Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Since 2E seems to be going for a more fluid, wishy-washy expression of their Integrity-analogs, they should make that a part of its thematic expression.

For Geist 2E, their Synergy should be a degree to how visible or wisp-like they are. Being on the low end of Synergy means you're continuously ignored by society, like as mentioned as a curse in legitimate vodoun practices that Geist so painfully wants to be associated with. Getting close to unplayable makes you invisible and ghost-like, and true unplayability makes you a ghost without the ability to interact with the world. Make having extra Synergy make you the magnetic teenaged lone-wolf sex god that OPP demands that every splat become and you're golden.

Gerund fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
New Geist Threshold: The Spent

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

Metis makes me want to go back in time and scream "DON'T loving DO THAT" into MRH's ear while he's asleep.
Metis is inextricably linked to swap.avi in my mind and is thus The Worst Thing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

Metis is inextricably linked to swap.avi in my mind and is thus The Worst Thing.

How did that happen?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kavak posted:

How did that happen?

Metis was the username of the poster who commissioned swap.avi, over the protests of virtually everybody.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Gerund posted:

Since 2E seems to be going for a more fluid, wishy-washy expression of their Integrity-analogs, they should make that a part of its thematic expression.

For Geist 2E, their Synergy should be a degree to how visible or wisp-like they are. Being on the low end of Synergy means you're continuously ignored by society, like as mentioned as a curse in legitimate vodoun practices that Geist so painfully wants to be associated with. Getting close to unplayable makes you invisible and ghost-like, and true unplayability makes you a ghost without the ability to interact with the world. Make having extra Synergy make you the magnetic teenaged lone-wolf sex god that OPP demands that every splat become and you're golden.

That's basically how I'd do it - "mute wisp of vapor" would be a Geist's equivalent of Vampire's "snarling draugr", except it's a bit easier/faster to fall down and to bounce back.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Mors Rattus posted:

Chiminage is like two steps above Vitae, Celerity and Auspex, by rights of having extra syllables, sounding super goofy even in comparison and being equally well-served by the term 'sacrifice' which is really quite a nice little word.

(Metis is about on par with Chiminage though, perhaps worse. Don't use Metis.)

Chiminage is a real English word with connotations that work better than "sacrifice" in WtA, since passage by Moon Bridge is a big part of the game and chiminage means "rural road toll."

Metis is the name of a real ethnic group in my country and linking its meaning (people of European-Aboriginal ancestry, generally) to a fictional group that experiences deformity and is forbidden to exist by tradition creates all sorts of offensive connotations.

The former is a bit of flavour that effectively templates/keywords what it stands for. The latter should be changed, period. I love WtA, but I'm not sure I can properly convey how offensive the use of this word in the game is, at least in much of Canada. I am not exaggerating to say it's as bad as anything in Gypsies, and might even be worse.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, I was being too soft on Metis. It is far worse than Chiminage. (Don't use Metis.)

Chiminage should totally have been abandoned in the jump to nWoD, though. It isn't appropriate any more, however fitting it might have been for WtA.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 24, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Metis always seemed like a Riel bad choice of word for the concept.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
In french "métis" is a word used for any person with parents of two different races., with "métissage" being oftne used as way to talk about the merging of cultures. This makes the use of the term in WtA also completely stupid as well as racist against the canadian Metis.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ferrinus posted:

That's basically how I'd do it - "mute wisp of vapor" would be a Geist's equivalent of Vampire's "snarling draugr", except it's a bit easier/faster to fall down and to bounce back.

remember when you had a five-page-long argument with attorneyatfunk about this exact subject

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Ferrinus is a Beast who feeds on internet slapfights.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Squizzle posted:

Ferrinus is a Beast who feeds on internet slapfights.

And how many poor fools in this forum have been drawn to be a hero, charging into the thread bragging that nobody rolls dice like Gaston?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Please don't insult me by suggesting that I care about the feelings my posts inspire in others.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 24, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

PleasingFungus posted:

remember when you had a five-page-long argument with attorneyatfunk about this exact subject

good times

Ferrinus posted:

Please don't insult me by suggesting that I care about the feelings my posts inspire in others.

good times

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think analogizing you to a Beast implies anything about your motives or personality at all, mysteriously.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

MonsieurChoc posted:

In french "métis" is a word used for any person with parents of two different races., with "métissage" being oftne used as way to talk about the merging of cultures. This makes the use of the term in WtA also completely stupid as well as racist against the canadian Metis.

