Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SgtScruffy posted:

TapTheForwardAssist, do you have any inside info?

I've been out of the DC scene since I've been living in Savannah for a little bit waiting on one of several overseas opportunities to open up. But I was there back in July when they were having hearings in DC about expanding medical, and all the usual players were bombing their mailing lists telling anyone with a plausible interest to go sign up to speak. IIRC, at the public hearing it was a packed house, and like 50+ people wanting to testify in support and only a couple against. So the Council just shrugged and went from our tight list of "you must be on death's door" to “any condition for which treatment with medical marijuana would be beneficial.”

IIRC around then there were people doing the whole headhunter thing, where for free (to the customer) they'll get you signed up at a home-base clinic if you qualify, and the clinic gives them a cut for sending them business. I glanced at some news articles, and a year ago there were like 360 people signed up on the MMJ rosters, and now it's 2,700.

They have some sort of process by which a doctor must be recognized by the Health Department to "recommend" (not prescribe) MMH, and if they prescribe more than 250 people in a year they have to be audited by the city.

I don't follow MMJ too closely since it's not my main area of interest on the topic; mostly I'm interested in breaking cycles of poverty/incarceration, and vaguely secondarily interested in whatever you call the weed equivalent of foodie culture. I can't use weed anyway because of job restrictions, but I do enjoy reading about people making new recipes and extractions, all the little artisanal methods, etc.

The DC Cannabis Campaign (which I think sometime very soon needs to re-label itself because election campaigns have to close within X months of the election ending) has been pretty busy with this ongoing "liberty pole" 24-hour protest on the National Mall, so I've really not heard much from them in the last month or so except that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

small hendren posted:

I think that the more we legalize drugs, the stupider our children is going to get. I think weed should be legal, sure, but heroin? Or crack? Nah, what good would it do for our child?

oh sure, it's "our" child now, but when that report card comes it's "my" child

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

small hendren posted:

... the stupider our children is going to get.

Thanks, G.W.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Huh, the House Oversight Committee just stepped up and blocked a DC bill... but it wasn't the weed one. They're blocking a bill which prohibits discrimination based on reproductive decisions by employers in DC; conservatives say it's setting the stage to force churches to pay for birth control and whatnot. Kind of odd that they single out this in particular:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0ada_story.html

The DC Cannabis Campaign leader got arrested yet again, protesting this override and refusing to leave, so got physically carried out by four Capitol Police.

There's also some rumbling that Congress might overturn DC's strict gun laws, which I have mixed feeling about because though I do support DC's self-determination, if gun owning can genuinely be termed a constitutional right then it's not right for local jurisdictions to limit that right. Same principle as gay marriage: states' rights doesn't mean you can limit inherent national rights.

But my overall point is that I'm finding it interesting that elements of Congress have been so vocal on the weed thing, but really haven't done much other than a sneak-attack budget rider, and they really haven't followed up on their attempts to claim that the rider rolls back decrim and legalization, while the District just interprets it as preventing commercial sales until the next fiscal year. So we could conceivably see preparation for DC commercial sales beginning in October (designating a Marijuana Control Board, hashing out zoning rules, etc) which could mean commercial sales starting in 2016. Unless Congress rams through the same rider, which is possible. Also the Mayor's "emergency legislation" to prevent cannabis clubs or legal use of marijuana on commercial property expires sometime mid-year (I think it's only 90 days that ELs last for in DC?).

Prior to his recent arrest, Eidinger wrote an op-ed piece for CNN that just came out "Don't Call Us Potheads": http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/22/opinions/eidinger-myth-of-potheads/index.html

It points out some interesting things I hadn't heard before, including that the CEO of Dr. Bronner's himself smokes cannabis. I knew the company was a huge supporter of Initiative 71 in DC, but I was never quite sure to what degree that was political, commercial (they use hempseed in their soaps so are active in industrial hemp advocacy), or personal. Also the article points out that DC had a 30% increase in the youth vote last year, compared to the previous midterm, and that for the first time in DC the youth vote outnumbered the senior citizen vote back last November.

