Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wheeee posted:

Being able to communicate with the future owners of your employer and their management team.

There's a bunch of 40-somethings who learned Japanese with that logic. I can see learning Mandarin if you're in New York or another state with many Mandarin speakers, or if you actively plan to work with a Chinese company. Not because you believe that China will economically dominate America one day, that's much less useful than learning fluency in Spanish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't think the people that learned Japanese used that logic.

edit wait 40-somethings? Yeah maybe, but they can't number more than a thousand.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

No it's dumb. Spanish in particular but French or Italian as well are far more useful, because you have actual people speaking it producing media that can be used.

So much stuff has changed since Latin that it's more something that you might learn if the student already had extensive foreign language learning in elementary and middle school, rather than something you should start with.

I teach Latin and I think both sides of this argument are pretty ridiculous.Most here are arguing about utility and the difference between one language and another is not that great if you factor in history and culture.

Most anecdotes talk about Latin being a good second language to learn, since the grammar is easily organized and that organization is transferable to other languages. I don't really understand what you mean when you say that things have changed since Latin, though. Neither people nor languages are that different.

On another note, what is the language ability for the candidates? Last round, Huntsman knew Mandarin, which didn't help him at all and I think Perry knew Spanish? Will there be a Spanish-language debate?

Fell Fire fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 25, 2015

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Aliquid posted:

I assure you they did. The expat scene in Tokyo is still full of them. They all have that as their origin story, and some of them are now working in their mandarin.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mooyashi posted:

but I guess I learned a lot about syntax and also that you can just string descriptions together into frankenwords rather than coming up with something whole cloth

I was searching for Gaimans American Gods on Audible.co.uk the other month. For some reason, German language versions show up in some of the results. The German version of the book was 3 hours longer than the English.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ulf posted:

I assure you they did. The expat scene in Tokyo is still full of them. They all have that as their origin story, and some of them are now working in their mandarin.

Lul origin stories. They got bit by animu spikers?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Ulf posted:

Yes. Growing up in the US in the 80's there was definitely a streak of paranoia that the Japanese with their superior manufacturing and roaring economy were going to buy up everything.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Macker is campaigning/fundraising for Hillary in SC today. That brings her delegate count up by one, though there was never much doubt about him.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Paolomania posted:

Yes. Growing up in the US in the 80's there was definitely a streak of paranoia that the Japanese with their superior manufacturing and roaring economy were going to buy up everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djMYTM1p318

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Paolomania posted:

There were even movies about it!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Paolomania posted:

https://youtu.be/UlEFqR4SaVA?t=38

A 30-second encapsulation of 1980s American paranoia about Japan.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOdELisKpP4

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

On another note, what is the language ability for the candidates? Last round, Huntsman knew Mandarin, which didn't help him at all and I think Perry knew Spanish? Will there be a Spanish-language debate?

Jeb and Rubio would probably be the only attendees. I don't know if Cruz actually speaks Spanish.

Marcus Roberto
Dec 30, 2004

by exmarx

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Jeb and Rubio would probably be the only attendees. I don't know if Cruz actually speaks Spanish.

Most Canadians dont.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I got contacted by someone from the Pat Quinn campaign about a Hillary fundraiser in Chicago. Does he still have a convention vote as an ex-governor?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There were even movies about it!

that's your example?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's happening!

's running.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The X-man cometh posted:

I got contacted by someone from the Pat Quinn campaign about a Hillary fundraiser in Chicago. Does he still have a convention vote as an ex-governor?

Nope. You can review the superdelegate selection rules here.

McAuliffe, in addition to getting in by being a Governor, is a superdelegate for life, since he was a DNC chair.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Wonder if he'll split the technocrat funding stream Rand Paul is counting on.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

He's about to get his rear end handed to him in a couple of weeks. In 2011 he cut corporate taxes by $2 billion, raised taxes on poor people and old people, cut a billion from school aid fund and called it shared sacrifice. Our roads are falling apart so now he's trying to get people to vote on May 5 to approve a hike in the sales tax to maybe fix roads (the first four years will pay for paying debt on road repairs). Progressives, Liberal Democrats and tea party all plan on voting no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-0zaKcWj0

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Paolomania posted:

This is why half of cyberpunk has Japan as a looming corporate power, including Shadowrun and Blade Runner!

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Growing up in Michigan in the 80s Japan was way scarier than the USSR, although given how things turned out with US and Japanese car makers it wasn't entirely baseless.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Quorum posted:

This is why half of cyberpunk has Japan as a looming corporate power, including Shadowrun and Blade Runner!

