Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rydash
Dec 23, 2011

You got a real problem in here, gonna cost ya extra.

Schrodingers cat posted:

Wait what? I thought some modders said it was impossible to set it to 0$ and there was a minimum of 0.5$ or something.

I think this is referencing an upcoming change.

Doesn't do much about the other systemic problems, but I guess it's a step in a useful direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It doesn't solve any of the fundamental issues of this and Gabe is obviously hilariously out of touch with reality.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol :jerkbag:

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh.... I guess it helps it look more like a donation button :barf:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sounds good to me

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Yeah, I'm cool with a PWYW section that allows me to enter $0 if I'm not confident it will be good. I hope it also allows me to up the price I pay after the fact if I DO enjoy it.

Next up, give more money to modders.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ETPC posted:

Yeah, I'm cool with a PWYW section that allows me to enter $0 if I'm not confident it will be good. I hope it also allows me to up the price I pay after the fact if I DO enjoy it.

Next up, give more money to modders.

This is superior to the old system of having donate buttons because reasons

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

GunnerJ posted:

This is where I started to realize he was kind of unhinged about this. The other super dumb thing he said was that the fan over-reaction was going to make Bethesda shy away from releasing mod tools for their games in the future because the modding community made itself look crazy and they will see it's not in their interest to do so, like hahaha yes the makers of games where modding is a selling point who view mods as a source of revenue will not release modding tools at all because the fan anger isn't worth it, a whole company operating on the special snowflake artiste modder script, right.

I tried to listen to the vid you linked but after he was done shaming people for whatever dramatics were going on on Nexus he started making whiny child noises about how you could still find free mods and I turned it off because yikes.

Police Automaton posted:

I assume either a beta tester (if they have any?) or even a Team member who doesn't approve leaked it.

You know, in a way this is also great. I always detested how modding went from being a small hobby for people interested in games and game design and people "just screwing around with the engine" to these humongous and partially ridiculous mod projects as something to enlarge your e-peen and have that tiny little chance to make it big and work for one of the big studios. The Nexus amplified that lovely stuff x1000 by doing stuff like banning people who said negative things and that's why it is such a poo poo community. The quality of the Mods didn't really objectively improve because of that attitude either, it just made people who also had the capabilities/time not bother because they didn't want to deal with all that poo poo and leave everything to these hyperspergs like arthmoor. Now there are paid mods and they split the community and the worst of the worst off. Maybe we'll see more of that former modding again where people just do it out of fun. As long as future games let you even do that, that is.

I'd gladly watch the Workshop fill up with endless $1.99 Glass Sword re-skins if I wasn't so convinced that this is heading toward FO4 having mod paywall integration that will be a pain in the rear end to circumvent.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Eric the Mauve posted:

actually i was always in favor of extremely visible donate buttons from minute one but keep going by all means

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ETPC posted:

This is what I'd prefer, I use plenty of mods that are awesome and I'd support, but there's no way I'm throwing monetary support behind a mod BEFORE finding out it's terrible or doesn't work with the other mods.

One such mod I tried recently was Corpse Preparation, since I liked the idea of creating a skeleton army :v:. Unfortunately, doing pretty much ANYTHING passes time by twelve hours, which SERIOUSLY messes up your character when you've got Realistic Needs and Diseases installed. I'm sure it's a great mod but it sure as hell doesn't work with my setup, and I'd hate to spend five bucks to find that out.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ETPC posted:

actually i was always in favor of extremely visible donate buttons from minute one but keep going by all means

I'm all for donate buttons but against using the Workshop to manage my mods because it is clunky and terrible.

Also, HD genitalia mods aren't available on Workshop so what is the point?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, I'm all in for Pay What You Want a la Humble Bundle, but it still needs fixing. Like, give the mod maker more than 25% of the share.

It still won't solve the whole legal mess behind sharing work and assets, but at least we're getting the option to essentially donate to them.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Is Immersive Animations still the best mod so Lydia or Uthgerd won't run like they've dropped a load in their pants?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I tried to listen to the vid you linked but after he was done shaming people for whatever dramatics were going on on Nexus he started making whiny child noises about how you could still find free mods and I turned it off because yikes.

I don't blame you even a little.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Eric the Mauve posted:

Donate buttons are easy to ignore. This is making people affirm that they want to pay zero money for the thing they are downloading, while making paying some non-zero sum of money very easy. If you make donating as easy as not donating you'll have way more donations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Scyantific posted:

Yeah, I'm all in for Pay What You Want a la Humble Bundle, but it still needs fixing. Like, give the mod maker more than 25% of the share.

why

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Republicans posted:

Donate buttons are easy to ignore. This is making people affirm that they want to pay zero money for the thing they are downloading, while making paying some non-zero sum of money very easy. If you make donating as easy as not donating you'll have way more donations.

if you do pay the optional fee and the mod turns out garbage you can at least get a refund in gabe newell funny money

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

trickle down modnomics

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Because now Bethesda and Valve get a 75% cut for all the hard work they didn't do.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Because now Bethesda and Valve get a 75% cut for all the hard work they didn't do.

And possibly up to $400 minimum for all the hard work CD Projekt did when someone uploads a mod with copyrighted content.