EDIT: Also apparently 6 House Republicans and 6 Democrats just re-introduced the Respect State Marijuana Laws Act, the one that was bandied about in 2013 and basically lets states do whatever. No idea if this is remotely likely to pass, but I do find it interesting how bipartisan this one is. I'm still very curious to see if the Republicans try to steal the cannabis ball from the D's prior to the 2016 presidential. I can't see any scenario where the GOP actually takes the lead on legalization, but if they move enough towards the center I could see it taking some of the wind out of the sails of those who wanted to make cannabis in 2016 what anti-gay marriage was in 2010.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 23, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
DC stuff just gets sillier and sillier.

Early in the week, the Liberty Pole protest on the National Mall handed out free joints and had about 50+ people publicly smoking. Completely illegal because they're on Federal, not District, territory. Fox News was there to film it, and later that day Rep. Chaffetz (R-UT) was watching Fox (surprise) and started raising hell about why the National Park Service wasn't out there arresting everybody. Now he's demanding a probe of this failure by Park Police, and since Fox is Fox they're circling back to report on the kerfuffle they stirred up with their previous reporting.

The Park Police have replied simply that they didn't happen to have anyone standing right around there while it was happening (it was a few hours before 4:20 proper), and also nobody bothered to call in a complaint, so they had no reason to dispatch officers, but presumably would've made some arrests or something if they would've happened to have run across it.

Chaffetz then got upset about that, because the NPS had issued permits for the Liberty Pole, and knew "full well what this group stood for and why they were on the Mall". It was a 6-day, 24-hour protest, so I guess Chaffetz thinks NPS should''ve had a non-stop weeklong presence hanging out by the pole in case anybody fired up a spliff?

EDIT: Park Police did drop by the Pole a number of times, but pretty much entirely over OSHA stuff. The campaign ended up having to make a lot of on-the-fly modifications, like adding a red light to the top of the pole for visibility so, I dunno, a helicopter wouldn't hit it or something.

I'm really enjoying this whole saga, would probably make a fun comedy film once this is all behind us.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 24, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm really enjoying this whole saga, would probably make a fun comedy film once this is all behind us.

There is/was a documentary on Netflix about the Washington movement (both sides), I'd be hopeful.

You may be informed enough to draft it yourself!

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

There is/was a documentary on Netflix about the Washington movement (both sides), I'd be hopeful.

You may be informed enough to draft it yourself!

You wouldn't happen to know the name of that documentary of the top of your head by any chance would you?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

hangedman1984 posted:

You wouldn't happen to know the name of that documentary of the top of your head by any chance would you?

Evergreen. :420:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Is this more explicit than the last case, which just said they couldn't hold people for an "unreasonable" amount of time? Just curious how much cops will be able to squeeze in by stalling the routine traffic stop.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Well they said that even holding people for 10 extra minutes was unreasonable, so there's a number.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Something to watch for: the DCMJ has transitioned from a political campaign to an advocacy group. And, no promises, but one thing they're looking into is having a cannabis competition maybe this fall, to judge the best home-grown strains in DC, have the 8 wards all compete against each other. As long as the cannabis is donated and not sold, and no particular judge is possessing more than 2oz at a time, this looks to be perfectly legal in DC.

Beaters
Jun 28, 2004

SOWING SEEDS
OF MISERY SINCE 1937
FRYING LIKE A FRITO
IN THE SKILLET
OF HADES
SINCE 1975

DC stuff just gets sillier and sillier.

Early in the week, the Liberty Pole protest on the National Mall handed out free joints and had about 50+ people publicly smoking. Completely illegal because they're on Federal, not District, territory. Fox News was there to film it, and later that day Rep. Chaffetz (R-UT) was watching Fox (surprise) and started raising hell about why the National Park Service wasn't out there arresting everybody. [...]

Chaffetz then got upset about that, because the NPS had issued permits for the Liberty Pole, and knew "full well what this group stood for and why they were on the Mall". It was a 6-day, 24-hour protest, so I guess Chaffetz thinks NPS should''ve had a non-stop weeklong presence hanging out by the pole in case anybody fired up a spliff?

[...]

Surprise, surprise, another loving Mormon politician turns out to be a total jerk.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Beaters posted:

Surprise, surprise, another loving Mormon politician turns out to be a total jerk.

