Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Play Mobile Frame Zero everybody, it's a good game, it's been around for a decade and the creators deserve your money.

I wanted to play this last year so I made 12 mobile frames in the likenesses of the chinese zodiac. Then my loving roomate failed to make ANY with the legos I bought him.

I really want to play this game :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JcDent posted:

Or retroactive rear end covering, if you have a better idea now, but can reprint pdfs.

Btw, Chill, did you sell you IA stuff already?

Nope. I plan on keeping them for a diorama with 40k someday. I mostly have tau stuff and they look excellent as kites. The problem is finding enough non-battle figures to fly them. I think the tank crews and a couple other minis might be suitable enough for a park outing scene.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Assassinorum: Execution Force is $210 Australian funbucks

Star Wars X Wing $52 + $20 per expansion fighter or $38 for special boxes
Star Wars Armada $137 + $26/38/51 for expansions
Star Wars Imperial Assault $150
Zombicide $135
Descent 2nd $121
Super Dungeon Explore $155
Shadows of Brimstone $145

That's just the minis heavy games, rather than all the good board games, and those dungeon crawlers are really loving heavy on minis

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 25, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
more like rear end Santorum

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

NTRabbit posted:

Assassinorum: Execution Force is $210 Australian funbucks

Star Wars X Wing $52 + $20 per expansion fighter or $38 for special boxes
Star Wars Armada $137 + $26/38/51 for expansions
Star Wars Imperial Assault $150
Zombicide $135
Descent 2nd $121
Super Dungeon Explore $155
Shadows of Brimstone $145

That's just the minis heavy games, rather than all the good board games, and those dungeon crawlers are really loving heavy on minis

Counterpoint: none of these games have jewel like objects of wonder or are produced by a real workshop for games. Also I just checked and all these products are peddled by common merchants like pencils on a street corner. Many of them use proper exchange rates and I found pictures of their products on virtually any merchants website, on display like a common trollop. I would recommend sticking to only legitimate models from the obvious choice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So is Mantic more or less slowly producing analogues to GW's stuff but with better rules? Is there a more, I don't know, up front description than their store page? This thread is amazing for getting me to think about getting back into wargaming, or at least painting. I really miss painting.

Just, you know, not GW stuff.

JerryLee posted:

more like rear end Santorum
I like JerryLee posts

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
This thread got me looking at mantic and OMG it reads like some sort of weird GW time warp to the 90s. I mean that in a good way. Two big simple games and lots of really cool small scale mini games linked into if with overlap. Different buy ins ranging from all the models to cool skirmish teams. Really reminds me of what got me hooked on GW back in the day.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Mantic stuff looks cool , however I've never played any of their games. I'm trying to find a more popular Not Warmahordes small skirmish game in my area.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Spiderdrake posted:

So is Mantic more or less slowly producing analogues to GW's stuff but with better rules? Is there a more, I don't know, up front description than their store page? This thread is amazing for getting me to think about getting back into wargaming, or at least painting. I really miss painting.

Just, you know, not GW stuff.
I like JerryLee posts

They started out that way but they're branching out to other sci-fi lines too. Deadzone contains factions for Cerberus, Krogans, Necromorphs, Scrunts, Protoss, Browncoats/Rebels and soon space skaven.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Spiderdrake posted:

So is Mantic more or less slowly producing analogues to GW's stuff but with better rules?

Kinda, yeah. They started out producing cut price alternative minis for WHFB and 40k, then decided to make their own games out of it called Kings of War and Warpath, took Kings of War to the new Kickstarter service to see if there was interest, and the company exploded. Now they've shifted to games analogous to old GW, but very much moving in their own direction in rules and minis/aesthetics. Also the rules and army lists are generally freely available online.

They're working on making one website per game, on a common template, that by pure coincidence are reminiscent of long ago GW with paint guides, play guides, fluff, etc. Only half of one site is up, but you can get the idea http://dreadballxtremethegame.com/

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Kinda, yeah. They started out producing cut price alternative minis for WHFB and 40k, then decided to make their own games out of it called Kings of War and Warpath, took Kings of War to the new Kickstarter service to see if there was interest, and the company exploded. Now they've shifted to games analogous to old GW, but very much moving in their own direction in rules and minis/aesthetics. Also the rules and army lists are generally freely available online.