They also had a colonel go batshit rogue and seize California under a dictatorship. So there's that.

e: in Shadowrun, just to be clear :v:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Chokes McGee posted:

They also had a colonel go batshit rogue and seize California under a dictatorship. So there's that.

e: in Shadowrun, just to be clear :v:

And elves took over Oregon, so it's not the most realistic.

Khorre
Jan 28, 2009

The X-man cometh posted:

And elves took over Oregon, so it's not the most realistic.

Oregonians are the closest we have to elves, tbh.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Is there a livestream of this lovely Iowa event happening today?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Quorum posted:

Yeah it's almost quaint looking at a game like BattleTech where Space Japan is a major power but Space China is basically an also ran.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

This is going to be amazing, I am so excited, this will be fun

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Tough posted:

Yeah it's almost quaint looking at a game like BattleTech where Space Japan is a major power but Space China is basically an also ran.
I remember one cyberpunk universe where the dominant world power was a Russo-Japanese alliance of some sort, the Chinese had been punked by plague and military fractiousness, the US was a dictatorial hellhole, and the exciting rising power was a fusion of Chile and Argentina.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

What is he going to run on? Doesn't he have a hilariously terrible record even for a Republican.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Axetrain posted:

What is he going to run on? Doesn't he have a hilariously terrible record even for a Republican.

Terrible in the regular sense, but also not terrible enough to be a real crazy contender.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Axetrain posted:

Being whatever palatable name they've created for being anti-union. Also although everyone on D&D seems to hate the Detroit city manager thing it could probably play well with the certain swing groups (IE suburbs which hate the way their major city is run.)

edit: I'm shocked he's jumping in though. Walker has the exact same base as he does AND more "accomplishments" in their shared specialty of union loving AND national recognition AND years of additional free publicity in portions of Iowa which get their news from neighboring Wisconsin. Not to mention a head start and so far successful roll out. This is starting to turn into the strongest field since the 2008 Democrats, which was probably the strongest field since... uhhh the 1980 Republicans?

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 25, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aliquid posted:

edit wait 40-somethings? Yeah maybe, but they can't number more than a thousand.

When my mom went back to school for her degree in the late 90s she took Japanese since she needed to take a language and she was the only person in the class whose reason for taking it wasn't "anime" when the teacher asked.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

He's about to get his rear end handed to him in a couple of weeks. In 2011 he cut corporate taxes by $2 billion, raised taxes on poor people and old people, cut a billion from school aid fund and called it shared sacrifice. Our roads are falling apart so now he's trying to get people to vote on May 5 to approve a hike in the sales tax to maybe fix roads (the first four years will pay for paying debt on road repairs). Progressives, Liberal Democrats and tea party all plan on voting no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-0zaKcWj0

Sounds like he's going to get the backing of most Republicans for delivering all that freedom to his state :911:

Nessus posted:

I remember one cyberpunk universe where the dominant world power was a Russo-Japanese alliance of some sort, the Chinese had been punked by plague and military fractiousness, the US was a dictatorial hellhole, and the exciting rising power was a fusion of Chile and Argentina.

X-Crawl has an (immortal?) Emperor Ronald Reagan and I think JFK was an orc?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Come watch Iowa Faith and Freedom conference

http://www.c-span.org/video/?325573-1/iowa-faith-freedom-coalition-summit

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

*turns on*
*Marco Rubio saying "American Century"*

Jesus gently caress republicans are so inbred they just run around the same set of FAITH+GOVERNMENT conventions saying the same poo poo to a different group of white people

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Jazerus posted:

https://youtu.be/UlEFqR4SaVA?t=38

A 30-second encapsulation of 1980s American paranoia about Japan.

I was really hoping this was going to be a Blade Runner clip. :(

Evil Fluffy posted:

When my mom went back to school for her degree in the late 90s she took Japanese since she needed to take a language and she was the only person in the class whose reason for taking it wasn't "anime" when the teacher asked.

I tried to take learn Japanese in grad school because Japanese rhetoric is super understudied and it would have been a good way to do something few others in comp/rhet were doing, but gently caress learning a non-romance language in, accelerated classes even over the summer (also I suck hard at foreign languages - I have 4 years of college German, can't speak poo poo, and my written translation skills have already atrophied to almost nothing). Anyway most of the class was undergrads who were there for the animes.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 25, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rubio: we need to stop giving degrees for jobs that do not make money. We need college to sit down each student and tell them how much they will make so they do not spend thousands of dollars to major in basket weaving

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Really, why wouldn't Snyder, Scott, Kasich, and Walker just all rally around one of them instead of all of them running? They're all basically the same.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

In a stunning turn of events, every state now gets appointed its own emergency manager. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Rand Paul is the finger in the dyke"

• Locked thread