I know I keep saying this, but he and Harris are really working hard to become the stock "crusty old dean" archetype character from every 80's college campus comedy.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I was just watching Evergreen and I am amazed that the people in Washington thought that home grow was a 'pipe dream'

Pretty sure that worked in Colorado, no?

EDIT: Actually just watching it, I don't think the 502 leadership was very good. I see why some of my friends in Washington are pissed off. I know that if it was legal here one of my favorite parts would be the hobbyist growing portion.

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 28, 2015

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Colorado Gov seems a little too happy here: http://www.westword.com/news/video-john-hickenlooper-says-legalizing-pot-not-as-vexing-as-we-thought-6672597

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Bad news, good news. The bad news is that the House bill to allow VA doctors to recommend cannabis to veteran patients was voted down. The good news is it was only 210–213, , so basically 1.5% away from passing. Last year the same thing was put forth as an amendment to a VA bill, and voted down 195-222. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed that it's getting even those kind of numbers, I guess the ARE TROOPS thing is swaying a lot of otherwise skeptical folks. As an ARE troop, I support this measure.

Usual suspects saying the usual things:

quote:

"Why in the world would we give a drug that is addictive, that is prohibited under Schedule I, that is not accepted for any specific mental disease or disorder and enhances psychosis and schizophrenia, why are we going to give that to our veterans, especially those with PTSD? That is just absolutely insane," said Rep. John Fleming (R-La.), a physician.

Meanwhile, every dang time I look at GoogleNews there's rumblings of legalizing cannabis just scattered all over the country. Some just medical, but a lot recreational.

Oklahoma was just dragged kicking into this issue, and took the baby step of allowing CBD oil for clinical trials on epilepsy. I'm not a state politics guy, so I'm unclear as to why Oklahoma thinks that it has to conduct its own personal research and trials rather than, I dunno, talking to doctors from any of the dozens of states that use CBD on epilepsy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wow 210-213, that's super close for a push like that.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
In Texas Legalization News (ha ha!), most of the legalization/decrim efforts have been stymied by questionable voting practices practiced in subcomittiees. I honestly can't say more about this without dissolving into a slobbering mess of anger and frustration.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Bad news, good news. The bad news is that the House bill to allow VA doctors to recommend cannabis to veteran patients was voted down. The good news is it was only 210–213, , so basically 1.5% away from passing. Last year the same thing was put forth as an amendment to a VA bill, and voted down 195-222. Honestly, I'm pretty impressed that it's getting even those kind of numbers, I guess the ARE TROOPS thing is swaying a lot of otherwise skeptical folks. As an ARE troop, I support this measure.

Usual suspects saying the usual things:

Meanwhile, every dang time I look at GoogleNews there's rumblings of legalizing cannabis just scattered all over the country. Some just medical, but a lot recreational.

Oklahoma was just dragged kicking into this issue, and took the baby step of allowing CBD oil for clinical trials on epilepsy. I'm not a state politics guy, so I'm unclear as to why Oklahoma thinks that it has to conduct its own personal research and trials rather than, I dunno, talking to doctors from any of the dozens of states that use CBD on epilepsy.

Them Yankee doctors are too hopped up on dope to trust! :bahgawd:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Merrill Grinch posted:

In Texas Legalization News (ha ha!), most of the legalization/decrim efforts have been stymied by questionable voting practices practiced in subcomittiees. I honestly can't say more about this without dissolving into a slobbering mess of anger and frustration.

Well, one of the bills seems to have been revived: http://txcann.com/2015/05/04/marijuana-penalty-reduction-bill-passes-texas-committee/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Thanks for the heads-up, I've emailed Rep. Naishtat (Austin area state rep) to encourage him to keep supporting the measure, though I would imagine as an Austin rep he's already 110% onboard. But I figure it never hurts to spend two minutes to send a supportive email.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

When the gently caress is marijuana not going to be schedule 1

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZenVulgarity posted:

That depends whether you want non-medical marijuana to be legal or not.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ZenVulgarity posted:

We might be able to start having that conversation in 2017.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

ZenVulgarity posted:

Glib answer: When politicians stop using its status as Schedule I to continue to justify its status as Schedule I.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

computer parts posted:

That depends whether you want non-medical marijuana to be legal or not.

