Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

This friend I have keeps telling my to watch DxD, I really don't want to but I have one question.

Is it like PSG or much worse?

I haven't seen any of it, but if you'll look at the promo images, I think you'll have your answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I haven't seen any of it, but if you'll look at the promo images, I think you'll have your answer.

hmmm good point

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

try to suggest an activity you and your friend can do that isn't watching highschool d&d

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

try to suggest an activity you and your friend can do that isn't watching highschool d&d

he has some odd tastes in a lot of things, would not shut up about chaika or ping pong when they were airing

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well ping pong actually is good

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cake Attack posted:

well ping pong actually is good

It was okay, I didn't get the praise it has but it was okay.

It wasn't the second coming of anime like people had said.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

It was okay, I didn't get the praise it has but it was okay.

It wasn't the second coming of anime like people had said.

on second thought, you should just go ahead and watch whatever your friend tells you to watch

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

maybe not dxd specifically but just as a general life rule

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

on second thought, you should just go ahead and watch whatever your friend tells you to watch

I dunno it wasn't BAD, I didn't hate it I just found the story super predictable in the first few episodes. I mean I watched it all and it ended as I guessed it would have. The story just wasn't that interesting to me.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

he has some odd tastes in a lot of things, would not shut up about chaika or ping pong when they were airing

both those shwos are good

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Davincie posted:

both those shwos are good

Not saying they aren't chaika fun! Yes. Fun!

I saw the appeal of ping pong it just wasn't for me

He just doesn't watch anything pre Evangelian unless it is a manga

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 25, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Then what would you consider to be "second coming of anime" good if not Ping Pong?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ViggyNash posted:

Then what would you consider to be "second coming of anime" good if not Ping Pong?

Really don't know, I didn't know it needed one. It's fun as it is now so why not enjoy it?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Do you just not have opinions on things beyond "I enjoyed it"/"I did not enjoy it"?

I just find it hard for someone to watch a show like Ping Pong and have nothing more to say about it than that.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

ViggyNash posted:

Do you just not have opinions on things beyond "I enjoyed it"/"I did not enjoy it"?

I just find it hard for someone to watch a show like Ping Pong and have nothing more to say about it than that.

I see the appreciation of Ping Pong for the animation, I get why people liked it for that. However, to me it just seemed like another sports anime but something about the art style I didn't care about. Like seriously the plot was really bland, even space cobra does a better shot at sports... After watching a few sports anime I just didn't think it was all that great.

The plot was predictable without reading about it prior to, and seeing a few episodes if you have seen ANY sports anime prior to ping pong; You should know how it ends. The delivery was pretty stale never really giving me a reason to care about anything going on other than "this guy is important because he helped out this other robot guy", I never really got why I should care for any of the main cast, stories, or their goals. Yes some guy is over confident and doesn't practice his skill and fails to keep up. What of it happens all the time.

Again, I see why people like it and I am not saying it is a bad anime at all. It just wasn't as good as people hyped it to be and really wasn't that original for a sports anime. It just wasn't for me.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Dxd is basically your standard harem fanservice show. Watch it if that's your type of thing, it's probably one of the better ones of the lot in blending action with harem stuff, or at least the one that every other battle harem copies anyways. My friend watches it, but he admits he just likes titties. Then he started watching freezing and then I just considered him a lost cause.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

ViggyNash posted:

Hahahaha. This post.

Also, the answer is Chihayafuru. Duh.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Allarion posted:

Dxd is basically your standard harem fanservice show. Watch it if that's your type of thing, it's probably one of the better ones of the lot in blending action with harem stuff, or at least the one that every other battle harem copies anyways. My friend watches it, but he admits he just likes titties. Then he started watching freezing and then I just considered him a lost cause.

So it's not PSG V2, that's all I was wondering

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nowhere even close to being like PSG, yes.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Hahahaha. This post.

Sports anime loving rules.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Hahahaha. This post.

Until we get a season 3, Ping Pong's probably the best we'll get. :(

I see the appreciation of Ping Pong for the animation, I get why people liked it for that. However, to me it just seemed like another sports anime but something about the art style I didn't care about. Like seriously the plot was really bland, even space cobra does a better shot at sports... After watching a few sports anime I just didn't think it was all that great.

The plot was predictable without reading about it prior to, and seeing a few episodes if you have seen ANY sports anime prior to ping pong; You should know how it ends. The delivery was pretty stale never really giving me a reason to care about anything going on other than "this guy is important because he helped out this other robot guy", I never really got why I should care for any of the main cast, stories, or their goals. Yes some guy is over confident and doesn't practice his skill and fails to keep up. What of it happens all the time.

Again, I see why people like it and I am not saying it is a bad anime at all. It just wasn't as good as people hyped it to be and really wasn't that original for a sports anime. It just wasn't for me.

Ping Pong might technically be a sports anime, but it was very much focused on describing the personal journeys of the main cast and how their relationships affected each other. There was a level of nuance that you almost never see in anime (or even tv shows in general, really), which is what people caught onto and respected about it. At the very least, Ping Pong is pretty unique in both its art style and its rare brand of storytelling.

I'm not gonna hate you just because your measure for the quality of a piece of fiction is just "Was I entertained? Y/N", I wanted to understand why it had just about no impact on you beyond that.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Ping pong isn't even decisively the best thing Yuasa has done. If the dude has a lower opinion of you it does not say anything about the depth of which he is able to appreciate shows in this or ( not that I think you are making this particular point) any other medium.

