Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well yeah the photo shops can't happen until the season actually happens and there are photos. Give it time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

tardwrangler posted:

Is there any chance Everest has been pushed up just high enough to make it the new highest summit and invalidate all previous summits?

It's already getting a quarter of a inch higher every year. Within the lifetime of people that post here, its altitude in feet will go up.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You'll notice that this image is a funny joke, and not 50 pages of cheerless hectoring and "ironically" wishing death on vacationers

:agreed:. most gbs goons are very unnormal and hosed up, well every goon is but especially gbs goons. unless they're making a funny, then they'd be normal but until then they're just hosed in the head and really unfunny.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
wait so, are limited helicopter resources being used to transport rich thrill seekers off a mountain they could climb off of while thousands of nepalese men, women and children, the sick and old, are in dire need of emergency supplies?

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

it's great that you think everybody in this thread is a terrible person.

now please stop posting in it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Simstim posted:

wait so, are limited helicopter resources being used to transport rich thrill seekers off a mountain they could climb off of while thousands of nepalese men, women and children, the sick and old, are in dire need of emergency supplies?

Helicopters are bringing some ropes and ice picks to those on Camp I so they can find a way down. They're also going to bring the injured from Base Camp to hospitals.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/earthquake-katmandu-nepal-updates/helicopters-land-at-everest-to-rescue-injured/

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Simstim posted:

Do you not get how being rich works?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Xaris posted:

:agreed:. most gbs goons are very unnormal and hosed up, well every goon is but especially gbs goons. unless they're making a funny, then they'd be normal but until then they're just hosed in the head and really unfunny.

goons goons goon goon goon goons goons goony goon goons

but I am not a goon because

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

imo base camp should build a town hall in the base camp with all the frozen bodies

very sturdy + efficient

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

it's great that you think everybody in this thread is a terrible person.

now please stop posting in it.

Yeah, but really this thread is for mocking people who should not be there and die. Which is good and fine. I think the thing we should now focus on how much money and effort is put into rescuing these retards compared to the per head dollar amount spent on rescuing and repairing things for your average Nepalese citizen. I'm interested in how much their Chinese leaders throw in.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
To play devil's advocate this dumb mountain brings in a lot of tourist dollars so it's smart of them to throw them a line up on that mountain to maintain their economy. It'd be a PR disaster to just stand up all of your customers on a mountain because you have a loving country to save or some bullshit.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Xaris posted:

Go read the comments section on news articles about the earthquake, there are a lot more awful people out there than just goons

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Veskit posted:

To play devil's advocate

dont........

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

theflyingexecutive posted:

goons goons goon goon goon goons goons goony goon goons

but I am not a goon because

sorry, but as a healthy normal alpha, i need to obsessively point out how loving brokebrained sadbrain unnormal all goons are because that is what we normal people do. a normal behavior

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

Minrad posted:

it's more an issue of surviving hypothermia/dehydration

eventually you run out of gas for your stove and you're forced to eat snow til you die, probably

Or dysentery if you do melt snow for drinking water??? http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/03/03/decades-of-human-waste-have-made-mount-everest-a-fecal-time-bomb/

Honestly, with the state of the mountain, it's not hard to imagine some ancient mountain god just rising up to say "gently caress it all"

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Nien posted:

Yeah, but really this thread is for mocking people who should not be there and die. Which is good and fine. I think the thing we should now focus on how much money and effort is put into rescuing these retards compared to the per head dollar amount spent on rescuing and repairing things for your average Nepalese citizen. I'm interested in how much their Chinese leaders throw in.

Nepal is its own country. You're thinking of Tibet.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i hope more people die, and do so painfully and alone

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
This is the ummm... ulilalilia of mountains lol.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

CommunistPancake posted:

Nepal is its own country. You're thinking of Tibet.

No. I'm thinking of Nepal. Which sits between India and China. Which pretends it can be independent.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i feel really bad for the sherpas and their families

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

why are these helicopters being used in a place where they're actually useful???

they should be hovering uselessly over the destroyed urban ruins of kathmandu to show just how much we care!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PleasureKevin posted:

i feel really bad for the sherpas and their families

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
People dying, to me, is cool if they are the right kind.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
I don't know how to cook, I live on my own, and I've come up with every excuse in the book to justify my toxic behavior for the better part of my adult life. I've made self deprecating "fat guy" jokes for as long as I can remember but have started hearing similar comments from my colleagues at work, my family, and friends over the last few weeks.

