Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

track day bro! posted:

I found an ebay store selling the older Motox for like 130 quid, they have to be knockoffs right?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Motorola-Moto-X-XT1058-Unlocked-Mobile-Phone-16GB-10-0MP-Camera-Black-/251605382747

No, not at all! Got mine for $140 months ago, great little device. They did an amazing job if it's a bootleg or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm 100% certain I saw an app displaying running tasks and how much CPU they were using in real time on my Galaxy note, but today I'm unable to find it again.
Anyone knows where this information is ?

edit: without the use of an extra app

Spatule fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 25, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's some readout type things available in the developer options in settings.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Spatule posted:

I'm 100% certain I saw an app displaying running tasks and how much CPU they were using in real time on my Galaxy note, but today I'm unable to find it again.
Anyone knows where this information is ?

edit: without the use of an extra app

Look in your widgets for "Active Apps" and enable it.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Arriviste posted:

Look in your widgets for "Active Apps" and enable it.

That's it, thanks ! Looks like the latest update to Lastpass made it go from a constant 1-2% to 0 when not active.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I have a Galaxy Nexus with a big crack in the screen and super wonky GPS and I'm looking to upgrade. I don't care about having the latest phone, I just want something better that's $200 or under with expandable memory and a removable battery. Should I buy something new in my price range, or look for something used?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Grimes posted:

I have a Galaxy Nexus with a big crack in the screen and super wonky GPS and I'm looking to upgrade. I don't care about having the latest phone, I just want something better that's $200 or under with expandable memory and a removable battery. Should I buy something new in my price range, or look for something used?

You should stop wanting those features and get a 2013 moto x.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Grimes posted:

If you're looking for expandable storage AND a removable battery, a used GS5 will probably be the best thing in that range. For slightly more you could get a new one though.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Desk Lamp posted:

If you're looking for expandable storage AND a removable battery, a used GS5 will probably be the best thing in that range. For slightly more you could get a new one though.

The LG G3 too

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

dissss posted:

The LG G3 too

True I forgot about that one. Might even be able to find a new one in that price range.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

dissss posted:

The LG G3 too

It's $299 on Amazon now (after a $100 gift card...nets out though).

Used are slightly less. I'd recommend he find another $99 and do that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

hotsauce posted:

It's $299 on Amazon now (after a $100 gift card...nets out though).

Used are slightly less. I'd recommend he find another $99 and do that.

Can you link the deal? I'm having trouble finding it on the app

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

Can you link the deal? I'm having trouble finding it on the app

It's just the AT&T LG G3 product listing. Choose "without a service plan" and buy it. When it ships Three weeks after it ships, Amazon will issue a $100 gift card on your account. I don't know why it wouldn't work on mobile (app) but the webpage is pretty clear. I think all you have to do it buy it via any method you choose.

http://www.amazon.com/LG-G3-Metallic-Black-32GB/dp/B00L9OVC94/

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 26, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I decided to go with a Moto X, and I'm quite liking it so far, although I haven't had much time to play with it since my parents are visiting. I do have one question, though - is there a way to get rid of the 'Wi-Fi Connected to "[network name]"' notification in the pull-down? It just seems ...unnecessary.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

hooah posted:

I decided to go with a Moto X, and I'm quite liking it so far, although I haven't had much time to play with it since my parents are visiting. I do have one question, though - is there a way to get rid of the 'Wi-Fi Connected to "[network name]"' notification in the pull-down? It just seems ...unnecessary.

Settings > Wifi > Menu button in bottom right, Advanced > Uncheck Wi-Fi notifications.

Should take care of it, I think

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Hey I was looking to upgrade my old phone and I was hoping to to find something that isn't completely high end but not crap either ( I wouldn't want to spend more than £300). My main focus would be on something with a good sized screen and good resolution if possible. I would want something that runs at a decent speed but obviously that sort of price range I don't expect flagship perfomrance. I would be looking at a lot of videos and browsing the web a ton though. I was thinking about the Moto G (2nd gen) or a Moto X (2nd gen). Would there be any other good phones to consider?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I haven't been able to find GS5s that weren't run through rock tumblers for $200, where are people seeing that?

