Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Rape is a male privlage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Sir Lucius posted:

Rape is a male privlage

I'd consider it more of a right than anything

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Cosmic Fury posted:

Then at least changes will have been made, and I'll have gotten out of the military as a bitter vet, on my way to a well-paying job. I know as a junior sailor that I'm gonna get screwed if a good idea of mine gets implemented. Sure, I'll not get the credit for it, but at the very least life won't be as big of a shitstorm as it usually is. Ultimately, I win either way -- but getting called out for a good idea would be great icing on the cake, I admit...

Getting ready to go to boot

Cosmic Fury posted:

It takes a really kickass chain of command to really get the ball rolling, and it's too bad that I've only seen a couple that actually work well all the way from the ground up. For example, my old one had a kickass upper chain of command while the majority of my immediate superiors were douchebags, didn't know any better, or simply didn't care. It's a travesty, I know, and I can only change so much no matter what position I find myself in.

Is either in second TRACOM or has been in for 7 years and has a PCS on the books

Cosmic Fury posted:

When I was a kid, I was all about "making a difference" when I didn't know what the hell I was talking about. Hell, I still admit to not entirely knowing what it means. But at least if I can improve my lot in life as well as those that work under me, then I'll at least be satisfied with that. After all, it's better than sitting around and twiddling my thumbs while I'm watching dumbasses living it up better than me.

Getting ready to go to boot.

Seriously, this post has bugged me all day and is dumb. The best case scenario is you are really, deeply, frighteningly naive.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Yeah I liked that one. Truth from the system/machine's perspective. But what can we say? It's like on one hand we're replaceable cogs in a giant system and don't matter but at the same time if there really is a cultural problem where majority of the people you want in are leaving then the system will end up hurting itself.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Thanks for the reminder shipmate.

If I drink a six pack really quick I think I'll be on the same level though.

You should at least be able to pull down a handjob from her.
And those can go oral pretty quickly from my recollection.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Howard Phillips posted:

Dunno if you've seen the "4 Reasons I Am Resigning My Commission As A Naval Officer" article that's been making the rounds. http://taskandpurpose.com/4-reasons-i-am-resigning-my-commission-as-a-naval-officer/

The online response by senior (meaning mostly terminal O4s and O5s) has been "How dare she complain and criticize without recommending solutions! Priviliged millennial!" Which speaks volumes for itself. The fact that the institution doesn't tolerate any criticism or legitimate complaint basically dooms itself to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

I have seen some seriously cringe-worthy responses to this article that amount to "BooHoo, get your rear end in the kitchen and leave this to the menfolk." On official Navy websites. It's sad.

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 26, 2015

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Howard Phillips posted:

Yeah I liked that one. Truth from the system/machine's perspective. But what can we say? It's like on one hand we're replaceable cogs in a giant system and don't matter but at the same time if there really is a cultural problem where majority of the people you want in are leaving then the system will end up hurting itself.

Yeah I agree. For a satire website, it's pretty loving accurate how top level officials probably think about some of this stuff.

A special snowflake leaves...and nothing was lost at all.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

poopkitty posted:

I have seen some seriously cringe-worthy responses to this article that amount to "BooHoo, get your rear end in the kitchen and leave this to the menfolk." On official Navy websites. It's sad.

Should report the really awful ones and get a COM

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

nwin posted:

Yeah I agree. For a satire website, it's pretty loving accurate how top level officials probably think about some of this stuff.

A special snowflake leaves...and nothing was lost at all.

All snowflakes melt into water.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

Remember the chat we had at work yesterday? What I told you still stands. Go IT...it will net you a much more tangible skillset on the outside than anything else in that list.

I'd argue AEGIS will set you up better than IT assuming you want to be a contractor and keeping in mind there are more ITs than just the computer type ITs. You could end up a radio IT! I saw earlier though that dude's only got like 8 months or something left and it would take you that time just to get through FC 'A' School.

poopkitty posted:

It's frightening how racist, misogynistic, and homophobic a lot of older people in the military are (especially older retired contractors).

Please be trolling?

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

I'd argue AEGIS will set you up better than IT assuming you want to be a contractor and keeping in mind there are more ITs than just the computer type ITs. You could end up a radio IT! I saw earlier though that dude's only got like 8 months or something left and it would take you that time just to get through FC 'A' School.

AEGIS is too niche, and he wouldn't have spent enough time doing it anywhere other than a classroom to be competitive in that kind of role. As an IT, he'd get a handful of certs while in A school (A+/Sec+) and could use that foundational knowledge to get through CCNA as well. And yes, he could end up being a radio IT but that would probably still be more marketable in the long-term than anything AEGIS.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Howard Phillips posted:

Well, yes and no. Is everyone replacable? Yes, absolutely. That doesn't make it smart, desirable, or even functional.

For instance, I hold 6 AQD's related to TLAM. I'm currently the only one in the Navy to have all six. When I get out in 6-8 months that will mostly be lost to the Navy (possible use in reserves) and while they can certainly replace me, that means that:
a) The Navy is not retaining this kind of in depth training and experience for eventual O5/O6 positions within the system
b) There is no horizontal growth (a one for one replacement means that the Navy only ever has one).

