Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tatsuta Age posted:

Nintendo backs off of bringing Super Nintendo games to Wii U from Engadget.

Whether this is true or false, I've always wondered why they don't just release EVERYTHING from the SNES/NES. Is the VC stuff on Wii U basically an emulator wrapper? Why can't Nintendo just afford to pay a team of 5 people to QA test through games at a rate of a few a week, and just release everything? The ROI on rereleasing games on VC must be insane, hire me Nintendo!

Because it costs money to bring them up to Nintendo standards in their emulator, and they have to go in and bugfix each title individually. If that article's true, it sounds like they might be focusing on N64 VC games. Which isn't a bad idea, considering they have extra CPU to play with this time, and all the good SNES games are still on the Wii Shop Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Carrasco posted:

Is there a good way to use the Wii U Pro for PC gaming? Last I checked there wasn't, but it's been a while.

Mayflash to the rescue with a dongle. Makes the PC think it's a 360 pad for maximum compatibility or you can connect it as a generic controller with the switch it has and it'll allow four controllers to connect to the dongle at the same time.

NSMBU talk: It's pretty lovely that there still isn't an option to use the gamepad as a controller during multiplayer even though they patched in pro controller support. Thank god it's the only game to do that. Though touch controls in that game are surprisingly fun, but it should still be an option.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jivjov posted:

Almost every complaint I see about Nintendo stuff from SomethingAwful seems to come down to "Nintendo did something that isn't exactly 100% how I want it to be" followed up with "And they're loving terrible and awful and scumbags for it, why do I have to have a sack full of controllers/why do I have to buy an amiibo/why do I have to unscrew a screw/why can't we get faceplates in the US/whatever the gently caress". I get so defensive about it because its never just "Man, I wish it was done differently. It always seems to have a really hostile tone to it like this:

Not: "this isn't what I expected" but "gently caress you" "what the gently caress" "what the hell kind of stupid" etc.

Its even more annoying when complaints are things that are literally addressed on the game's documentation.

I don't have enough wiimotes to play Mario Party 10 with more than 1 other person, but if the game had been designed so that pro controllers could have been used, which they well could have chosen to do so, I would have happily bought the game. Instead, I did not buy the game. I did not lash out against Nintendo for doing this, and Mario Party isn't important to me so my disappointment was mild. I don't desire to own more wiimotes, and for multiplayer purposes I am more interested in games that will not require me to use last generation's controllers. I hope that if they make another party game for Wii U that they take that into consideration.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

13/f/cali posted:

I don't have enough wiimotes to play Mario Party 10 with more than 1 other person, but if the game had been designed so that pro controllers could have been used, which they well could have chosen to do so, I would have happily bought the game. Instead, I did not buy the game. I did not lash out against Nintendo for doing this, and Mario Party isn't important to me so my disappointment was mild. I don't desire to own more wiimotes, and for multiplayer purposes I am more interested in games that will not require me to use last generation's controllers. I hope that if they make another party game for Wii U that they take that into consideration.

jivjov's vision of the Wii U thread.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mycot posted:

jivjov's vision of the Wii U thread.

Pretty much. rational discussion and non-ranty disappointment.

I will say though, Mario Party would be a tougher series to have mixed controllers in. Pros don't have any kind of motion sensing built in, so having any Pro Controllers being used would lock out any motion-enabled Mini-games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

On the one hand, NSMBU not supporting the gamepad in normal multiplayer is loving stupid, but on the other hand you should already have enough wiimotes for everyone because you already played through NSMB Wii. And if you haven't, then you missed one of the best games on the Wii and that's sad. You should buy more wiimotes and fix that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Hey guys I'm dumb and got the wrong one so whoever wants this sweet code for a Wii copy of Super Metroid then have at ya!

SUPER METROID WII-CLUB
A02U-RV1X-2D2L-Y00G

NO LURKERS!!!!!!!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

jivjov posted:

Pretty much. rational discussion and non-ranty disappointment.

