Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

The 75th is essentially that Venn diagram in a lot of ways, brother. Whether it's young dumb rangers going GTAV on a bank with a Canadian on point and making plans or cutting off and bringing back an enemy KIA's hand after being asked for biometric confirmation from them while they're doing a post kinetic SSE.

Neither of those are exaggerations in any way shape or form, it's actually understated if anything.

And the snipers were shooting dogs on the objectives like loving crazy during their over watch. And it's not just Joe. I saw a First Sergeant and at least one officer shoot dogs for no good goddamn reason on objectives too.

Remember this is the same regiment that had guys running around at at their Ranger Rendezvous with "Thank God For The Swim Test" shirts on, man.

That particular iteration of the 75th ranger regiment is what you got when RIP / ROPE, a 5 mile run, and Ed Hardy Fashion sense were the only pre reqs to getting your cool guy CT on in the GWOT.

Semi Real talk.

Dip, hazing, and DUIs are the pillars that regiment is built upon. One of my best friends ended up being implicated in an alleged terror plot while in the unit.

From everything I heard, the bank robbery was conducted very well up to the point that they jumped into their POV with the plates on and drive straight on post.

Pretty sure I knew the guy who cut the entire hand off for biometrics unless there is more than one time it happened, he walked up to someone on the objective after doing it and tapped them on the shoulder with the severed hand and asked them if "they needed a hand with anything" or something of that effect. I heard that FBI HRT has a picture of him holding the hand on the wall in their HQ.

One Christmas a family member of mine asked if we worked with the local military and civilians a lot while overseas. My response was that rangers usually don't get along with civilians in the U.S., much less civilians on the opposite side of the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

8lbsofanalsex posted:

Pretty sure I knew the guy who cut the entire hand off for biometrics unless there is more than one time it happened, he walked up to someone on the objective after doing it and tapped them on the shoulder with the severed hand and asked them if "they needed a hand with anything" or something of that effect. I heard that FBI HRT has a picture of him holding the hand on the wall in their HQ.

:lol: I heard about the hand when we got a quick class from the FBI guys about gathering DNA , but didn't hear he asked if someone needed a hand. Another good one I heard was the sniper that shot a guy running from the objective that was holding a baby. The bullet ended up killing both of them, and the sniper likes to claim it counts as 1 1/2 kills.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Volcanos are extremely my poo poo.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm pretending it's something else :unsmith:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Me too.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Volcanos are extremely my poo poo.
They're natures thermonuclear weapons. :eng101:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Willy Pete posted:

They're natures thermonuclear weapons. :eng101:

The impressive ones like Krakatoa and Mt St Helens well exceed the energy output of our bombs.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

The impressive ones like Krakatoa and Mt St Helens well exceed the energy output of our bombs.

Can you imagine Mt St Helens in a 24 hour news cycle world. There would have been 28k fps of that going down.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Can you imagine Mt St Helens in a 24 hour news cycle world. There would have been 28k fps of that going down.

I'm waiting for our Pompeii. People frozen in time staring at their phones.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The best part of Yellowstone possibly erupting in our lifetime will be telling everyone in Wyoming to get the gently caress out of Wyoming.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
gonna get drunk and do some weird stuff like it's 2010 again

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The best part of Yellowstone possibly erupting in our lifetime will be telling everyone in Wyoming to get the gently caress out of Wyoming.

There's like fewer people in Wyoming than in my freshman year calculus lecture hall.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'd love to see a loving active volcano. poo poo would rule

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

trigger warning: awful music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU1QPtOZQZU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

nwin posted:

I'd love to see a loving active volcano. poo poo would rule

I assume you mean a stratovolcano or cinder cone and not some Hawaii hot molasses poo poo.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

would an asteroid that big throw earth off it's orbit?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
maybe we've been looking at the solution to an asteroid impact the wrong way around

instead of taking the risk to launch and land a bunch of swarthy convicts with hearts of gold and a can-do attitude on a cosmic speck to detonate a big nuke on it, why not detonate a shitload more nukes somewhere nice and easy to hit on the earth's surface to push it out of the way of the asteroid?

depending on which spot you pick, you could solve several problems at once

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cole posted:

would an asteroid that big throw earth off it's orbit?