They're working on making one website per game, on a common template, that by pure coincidence are reminiscent of long ago GW with paint guides, play guides, fluff, etc. Only half of one site is up, but you can get the idea http://dreadballxtremethegame.com/

Just to add on to this, recently KoW underwent changes for its' second edition. There were some worrying signs that the lead developer was starting to swing KoW v2 more towards aspects of WHFB that he preferred but that others disdained (the main thing I seem to remember is that there were indications that he was going to do away with the idea of "block" units of infantry; in KoW you don't remove individual models from a unit as damage is taken, but instead keep track of wounds etc. with a dice, which allows people to make their units into interesting little mini-dioramas since they don't have to remove models from a unit individually. There were some other things the dev was doing like making various changes without consulting others, but others with more knowledge on the subject can elaborate upon those things if they wish).

Instead of just going full speed ahead with what the lead dev wanted to do and customers be damned, Mantic actually listened to player feedback about the worrying changes from the people who post in their forums and told the lead developer to (basically) knock that poo poo off. I emphasized the important parts in bold because this is stuff that GW doesn't do (listen to customers and have a forum for players to post things in) in TYOOL 2015. Many of us who follow the Mantic thread were greatly relieved, because if there is one thing Mantic cannot afford to do, it's poo poo the bed with Kings of War at this stage, when there are so many potential players looking for a game to port their Wood Elves or Lizardmen or whatever over to after the whole WHFB/End Times debacle.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Considering at the very least KoW can be classed as a "pretty good game" or better they are looking to rake in customers by the fistfull from Fantasy. They even have straight up conversion rules for GW armies to a KoW Format and actively promote using any model to play their game. It warms the depths of my cold business heart, and its brilliant from a marketing point.

KoW fixes a TON of my biggest gripes with fantasy, and I respect that. Little things like horde units counted by the model, super complex magical crap that eats units, and taking all my money to make an army always made me dislike Fantasy 8th and fixing those things makes me veeeeery interested. In fact if a KoW started in my local shop I would try it out, I DONT EVEN NEED A NEW ARMY!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Plus, from accounts, the new edition tones down artillery which was my biggest gripe from the last edition. A few lucky rolls could decide the game before the third round.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

KOW is pretty solid, I know a bunch of local guys(myself included) backed their 2nd ed KS and the beta rules have been promising so far. Just needs skirmishers and proper big monster rules (that aren't just 'count it as a unit of x') to beat WHFB.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine you can just model a Nimble unit in a loose formation to represent skirmishers. As long as the footprint is right, you get a lot of freedom.

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the gently caress-off huge monsters from WHFB, though. Since the counts-as supplement isn't part of the hardcover, they'll have extra time to work it out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

moths posted:

I imagine you can just model a Nimble unit in a loose formation to represent skirmishers. As long as the footprint is right, you get a lot of freedom.

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the gently caress-off huge monsters from WHFB, though. Since the counts-as supplement isn't part of the hardcover, they'll have extra time to work it out.

In modeling terms it should work, I mean, how many of the WH big monsters won't fit on a 50x100mm base?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Doctor Borris posted:

In fact if a KoW started in my local shop I would try it out, I DONT EVEN NEED A NEW ARMY!

But how will they stay in business if people like you can properly play their game without giving them $500 for plastic up front? I'm afraid I just don't understand.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

But how will they stay in business if people like you can properly play their game without giving them $500 for plastic up front? I'm afraid I just don't understand.

They'll make all that money back when they sell people all the rules for free on the Mantic Digital website, duh

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

moths posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of a small unit with a rule similar to Individuals. Nimble strikes me more as a fast cavalry thing.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Last year, I purchased the Deadzone starter along with the faction starters for Marauders and Rebels. After assembling the minis, I put all of it back in the box (except the terrain) and haven't looked at it since. They were such a pain to assemble, I just don''t want to look at them. Have their plastics improved?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Last year, I purchased the Deadzone starter along with the faction starters for Marauders and Rebels. After assembling the minis, I put all of it back in the box (except the terrain) and haven't looked at it since. They were such a pain to assemble, I just don''t want to look at them. Have their plastics improved?

The restic formula was improved for Dreadball Xtreme, and in the DZI kickstarter everything new was either hard plastic sprue troops, metal HQ/elites, or resin KS exclusives.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

GW's reports do not indicate people walking away from the game, nor does a vocal internet minority reflect a majority.

Not buying doesn't translate into an unsatisfied customer. Buying less doesn't translate into an unsatisfied customer.
Buying used goods doesn't translate into an unsatisfied customer.

I'm doing all of the above in turns currently. And I'm a satisfied customer.

Infact, most likely the majority of GW's customers are satisfied instead.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Declining sales volumes and revenues are both indicative of satisfied customers and a healthy business. If they weren't, how else do you explain Games Workshop's sales volumes and revenue numbers? As the sole creator and producer of Jewel-Like Objects of Magic and Wonder, and The Games Workshop Hobby, they obviously are a healthy business. Checkmate, Athie- I mean, non-GW scrubs. :smug:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Got an email advertising the new Assassins game. Didn't realize it was $125 what the hell?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Radish posted:

Got an email advertising the new Assassins game. Didn't realize it was $125 what the hell?

