Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

My first week in Skyrim Online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Why does RPing always turn sexual?
I've done some RPing in MMO's mostly Ultima Online where I was in an orc guild that hung out around a wooden fort extorting travelers for gold and it was fun. I'd enjoy it a lot more if the community weren't full of a bunch of weird fetishists.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 24, 2015

DanoTuka
Apr 8, 2015

There seems to be a LOT of sex RP in ESO. Between zone chat calling people out and goon guilds mentioning it I've heard of at least 5 situations in the last 3 days alone. Those motherfuckers need to go outside.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I saw some dude in zone advertising some kind of dice betting game he was running. I asked him for more info and it seemed like they were using some legitimately fair dice rolling website, and he said you had to stay in character to participate. Sounded kinda cool, so I checked it out of curiosity and it was just a bunch of people sitting a bar *lusty argonian maid blinks bashfully* tehee, looks like I had to much to drink, if only someone could take me home" and "looks like I lost allll my money, maybe I can repay you some other way *wink*" garbage.

So even something with a goal in mind that isn't sex, it still goes that way.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Just wait until they start talking about stuffing mouths with muatras and milk-spears. Or do they do that already?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

GuyUpNorth posted:

Just wait until they start talking about stuffing mouths with muatras and milk-spears. Or do they do that already?

Some guy was talking about which beast race from elder scrolls he'd like to gently caress the most in zone chat which incited a good 10 more people chiming in and engaging in a conversation about how much they want to gently caress argonians and khajiits.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Bob NewSCART posted:

Some guy was talking about which beast race from elder scrolls he'd like to gently caress the most in zone chat which incited a good 10 more people chiming in and engaging in a conversation about how much they want to gently caress argonians and khajiits.

Zone chat can be either really good or really bad, a few days ago I made a joke in zone chat and for 20 minutes it was solid Argonian/Nord/Dunmer racism. Then a day or so later it was all people bitching about in-game ads.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Bob NewSCART posted:

Personally I get all hot and bothered over the Sload. Did anyone want to bone a Sload? Sload.

Grimby
Sep 12, 2002

Britt Burns posted:

Personally I get all hot and bothered over the Sload. Did anyone want to bone a Sload? Sload.

I'd give it a go, just because I like the word Sload.

Glockenapfel
Mar 9, 2013

Is there a PS4 beta guild (I'm in Aldmeri Dominion if it matters)? If so, please add Yda.

Glockenapfel fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 25, 2015

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Could I have an invite to whatever the Ebonheart Pact guild is? My user ID is @Kolmatoah.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif
It's £24 on cdkeys a the minute, I'm really tempted. Barring a couple of months playing LOTRO when it came out I haven't played an MMO since star wars galaxies. It it worth playing or wuld I be better of just modding the gently caress out of Skyrim and having another run through?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Xillah posted:

It's £24 on cdkeys a the minute, I'm really tempted. Barring a couple of months playing LOTRO when it came out I haven't played an MMO since star wars galaxies. It it worth playing or wuld I be better of just modding the gently caress out of Skyrim and having another run through?

I'm assuming you haven't read the last 30 pages of the Skyrim mods thread, right?

Either way it's a decent TES game.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Scyantific posted:

I'm assuming you haven't read the last 30 pages of the Skyrim mods thread, right?

Either way it's a decent TES game.

Nope, been a year since I played Skyrim.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xillah posted:

Nope, been a year since I played Skyrim.

valve introduced paid mods through the workshop, rip modding

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Xillah posted:

If treated as just a single player game it is not bad with about 80-100 hours of questing for the main story. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is arguably better than in Skyrim (not a high bar but still). If you like the Elder Scrolls setting I say pick it up.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Berke Negri posted:

If treated as just a single player game it is not bad with about 80-100 hours of questing for the main story. The graphics are pretty good and the gameplay is arguably better than in Skyrim (not a high bar but still). If you like the Elder Scrolls setting I say pick it up.

This is pretty much exactly right. Once I stopped trying to play it as an MMO and started playing it as ES 5.5 (with always-on DRM), it became pretty fun. The social features of the game are pretty poo poo and it's missing some QoL features as an MMO, but the game itself is solid and the action combat is fun.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

CompeAnansi posted:

This is pretty much exactly right. Once I stopped trying to play it as an MMO and started playing it as ES 5.5 (with always-on DRM), it became pretty fun. The social features of the game are pretty poo poo and it's missing some QoL features as an MMO, but the game itself is solid and the action combat is fun.

I'd say the action combat is actually better than a traditional TES game. It's much faster paced. :shobon:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Monohydrate posted:

I'd say the action combat is actually better than a traditional TES game. It's much faster paced. :shobon:

Its much better than Skyrim for sure. There's a lot more movement involved, timing blocking, resource management, and more abilities than just left mouse button + right mouse button and a quick-key spell.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Berke Negri posted:

Its much better than Skyrim for sure. There's a lot more movement involved, timing blocking, resource management, and more abilities than just left mouse button + right mouse button and a quick-key spell.