Edit since this is recommendation thread: This is completely not new but people should really watch Tatami Galaxy. It gets recommended plenty so I'm sure I'm not blowing anyone's mind with that gem, but it really is a great time. Also hot tip. If you want to watch it using funimations app you can tap the commercials and then hit done on the resulting pop up to blow right past the ads. That way you don't have to watch that ninja turtles macaroni ad one thousand times. If you have been putting off watching now is a great time since this season seems a little spare.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 26, 2015

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neither of these things are odd taste, and it sounds like you know that, so not to go much into how good objectively ping pong or chaika is, but what made you think those were good examples to show off how odd your friend's tastes are?

You seem well aware of how well liked ping pong is around here, and it's not like chaika is some strange anime niche show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I don't know about any of his other stuff because I've only had time for Mind Game but Mind Game is really really awesome and I would recommend it as a first experience with Yuasa.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

While I am recommending poo poo: mangaka Yoshihiro Tatsumi died last month. His stuff is all wonderful if you have kind of a dim view of humanity as a whole and his auto biography A Drifting Life is great even if for some odd reason you don't. Of his collections of shorter works I prefer The Push Man and other stories. However Abandon the Old in Tokyo has one of my favorite and most haunting titles of anything. Drawn and Quarterly put out really nice editions of all of this stuff that can be found wherever great poo poo is sold.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Allarion posted:

DxD is semi interesting, as those sort of shows go, and does have some pretty big titties. (Specifically, it doesn't totally neuter the harem lead, and he's pretty blatant about WANTING a harem so it's funny / different in that respect. S1 is better than S2).

Freezing S1 is exploitative violent trash, which is fine if you like exploitative violent trash. Freezing S2 is both less violent and more ridiculously sexualized, and it boring to boot.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Ping Pong might technically be a sports anime, but it was very much focused on describing the personal journeys of the main cast and how their relationships affected each other. There was a level of nuance that you almost never see in anime (or even tv shows in general, really), which is what people caught onto and respected about it. At the very least, Ping Pong is pretty unique in both its art style and its rare brand of storytelling.

I'm not gonna hate you just because your measure for the quality of a piece of fiction is just "Was I entertained? Y/N", I wanted to understand why it had just about no impact on you beyond that.
maybe he just didn't find it that interesting jesus

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Viggy just trying to mold a better class of anime connoisseur and we all hating on him.

I believe in you Vigs. You'll get your short answer essay response someday.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DamnGlitch posted:

DxD is semi interesting, as those sort of shows go, and does have some pretty big titties. (Specifically, it doesn't totally neuter the harem lead, and he's pretty blatant about WANTING a harem so it's funny / different in that respect. S1 is better than S2).

Freezing S1 is exploitative violent trash, which is fine if you like exploitative violent trash. Freezing S2 is both less violent and more ridiculously sexualized, and it boring to boot.

Yeah, I've never actually watched it so I can't really speak for animation or direction, but I know a bunch about it due to binge reading a bunch of LNs a couple of months ago in a fit of madness. It's oddly compelling in that it's really self-aware about the fact that it's really dumb so there are moments where it just crosses a threshold of being really loving dumb and becomes really funny, where all of the supporting cast is so utterly dumbfounded when the main dude's love of titties just straights up starts altering reality and its rules. His inner dragon and its lifelong rival is so embarrassed by this fact that both become depressed and start needing therapy sessions, basically reconciling their eternal death battle because their current hosts are just too ridiculous. That and the main dude punching rear end in a top hat villains really really hard is very gratifying, but no idea if that translates into the show.

Freezing I just never bothered with on word of mouth, and my friend is apparently sick of it now so still not curious enough to care. I read the Breaker instead and was very happy with my choice.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

When I was in high school my now-girlfriend recommended the Freezing manga to me, which looking back on it was basically Attack on Titan, but with way more tits.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Viggy just trying to mold a better class of anime connoisseur and we all hating on him.

I believe in you Vigs. You'll get your short answer essay response someday.

I believe that one day anime critique will become an art form in itself, one worthy of the world's recognition, and thus anime will envelop the world.

And the world will be terrified.

But seriously, what shows have been on the level of Ping Pong in the last few years as far a storytelling goes? Kyousogiga, Chihayafuru, and From the New World are pretty much the only things that compare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly most shows

like i found all the characters in ping pong really boring and the art style incredibly unappealing

you think it's awesome and that's great but that doesn't make it being awesome a basic truth of the world.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

Ping Pong might technically be a sports anime, but it was very much focused on describing the personal journeys of the main cast and how their relationships affected each other.

The only way this sentence could be more obnoxious is if you called it a deconstruction.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sports rule and Ping Pong rules because it's a weird sport amped up to absurd intensity while still feeling naturalistic. We get characters with inner lives that they can't express in out loud but can through how they play the game. It's gotten so popular here not because it's particularly original or the characters are particularly cool (they're not, they're huge dorks). I do think it looks gorgeous, but it's sketchy style is just a part of the bigger whole. It all comes together and just feels so full of life.

Like of course you don't have to watch something you don't enjoy, but man I feel like all the versions of Ping Pong are a loving gift and I love them so much!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I feel like you just said the same thing you're giving viggy grief for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten posted:

:shrug: I like it because it's a cool sports anime and not because it transcends sports or whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tesla didn't claim that a sports anime is unique for being about characters' relationships so no not really

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Devil Tesla posted:

:shrug: I like it because it's a cool sports anime and not because it transcends sports or whatever.

Viggynash alt confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sorry if I'm obnoxious about Ping Pong, I just really like it and thought it was uncool that someone was acting like if you don't like Ping Pong you're an idiot. No one is going to enjoy something if you introduce it like that and I want people to get as much joy out of watching Ping Pong as I did!

• Locked thread