being a GC is painful for sure. I sat there crossing my fingers every time he rolled the Stomp attacks against my Nightbringer shard (which was awesome. Gaze of Death is not to be messed with.) since a 6 just removes it from play. Was still a pretty epic fight though. Wave Serpents definitely aren't as nasty as they used to be but can still put out a decent amount of firepower.

Deathmarks special ability at wounding always on a 2+ when they arrive from deep strike is probably going to be coming in handy in the future.

I need more Tomb Blades.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know where to get cheap monowheels? I'm looking to convert up some of the necron jetbikes.
http://tobsen77.de/products/monowheel.php seems like it could work.
Rivet wars has some minis that could work, but they would probably be a lot more expensive to get in mass.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Abusepuppy is that your article on Frontlinegaming? It's pretty good.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You gotta link that poo poo bro. Don't leave us hanging.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
How to make Dark Eldar interesting and fun:

Make all the weird leadership and fear stuff actually affect Space Marines. Don't worry about the cheque GW you can have that one for free.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

How many point army does the dark vengeance set give me? I want to start playing but that army type doesn't seem very interesting but I really just want to play. Any ideas?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's about a 500 point army per side. What army type would you be interested in?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

BULBASAUR posted:

You gotta link that poo poo bro. Don't leave us hanging.

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2015/04/24/what-do-we-do-with-a-broken-codex/

I'm pretty sure this is abusepuppy but I dunno. He hasn't said anything, regardless it's a good article.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Jesus christ, support weapon platforms get D weapons? Some of the upgrades only cost 32 points?

:pcgaming:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wraithguard are like 32? points with D - Weapon , 42? with D-Scythe
D-Weapon Support Batters which are St D Blasts are like 55? I wanna say
Wraithknight 295
Hemlock Wraithfighter 185

So fairly inexpensive actually. I mean a Wraith Lord, 2 D- Cannons and 5 Wraith Guard in a Waveserpent is like 700ish if you give the Wraithguard D-Scythes. Any of those will kill anything in the game.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hollismason posted:

D-Weapon Support Batters which are St D Blasts are like 55

:pcgaming:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Warhammer 40k: :pcgaming:

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Locally, we have two sets of TOs - I organize half the tournaments, and my buddies run the other half. In doing so, we can at least play in events regularly. We use the ITC format.

We have a tournament tomorrow. The Eldar book is out, and ITC is silent. My friends have decided to just roll with it, meaning all the Eldar D is legal barring the Wraithknight. I know of at least two, possibly upwards to four, players who will be stacking D Weapons all over the place.

I am running three Chimeras, three Russes, two Valks, and a Brass Scorpion.

HEAVEN OR HELL, LET'S DO THIS.

(I am going to get loving rallied, but it is at least going to be entertaining and short - and demonstrate neatly the issues with D Weapons. Not that it is my intention.)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think that Striking Scorpions are actually pretty solid now- Stealth and Shrouded, along with the poisoned autohit, makes them pretty tough and pretty killy. Especially if you have some other stuff to support them (like those Shining Spears for hunting MCs/tanks and a Wraithguy as well) you should be able to leverage them quite well. Remember that WS5 isn't the only way to get bonuses- a Farseer on a Jetbike casting Prescience on them will really ramp up how hard they hit, and an Autarch can hand out some nice bonuses as well. Also don't forget about Hallucination (from Telepathy) and Drain (from Runes of Battle), both of which can slap down that -1WS you need to really clean up on an enemy unit.

lemonslol posted:

How many point army does the dark vengeance set give me? I want to start playing but that army type doesn't seem very interesting but I really just want to play. Any ideas?

The first post in the thread has a great set of summaries of the various factions, I'd recommend taking a look at it if you haven't already. Also, browse the GW web store a bit and get a feel for what the models look like and which ones have an aesthetic that appeals to you. If you have a specific type of army that you're looking for, we can give recommendations as to what might fit that best, but we'd need a little more to go off of.

Von Humboldt posted:

Locally, we have two sets of TOs - I organize half the tournaments, and my buddies run the other half. In doing so, we can at least play in events regularly. We use the ITC format.

We have a tournament tomorrow. The Eldar book is out, and ITC is silent. My friends have decided to just roll with it, meaning all the Eldar D is legal barring the Wraithknight. I know of at least two, possibly upwards to four, players who will be stacking D Weapons all over the place.