I'd like to see Valve's excuse when they're sued by EA for earning money off their content. They'd probably also sue the mod maker, but that really is all it would take.

One stealth Mickey Mouse mod, disguised as an armor mod, and the whole thing might come down.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

ninjahedgehog posted:

Except build and maintain the tools and platform you use to create and sell your mods.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bel Monte posted:

And possibly up to $400 minimum for all the hard work CD Projekt did when someone uploads a mod with copyrighted content.

I'd like to see Valve's excuse when they're sued by EA for earning money off their content. They'd probably also sue the mod maker, but that really is all it would take.

One stealth Mickey Mouse mod, disguised as an armor mod, and the whole thing might come down.

Don't even need that. Ubisoft can jump in the moment one of those Assassin's Creed armor mods makes the jump to paid-only.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

quote:

Funny, the community successfully steered modding work in Elder Scrolls for about ten loving years with nothing but goodwill and thanks, before you guys got involved.
:boom:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

this event has only really cemented in my the idea that there is a large portion of elder scrolls fans that are broken as people

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

this event has only really cemented in my the idea that there is a large portion of elder scrolls fans that are broken as people

Gabe broke my heart. My ability to feel human.
It's all gone, all is lost. The only thing left is a burning cinder of hatred. That's what gaming did to me, and that's what it will do to you.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

If there was any doubt in your mind idk what to tell you

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Only took me one mmoxreview video to grasp that.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Skyrim Modding/Troubleshooting: It's about ethics in Modding

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Has there ever been any official word from Bethesda or any legal precedent as to who actually owns mods? I've read a few things about possible coverage as 'derivative works' and the publisher's claiming ownership and such, but nothing solid about where it definitely stands from a legal standpoint.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

I like this one.

quote:

This is literally a community you do no gently caress with. A silent behemoth, happy in its cave, resting on its pile of treasure.

Valve just woke it up.

Even people not deeply ingrained in the community are looking from the outside and saying "How dare you?"

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

graynull posted:

Has there ever been any official word from Bethesda or any legal precedent as to who actually owns mods? I've read a few things about possible coverage as 'derivative works' and the publisher's claiming ownership and such, but nothing solid about where it definitely stands from a legal standpoint.

Wasn't there a huge fuzz (back when the creation kit for Skyrim came out) that the EULA of it basically pointed out that Bethesda owns all derivative works? I have something like that in my memory. Which is also interesting because it is quite possible to make mods without the kit. (but I guess, impossible to upload them to the Workshop that way, nice thinking Bethesda)

You people should just all play Daggerfall.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
^Mods created without the Creation Kit are also significantly more likely to screw your game up.

Im_Special posted:

I like this one.
It's funny that he thinks the majority reaction is "how dare you" instead of 'what the gently caress are you thinking!?'

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Republicans posted:

Except build and maintain the tools and platform you use to create and sell your mods.

they didn't make skse or mo/nmm, modding is kinda worthless without those

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about modding culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in an actual job where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in the Nexus, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Fallout 4 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve , publicly apologize and cancel paid mods or you can kiss your business goodbye.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Is this bad or good or what? It doesn't sound bad if they allow $0 mods but I don't trust these lovely companies and giving them control over anything, I could easily see mod use in future games being behind paywalls and stuff like that

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

megalodong posted:

I don't know how much the rest of you know about modding culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in an actual job where you can become successful by being an rear end in a top hat. If you screw someone over in the Nexus, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Fallout 4 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve , publicly apologize and cancel paid mods or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Please source your quotes

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Republicans posted:

The Real Foogla posted:

they didn't make skse or mo/nmm, modding is kinda worthless without those

Yeah sorry Bethesda got their cut, if they want a revenue stream rather than a one-time fee then they should change how they sell their games. Oh well I guess Zenimax tried that with ESO and this must be their backup plan :v:
Bethesda hasn't updated Skyrim for the last (almost) two years, has done no patching, done zero development on tools to make it easier/better and have had no hand in creating the actual tools people use right now. Valve hasn't improved the Workshop either because it is still an obtuse circa 1999 UI slow garbage pail of a mess.

The people being all WWII about it are dumb as gently caress yeah, but Valve is also pretty dumb about the whole thing too because laffo the mod workshop for Skyrim and now you have to pay to use it :laffo:

tekz posted:

Is this bad or good or what? It doesn't sound bad if they allow $0 mods but I don't trust these lovely companies and giving them control over anything, I could easily see mod use in future games being behind paywalls and stuff like that

Well right now if you put a mod in the sell section your minimum is 50 cents. You can't 'sell' a mod for $0 at the moment. Have you modded Skyrim before? It's exactly the same but now some content is behind a paywall. It's the same conflicts, save corruption, zero customer support and all the warts that come with 'doing' modded Skyrim. There isn't any value added for the end user, all you get is a 'gee support your favorite modder!' so good luck.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
People who can't see why this is hilariously bad are pretty dumb.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

megalodong posted:

source your quotes

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People who can't see why this is hilariously bad are pretty dumb.

Nah those of us who say "This is dumb and bad" are actually just entitled gamers who want everything for free.

• Locked thread