Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

is there a mysql gui for osx that is a) decent and b) lets me like, bookmark a bunch of tables because we have like 960 tables in our DB and i'm only interested in about 80 of them and having to scroll between them all the time is annoying

i know the answer is 'get good at a command line sql tool' but i'm not a database developer and i mostly just need access to the schema quickly and easily

no one uses command line sql tools. idk if they make sqlyog for Linux but that's the best MySQL gui. really you should just install windows and use mssql.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

no one uses command line sql tools.
No one should but lots of people i work with use putty + sqlplus exclusively

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that's disgusting

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

no one uses command line sql tools. idk if they make sqlyog for Linux but that's the best MySQL gui. really you should just install windows and use mssql.

a lot of people here seem to which is confusing to me because the number 1 thing i want to be able to do with a sql tool is display schema in a way that makes it easy for me to visually understand the schema and relationship between tables, and the sql command line is basically completely useless for that from what i've seen. like it cant even format columns nicely. wtf. I can see how someone who is a database engineer might not really care about that but as a developer it's definitely all i care about

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
that assumes they have all the key relationships setup correctly which if they're using MySQL idk how likely that is.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
how can there really not be any good graphical tools for sql? it's like the one thing every program uses

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
during bank internship my days were largely filled with using isql on the command line

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

how can there really not be any good graphical tools for sql? it's like the one thing every program uses

there are, just not for your distro.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
iirc isn't there one called sequel or w/e

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
i have spent the past year being paid to write tens of thousands of lines of uncommented, untested python. i am the terrible programmer

(98% of it is thrown away and i comment and test the 2% that escapes)

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
welcome back to the fold

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

my jet brains ide includes sql ui stuff in it thats good enough for me plus i can use it for coding other things and languages.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jet brains more like hair brains

being able to use the table filter thing with a regex would be enough. that's all i need and apparently neither sql workbench or sequel pro can handle this. sequel pro even forces you to enter the database name lmao

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
what really constitutes a "good graphical" tool for SQL though

what is the best hypothetical tool you can describe

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

fun machine learning fact: algorithms that are designed to find a signal in noise are inherently robust vs certain kinds of bugs. instead of failing outright, they will be subtly wrong for months in production

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

i dont know but sequel pro is open source so i'm forking this poo poo

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
i want something that is like max/msp except for databases

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
dbeaver?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Valeyard posted:

during bank internship my days were largely filled with using isql on the command line

This is literally how i first learned sql because nobody could figure out if we needed a license for a proper management tool. Oh except i was getting paid.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

coffeetable posted:

fun machine learning fact: algorithms that are designed to find a signal in noise are inherently robust vs certain kinds of bugs. instead of failing outright, they will be subtly wrong for months in production

:allears:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

oh my god what is this

this lets me do what i want. but is it worth it??

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2015

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

coffeetable posted:

wb, i looked at the mean salary for f# devs in London and now i'm working ni f#

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
aren't all the fp jobs at financial firms?

speaking of which i've spent a shameful amount of time janitoring my emacs/haskell/haskell-mode/etc. setup today.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oh my god what is this

this lets me do what i want. but is it worth it??

it's free and needs suiting imo

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the lesson i've learned today is to just not try to upgrade cabal or ghc at all

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

visio had a great database visualization tool that would import from anything that you have an odbc adapter for. ugly catch: it crashed on big schemas

so basically i want that, without the crashing

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

MononcQc posted:

bits of this keynote might be relevant to people calling themselves terrible in here and believing it 100%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIJdFxYlEKE

I was in the audience for this. It's pretty loving lovely that a white man repackaged the work that marginalized people have been doing and claimed it as his own. He's part of the problem in a big way but he still gets standing ovations because this industry is a toxic pit.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
if you're literally only using MySQL, sequel pro is a good app

but then you're using only mysql

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
i wonder how many other articles by shanley will get standing loving ovations instead of rape threats when they come from a man

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have a programming question. I'm currently torturing myself doing 6502 assembly for a dinky Nintendo project. Right now I'm trying to draw 9 lines of text to the screen. Because of CPU limitations, I need to draw one line of text per frame. This means that I'm doing a lot of this garbage:

code:
DrawPayouts:
	LDA payoutLinesDrawn ;this is incremented before we get here
	CMP #1
	BEQ DrawPayouts1
	CMP #2
	BEQ DrawPayouts2
	CMP #3
	BEQ DrawPayouts3
	CMP #4
	BEQ DrawPayouts4
	CMP #5
	BEQ DrawPayouts5
	CMP #6
	BEQ DrawPayouts6
	CMP #7
	BEQ DrawPayouts7
	CMP #8
	BEQ DrawPayouts8
	CMP #9
	BEQ DrawPayouts9

JMP LoopForever
And now I have nine of these blocks that load two 16-bit pointers into four memory addresses:

code:
DrawPayouts1:
	LDA #$20 ;different value for each of the nine blocks
	STA textDestinationHigh
	LDA #$20 ;different value for each of the nine blocks
	STA textDestinationLow
	LDA #HIGH(textPayoutsRoyalFlush) ;different value for each of the nine blocks
	STA textPointerHigh
	LDA #LOW(textPayoutsRoyalFlush) ;different value for each of the nine blocks
	STA textPointerLow
	JSR DrawString
	JMP LoopForever
Which means the branches at the top are out of range of the last few blocks. I'm pretty sure this isn't the ideal way of doing this. I can't do a JSR off of a compare without spaghetti short jumps to an intermediary subroutine. How should I be doing this?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Luigi Thirty posted:

Which means the branches at the top are out of range of the last few blocks. I'm pretty sure this isn't the ideal way of doing this. I can't do a JSR off of a compare without spaghetti short jumps to an intermediary subroutine. How should I be doing this?

The easy way of doing a conditional jump to an address you can only reach by an absolute jump is to just do a tiny branch for the jump:

code:
	BNE CarryOn
	JMP WhereYouWantToGo
CarryOn:
There might be a more convenient way to specify it in your assembler.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 26, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a programming question. I'm currently torturing myself doing 6502 assembly for a dinky Nintendo project. Right now I'm trying to draw 9 lines of text to the screen. Because of CPU limitations, I need to draw one line of text per frame. This means that I'm doing a lot of this garbage:

Back in the day this is the kind of thing you might do with self-modifying code, partly due to code size and partly because people considered that sort of thing perfectly OK.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

eschaton posted:

Back in the day this is the kind of thing you might do with self-modifying code, partly due to code size and partly because people considered that sort of thing perfectly OK.

not sure how viable that is because code is typically stored in ROM in NES games and also because of the system's 2KB RAM

however if you don't need the memory and/or you're using a mapper that adds PRG RAM it isn't so bad

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also you're probably better off using a computed jump into a jump table (or even directly to the relevant code if you're feeling sufficiently Real Programmer) rather than a big ladder of compares and branches

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BattleMaster posted:

not sure how viable that is because code is typically stored in ROM in NES games and also because of the system's 2KB RAM

however if you don't need the memory and/or you're using a mapper that adds PRG RAM it isn't so bad

Yeah, I was thinking more about the Apple II than the NES (or the 2600 before it).

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

gonadic io posted:

wb, i looked at the mean salary for f# devs in London and now i'm working ni f#
not just london

http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015#work-complang

second table

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

also everyone should read that survey

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

that's disgusting

:agreed: but that's old people for you i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Our product doesn't!

It uses specially formatted spreadsheets instead.

• Locked thread