And can that ATT LG G3 be used on TMobile? I know the bands are (mostly) right but is an off-contract ATT phone still locked?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Seemingly out of nowhere, my Z3c started randomly pausing podcasts and spotify with no notification coming in that would potentially do so. Is there a known bug (and hopefully resolution) with this issue? It's very annoying. I rebooted to see if that'll fix things but will need some runtime to see if it helped.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CancerStick posted:

Settings > Wifi > Menu button in bottom right, Advanced > Uncheck Wi-Fi notifications.

Should take care of it, I think

Yup, that did it, thanks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Radbot posted:

I haven't been able to find GS5s that weren't run through rock tumblers for $200

You probably won't for a while either, GS4s are still going for $200, I haven't been able to find a good condition GS5 for less than $280 anywhere.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm looking to get a new phone. I've been buying Droids for the past few phones (and keeping them for 2+ years, current one is a Razr Maxx HD I got Nov. '12), are there any other phones I should get over the Turbo? I'm not too interested in waiting since my current phone is finally crapping out, but I want to get something that'll last at least a few years.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TraderStav posted:

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Z3c started randomly pausing podcasts and spotify with no notification coming in that would potentially do so. Is there a known bug (and hopefully resolution) with this issue? It's very annoying. I rebooted to see if that'll fix things but will need some runtime to see if it helped.

Could be something up with the headphone port

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pik_d posted:

I'm looking to get a new phone. I've been buying Droids for the past few phones (and keeping them for 2+ years, current one is a Razr Maxx HD I got Nov. '12), are there any other phones I should get over the Turbo? I'm not too interested in waiting since my current phone is finally crapping out, but I want to get something that'll last at least a few years.

I was looking at the Turbo and the X, and decided to go with the X. I liked the virtual buttons, the feel, and the promise of earlier updates better. The main spec differences (RAM, SoC, and screen resolution) aren't significant enough for there to be much real-world performance difference, at least at present. As the phones age, the noticeable performance might diverge, but I don't think the X will be at all sluggish in a few years, even so.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

hooah posted:

I was looking at the Turbo and the X, and decided to go with the X. I liked the virtual buttons, the feel, and the promise of earlier updates better. The main spec differences (RAM, SoC, and screen resolution) aren't significant enough for there to be much real-world performance difference, at least at present. As the phones age, the noticeable performance might diverge, but I don't think the X will be at all sluggish in a few years, even so.

Hows the battery life? I work in a place with poor reception, which seems to drain battery life faster, and is why I got the Maxx version last time around.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

pik_d posted:

Hows the battery life? I work in a place with poor reception, which seems to drain battery life faster, and is why I got the Maxx version last time around.

the X has a pretty subpar battery life compared to nearly every other 2014 flagship, but otherwise its a very solid phone. the turbo is identical to the X software wise

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this_is_hard posted:

the X has a pretty subpar battery life compared to nearly every other 2014 flagship, but otherwise its a very solid phone. the turbo is identical to the X software wise

Except that the X has Lollipop and the Turbo doesn't, identical!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TraderStav posted:

Did you get upgraded to lollipop?

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004
Is there a Otterbox Defender "equivalent" for the Sony Z3 readily available in Canada? I think I've narrowed my next phone down the the MotoX, Z3 or M9, but the Z3 might get pulled from the running if I can't get a case for it.

Basically, my iPhone 5 needs a new battery (dies by 11am most days), and I'm using that as an excuse to both upgrade phones and try out Android. This will be my first android, going from BB -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone5. I use it for work in residential construction (project manager, hence the need for a drop resistant, dust proof case). I only use it for basic functions (calls, emails, Google Drive, internet) but use it all day, so the screen is usually on more than it's off. I use the camera on my iPhone frequently, but for utilitarian purposes. Reference pictures for work mostly. I've read that the three I'm looking at fall short with the camera compared to the S6, but as long as they aren't a significant downgrade from the iPhone 5 I don't think I'll care.

Or should I just get the S6? I'll be buying it on contract, and cost isn't a huge issue. The X is free on contract, but the rest range from $150-$250 (Z3, M9 and S6 respectively).

