Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

You have to download the chinese version because NCSoft never bothered localizing it.

Or the japanese one actually, it went f2p recently

Chinese version costs like a couple dollars a month for premium, but it also has an exchange where you could buy cash shop currency from players for in-game money.

LordSaturn posted:

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right?

It's less 8 year olds and more you can make them anything between a tiny, ancient kung fu master (your crazy old master in the tutorial is a member of this race, massive bushy eyebrows and all) and an 8 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Tiny sexy old man

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Well there was/is an Elvis costume for men.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
is the tiny fuckbaby mmo the one with the tiny police car mount because that's sort of like a counterbalance right

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gaybee posted:

To anyone still playing: Is there a high population idling in cities? I know sub numbers would be pretty low, but there should be some activity going on.

Only on the PvE server. The PvP server is literally a ghost town.

Also lots of people idle in their houses.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Wow okay nevermind, I'll just stick to Ninja Gaiden for my kung-fu needs.

And yeah TERA is the one that has the backbone of being a decent game but the aesthetic and questionable decisions have gone way out of control.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I have a high tolerance for bad MMOs and Wildstar was up there.

I never got into the Wildstar beta as none of the keys I got worked, nor did I follow the thread, so I didn't get to see the early warning signs. They hooked me with housing stuff and the sub-class that was jump puzzles (my favorite part of GW2). I unlocked my mount and quit.

I should note that WS is not the first to have a Dev post here with goons afraid we would scare them off with our criticism. That poo poo happened with Warhammer Online, too.

I know this is a little off-topic, but what the gently caress happened with ArcheAge? I saw a lot of hype and then the thread just vanished. poo poo, Age of Conan / Mortal Online / Darkfall lasted longer than that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mayor McCheese posted:

I know this is a little off-topic, but what the gently caress happened with ArcheAge? I saw a lot of hype and then the thread just vanished. poo poo, Age of Conan / Mortal Online / Darkfall lasted longer than that.

the leader of the goon guild was going to extreme lengths to defend and harbor a pedophile and it came out and there was a lot of ruckus and it basically resulted in the guild dissolving when ANOTHER person tried to sneak the pedophile back in

as for the game itself, rift put in a bunch of lovely micros and killed themselves trying to cash out

e: trion did the micros thing, but they make rift and ruined that too, so

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

That was the game with the race of half-dressed eight-year-olds, right? And there was a whole little teacup storm when they toned down the naked child butt for the US release?

That was Tera. B&S midget race is not compromised of just little girls you can make little boys, little adults and little old people plus its your only escape from the games massive hard on for huge thighs.

Also enjoy picking them if you want a force master that isnt a woman, summoner since no other race can make them or their version of swordmaster since its unique to them.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

sword_man.gif posted:

the leader of the goon guild was going to extreme lengths to defend and harbor a pedophile and it came out and there was a lot of ruckus and it basically resulted in the guild dissolving when ANOTHER person tried to sneak the pedophile back in

as for the game itself, rift put in a bunch of lovely micros and killed themselves trying to cash out

e: trion did the micros thing, but they make rift and ruined that too, so

It really seems like there's a consistent theme among early MMO goons that there's just this cadre of creepy, miserable fucks that tries to snipe all the guilds and officer positions as fast as possible and power trip. Fortunately, it seems adults with working brains are adverse to having child grooming scum and co. in any position of authority over themselves.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people? I mean sure, realistically they were talking out of their rear end and they were never, ever going to keep that up but I remember it being a big feature when they were promoting the game and a major justification for having a subscription in the first place. Usually people get batshit mad when companies go back on their promises like that.

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people?

It was, but Carbine and the official forums are what they are.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people? I mean sure, realistically they were talking out of their rear end and they were never, ever going to keep that up but I remember it being a big feature when they were promoting the game and a major justification for having a subscription in the first place. Usually people get batshit mad when companies go back on their promises like that.

Also, NCSoft should've just localised B&S and saved themselves millions on this piece of poo poo game.

