Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I hit the "home" button on the Wii U gamepad it says "the software has finished installing". It says this literally every time I press the home button and I have to press it to get rid of it. It does this even if I restart. it has been doing this for as long as I could remember but I just tried to fix it today; tried googling a bit but no real answers. Anyone else ever have this and fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Every time I hit the "home" button on the Wii U gamepad it says "the software has finished installing". It says this literally every time I press the home button and I have to press it to get rid of it. It does this even if I restart. it has been doing this for as long as I could remember but I just tried to fix it today; tried googling a bit but no real answers. Anyone else ever have this and fix it?

Check in your downloads menu, theres probably some game that updated and it wants you to launch. I don't think you can clear it without launching that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Man, that stinks. I clearly said NO LURKERS!!!

It's all good. You would think it would be harder too because you have to actually have a Wii U to claim the code.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

elf help book posted:

Check in your downloads menu, theres probably some game that updated and it wants you to launch. I don't think you can clear it without launching that game.

Yup; this is exactly it. I had the same problem because I downloaded the free Sonic DLC just to have it, despite not owning the game

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

What the gently caress is up with the AI in the latest Mario Kart DLC? I'm pretty good at this game. I got three gold stars in 150cc and Mirror Mode for every cup before the second DLC pack. I played this morning and got three stars on 150cc Crossing Cup with zero issues. I then spent two hours trying Mirror Mode Crossing Cup over and over and I've been dicked over countless times on Cheese Land and Animal Crossing. It's obscene how amazing the AI is on these stages.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I picked all my wiimotes at thrift stores for like 10 bucks each

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I picked all my wiimotes at thrift stores for like 10 bucks each

Are they motion plus?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
No those dongles were 5 each

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Also, you can get them with motion plus direct from Nintendo for $15.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Rexroom posted:

Let me rephrase then:

We don't wanna make it sound like Johnny is playing with dolls. That's ultra gay, man. What would his gamer bros think.

I doubt this was the line of reasoning, but whatever it is you can't blame the people who make the localization decisions. You know very well that skells will be more appealing than dolls in the west because they simply sound more serious and tough which is what the western audience typically wants when they visualize fighting in a giant mech. It's all about what sells. Not what is politically correct.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Actually, what the heck does skells sound like anyway? It doesn't sound like anything but some made up word that's spelled like skelleton. S-kell. Dolls was a weird name for mechs anyway. Just call them mechs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Call them sechs.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Actually, what the heck does skells sound like anyway? It doesn't sound like anything but some made up word that's spelled like skelleton. S-kell. Dolls was a weird name for mechs anyway. Just call them mechs.

Exoskeleton

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lemming posted:

Exoskeleton

Sexodolleton.

I think we are getting close to the truth.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lemming posted:

Exoskeleton

Yeah this was my initial reaction too. Skells sounds like a word that lazy internet nerds would come up with so they don't have to write out "exoskeleton" when talking about Xenoblade X. It is not great or the word I would have committed to but I understand why they did it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I like skeletons so I like skell.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

thanks mr. skell

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Xavier434 posted:

Skells sounds like a word that lazy internet nerds would come up with so they don't have to write out "exoskeleton" when talking about Xenoblade X.

So it's the perfect name then.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's better than dolls.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

"skell" also means a dirty or slovenly person and that is the context in which I choose to take it.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

skeletons rule

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

no bones about it :peanut:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I can't wait to sit my skell down inside a Skell.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Incredibly Gay Skeletons

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sharrrk posted:

skeletons rule

so do dolls

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow it must be a slow week if there's outrage about giant robots in an arr pee gee.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Wow it must be a slow week if there's outrage about giant robots in an arr pee gee.

Hey, it's like 1/4 of all the WiiU games we know are coming out before Christmas so ya know.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

elf help book posted:

oh man you were 100% right. I had to launch like 7 different tiles (one of them some Rayman app I don't even remember downloading) and the nag would not go away until I launched all 7 of them. What a weird requirement. But thank you, I would have never figured that out!

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Regy Rusty posted:

So it's the perfect name then.