Skyrim could be played simply by spamming dual casted firebolt and perma-staggering everyone. So yeah, ESO is a definite improvement.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

Berke Negri posted:

Don't forget the one dragon shout you can equip!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, after all the updates and tweaks and fixes, ESO's combat is much better than Skyrim's.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

To be fair though, the combat in Solitaire is better than Skyrim.

Hopefully Bethesda takes some cues from ESO if/when they make a new Elder Scrolls game when it comes to combat though, think if Skyrim had ESO combat I would have played a ton more.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

What's the class/role spread look like in this game? I don't really like to be a part of the 'zerg' usually, especially if it means waiting for dungeons or anything like that.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Zarick posted:

What's the class/role spread look like in this game? I don't really like to be a part of the 'zerg' usually, especially if it means waiting for dungeons or anything like that.

I'm not sure what your asking... What is the most used class? Or how do I not wait hours upon hours to do dungeons because the group finder tool is absolutely not awesome?

There is no over used class/race/skills. This isn't your normal MMO. Pick a Sorcerer, then get a 2 hand weapon with a few pieces of medium and heavy armour then go to down crushing skulls and spitting spells at things. Roll a Dragon Knight and put a suit of fancy milk drinker cloth armour on and become a DPS god and wreck people.

There is no set way to play this. All weapons work with all classes. Be a DK tank, or a Sorc Tank, or a Sorc Magika monster or what ever floats your boat!

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Apr 26, 2015

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Having said that, you can expect that it's roughly the same as other MMOs with tanks and healers minority, damage majority.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

NuckmasterJ posted:

I'm not sure what your asking... What is the most used class? Or how do I not wait hours upon hours to do dungeons because the group finder tool is absolutely not awesome?

There is no over used class/race/skills. This isn't your normal MMO. Pick a Sorcerer, then get a 2 hand weapon with a few pieces of medium and heavy armour then go to down crushing skulls and spitting spells at things. Roll a Dragon Knight and put a suit of fancy milk drinker cloth armour on and become a DPS god and wreck people.

There is no set way to play this. All weapons work with all classes. Be a DK tank, or a Sorc Tank, or a Sorc Magika monster or what ever floats your boat!

I think that the group finder tool is fine. Select what you want a group for, select what role you can fill, let it search. The problem is that no one uses it, at any level.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The group find tool is too slow. You also can't set to it to look for a match in the background while you go do other stuff, unless i am missing something. That is why no one uses it.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

eSporks posted:

The group find tool is too slow. You also can't set to it to look for a match in the background while you go do other stuff, unless i am missing something. That is why no one uses it.

You can, no one uses it is the problem, more importantly groups looking to fill a couple of team member slots are not using it. I've gotten a few groups out of it but it usually tales thirty minutes + to an hour and by then I've forgotten about it or moved on.

I think its possible that there is "something" wrong with it but it definitely works in general.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Whenever I do pledges, it takes anywhere between 15 minutes to hour on average. It looks like it corresponds with whatever the pledge is, with low-level facerolls filling up relatively fast. But yes, biggest issue is that too little people use it.

Remnant from launch when I think it didn't exist? Adding in established guilds.

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Downloading this at the minute, only getting 2MB/s

I need instant gratification goddamnit.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I assume most people are playing on the US megaserver? Trying out the free trial now but it's always nice to have a guild-chat to duck in and out of.

ALSO will that cdkeys site give me a code that works on Steam, or will it only work on the TESO site?

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

Pierson posted:

I assume most people are playing on the US megaserver? Trying out the free trial now but it's always nice to have a guild-chat to duck in and out of.

ALSO will that cdkeys site give me a code that works on Steam, or will it only work on the TESO site?

TESO site.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
How important is ping in this game? Will I be forever cursing lag if I pick the US servers as a dirty euro?

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

Pierson posted:

There's a free trial?

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Berious posted:

How important is ping in this game? Will I be forever cursing lag if I pick the US servers as a dirty euro?

I'm based in London and playing on the U.S. servers and I've not encountered any major issues, just the occasional lagspike.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Owlkill posted:

I'm based in London and playing on the U.S. servers and I've not encountered any major issues, just the occasional lagspike.

Wow, I'm East Coast North America and my ping in the afternoons is usually around 300. I have amazing internet too. :(

Eskie
Jan 25, 2003
Could I get an invite to the EP guild? My ID is @Eskiee.

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

I still really love the dye system they put in. Makes playing lowbie alts so much less of an eyesore. My new Imperial sorcerer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RUM HAM
Sep 25, 2009

And my dirty Bosmer sneakthief:

• Locked thread