By the time they went full tilt into damage control caused by their own patches most people that bought into wildstar had already left and the people still in it were so deep inside their own asses that they didn't care.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

croutonZA posted:

Eh, to be honest I probably would have done what they did if I knew what they did. NCSoft has been trying to get a successful western market game for awhile now, and whenever they brought their korean games to the western market they've never done well enough to justify it. B&S would have 100% done better in the western market than wildstar, but when they chose to go with this plan it was "do we localize our game and have it be yet another flop or do we fund this group of successful MMO developers to make a game for us that will be designed from the ground up for a western audience?" Remember that these devs could all put "worked on wow" on their resumes, and even if they were all canned or left because they thought the game sucked it's still got pull with people who don't understand the western market all that well.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thunderbro posted:

It really seems like there's a consistent theme among early MMO goons that there's just this cadre of creepy, miserable fucks that tries to snipe all the guilds and officer positions as fast as possible and power trip. Fortunately, it seems adults with working brains are adverse to having child grooming scum and co. in any position of authority over themselves.

hang on you mean the kind of person who sets out to get a second job that you have to pay to do might be a deranged braindamaged idiot??

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The thing is that NCSoft knew from the start that B&S wasn't your typical korean MMO. Its very streamlined and westernized to the point that most koreans put it in the same block as WoW when it comes to describing MMOs (when you are signing up for betas they'll have games like Lineage 1/2, RO, etc in one side and WoW, B&S, BD in another). Hell when it came out there was backlash from a bunch of koreans that it was too streamlined. Funny thing because now days really hardcore kMMOs are really rare.

B&S was one of NCsofts biggest earners because of how popular it is in china and its continued success it korea. Having a few servers guys, a few community managers and a few translators working on it would have generated them a whole lot more money than the negative return of investment that wildstar must have given them. Now they might as well not bring it to the states, I dont think people would care about it.

vvvv
In the states? No they dont do well in the states mostly because their well deserved reputation of being grindfests unsuited for the western market. Lineage, Aion and B&S are still successful in korea with B&S being pretty popular in other parts of asia.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 25, 2015

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Bauxite posted:

Eh, to be honest I probably would have done what they did if I knew what they did. NCSoft has been trying to get a successful western market game for awhile now, and whenever they brought their korean games to the western market they've never done well enough to justify it. B&S would have 100% done better in the western market than wildstar, but when they chose to go with this plan it was "do we localize our game and have it be yet another flop or do we fund this group of successful MMO developers to make a game for us that will be designed from the ground up for a western audience?" Remember that these devs could all put "worked on wow" on their resumes, and even if they were all canned or left because they thought the game sucked it's still got pull with people who don't understand the western market all that well.

Their Korean games do that badly? Like, right now I'm sure Aion isn't doing all too well for them in the west but at launch I remember it sold a lot of boxes.

And yeah, I can see where you're coming from. The "hire ex-Blizzard devs and get them to make something for you" strategy worked well with ArenaNet.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The thing is that NCSoft knew from the start that B&S wasn't your typical korean MMO.

You're 100% right, it's not the typical kmmo, and you're 100% right that it would probably have done at least as well as TERA, probably better, but I can just understand why they'd be hesitant to do that when they'd been burned on the western market so many times before, and funding a game made by ex wow devs isn't generally thought to be such a bad idea. Or, at least, it wasn't until Wildstar.

I don't really think anyone could have told you the game would be poo poo terrible until maybe closed beta, and that isn't enough time to make the game better. At that point you're better off launching the game, hoping you make enough to cover the costs, and then shutting it down when it's all said and done. I'm still amazed the game hasn't been turned off by NCSoft.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I would have greenlit WS too for the reasons bauxite is saying. Hindsight being 20/20, it was a bad idea but not a bad strategic business decision if that makes any sense. They just hired the wrong team to do it.

Also, B&S totally should have been localized and they should have spent a little extra to make the western version more appetizing to western players. It would have been profitable enough.

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

croutonZA posted:

I think it was more that the game was so broken at launch that people said "Ok, get the game stable". Then every patch they applied broke more than it fixed. Servers commonly bit the dust after a patch push and had to be down for hours to be brought back up in a stable state.

Add to the fact that getting attuned was such a bitch, and people were happy the "drop a month" thing was killed. The first two drops deployed so poorly and so half-assed that people wanted them to stop focusing on putting out extremely buggy new content, and just fix the content we have now.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

I feel like B&S, if the Chinese version isn't any different from the Korean version, wouldn't have too many problems being appealing. Leveling up isn't a massive grind, respeccing your skills and talents was easy, the combat is like a hybrid of action and tab-target, dungeons are designed for a single party and the dungeon finder has its own big chat room, the dungeon finder spawns its own hub area with a guy who will accept daily quest turn-ins and a general/repair merchant, the faction PvP is introduced as part of the main questline and only requires putting on or taking off your faction uniforms, and there's quite a bit of free/quest reward clothes for playing dressup. You can run up walls and trees and glide all over the place, or run and jump across water, when you feel like goofing around.