Pretty much

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wii U gives you access to every generation of gaming Nintendo has ever done... except gamecube.
I'm sorry, I believe I don't see Mario Clash or Wario Land for the Virtual Boy.

raditts posted:

I think the one that bugs me the most is that the mechanic for bouncing higher off enemies is different from the mechanic for bouncing higher off non-enemy objects. I think I died like 20 times on that Platform Panic level before I realized that.

It might be because I'm playing the 3DS ver but the timing for bouncing off stuff is all the same. Also that level is hard anyway.

Kaubocks posted:

What the gently caress is up with the AI in the latest Mario Kart DLC? I'm pretty good at this game. I got three gold stars in 150cc and Mirror Mode for every cup before the second DLC pack. I played this morning and got three stars on 150cc Crossing Cup with zero issues. I then spent two hours trying Mirror Mode Crossing Cup over and over and I've been dicked over countless times on Cheese Land and Animal Crossing. It's obscene how amazing the AI is on these stages.
No that was the game was just taking you for a ride. I once had single player race on Snes Rainbow Road where a coms hit me with lighting bolt then a blue shell, followed by a green shell, Rosalina bumped me under a thwomp, got knock of the stage by a bullet bill and finally LAKITU DROP ME IN FRONT OF A BANANA PEEL! THIS WAS ALL IN ONE GO ON THE LAST LAP! :shepicide:

Didn't play the game for the rest of the day.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Since this thread recommended Super Castlevania IV to me I thought I should share my thoughts on it. My first Castlevania game.

The music alone makes it an instant classic for me, but also has cool whipping action (i love awkwardly tickling skeletons to death), generally fantastic platforming and level design (not being able to jump when you're on stairs is bullshit), nice length, Death is ten times harder than any other boss, thank god for save states and the secret stash of all the powerups before Dracula, 9/10

I want to try a GBA one next. Tell me what to buy, thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not a Twat posted:

Since this thread recommended Super Castlevania IV to me I thought I should share my thoughts on it. My first Castlevania game.

The music alone makes it an instant classic for me, but also has cool whipping action (i love awkwardly tickling skeletons to death), generally fantastic platforming and level design (not being able to jump when you're on stairs is bullshit), nice length, Death is ten times harder than any other boss, thank god for save states and the secret stash of all the powerups before Dracula, 9/10

If you're only going to play one Aria of Sorrow, if not get them all and play them in release order.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Aria of Sorrow is the best GBAvania, the other 2 are still pretty good though.
Hopefully Dawn of Sorrow will be one of the early DS VC releases

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Not a Twat posted:

I know this is the wii u thread, but if you have a vita (or an old PSP), get Castlevania Dracula X chronicles. It's a decent remake of Rondo of Blood, but you can unlock the original sprite based version. More importantly you can unlock symphony of the night as well. It's a lot of castlevania at a good price.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I started Super Metroid last night. I'm only a couple hours in and the game has just been throwing power-ups at me like candy. :stare: In the Prime games, I'd play for a couple hours and get one, maybe two power-ups. This game has a much brisker pace! I just got the Speed Boost a bit ago and I went all Rocket Maaaaaaaan in the starting room and crashed right into the ceiling. It was amazing.

I keep wanting to scan everything. I miss not knowing what bosses are called. I've fought a swinging plant thing and Kraid. I know Kraid thanks to Smash. Oh! And also I recognized the music in Maridia instantly because it's the same as the music in Deep Torvus and I loved that music!

Anyway, game is good. I like it. Looking forward to trying Fusion!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yo what Mario game is this, a friend asked, I can't answer, and it's bugging the poo poo out of me now

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Yo what Mario game is this, a friend asked, I can't answer, and it's bugging the poo poo out of me now

Isn't that Smash Bro?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd assume a minigame in Mario Party 10.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Looks like Smash Bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Twat posted:

oh man, did you beat the game yet? Some of the stages are so freakin' cool (the one that rotates like a cylinder comes to mind).

I was so obsessed with that game in 1991. So glad to see people experiencing it today.

• Locked thread