I will say though, Mario Party would be a tougher series to have mixed controllers in. Pros don't have any kind of motion sensing built in, so having any Pro Controllers being used would lock out any motion-enabled Mini-games.

Yeah, I was hoping they would have decided "we had two mario party games on the wii that had motion minigames, but now the main controllers for this console don't do that so maybe we should design something else." Or make a smaller subset of motion-only minigames and have an option to toggle those on if players are using wiimotes, kinda of like how in 6 and 7 you didn't absolutely have to have the microphone.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey guys it says right here on the box they made lovely design choices therefore all complaints are invalid.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So they localized Xenoblade Chronicles X's Dolls to Skells? Yeah, we don't wanna make it look like little Johnny is playing with dolls now. :gay:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There was a live event where Arino from Game Center CX made Mario Maker levels and you can do so many cool things. Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know in advance:

-Enemies can come out of ? blocks
-You can make bullet bill launchers fire streams of coins
-Trampolines can be set up to bounce off of each other
-levels in Mario 1 mode can scroll vertically

Mario Maker seems like it's going to be genuinely great just for all the neat stuff one can do.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have 250 points left over? I thought I had something and used up my coins. Now it turns out I don't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

13/f/cali posted:

There was a live event where Arino from Game Center CX made Mario Maker levels and you can do so many cool things. Spoilered in case anyone doesn't want to know in advance:

-Enemies can come out of ? blocks
-You can make bullet bill launchers fire streams of coins
-Trampolines can be set up to bounce off of each other
-levels in Mario 1 mode can scroll vertically

Mario Maker seems like it's going to be genuinely great just for all the neat stuff one can do.

I think we'd already seen all that. Also I don't think you can spoil a game maker.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Why would I give a poo poo about Wii U Virtual console releases for things that are already on the wii's VC?

I'm much more angry that the Wii U gives you access to every generation of gaming Nintendo has ever done... except gamecube. That's some certified bullshit, right there.

(And its also my excuse for softmodding. Sorry guys, I wanna play Double Dash whenever I want.)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MK8 DLC is really fun and 200 CC mode is crazy and basically a new game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Meanwhile every time tropical freeze tries something that isn't platforming I want to turn it off

Plz leave mine cart levels in the 90s

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

noirstronaut posted:

idk why any of this is even an issue when dn mode exists. just boot into that and you'll be fine afterwards and none of these issues exist. literally none.

What's dn mode?

Carrasco posted:

Is there a good way to use the Wii U Pro for PC gaming? Last I checked there wasn't, but it's been a while.

Apparently there's this thing?
http://www.wiinupro.com/home

I've never used it though, since most PC games these days are built around xbox controllers and you don't need to jump through bunch of hoops to get those working.

raditts fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 25, 2015

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Speaking of NSMBU, it seems the NSMB music isn't as disgusting once the wahs are out and it has different instruments:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy1cQbQcqhk

It's still more laid back than I'd like... but oh well.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Meanwhile every time tropical freeze tries something that isn't platforming I want to turn it off

Plz leave mine cart levels in the 90s

The mine cart levels are platforming :confused:

Also the mine cart levels own. So do the rocket barrel levels.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Speaking of Donkey Kong, platforming, and the '90s, I got around to playing Donkey Kong Country Returns recently and man does the platforming in this game feel like it's out of the '90s and not in a good way. Do they improve on this in the Tropical Freeze one? Because I have that one on the shelf for after I've beaten / had enough of this.

13/f/cali posted:

The only thing I'm dreading about that is how the sharing feature will be filled with unplayable sub-romhack poo poo. Hopefully a rating system will sort that all out though.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Someone uploaded it all to youtube, timestamp starts it at the beginning of the Mario Maker stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmg5DPAW8DE&t=1893s

Mario Maker's gonna be sick

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Rexroom posted:

So they localized Xenoblade Chronicles X's Dolls to Skells? Yeah, we don't wanna make it look like little Johnny is playing with dolls now. :gay:

lmao like any little kid is gonna touch xenoblade chronicles x anyway

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Homing Bullet bills? What are they from?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

raditts posted:

What's dn mode?

