Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
A death poll is always morbid and when you consider the post in this thread very disturbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
What rolls down a hill making GBS threads itself at 100mph?

Mount Everest climbers.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, everyone knows death is tragic; however, if you cannot get that one of the ways human beings deal with the human condition and the absurdity of our confrontation of death is humor, there is something wrong with you. Humor, and picking apart the decisions people make that lead to their death are ways we deal with collective trauma. This is why books about climbing disasters are so popular, or television shows about disasters, or the loving Titanic.

So get over it, or go back to your church, mosque, temple, or whatever and lock yourself in complaining to your fellows how everyone else "just doesn't get the god(s) approved ways in which we are allowed to talk about death."

I don't think many of the people who were posting cared about the climbers at all except for the fact that they might die while climbing and get a sick sort of enjoyment of of it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Ignore drilldo. He just makes this thread depressing when it should be filled with jokes and laughter.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

:boom:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

:lol:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
The people who died for real like that today had families and probably suffered a great deal during it.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

those fortunate were crushed and the rest are probably still dying of exposure, actually

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

moments before:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I bet they deserve it for being rich white people who wanted to climb up Everest.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Remember folks, there is an ignore feature for just this occasion.

I wouldn't even know what he was posting if you guys didn't keep quoting and replying to him.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Blitter posted:

Amazingly, All climbing teams on Annapurna reported safe, which seems pretty amazing given it was closer to the epicenter, and loves to crush puny humans with rocks and snow.

The entire earthquake was a plan hatched by Annapurna to lull climbers into a false sense of security.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

The people who died for real like that today had families and probably suffered a great deal during it.

Second only to the suffering you're inflicting here. :frogout:

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

How loving great would it be if this happened during that Far Cry 4 promotion and some goober was killed while playing on a gaming laptop and chugging the Dew?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pvt Dancer posted:

moments before:

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Roughly how many people were on the mountain at the time? I think it might take a few days for the scale of this disaster to be realised once they count up how many are missing.

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Pvt Dancer posted:

moments before:

I see the thread is back on its proper course. It's like the last three pages were our trek down through the remains of the Icefall route.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

How loving great would it be if this happened during that Far Cry 4 promotion and some goober was killed while playing on a gaming laptop and chugging the Dew?

Moments before, he dies in the game... 2spooky

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Beastie posted:

Yeah, posts like this make that death poll super creepy.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

drilldo squirt posted:

You're right, someone could be upset by this thread. Shut it down, there must be no mention of anything ever that could be offensive in any medium or location

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Ah, this forum. Good.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
Looking for a good charity for Nepal, none of them seem to be high profile enough to make it on charity navigator, but it seems like the America Nepal Medical Foundation could be legit, thoughts?

Unknowable Hole fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2015

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ars Arcanum posted:

]Now I feel like a dick for participating in the death pool.

Same here. There's not much funny about all those deaths regardless of whether they are poor sherpas, or rich whatevers.

I live in earthquake country and if the big one hits in the right place, we'd be in serious poo poo :(

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons

Beep Street posted:

Roughly how many people were on the mountain at the time? I think it might take a few days for the scale of this disaster to be realised once they count up how many are missing.

I think there's usually a thousand or so hanging around during the prime climbing season, but most are down at base camp.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Beep Street posted:

quote:

About 700 climbers are in the Solukhumbu region that includes Everest and about 300 of them are believed to be at base camp.

http://news.sky.com/story/1472054/everest-climber-warns-more-to-die-without-help

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Beep Street posted:

Not going to be clear for a while unfortunately. The base camps usually know how many people from their expeditions are up, but with base camp in disarray this isn't going to be reliable. With avalanches, climbers can be carried a ways away. We may not know a final toll for days or weeks, and the possibility exists for lost people to come in slowly over time.

I'm assuming radio communications are back up at base camp but then it's dependent on the radios on the mountain both working and having operators.

I'm not sure how much progress had been made. Presumably all four camps had been established? I think we've only heard from two camps so far?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

captainoblivious posted:

Looking for a good charity for Nepal, none of them seem to be high profile enough to make it on charity navigator, but it seems like the America Nepal Medical Foundation could be legit, thoughts?

Mercy Corps are good peeps.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

captainoblivious posted:

Most of them would be affiliated with monasteries and so on. If you'd like I can go through the short list of monasteries and relief organizations I know and see who is taking specifically for this?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This thread is getting crushed by an avalanche of bad posts. :munch:

Everest Death Poll 2015: Nobody's guess was high enough and it's still April.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 25, 2015

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11648#.VTu__1wmbww Global Giving has a good rating and seems to have a newly created Nepal page.

So maybe this one, http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/nepal-earthquake-relief-fund/ if all of you horrible monsters seem to think this one is legit, maybe we can contact a moderator for GBS and get it pinned?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Stoat posted:

You're right, someone could be upset by this thread. Shut it down, there must be no mention of anything ever that could be offensive in any medium or location

don't quote him dum dum

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Fermented Tinal posted:

legit should be the new thread title as of about 24 hours ago

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Fermented Tinal posted:

This thread is getting crushed by an avalanche of bad posts. :munch:

I'm disturbed you consider this funny.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

captainoblivious posted:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=11648#.VTu__1wmbww Global Giving has a good rating and seems to have a newly created Nepal page.

So maybe this one, http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/nepal-earthquake-relief-fund/ if all of you horrible monsters seem to think this one is legit, maybe we can contact a moderator for GBS and get it pinned?

Or you could go to my kickstarter. I'm going to open a relief hotdog stand at camp one.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm disturbed you consider this funny.

I'm disturbed you think concern trolling is still funny.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

One day, if I become a rich white person, I am going to stay home and definitely not climb a mountain, because I don't want goons berating me or potentially mocking my death. I'll just stay in and be a rich white guy at home, for the approval of GBS.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i just like mountain sports they are fun but it's sad when people die doing them

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
For a half second I saw the "Every Day I'm Tumblin'" thread and I thought the Everest thread had been renamed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

smoobles posted:

One day, if I become a rich white person, I am going to stay home and definitely not climb a mountain, because I don't want goons berating me or potentially mocking my death. I'll just stay in and be a rich white guy at home, for the approval of GBS.

I will climb that mountain for you, smoobles.

• Locked thread