Decriminalized everywhere would be nice at a minimum

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
The entire scheduling system needs to be abolished.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Glib answer: When politicians stop using its status as Schedule I to continue to justify its status as Schedule I.

I see them indirectly doing this all the time, but if anyone has any ideal example of how circular this can be, I'd enjoy seeing it.

I've seen a lot of "we can't legalize marijuana, it's a Schedule 1 drug!", but I'm pretty sure I've seen the reaction to legalization campaigns "but we can't do that, marijuana is illegal!"

Starting to see more rumors that Nevada might try to head off the 2016 vote by legalizing legislatively. That said, folks have been watching for either Vermont or Rhode Island to be the first to legislatively legalize, but I haven't seen any strong efforts for them this year. Though in fairness we're not even halfway through, and even DC and Oregon just instated their legalization barely two months ago.

Providence is putting up a full billboard though:

quote:

The “Field of Dreams”-themed ad features stadium lights shining on two young professionals standing among a small field of marijuana plants, and it reads: “If we build it, they will come… It’s time to establish a regulated marijuana market in Rhode Island.”

All I can find is a tiny version:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
poo poo is about to get real:

quote:

Supreme Court Seeks Obama Administration Comment on Marijuana Case
Oklahoma and Nebraska call Colorado’s legalization of pot a ‘cross-border nuisance’ http://www.wsj.com/articles/supreme-court-seeks-obama-administration-comment-on-marijuana-case-1430750718

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Governor Haslam signed a bill Monday that would make cannabis oil legal for limited medical use in Tennessee.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2015/05/04/haslam-signs-cannabis-oil-bill/26866905/

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Kind of a fun short quiz on CS Monitor about cannabis history and politics:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Elections/2011/0104/How-much-do-you-know-about-marijuana-Take-the-quiz/Indigenous-marijuana

I got 70-something%, average score for readers is 46%.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

What's the likelihood of the Texas bill actually getting signed into law? As far as my limited knowledge of how congress works, aren't committees just the first hurdle to pass, what needs to be done after that/where does it need to go to be passed afterwards?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Bacons posted:

What's the likelihood of the Texas bill actually getting signed into law? As far as my limited knowledge of how congress works, aren't committees just the first hurdle to pass, what needs to be done after that/where does it need to go to be passed afterwards?

The committee has now passed it on to the legislature to get actually voted on. It still has to be scheduled to go up for vote, then it will be voted on by all the legislators, not just the committee. I have no idea what the realistic chances are of them reducing marijuana penalties, I suppose it will depend on how much money is being put into Texas politics by the prison industry.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Bill to legalize pot clears Texas House panel

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/politics/2015/05/06/bill-to-legalize-pot-clears-texas-house-panel/70918838/

AUSTIN — A proposal to legalize marijuana in Texas will head to the calendars committee, and possibly the House floor, after it was approved by a House committee Wednesday evening.

House Bill 2165 by state Rep. David Simpson (R-Longview) would allow possession and delivery of marijuana beginning in September 2015. It would still be illegal to sell the drug to minors. The measure passed the House Criminal Jurisprudence Committee on a 5-2 vote.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I can't believe that one got through committee. With a 5-2 vote, too!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Day Man posted:

I can't believe that one got through committee. With a 5-2 vote, too!

People are looking at WA and CO and realizing the money's on the table.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

MattO posted:

Bill to legalize pot clears Texas House panel

:eyepop:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It will be interesting to see how the Patrick-Abbot spat will affect this bill.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Chalets the Baka posted:

The entire scheduling system needs to be abolished.

I frankly don't agree with this - it's being wildly misused re especially the less harmful recreational drugs, but People Are Dumb. The most obvious case where turning everything into over-the-counter would be extremely questionable is antibiotics, because that's one of the cases that goes from "protecting your health from yourself" to "protecting the public health".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I frankly don't agree with this - it's being wildly misused re especially the less harmful recreational drugs, but People Are Dumb. The most obvious case where turning everything into over-the-counter would be extremely questionable is antibiotics, because that's one of the cases that goes from "protecting your health from yourself" to "protecting the public health".

... antibiotics explicitly aren't covered by scheduling laws though? He didn't say end all regulation, just abolish the scheduling system. Which certainly has some arguments against it, but this isn't one of them.

• Locked thread