Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
7214-9190-1275 Is this still correct?

Going for a short walk then I'll come in for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Gandalf21 posted:

Agreed, Excitebike seems to be the most improved course in 200cc.

Depending on the course layout, you can boost over one of the ramps and launch yourself over like a quarter of the track. At least. I also (accidentally) discovered that you can launch yourself over some of the hair pin turns in Big Blue at 200cc.

I'm so bad at 200cc that I almost feel like I should pay someone for Mario Kart lessons. I constantly get my poo poo stomped in online. What is it I don't know that everyone else does?

sayonara chainsaw
Sep 27, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

0:12 and 0:42...

you monster, how could you do that to another isabelle

0:15 too...

There can only be one Isabelle.
Also, at 0:35, the other Isabelle falls off but that wasn't recorded.

sayonara chainsaw fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 26, 2015

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bean posted:

Depending on the course layout, you can boost over one of the ramps and launch yourself over like a quarter of the track. At least. I also (accidentally) discovered that you can launch yourself over some of the hair pin turns in Big Blue at 200cc.

I'm so bad at 200cc that I almost feel like I should pay someone for Mario Kart lessons. I constantly get my poo poo stomped in online. What is it I don't know that everyone else does?

Use y for acceleration instead of a, and mush tap B to brake and get more control over turns without losing drift boost.

Start drifting/braking earlier than you'd think coming up on a turn (fight it to keep going mostly straight) then turn hard into it while applying B as necessary and you can ride the edges of a turn just as easily as in 150.

Also know what's coming up. Some turns you don't really want to follow, but instead just do a quick drift correction so that you're facing the right way as you come out of it and can start on the next curve. This is crucial for yoshi's circuit, neo bowser, rainbow road 8 etc.

200cc is also fast enough you can cut or hop over small patches of grass/dirt, without losing speed which is good if it gets you a better line.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 26, 2015

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I wonder why they added the little sad sound when you get hit by an item? It's kinda hard to miss when you spin out, roll, explode, or get covered in splooge. An odd thing to add in version 4.0.

Bean posted:

The people who are good at the game in general seem to do the best in 200cc as well, I don't think there's a special secret. Just some general ideas like use the brakes, maybe switch to a loadout with higher acceleration and traction, and reconsider your lines in tracks that you know well from slower speeds.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I need to re-learn all the tracks, some are just kicking my rear end even when I try to slow down.

I mostly enjoy how everything is viable, Biddy Buggy, Leaf Tires and a baby character will give you one bar of speed and you can trounce people with that one bar, I have a feeling speed is entirely maxed out in 200c even if it doesn't show it.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008
My favorite thing about 200cc is flying over the finish line and beating out the guy on the ground by milliseconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvSkrAK_r6w

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hammond Edgar posted:

My favorite thing about 200cc is flying over the finish line and beating out the guy on the ground by milliseconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvSkrAK_r6w

Apologize to Liam (blue shyguy), he was in first about 10 feet from the end when he was cruelly stuck down by both a red shell *cough* and a blue shell

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Needs more players.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I killed Mr Resetti. He was just doing his job.

Hammond Edgar
Apr 24, 2008

Mazerunner posted:

Apologize to Liam (blue shyguy), he was in first about 10 feet from the end when he was cruelly stuck down by both a red shell *cough* and a blue shell

Lol, I figured something hit him, but didn't know it was that bad.
Sorry shyguy, but at least ya still got 4th. That's still a win by OG mario kart rules :v:

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I just did both new Grand Prix on 50cc to three star them, dear gently caress was that slow. Went straight to 200cc and it felt like going into warp drive.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Hammond Edgar posted:

Lol, I figured something hit him, but didn't know it was that bad.
Sorry shyguy, but at least ya still got 4th. That's still a win by OG mario kart rules :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4UvA8UbtWM

:laugh:

missing me using a piranha plant to fly over the last turn

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
the 4-hour time span of people actully racing in the tourney bothers me

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Gandalf21 posted:

Agreed, Excitebike seems to be the most improved course in 200cc.