It would significantly speed up its orbital decay, yes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

at the date posted:

maybe we've been looking at the solution to an asteroid impact the wrong way around

instead of taking the risk to launch and land a bunch of swarthy convicts with hearts of gold and a can-do attitude on a cosmic speck to detonate a big nuke on it, why not detonate a shitload more nukes somewhere nice and easy to hit on the earth's surface to push it out of the way of the asteroid?

depending on which spot you pick, you could solve several problems at once

It would take something ten orders of magnitude greater than a nuclear bomb to alter earth's orbit in any way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Also the rest of North America.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I drank too much Fireball last night and showed up to work 20 minutes late still drunk. #enlisted

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Stultus Maximus posted:

It would take something ten orders of magnitude greater than a nuclear bomb to alter earth's orbit in any way.

Yea but don't we have lots of them anyways?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Stultus Maximus posted:

so lets just set off like all of our nukes at one time in one location and see what happens

call it a science experiment

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Scott Manley does a little talk on the forces required for changing orbits using KSP. Should give you an idea on how loving hard it is to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G01NoaTM46o

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Anybody good at troubleshooting wifi bullshit?

Got a new Cisco DPC3941T wireless AC/N modem/router from Comcast. Intermittently the internet connection goes to poo poo on wifi...I think it stays normal on a wired connection, based on the one time I checked. During the most recent bout of everything losing connection to the internet (laptop, xbox) I pinged the router, and instead of the usual 2-5ms, I was getting 700-1200ms. Pinging google returned results of around 2000ms instead of the usual 50-70. Then magically it'll clear up.

Renewing IP poo poo doesn't do anything, resetting the modem doesn't do anything. I don't think I've ever had a problem that couldn't be solved in the most basic steps that wasn't actually a hardware problem, so at this point I'm stumped.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Godholio posted:

Got a new Cisco DPC3941T wireless AC/N modem/router from Comcast. Intermittently the internet connection goes to poo poo on wifi...I think it stays normal on a wired connection, based on the one time I checked. During the most recent bout of everything losing connection to the internet (laptop, xbox) I pinged the router, and instead of the usual 2-5ms, I was getting 700-1200ms. Pinging google returned results of around 2000ms instead of the usual 50-70. Then magically it'll clear up.

Renewing IP poo poo doesn't do anything, resetting the modem doesn't do anything. I don't think I've ever had a problem that couldn't be solved in the most basic steps that wasn't actually a hardware problem, so at this point I'm stumped.

unplug it and plug it back in

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
unplug it and plug it back in

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Godholio posted:

Call Comcast tech support.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Call Comcast tech support.

:marc:

Edit: This is why merging chat and drunk threads was a bad idea.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Godholio posted:

Got a new Cisco DPC3941T wireless AC/N modem/router from Comcast.

There's your problem.

Serious answer, get a decent wireless router and use that.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

real answer: it sounds like there is Comcast DNS issues or possibly physical line damage somewhere.
that's why you need to call Comcast tech support & find out if there is any regional issues happening.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

real answer: it sounds like there is Comcast DNS issues or possibly physical line damage somewhere.
that's why you need to call Comcast tech support & find out if there is any regional issues happening.

The new modem/router arrived about a week ago. It didn't solve the problems, because there was line damage between the house and the cable box on the street. That line was replaced Tuesday (I contacted them Monday, they had an opening Tuesday), buried Friday. The problems mostly cleared up...it was actually much worse before. That's what gave me the idea to ping the router, I figured it was probably an issue with that, rather than another bad line. How does a bad ping to/from the router indicate line/DNS issues? I thought I was cutting all that out by going only to the router instead of an external test.

I did reconnect the old N300. I've got the laptop connected to that while the kid plays xbox on the Cisco network. Naturally there hasn't been a hiccup (it was happening about every 5 minutes when I decided to post about it), so now I'm wondering if there's something about my laptop that's not playing nice with the cisco.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Have you connected directly to the modern and ran diagnostics to rule that out as a source?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stultus Maximus posted:

hmmmm you make some good points

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kevin Casey in the UFC, obviously.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
C such my dick what kind is wrong sugar no single chocks this is bullshit

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Don't put me at a table with ask married chocks this is some fixing horsehair

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Drunk swipe typing is more entertaining than regular drunk typing

It's like reading a poorly translated instruction sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
For cable issues, you can usually look at your cable modem at 192.168.100.1. This has been consistent through four different modems I've had since 2008. That can tell you if there's anything wrong with the cable connection itself.

As far as your wifi, take that poo poo back. Comcast is actually using your connection to put out a public unsecured network for people to connect to. Presumably they are separate from your home network, but gently caress trusting that poo poo.

Personally I have a motorola modem and an apple time capsule that loving owns bones.

• Locked thread