Today it hit home that, joking aside, I AM the fat guy and it's NOT cute. My insides are pickled, I run a myriad of health risks that I don't even know exist, and am absolutely certain that I'll suffer some sort of complication if I don't make an effort to change my life.

I can't really cook but I can learn. I don't know what I'm doing but I'm prepared to pick it up as I go. I'm pretty ashamed of my shape and it's caused me to change from an otherwise fun extrovert to a deeply private introvert over the span of a decade. I hate summer because I can't cover up my chest and belly but winter forces me to layer and look like a whale.

Succinctly, I want my life back.

The fat jokes are over.

Wish me luck, SomethingAwful.com

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I AM BRAWW posted:

I don't know how to cook, I live on my own, and I've come up with every excuse in the book to justify my toxic behavior for the better part of my adult life. I've made self deprecating "fat guy" jokes for as long as I can remember but have started hearing similar comments from my colleagues at work, my family, and friends over the last few weeks.

Today it hit home that, joking aside, I AM the fat guy and it's NOT cute. My insides are pickled, I run a myriad of health risks that I don't even know exist, and am absolutely certain that I'll suffer some sort of complication if I don't make an effort to change my life.

I can't really cook but I can learn. I don't know what I'm doing but I'm prepared to pick it up as I go. I'm pretty ashamed of my shape and it's caused me to change from an otherwise fun extrovert to a deeply private introvert over the span of a decade. I hate summer because I can't cover up my chest and belly but winter forces me to layer and look like a whale.

The fat jokes are over.

good luck fellow goon

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

what thread is this again

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the eat the rich thread.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Feminition posted:

what thread is this again

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

I AM BRAWW posted:

The fat jokes are over.

Mod challenge?

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Another aftershock. This one between a 6.7 and 7.2.

Here's a couple pictures of rich white people trying to escape the mountain by helicopter: https://twitter.com/timesofindia/status/592209473541832704

(they were loading up the injured)

extra edit: A Singapore team is actually still considering going up the mountain, but they're going to wait a week before making their decision lol. http://www.straitstimes.com/news/singapore/more-singapore-stories/story/nepal-quake-singapore-everest-team-wait-week-decide-whet

keevo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 26, 2015

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm so glad I live in a country without earthquakes

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

The fat jokes are over.

stay safe obesity ghost

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
This was posted in the comments section of Alan Arnette's blog. Bet those people are dealing with some mixed emotions right now.

quote:

Fraudulent Everest Operator

“The first-ever case of fraud has been reported in more than 50-year history of mountaineering expeditions in Nepal after foreign climbers were duped of millions of rupees by an expedition operator,” The Himalayan Times reported on April 20th.

As per details, Tshering Dorjee Sherpa who operates “Himalayan Alpine Adventure Treks and Expeditions” was responsible for arrangement of Everest Northside permits and high-altitude services for eight-member Greek team and Indian lady Chandana Pradhan. However, Tshering Dorjee disappeared after collecting money from the teams.

Nikos Magitsis, team leader of Greek Expedition, told The Himalayan Times that he had already climbed K2 with this operator in 2011. Greek climbers will be flying back home, today. Indian lady is now trying to make arrangements for an attempt on Everest from Nepal side.

Gruss vom EBC!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The entire reason I liked reading this thread is because there was a mix of funny posting about people gambling their life away on a rock and actual good stories about mountain climbing. I learned a lot about mountains and the experiences of professional climbers from this thread. A lot of goons also shared personal climbing stories which entertaining as well.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

quote:

Nepalese Television (NTV) says Langtang Valley is completely destroyed with roughly two thousand people killed. #NepalQuake

also apparently nobody knows what happened near the epicenter yet which bodes ill :ohdear:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

I AM BRAWW posted:

The fat jokes are over.

Today's top stories: thousands die in earthquake, dozens die on mountain, and after the break: the Everest workout plan, is it for you?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Holy poo poo these people are hosed lol

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

also apparently nobody knows what happened near the epicenter yet which bodes ill :ohdear:

There's a lot of people on Twitter saying there's a group of people stuck at some Hotel located in that valley. Everyone seems to be repeating the same info about the area with no confirmation.

edit: Looks like a couple sherpas have found a way through the Khumbu Icefall to get back down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding
I'm sad that the google dude died. Google is cool. Now thre wont be any more streetview pics from mountaintops. :(

• Locked thread