I'm hesitant to buy something as relatively old as the X, but have read some very biased reviews on Samsung's touchwhiz...just don't know what to do!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I definitely wouldn't buy a 2 year old phone if you're signing a new contract. We recommend the Moto X because it can be had off contract for less than the cost of many new phones ON contract, which can make it an excellent stop gap if you're not impressed with the flagships this year.

That said, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. The S6 is a fantastic phone and it's very durable according to many reviews, but do you need expandable storage? I don't know much about cases but the Z3 is constantly recommended as a Good Phone.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just get the Z3, you should be happy with it. Better camera than the X, and the M9 is apparently a piece of hot dog-poo poo, so I'd avoid it.

Reggie Died
Mar 24, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

I definitely wouldn't buy a 2 year old phone if you're signing a new contract. We recommend the Moto X because it can be had off contract for less than the cost of many new phones ON contract, which can make it an excellent stop gap if you're not impressed with the flagships this year.

That said, a lot of it comes down to personal preference. The S6 is a fantastic phone and it's very durable according to many reviews, but do you need expandable storage? I don't know much about cases but the Z3 is constantly recommended as a Good Phone.

I need to provide the phone but work pay's my monthly bill, so I wasn't concerned about committing to another 2 years. BUT, if your saying that one of the main reasons for the X recommendations was price point, I might start looking at the S6 more seriously. I *was* hoping to get an SD slot as I'm constantly maxing out my iPhone, but it's only 16GB; I'm sure the 32GB S6 will be more than enough.

Variable_H posted:

Just get the Z3, you should be happy with it. Better camera than the X, and the M9 is apparently a piece of hot dog-poo poo, so I'd avoid it.

Any case recommendations?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Reggie Died posted:

Any case recommendations?

I generally use phones caseless, but I since I got a G3 I've become pretty partial to TPU cases. You might try one of these:
Z3 Tough Case
TUDIA Ultra Slim LITE TPU Bumper

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Radbot posted:

And can that ATT LG G3 be used on TMobile? I know the bands are (mostly) right but is an off-contract ATT phone still locked?

It would work fine on T-Mobile if you are in an area that's saturated with T-Mo LTE. It's locked to AT&T out of the box, but since it's paid in full (not financed) just submit an unlock request. AT&T is surprisingly lenient about unlocking (unlike T-Mo). You don't even have to be a customer for them to unlock, although there is no guarantee.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hotsauce posted:

It would work fine on T-Mobile if you are in an area that's saturated with T-Mo LTE. It's locked to AT&T out of the box, but since it's paid in full (not financed) just submit an unlock request. AT&T is surprisingly lenient about unlocking (unlike T-Mo). You don't even have to be a customer for them to unlock, although there is no guarantee.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

Note that this means you won't get T-Mobile LTE on the phone, just 3G bands (or I guess they call it 4G on their network).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Note that this means you won't get T-Mobile LTE on the phone, just 3G bands (or I guess they call it 4G on their network).

No, you will get LTE just fine. Just no WiFi calling. If you are in a T-Mobile LTE area, the towers have been refarmed to support AT&T's LTE band, so you get LTE on T-Mobile.

At least every unlocked AT&T phone I've used on T-Mobile ($30 nerd play around plan) got LTE just fine. YMMV.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

hotsauce posted:

No, you will get LTE just fine. Just no WiFi calling. If you are in a T-Mobile LTE area, the towers have been refarmed to support AT&T's LTE band, so you get LTE on T-Mobile.

At least every unlocked AT&T phone I've used on T-Mobile ($30 nerd play around plan) got LTE just fine. YMMV.

I stand corrected. I'm used to the old days when everyone had their own completely different bands because gently caress you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

pik_d posted:

I only got it yesterday, so I have no idea how the battery life is. If you've got poor reception, then the bigger battery on the Turbo might be a good idea.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm confused about my new X - when I look up the model number (XT1096), it says it's supposed to be 32 GB, but when I go to "storage" in settings, it says it's got 5 GB available and 4 GB for apps and media content. What the hell's going on? Did Verizon shaft me?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

uPen posted:

Did you get upgraded to lollipop?

Yes, but have had it for a few weeks. I haven't used it for much audio though until this week so it's possible its been prevalent since the update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Except that the X has Lollipop and the Turbo doesn't, identical!

ok they both have all of the same moto features and once the Turbo (if?) gets updated to lollipop they will be identical again