I had no idea this was a thing at all, I always figured it was taken from the Greek mythology figure, although that makes no sense really and now I'm sort of appalled.

Should have just gone all-in and called them Mulatto.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PleasingFungus posted:

Remember when he ran Mage

Me neither

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Literally The Worst posted:

Remember when he ran Mage

Me neither

:thurman:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Last Saturday...?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ferrinus posted:

Last Saturday...?

"The Mage game ferrinus doesn't run" is the only joke I still remember from WDDP and I think of it every time I read this thread

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Hey, so I just noticed in the Beast leak that this book introduces D&D-style feat chains with some of the core merits. Like there's Direction Sense, then you can buy Advanced and Epic Direction Sense on top of that. That's...interesting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Someone mentioned those before, yeah. Do they have Prereq: Beast or are they just general additions to the game?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

Someone mentioned those before, yeah. Do they have Prereq: Beast or are they just general additions to the game?

I was going to say it seems like some are Beast-Only and some aren't, but nope, it looks like most of them require you to be a Beast. Like you can't have advanced Fame or Advanced Resources unless you're a Beast for...some reason.

Also again; Beasts have a merit that lets them raise one of their Attributes to 6 if they pay for it and it only costs 1 dot.

Also I say this while not being 100% Certain on NWoD 'dot value' but all these fighting styles seem to have kind of absurd requirements for them.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Remove non-resource merits from the game imo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tezzor posted:

Remove non-resource merits from the game imo

Screw that, Medium for everybody. The Shroud is all but down, go hog wild!

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, I was being too soft on Metis. It is far worse than Chiminage. (Don't use Metis.)

Chiminage should totally have been abandoned in the jump to nWoD, though. It isn't appropriate any more, however fitting it might have been for WtA.

Chiminage has been dropped in Forsaken second ed.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Dave Brookshaw posted:

:toot:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dave Brookshaw posted:

And we're all better for it.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Can I say that I for one dislike the fact that powers are being put in Merit slots? You only get 10 of them and I always feel like you need to pour all ten into social merits to get anything resembling a useful social network. Every fighting style, Eidetic memory and 5 spent on the power stat makes you more of a boring loner. Now that there are legit templated powers in the merit slots, the competition for those dots is even more fierce. Hell, make it a Nightmare or Atavism that if you buy it "upgrades" your Resources into HYPER RESOURCES or whatever. I don't care. Just don't make me spend even more time agonising over my merits.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

But if we can't buy feats that let us take a penalty to accuracy for a proportionate bonus to damage the game just won't feel like D&D. Wait-

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

But if we can't buy feats that let us take a penalty to accuracy for a proportionate bonus to damage the game just won't feel like D&D. Wait-

are you saying that knowing that there's a power like that in the book or was that a happy coincidence?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I knew it in my heart. But if Beast actually has multiple upgrades and extensions for the nearly 100% worthless "lose 3 dice, gain one damage" fighting style merit from the 2E corebook I'll be overjoyed.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

I knew it in my heart. But if Beast actually has multiple upgrades and extensions for the nearly 100% worthless "lose 3 dice, gain one damage" fighting style merit from the 2E corebook I'll be overjoyed.

You monster.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I'm kind of at the point where I'm disregarding a lot of poo poo from 2e everything.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I wasn't aware that 2e was out. drat I'm slow.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

So what is that, lose an expected 0.9 successes to gain 1.0 damage? Who thought that was worth merit points, or even character sheet space?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Emy posted:

So what is that, lose an expected 0.9 successes to gain 1.0 damage? Who thought that was worth merit points, or even character sheet space?

Because of 10-again, you actually lose an expected 1.0 successes. Unless something's making your pool qualitatively worse on a die-for-die basis (you've lost 10-again, say, or are the victim of All Your Teeth Are Falling Out) it's just straight up a trade-down due to the fact that you gain no average damage but slightly increase your miss chance. But, hey, the more weird dice tricks or roll-independent attack filters we get, the more it's retroactively justified.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mexcillent posted:

I'm kind of at the point where I'm disregarding a lot of poo poo from 2e everything.

I like most of the reworked Requiem disciplines, with the notable exception of the Coils of the Dragon. I don't really like their new thing, althoguh it doesn't seem particularly bad mechanically.

God-Machine, Blood & Smoke and Demon are mostly good, with a few weird stuff like what gives Beats not working. It's after that that things start getting really... wonky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I like most of the reworked Requiem disciplines, with the notable exception of the Coils of the Dragon.
Don't forget illusion magic Nightmare!