I am running three Chimeras, three Russes, two Valks, and a Brass Scorpion.

HEAVEN OR HELL, LET'S DO THIS.

(I am going to get loving rallied, but it is at least going to be entertaining and short - and demonstrate neatly the issues with D Weapons. Not that it is my intention.)

I'm in the exact opposite position, as it turns out- our local TO... doesn't listen to stuff very much and refuses to use ITC, so there's a very good chance that I'm basically gonna be King D-Hole of the Warhams tomorrow.

REBEL 2, ACTION!

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I was looking to fix up some Beastmen Guardsmen conversions I'd made a few years back and realized that there appears to be no way to equip Guardsmen with Pistol / CCW outside of an HQ squad (which is not what I'd want to use this as anyway). Before I decide whether or not to swap them to lasguns or just figure out some "counts as" scheme, am I missing anything?

For reference, here are the Abhuman scum (trigger warning: unpainted models; trigger warning: phone pics):

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

thegodofchuck posted:

I was looking to fix up some Beastmen Guardsmen conversions I'd made a few years back and realized that there appears to be no way to equip Guardsmen with Pistol / CCW outside of an HQ squad (which is not what I'd want to use this as anyway). Before I decide whether or not to swap them to lasguns or just figure out some "counts as" scheme, am I missing anything?

Those are really cool looking, I wouldn't remodel them unless you want to. It's ten dudes, maybe they're really good at shooting laspistols so they count as lasguns but their clubs are too clumsy to be much help in close combat. gently caress it, Forge The Narrative™

You could use them as Repentia allies, maybe. I'd say to use them as Penal Legion but those are long gone, too.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

AbusePuppy posted:

there's a very good chance that I'm basically gonna be King D-Hole of the Warhams tomorrow.

so nothing's changed

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
There are chaos Cultist which are frequently pistol/ccw but that may not be your desired army.

If you have lasguns I would say they are buff enough to hold a rifle in one hand. The ccw id implied anyway so it wouldn't show an extra attack.

If you don't have lasguns maybe look for suitable stubber guns on ebay, I'm sure they are not as expensive as bit ordering lasrifles. Cultist for example have a nornal rifle but it's the same profile. That could work.

These are the greatcoat guy's guns:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/351228169447?nav=SEARCH

I would ppost pics but im phone posting.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AbusePuppy posted:

I think that Striking Scorpions are actually pretty solid now- Stealth and Shrouded, along with the poisoned autohit, makes them pretty tough and pretty killy. Especially if you have some other stuff to support them (like those Shining Spears for hunting MCs/tanks and a Wraithguy as well) you should be able to leverage them quite well. Remember that WS5 isn't the only way to get bonuses- a Farseer on a Jetbike casting Prescience on them will really ramp up how hard they hit, and an Autarch can hand out some nice bonuses as well. Also don't forget about Hallucination (from Telepathy) and Drain (from Runes of Battle), both of which can slap down that -1WS you need to really clean up on an enemy unit.

This is really interesting. I also realise now that if I don't want a 1-warlock conclave or to necessarily field 3 jetbike squads and a vyper squadron, I can take the sub-warhost formations and still remain battleforged. So perhaps a CAD of farseer, 2 bike squads (they don't benefit as much from the formation bonuses IMO) and then I can take the aspect/dire avenger hosts for the rest of the army. And any tanks etc can go in the CAD.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They could be warrior acolytes from Inquisition.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

That reminds me I'm still angry at them for removing penal legion troopers. Perfectly fine troop selection. I loved running Mordians as forging the narrative Commisar Cadets. Was just so easy. Had plans for the the beastmen too. Yours look really nice.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Rumours are starting to come out for the new knight kit. Bigger, tougher support knights with an anti-AA option to go with their big guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Hollismason posted:

Deathmarks special ability at wounding always on a 2+ when they arrive from deep strike is probably going to be coming in handy in the future.

I need more Tomb Blades.

Yeah definitely. I reckon it's going to have to be a squad of 10 to maximise potential rending wounds, plus increased probability of them failing saves. Tomb Blades are really fun to use. I ran mine with Nebuloscopes and Particle Beamers and they tore through the Eldar troop units.

• Locked thread