Look at it this way, when the four assassin minis come out they'll inevitably be like $30 each, so you're really getting the chaos dudes and the rest of the game for $5!

Such a bargain :iamafag:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It appears the board game is "Assassins go through a building, into a chamber, and murder a sorcerer". That's it. Seems to me the replay value is super-limited.

But it's OK because you get twenty-five beautiful Citadel MIniatures, and isn't that all anyone could ever want?

EDIT: I dunno, maybe the room tiles add some variety to the game. I don't play a lot of board games, but I'm willing to bet you can get far better games for $125.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 25, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah no seriously do not get the assassins game unless you have a massive boner for the assassin models. Aetherium is a board game you should get instead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm hard pressed to think of too many other board games that cost a hundred and twenty-five loving dollars.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Should've said "....better board games for less than $125"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

I'm hard pressed to think of too many other board games that cost a hundred and twenty-five loving dollars.

well how many loving board games have JEWEL LIKE OBJECTS OF WONDER rear end in a top hat?!?!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

a different note but lol at the person in the bad thread whose order GW hosed up, like somehow it got wiped out of existence, and his reaction is to zoom down to his FLGS to buy those same products from them because gotta have that plastic crack

I mean I'm not saying that decent companies also make mistakes or that I wouldn't do something similar in the analogous case, but it's somehow extra funny because it's GW

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
I thought the funny part was the rest of the thread dog-piling him for not keeping perfect financial records- and that it's hes' fault, not GWs

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Renfield posted:

I thought the funny part was the rest of the thread dog-piling him for not keeping perfect financial records- and that it's hes' fault, not GWs

GW cannot fail. GW can only be failed.

Now, let us sing the Psalm of Kirby. Everyone bow your heads.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FrostyPox posted:

Should've said "....better board games for less than $125"

$125 is enough to buy at LEAST two other high quality good board games...Kemet and Chaos in the Old World, say, both of which come with rad figures (giant scorpions! Daemons!) and both of which are guaranteed to be more fun than Assassinrama will be.

Or, speaking of X-Wangs, $100 will buy you Imperial Assault which is like Descent but better and also Star Wars, which itself is loaded with figures and is supposed to be a pretty good game with lots of playability.

tl;dr $125 for a single board game is crazy bullshit.

Moola posted:

well how many loving board games have JEWEL LIKE OBJECTS OF WONDER rear end in a top hat?!?!

Lo, I am slain.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Renfield posted:

Less that he didn't keep perfect financial records and more that he went out of his way to erase them all. Gmail isn't exactly limited on space, and you should probably be keeping that poo poo so if/when a company screws up, you at least have the order number.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

^^^ :hfive:

Renfield posted:

To be fair, the idea of deleting past emails in TYOOL 2015 is something I have trouble wrapping my head around. I have plenty of space left in my Gmail account and there have been times when I've been really glad I could just search up an email from like 2009.

At the very least I wouldn't delete emails about an order until after I'd received the product.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It should be 75 bucks, 90 maximum. 125 is just such an insane price.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The game is going to be a massive failure.

I want an assassin model but I'm not shelling out for the game to get it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Hey Bulba, do you have a preferred set of resources for finding out what's good in 30k, army building, etc.? Articles, primers and such. Anything you know of would be great. I'd rather not ask in the bad thread if I don't have to. :v:

I don't :( I've been meaning to put one together on my lovely blog, but I've been too busy. 1D4 chan does a decent job of breaking the rules down without forcing you to buy a book.

For your core army, you'll want to look into: Preators, Consuls, Tactical Squads, Veteran Tactical Squads, and Terminators. Those are all solid options and will dictate how your army plays. The other consideration is your legion, which also influences your choices a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

My legion is probably not coming out for another year or two, that's what my legion is. :v:

Thanks for the info, though! Seems like it's hard to go wrong modeling power armor with bolters for the moment. On terminators, what sort of weapon loadout should I consider? I already have some terminators with a special weapon pack (that may or may not have fallen off the back of a truck) and I'm curious what choices you'd do for heavy weapon, combi-weapons, etc.

edit to avoid double posting: here's what the guy who had to make an emergency visit to the FLGS for his GW products had to say about his purchase:

quote:

Went through the book a little bit and as a long-time Eldar player I can honestly say the book is poo poo - the internal balance is skewed far more than it had been previously.

Now me, I would have attempted to ascertain whether or not the thing was poo poo, then made my decision whether to purchase it or not based on that assessment. I'm clearly not GW's target audience.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 26, 2015

• Locked thread