Meanwhile, all of this training costs in money and time, and the experience will never be recovered.

So yes, individually it's not in issue but within the larger system it is a big problem.

Boon fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 26, 2015

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

Howard Phillips posted:

Dunno if you've seen the "4 Reasons I Am Resigning My Commission As A Naval Officer" article that's been making the rounds. http://taskandpurpose.com/4-reasons-i-am-resigning-my-commission-as-a-naval-officer/

The online response by senior (meaning mostly terminal O4s and O5s) has been "How dare she complain and criticize without recommending solutions! Priviliged millennial!" Which speaks volumes for itself. The fact that the institution doesn't tolerate any criticism or legitimate complaint basically dooms itself to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

The Duffle Blog sort of blew it out of the loving water, and to be honest the reason why the navy explains why it is full of 40 year old white dudes is sort of top gun, like the officers who are 05-07ish are guys who were ring nockers in the top gun era, and my god it just reads like "boo hoo the military isn't family friendly? Blame congress for doing poo poo gently caress man, its just full of complaining about dumb things without context, gently caress man, you should know this. Man, I like you, but ugh, it feels like you are trying to sympathize with someone who forgets we effectively sign a borderline slavery contract to the powers that be, at least acknowledge that part.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

AEGIS is too niche, and he wouldn't have spent enough time doing it anywhere other than a classroom to be competitive in that kind of role. As an IT, he'd get a handful of certs while in A school (A+/Sec+) and could use that foundational knowledge to get through CCNA as well. And yes, he could end up being a radio IT but that would probably still be more marketable in the long-term than anything AEGIS.

Not sure how niche AEGIS really is. At the end of the day he'd have a bunch of knowledge of electronics in general, and depending on his c school could go the same way with certs (ACNT). Obviously that hinges on ACNT being available for orders (it never comes up, I have no idea who's running the ACNT workcenters on ships because I'm the only ACNT tech I know of that reenlisted).

I wasn't aware that IT A pushes everyone towards computers, that's pretty cool and yea, I'd agree IT is what he should go for.

Look man I'm an Aegis FC and as such am dutifully required to push it (pick IT).

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Concern is also whether he'll have to obliserv due to training (quite extensive for both IT and FC). Dunno if you just want to get out or you don't mind re-upping for potentially at least 3-4 years?

Radio IT can be useful in civilian sector if you get the right experience with the hardware. Seen comms ETs and ITs get out and work for cell phone companies.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
go IS bro and be a SPY

son gay. so what
Mar 13, 2011

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

go ISIS bro and be a SPY

لله‎الحَمْد

son gay. so what fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

go IS bro and do some PPT

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Boon posted:

Well, yes and no. Is everyone replacable? Yes, absolutely. That doesn't make it smart, desirable, or even functional.

For instance, I hold 6 AQD's related to TLAM. I'm currently the only one in the Navy to have all six. When I get out in 6-8 months that will mostly be lost to the Navy (possible use in reserves) and while they can certainly replace me, that means that:
a) The Navy is not retaining this kind of in depth training and experience for eventual O5/O6 positions within the system
b) There is no horizontal growth (a one for one replacement means that the Navy only ever has one).

Meanwhile, all of this training costs in money and time, and the experience will never be recovered.

So yes, individually it's not in issue but within the larger system it is a big problem.

The AQD system is broke as gently caress. VERY few of them actually mean anything (i.e. major warfare designators, command, JPME I/II/JQO, etc)

There are TONS of AQDs out there that denote immense experience that get absolutely zero visibility whatsoever.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Radio IT would give me valuable experience I can bullshit and re-form into a resume for some of the *more unique* DoD positions when mixed with my SIGINT. Really either IT role would be a boon to my experience. I've got 15 months until soft EAOS, but I doubt they'd cut me loose for a longer A-school than the four monthers. I can still parlay being trilingual DLPT'd and mix that with any set of relevant skills to hopefully pull out a good contracting gig when I get out. What's the deal with ITS? NCC said they're asking people that want to go IT to go subs now.

Analogical fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 26, 2015

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Analogical posted:

Radio IT would give me valuable experience I can bullshit and re-form into a resume for some of the *more unique* DoD positions when mixed with my SIGINT. Really either IT role would be a boon to my experience. I've got 15 months until soft EAOS, but I doubt they'd cut me loose for a longer A-school than the four monthers. I can still parlay being trilingual DLPT'd and mix that with any set of relevant skills to hopefully pull out a good contracting gig when I get out. What's the deal with ITS? NCC said they're asking people that want to go IT to go subs now.

IT's on the ship were the only ones pulling tail on the reg underway (male or female) so that's what I would recommend.

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

Evil Overlord of Darkness

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Getting ready to go to boot

Is either in second TRACOM or has been in for 7 years and has a PCS on the books

Getting ready to go to boot.