Really, all NCsoft would have to do is not change any systems to be worse somehow.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
As long as they keep the realtime dynamic physics 56HHH titties whatever man im down :pervert:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Really, all NCsoft would have to do is not change any systems to be worse somehow.

I don't think I'd go that far. You're right that the mmo is much less offensive to western audience sensibilities in terms of systems, but the art style is pretty out there. I could stomach TERA and even the elin poo poo, but THIGHS THIGHS THIGHS was a little too much even for me when I tried it out. That's not gonna help its case in a western release. It'd do okay, but I don't think it'd ever go beyond a market share about the same as TERA's, especially with stuff like black desert on the horizon.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

and then

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wildstar's servers are literally the old city of heroes servers. The data used to store my cool fishman with a gun was probably reallocated to the .wav of the guy yelling HEEEEY! HEY!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Normal Adult Human posted:

Wildstar's servers are literally the old city of heroes servers. The data used to store my cool fishman with a gun was probably reallocated to the .wav of the guy yelling HEEEEY! HEY!

The noblest of sacrifices. :patriot:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

croutonZA posted:

Unless this was someone's first time following an MMO did anyone ever believe they were going to deliver on that? I think part of it was that the population had already plummeted before that happened.

e: man, Blade and Soul characters sure are shiny

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 25, 2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Most of us played the china version which the us version was going to be based on. The clothing is much better and there aren't any swinging pendulums. It still has monster thighs and oily skin

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

e: man, Blade and Soul characters sure are shiny

That's actually a setting you can change in character creation. You can have normal looking skin, or you can look like you secrete baby oil.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Normal Adult Human posted:

:qq:

Even if it was true (It's not), it's not like Paragon studios was any less mismanaged than Carbine.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They accidentally made a fungame though

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Most of us played the china version which the us version was going to be based on. The clothing is much better and there aren't any swinging pendulums. It still has monster thighs and oily skin

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its hypnotic really, but just seeing it is giving me back pain.

e- If this ever gets a western release I cant wait to see the oforums complain about how they are CENSORING the clothing and breast swinging and how they are going to mod it back to the korean standard.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 26, 2015

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

croutonZA posted:

So, when Carbine stopped doing the monthly content updates thing, why wasn't that a big deal to people?

If I remember right the announcement that quarterly updates were going to be cancelled came not long after Carbine had a big round of layoffs, as well as the cancellation of the Christmas event. The quarterly content patches was a pretty ambitious plan and at that point it had been clear for a while that Carbine wasn't going to be able to make it. It wasn't a big deal because it had been obvious it wasn't going to happen for a while.

Not only that though, but every major patch before that had introduced a whole slew of new bugs. Piling even more bugs on top of preexisting ones that were not being resolved. Carbine's management had pretty clearly been unable to handle development of the game. When the end of plans for quarterly content patches was announced it was spun as an effort on Carbine's part to focus more on bug quashing. Most people still playing the game at that point were pretty ok with this because it was rapidly becoming obvious that the number of bugs being introduced to the game was rapidly becoming catastrophic.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I do hope they do a western release of B&S after wildstar gets scrapped. I enjoyed the combat but the translation patch only goes so far.

Oh, and I got into the wildstar alpha. Their original plan was much, much worse. That snowy starting zone for exiles? All the yeti around the crash site were originally hostile, and the environmental hazards did a lot more damage. You could get your rear end kicked right out of the gate unless you dodge rolled like mad (there was initially no cool down and you were expected to be doing it constantly).

Complaints of course let to "this is hardcore!!!1" and they only grudgingly changed it so you got eased in to things before the game started punishing you. Their hatred of players still shows in the raids.

I quit the alpha and didn't come back until late beta, where I told myself things would surely get better. :shepface:

The RP community is still going, but they're pretty much huddled in bunkers (their plots) loving like bunnies while outside the world is ending.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

See I've come to realize that the games where the PVE is designed to knock your dick in the dirt unless you play like a supreme coward are, y'know, lovely.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125072-livestream-hiatus-424/?p=1307428

game so bad not even devs wanna level

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

What's the story behind this post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Anoia posted:

The RP community is still going, but they're pretty much huddled in bunkers (their plots) loving like bunnies while outside the world is ending.

This is what we Spartans call a glorious death.

• Locked thread