DEEZ NUTS

ha gottem

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

WadeBartender posted:

lmao like any little kid is gonna touch xenoblade chronicles x anyway

Let me rephrase then:

We don't wanna make it sound like Johnny is playing with dolls. That's ultra gay, man. What would his gamer bros think.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rexroom posted:

Let me rephrase then:

We don't wanna make it sound like Johnny is playing with dolls. That's ultra gay, man. What would his gamer bros think.

Dolls was a dumb name anyway. :colbert:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rexroom posted:

Let me rephrase then:

are you okay friend

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zonekeeper posted:

On the one hand, NSMBU not supporting the gamepad in normal multiplayer is loving stupid, but on the other hand you should already have enough wiimotes for everyone because you already played through NSMB Wii. And if you haven't, then you missed one of the best games on the Wii and that's sad. You should buy more wiimotes and fix that.

How people have not purchased an extra wiimote over the past 8 years is kind of surprising to me. I can understand the rage if we had to buy new Wii U branded controllers or the Motion Plus controller. But we don't. We can use the controllerthat came with our original Wiis 8 years ago.

I think the issue is with NSMBWU is that it was always intended to have a 5th player making blocks on the screen and not play as a character.

But by not having some extra wiimotes people are missing out on Nintendo Land

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

oddium posted:

are you okay friend

you don't understand!1

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Astro7x posted:

How people have not purchased an extra wiimote over the past 8 years is kind of surprising to me. I can understand the rage if we had to buy new Wii U branded controllers or the Motion Plus controller. But we don't. We can use the controllerthat came with our original Wiis 8 years ago.

I think the issue is with NSMBWU is that it was always intended to have a 5th player making blocks on the screen and not play as a character.

But by not having some extra wiimotes people are missing out on Nintendo Land

I gave away my old Wii

Also people move all the time and 8 year old system isn't the most likely to get packed up

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Hey guys I'm dumb and got the wrong one so whoever wants this sweet code for a Wii copy of Super Metroid then have at ya!

SUPER METROID WII-CLUB
A02U-RV1X-2D2L-Y00G

NO LURKERS!!!!!!!

Code was already used by someone who didn't post that they used it. :homebrew: Thank you though for giving the game away! Super Metroid is really good.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I gave away my old Wii

Did you learn anything?

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

absolutely anything posted:

Someone uploaded it all to youtube, timestamp starts it at the beginning of the Mario Maker stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmg5DPAW8DE&t=1893s

Mario Maker's gonna be sick

Everybody go watch this. It lets you spawn invisible coin blocks! We can literally make Kaizo Mario now! This is awesome!!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Rexroom posted:

Let me rephrase then:

who literally cares

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

raditts posted:

Speaking of Donkey Kong, platforming, and the '90s, I got around to playing Donkey Kong Country Returns recently and man does the platforming in this game feel like it's out of the '90s and not in a good way. Do they improve on this in the Tropical Freeze one? Because I have that one on the shelf for after I've beaten / had enough of this.

The Kongs have momentum. You have to be sure of your movements and plan ahead. You may not like it, but it's there by design.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When I first put in Returns I think I ran right into the first enemy in the game 4 times in a row.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think the one that bugs me the most is that the mechanic for bouncing higher off enemies is different from the mechanic for bouncing higher off non-enemy objects. I think I died like 20 times on that Platform Panic level before I realized that.

noirstronaut posted:

DEEZ NUTS

ha gottem

Oh, well thank you for that little trip back to the eighth grade.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 25, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Trent posted:

Did you learn anything?

Yeah I didn't miss it at all and it was kind of bad

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

Code was already used by someone who didn't post that they used it. :homebrew: Thank you though for giving the game away! Super Metroid is really good.

Man, that stinks. I clearly said NO LURKERS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

I gave away my old Wii

Also people move all the time and 8 year old system isn't the most likely to get packed up

lol

• Locked thread