Seriously, this post has bugged me all day and is dumb. The best case scenario is you are really, deeply, frighteningly naive.

Yeah, I've been told that in spite of my ASVAB scores that I am surprisingly stupid. Perhaps my head will actually be hard enough to pull it off.

And yeah, I'm actually getting PCS'd as we speak, and already have endorsements on hand for what I'm about to attempt. My foot's already in the door, and to be honest, if I don't end up getting the package after all (because of this apparently empty noggin), I'll have gotten what I initially joined the Navy for anyway: a free college degree plus some, just waiting for me as soon as I end my contract in two short years.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cosmic Fury posted:

Yeah, I've been told that in spite of my ASVAB scores that I am surprisingly stupid. Perhaps my head will actually be hard enough to pull it off.

The ASVAB is a hilariously easy test that imo is not a great barometer of actual intelligence. I'm actually not sure what it's supposed to be measuring.

I'll never forget the day in A school when we all compared ASVAB scores, I thought I was in some kind of super high ASVAB exclusive club (because that's what recruiters told me!), turns out with the right scores an FC can have a comparatively low score, like low 50s, probably lower.

E: Barracks watch is a loving blast. PETTY OFFICER THERE IS NO TOILET PAPER IN THE FEMALE HEAD AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 26, 2015

Cosmic Fury
Jan 8, 2015

Evil Overlord of Darkness
Yeah, I've heard numerous jokes about that. Most point toward it being a stupid meter of sorts. The farther from average you score (low or high) the more stupid you are. If that's truly the case, I'm pants - on - head retarded and probably deserve to have been suckered into picking the wrong job at MEPS.

I suppose I'll have to live and learn (hopefully). Either way, I don't have that long left, and really all I'm on is a quest to make my remaining two years as tolerable as possible.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Cosmic Fury posted:

Yeah, I've heard numerous jokes about that. Most point toward it being a stupid meter of sorts. The farther from average you score (low or high) the more stupid you are. If that's truly the case, I'm pants - on - head retarded and probably deserve to have been suckered into picking the wrong job at MEPS.

I suppose I'll have to live and learn (hopefully). Either way, I don't have that long left, and really all I'm on is a quest to make my remaining two years as tolerable as possible.

It's generally the people with 99s that I see having a complete lack of common sense. I scored a 92 (TOTALLY NOT BRAGGING GUYS) so maybe I'm retarded too. I mean I did willfully join the Navy.

It's odd to me that you say that you want your last two years to be as tolerable as possible but you're all about making waves and poo poo, and you're evidently putting some kind of package in for some kind of program. Good luck in any case.

By the way no one freak out, we found some toilet paper. Crisis averted, stop the problem, stop the clock.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 26, 2015

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Scoring high usually just means you'll be taking orders to clean toilets from someone who scored lower than you.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sir Lucius posted:

Scoring high usually just means you'll be taking orders to clean toilets from someone who scored lower than you.

I'll show them! I'll score lower than anyone!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got a 97 and "unlocked" every job in the navy except those with an age requirement.
I'm most certainly pants-on-head retarded for joining at my age but I do have a lot more common sense at least.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I got like an 80 or some poo poo, guess I'm loving retarded, I re-enlisted 3 years ago after all, but I just told my NCC last monday that I was done with the Navy, so I eagerly await being sent TAD to Security.

I am in full Skater Second Class mode right now though.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

orange juche posted:

I got like an 80 or some poo poo, guess I'm loving retarded, I re-enlisted 3 years ago after all, but I just told my NCC last monday that I was done with the Navy, so I eagerly await being sent TAD to Security.

I am in full Skater Second Class mode right now though.

One time I skated so hard I got out of an award ceremony and was left to man the space. Captain ropeyarned entire command and no one told me so I sat alone by myself till the end of the day.

Use your powers wisely.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fart Sandwiches posted:

One time I skated so hard I got out of an award ceremony and was left to man the space. Captain ropeyarned entire command and no one told me so I sat alone by myself till the end of the day.

Use your powers wisely.

I missed mandatory all hands SAPR training on Friday already, they were gone for like 3 hours and someone walked in the shop and asked why I wasn't there. My response was that I didn't have any clue the training was going on. Skating owns.

I've missed 2 retirement ceremonies in the last 2 months as well, shits great.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

My score was 88. :hitler:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I got a 99 on it my jr year of HS. That was '94 or '95 I think.
I took it again in 2000 and got a 95, after a few years of college.
If I took it now I'd prolly get like a 70 going by my estimates...

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ASVAB scores, great, y'all gonna break out some boot stories next?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

It was alright I guess. Breakfast was nice.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
One time my RDC got so mad he threw a chair across the room and it broke!

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Oh yeah? Well did your RDC show up in the NAVY TIMES as the HITLER of boot camp?!?!?! Didn't think so :smuggo:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Shower time must have been terrifying.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Sir Lucius posted:

Shower time must have been terrifying.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Order the soup. Pour all your food in the soup. Shovel it in.

• Locked thread