Ice ice outpost is a lot more fun too. I thought it was kinda bland at 150cc but 200cc makes it a lot better.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i inside drift all the time; am i a heathen? why?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm seeing a weird thing online where no one is picking Big Blue. I was in a full room and 11 people picked Ribbon Road over Big Blue??? It just happened again except people picked Donut Plains + Excite Bike

I had been in the rooms for a long time so it's not like we had just played it or anything. People are weird

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm seeing a weird thing online where no one is picking Big Blue. I was in a full room and 11 people picked Ribbon Road over Big Blue??? It just happened again except people picked Donut Plains + Excite Bike

I had been in the rooms for a long time so it's not like we had just played it or anything. People are weird

Ribbon Road is the better track :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Macaluso posted:

Ribbon Road is the better track :colbert:

False.

I could see people picking Excite Bike over anything else, though. It's probably the best 200cc track because it's transformed into a Stunt Show Deathmatch.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ernie Muppari posted:

that's so loving weird

like, why not just make it completely random then?

This is how they both a) let you have some agency in choosing a track if you absolutely hate some tracks and b) stop the online from being Rainbow Road (or whatever track is the flavor of the month) all the time. If you had played 7 online you would know that usually about half the people in the room would vote for Wuhu Mountain every single time because it had a skip glitch. Eventually this was useless as everyone knew the glitch anyway so it didn't gain you anything but man did it not stop people from picking that goddamn track.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It also slightly shortens the time between races by giving people less options to search through.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i wish there were more amiibo costumes in this game. Especially King DeDeDe and Ike, because I have those ones.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Bown posted:

It's a love it or hate it thing. The physics of drifting on inside drift sport bikes is totally different so if you're used to outside drift it just feels awkward and counter intuitive. I learned how to play on an inside drift bike though so outside drift feels weird and wrong to me. Comet 4 lyfe.

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 26, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Mii voices are the worst so I would never play as them but the Kirby/Pac Man racing suits are cool

also because I would be a fool to think I'm a more interesting character choice than toad or wario

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

How do I remap controls on this game? So I can put brake on L.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Bowser amiibo suit is metal as gently caress.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally downloading the DLC. This Sunday will be Mario Kart Day. I am most psyched.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Holy crap 200cc is fast. Like F-Zero levels of fast. :staredog:

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i am an inside drifter and the above videos posted attest to how much me and my people are unfairly persecuted

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

How do I remap controls on this game? So I can put brake on L.

You can't. But you can use Y instead of A for more convenient thumb placement.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bown posted:

You watched too much Initial D.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow Ribbon Road is maybe my favorite Mario Kart track ever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nnby43Q8sG1tfn7xq.mp4#_=_

Edit: Guy who did HURL Warriors did a thing

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 26, 2015

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

I see the Villagers still have their "I'MA CUT YOU WITH MAH AXE!" stare.

Also, setz makes the most hilarious stuff. :allears:

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Today I learned that three green shells won't protect you from landing on red shells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5Upvm89O8

I hope you all realise you made Isabelle one sad puppy :colbert: Especially you, bug-faced megaman

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Electrophotonic posted:

Today I learned that three green shells won't protect you from landing on red shells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5Upvm89O8

I hope you all realise you made Isabelle one sad puppy :colbert: Especially you, bug-faced megaman

That would be me.

I saved that same replay, because that finish was bonkers. After I hit you, I thought for sure I had first.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

One cool tip for 200cc a lot of people overlook/don't realise - holding Y/A while midair still gives you forward momentum. If you feel you're gonna overshoot or wanna slow down before landing into an awkward spot, release the gas and you'll start to drop like a stone.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, after playing 200cc for a while I'm really getting the hang of it and it owns a lot. Six three-star gold trophies down, six more to go! :toot:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This game is fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I haven't even tried it but I guess Donut Plains 200cc is basically a nightmare

• Locked thread